RegisterDonateLogin

All who gain Bloo Milk are afraid to lose it. Even the Jedi.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Who were the Winners at Gencon 2009? Options
Robin
Posted: Sunday, August 16, 2009 3:26:35 PM
Groups: Member

I know that not all of use were able to go to gencon this. However i for one am curious as to who won the overall 150 tournament, and what team he used to do it. I was wondering if someone who went could fill the rest of us in on just what the heck happened over in Indy. Thanks
Robin
Posted: Sunday, August 16, 2009 3:54:29 PM

K i got the results of the first place winner, it was Deri Morgan he ran a rebel squad w/

Luke Commando
Han Smuggler
Princess Leia
Madine
Elite Rebel Commando
Rieekan
Obi Wan Kenobi Spirit
Dodonna
R2 Recon
owaller3
Posted: Sunday, August 16, 2009 4:55:06 PM

Everyone played speedy 2.0. Deri and another guy who played a yobuck gungan squad were the only non-speedy players in the top 8. Lobosteel went 7-0 and everyone else was 6-1. The top 20 was about 9/10th speedy 2.0.
MAINEiac
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 10:36:13 AM

what is speedy 2.0?
Squid89
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 10:44:57 AM

MAINEiac wrote:
what is speedy 2.0?

It's a variation on this Rebel base squad:
Luke Snowspeeder
Princess Leia
Han, Smuggler
Rieekan
Dodonna

After that include Bothan Noble or Human Bodyguard or Lobot, etc

Big movement breaker in the Snowspeeder and the Princess (and Bothan) allows it (or Han) to take extra shots after her turn. Lots of damage output from the mobile shooters. Last year's variant (Speedy Cannon 1.0) mostly had Han, Scoundrel and no Rieekan. Sometimes has Luke's Landspeeder variant as well.
LandShark
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 11:06:58 AM

Im glad I didnt waste my time going to GenCon. Speedy Cannon is too dominant for me to traverse the country to play Speedy Cannon 4 out of 7 rounds of swiss.

Can you say boring? ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I am very happy to see Yobuck in the top. He is my favorite, and what I would have used if I attended GenCon.
Grand Admiral
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 11:54:24 AM

Gencon is so much more than just the championship. I'm sure some of you like/hate argue with or agree with several top players. Whatever your stance is now, if you go & meet them that can change. You'll begin to find that many of them are really great guys (& girls).

Yes, Speedy Cannon 2.0 did dominate (wasn't 9/10th of top).

In round 6 of 7 at the top 10 tables (20 people) there were approximately 14 cannons.
In round 7 of 7 at the top 10 tables there were 12, although I feel this was because the round before they probably knocked some of their own out. But 8 of us were not running the bird (Luke's Snowspeeder). I actually took my 100 point squad from the Jedi Challenge & modified it slightly & took it to 150. In the 100 pt. Jedi Challenge it went 4-0. The modification included YoBuck & started the tournament out going 4-1 (the 1 loss was to Deri). Then I lost the last 2 rounds to Cannon's (one of those being Bill). Overall I went 4-3 with 2 of my losses being to the top 2 guys in the whole thing. I traveled from Alaska. Did I regret going? HECK NO!!! I Loved every minute of it! Shook hands with every player I played, laughed, shouted, encouraged them when they got a sweet roll on one of my key pieces & jumped when I did on theirs. I am absolutely a competitive player, but I've changed enough that winning isn't everything. If the people I played didn't have an immensely great time then I didn't do my job. Overall I went 2-2 in the Championship against Cannon's. The only way a person would play 4-5 cannons like I did would be if you started out with 2-3 wins, probably all of the cannons finished in the top 1/2. The 1 tournament that I missed & regretted missing, the Team 200 Challenge: 3 players, separate factions, play a separate team of 3 players. 3 individual games. Totally cool! (btw only 1 of 3 could be Rebels, so there goes the meta :D )

I could go on for days, it was a 10!
Mickey
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 12:21:16 PM

I hope to be there next year. We are going to try to save up for it this time. We planned this year but with our other trip we kind of got depleted on the ole savings.

I'm not really sure I agree with all the hype that the squad type itself dominated the field. As someone else pointed out on WoTC the same players did well again and it just so happened alot of them used that particular squad type. I personally think that these guys would win playing about anything. I think it has alot to do with one good player playing it to show others who like it then copy it so that eventually alot of them are playing it. Deri actually said in the stream he stole the idea from Shinja ThumbsUp I'm sure there are plenty of squad types that can do well it just takes people willing to mix it up.
Robin
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 12:32:03 PM

I'm also bummed that i wasn't able to go, ill be going next year though. I have a question on the 3vs3 matches. I was wondering who won. I was asking because i was curious if like the top 3 teamed up to form an unbeatable team? I know that for 150 and 200 the most used fraction was rebels, but for the 3 vs 3 im curious if anyone knows what it is.
dnemiller
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 2:03:01 PM

LandShark wrote:
Im glad I didnt waste my time going to GenCon. Speedy Cannon is too dominant for me to traverse the country to play Speedy Cannon 4 out of 7 rounds of swiss.

I am very happy to see Yobuck in the top. He is my favorite, and what I would have used if I attended GenCon.

You have to be kidding right??????

Boring!?!?!? Boring?!!?!?

holy cow!!!! either you are the most competitive person on earth or you really have no clue how to have fun..... Really!!!

I spent over 37 hours judging and not getting to play and I had a blast!!!!

Gencon first and foremost is about the people in our community and how great they are.

Playing no matter what the squads is just icing on the cake!!!!!

Can I get a Sithlord AMEN!!!!!
kenred2
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 2:37:07 PM

dnemiller wrote:
LandShark wrote:

You have to be kidding right??????

Boring!?!?!? Boring?!!?!?

holy cow!!!! either you are the most competitive person on earth or you really have no clue how to have fun..... Really!!!

I spent over 37 hours judging and not getting to play and I had a blast!!!!

Gencon first and foremost is about the people in our community and how great they are.

Playing no matter what the squads is just icing on the cake!!!!!

Can I get a Sithlord AMEN!!!!!

lol, Amen dude, amen...

Question though... what are the qualifications to be a Gencon judge?
thanatos777
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 2:38:25 PM

The Meta really opened up, didn't it?
LOL
Draconarius
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 3:17:44 PM

thanatos777 wrote:
LOL

Better than 9/10 GOWK squads in the top 8. Glare
dnemiller
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 3:19:25 PM

thanatos777 wrote:
LOL

yes it really did.

Just because the maps restricted what was played at 150 doesnt mean it did not go crazy at 100 and 200.

Just so you know there are 2 other point formats. It is really good to see that snide remarks no matter how uninformed they are just get posted whether they are true or not. Yes your post has truly been an impressive feat or wisdom.

@kenred the judges are selected by the person in the top twenty in the DCI with the lowest IQ and that just happened to be me!!!!! BigGrin
billiv15
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 3:31:50 PM

Robin wrote:
I'm also bummed that i wasn't able to go, ill be going next year though. I have a question on the 3vs3 matches. I was wondering who won. I was asking because i was curious if like the top 3 teamed up to form an unbeatable team? I know that for 150 and 200 the most used fraction was rebels, but for the 3 vs 3 im curious if anyone knows what it is.

That is incorrect. The 200pt meta was not dominated by Rebels, in fact, I don't think anyone even went undefeated with it in 200. I went 3-1 with Republic, losing in the first round in a semi-mirror to my buddy Lou, but I believe the Uggernaught squad won it.

As for the teams, most people formed up as local areas, or with their friends. Some made teams ahead of time, and others made them at the con. No one tried to stack it, and honestly, there really isn't a way to do so. There are many variables in a format like that where each team has to use 3 different factions. BTW, my team did not use Rebels and we went 3-1 :)

Also, I beat a Slow Cannon squad, on Teth, with Imperials in one of the match ups :)
billiv15
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 3:38:05 PM

thanatos777 wrote:
LOL

Actually it did and you are pretty much being a jerk posting this. Clearly you weren't there, and have no idea what you are talking about.

Otherwise, you might recognize the real issues behind it all. 100 and 200 were wide open. 150 is currently restricted heavily by the maps in top level play, but there was still a wide diversity. I didn't play 10 straight speeder squads.

In fact, I played in the championship, where you always expect very little diversity, a Boba squad, a Landspeeder, a Yodabuck, 4 speeders (same person twice), and all three of those were quite different from one another, a TBSV squad, Deri's Lobbin Luke in the final, and something else I am forgetting right now.

Point is, there are reasons for what you have seen, that you and several others are ignoring or are simply ignorant of. Comments like this help no one and are insulting. Please think before you post crap like that.
Robin
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 3:43:44 PM

billiv15 wrote:
Robin wrote:

That is incorrect. The 200pt meta was not dominated by Rebels, in fact, I don't think anyone even went undefeated with it in 200. I went 3-1 with Republic, losing in the first round in a semi-mirror to my buddy Lou, but I believe the Uggernaught squad won it.

As for the teams, most people formed up as local areas, or with their friends. Some made teams ahead of time, and others made them at the con. No one tried to stack it, and honestly, there really isn't a way to do so. There are many variables in a format like that where each team has to use 3 different factions. BTW, my team did not use Rebels and we went 3-1 :)

Also, I beat a Slow Cannon squad, on Teth, with Imperials in one of the match ups :)

Wow really, i thought that the 200 was also mostly rebels. That was my mistake, i know you were there so, ill go by what you said. I was just curious as to what the 3 vs 3 was like, because it seems really fun to do. quick question for you bill i was wondering since you were, what was the most used fraction in the 3 vs 3. I would think that it would be rebel or sep's. Thanks
billiv15
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 3:53:06 PM

Robin wrote:

Wow really, i thought that the 200 was also mostly rebels. That was my mastake, i know you were there so, ill go by what you said. I was just curious as to what the 3 vs 3 was like, because it seems really fun to do. quick question for you bill i was wondering since you were, what was the most used fraction in the 3 vs 3. I would think that it would be rebel or sep's. Thanks

Yay, 200 was wide open. In a few days, I think all the top stuff will be posted so people will have a better idea of how it all came out. But also, people should remember, that sometimes, a final tourney report from one given day isn't the end all be all of the game either. The speeder itself is a very different beast than GOWK ever was.

As for the teams, man there was massive variety, so much so that it's hard to say what was most common. I guess maybe NR was the most popular. I think every opposing team we faced had an NR player. We didn't. Sep droids were popular, but not overwhelmingly so. There were several Sith, and even an OR build being played.

Our team used our personal favorite factions and styles. Dean went with a Republic Panaka squad that I made up a while ago now, kind of a gimmick for all comers with Yodabuck, Aurra, Rex, Roron, so you can kind pick and choose as needed. It's a very fun squad.

I ran a Cade BH, Vader Scorge B&B squad with Ozzel and Opp Thrawn. Believe it or not, I beat a well played Rebel speeder squad, that was basically a 150 squad with Dash and something else added to it. It was an absolute blast to play this!

And finally, Matt ran a Lancer squad with Sid, his personal favorite squad as well.

I guess for us, it came down to what we wanted to play in the team event, and I think most people did something more like that. We lost in the final round to the Texas boys, when Matt lost his lancer first round to a towed Rex, and Dean lost a last minute game to Frank, I won mine that round, which was the Rebel battle on Teth. I was the one who was supposed to lose lol. It was a ton of fun.

Also, I will add, in Tile wars, all but one faction was represented. The one not played by anyone, was Rebels :)
Robin
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 3:58:12 PM

hmmm thanks
billiv15
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 4:05:39 PM

You know, I was a little harsh in a previous post there. I will leave it up, but I wanted to add this.

The competitive game is always a work in progress. GOWK had to go (and btw, many of the people who wanted him banned have been working very hard on a real fix to bring him back - stay tuned for more in the coming months I believe). But anyways, sometimes improvements take a while to bear out. With that said, there is more work to be done, and I have been working on several ideas for a couple of months on it. Fairly soon I will be posting a thread with my proposals (not all my own ideas, just a consolidated list of changes) that will help us continue to make it better in many ways.

For example, and I don't think this is letting too much out of the bag, but I want to have more formats available to DCI play. In particular, I am looking at three, Championship, Open and Huge. Open, will hopefully have every map made by WotC being legal (with the exception of Endor and the Hoth plains maps of course). So before you decide it's cool to make snide little comments, I think take a second and think about who you are insulting with them. Some of us work very hard to try and make the game better, and I personally know almost all of them. I don't take those comments lightly. Just because you might not agree with a particular decision, does not mean it's wrong, and it does not mean you should be throwing out insulting one liners because you think it's funny. Please have a little respect for others.