RegisterDonateLogin

You want this...don't you?

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Who were the Winners at Gencon 2009? Options
Darth_Jim
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 4:13:17 PM
Groups: Member

The only people who are calling it boring seem to be the ones who weren't there. I was...I played what most people would consider a tier 2 squad using a couple of Rebel Vanguards. Still, I went 4-3 in the National Championship finishing 29th and going 1-1 against speeder builds, my win coming despite losing map choice and not choosing the preferred side. Has anyone noticed that the same players keep rising to the top? Could it POSSIBLY be that Bill and some of the others running speeder have just a little ability? Deri put together a great build, and there were other atypical builds like the gungan build and the landspeeder that did great. I was there and while I saw a lot of speeder builds, the final 4 contained just 1. That told me that the great players will win with superior builds and strategy regardless of faction.
Oh, and the only zzzz'ing I was doing was from staying up 39 straight hours because I had to drive all night to get there. It was a great weekend with competitive play in all of the events. I got to meet a lot of great people who have contributed so much to this game to bring it to where it is today. That's not to say there aren't issues and things to improve. There are, and everyone's input is necessary to get the game to where we all want it to be. We should discuss and even argue to try and work issues out, not whine and make snide remarks based on hearsay. If you truly want to make the game better then join the discussions with pertinant questions and opinions voiced in a civil manner.
Darth_Jim
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 4:22:49 PM

Forgot Dean's sithlord amen....BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

lol
thanatos777
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 5:00:38 PM

dnemiller wrote:
thanatos777 wrote:
The Meta really opened up, didn't it?
LOL

yes it really did.

Just because the maps restricted what was played at 150 doesnt mean it did not go crazy at 100 and 200.

Just so you know there are 2 other point formats. It is really good to see that snide remarks no matter how uninformed they are just get posted whether they are true or not. Yes your post has truly been an impressive feat or wisdom.

@kenred the judges are selected by the person in the top twenty in the DCI with the lowest IQ and that just happened to be me!!!!! BigGrin

billiv15 wrote:
thanatos777 wrote:
LOL

Actually it did and you are pretty much being a jerk posting this. Clearly you weren't there, and have no idea what you are talking about.

Otherwise, you might recognize the real issues behind it all. 100 and 200 were wide open. 150 is currently restricted heavily by the maps in top level play, but there was still a wide diversity. I didn't play 10 straight speeder squads.

In fact, I played in the championship, where you always expect very little diversity, a Boba squad, a Landspeeder, a Yodabuck, 4 speeders (same person twice), and all three of those were quite different from one another, a TBSV squad, Deri's Lobbin Luke in the final, and something else I am forgetting right now.

Point is, there are reasons for what you have seen, that you and several others are ignoring or are simply ignorant of. Comments like this help no one and are insulting. Please think before you post crap like that.

Notice the Lol. You think if I really believed that, I would have written a HUGE thesis on it? You two need to roll with the punches, live life lightly, and NOT take things personal. Why do you take all the comments these kids write so serious anyways?
General Ed
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 5:40:28 PM

Sounds like GenCon was a blast. I've heard From Darth Jim and Grand Admiral on several things already. Would have been great to been there and play. I know, though, that I am no great player. Still can have a great time losing. Tongue As I have had several times in Darth Jims Basement. The Great Uggernaught squad I hear was the talk of the week end... great job to you Grand Admiral! Woot!
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 12:37:14 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Robin wrote:
K i got the results of the first place winner, it was Deri Morgan he ran a rebel squad w/

Luke Commando
Han Smuggler
Princess Leia
Madine
Elite Rebel Commando
Rieekan
Obi Wan Kenobi Spirit
Dodonna
R2 Recon

Classic characters in a "movie" style squad that won...now that's Star Wars. BlooMilk
Very Endorish don't you think? (even Obi Spirit made an appearance...at the end) Just missing C3P0...would have been funny to fit in Crappio.
DarthJak
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 1:38:40 AM

billiv15 wrote:
thanatos777 wrote:
LOL

Actually it did and you are pretty much being a jerk posting this. Clearly you weren't there, and have no idea what you are talking about.

Point is, there are reasons for what you have seen, that you and several others are ignoring or are simply ignorant of. Comments like this help no one and are insulting. Please think before you post crap like that.

thanatos777 is a jerk? have you read what you posted?
"Comments like this help no one and are insulting. Please think before you post crap like that"
DarthJak
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 1:44:20 AM

LandShark wrote:
Im glad I didnt waste my time going to GenCon. Speedy Cannon is too dominant for me to traverse the country to play Speedy Cannon 4 out of 7 rounds of swiss.

Can you say boring? ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Waste?! Waste you say? no LandShark not a waste. GenCon is a gamer's orgasm.
Eroschilles
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 1:59:08 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Ewww, gamers orgasming en masse at a convention... Icky...

Anywho, sounds like GenCon was fun for those who attended. And boring for those who did not attend??? Then everyone should be happy, I guess. I hope I can go next year. I had really hoped to go this year, but being poor is a real bummer. I intend to go next year, maybe I can convince a couple of people at my LGS to go with me.

But yeah, good luck to those who are diligently working on fixing the banned guy. I don't like the concept of banning things, so hopefully he can get fixed and unbanned. I've seen good ideas tossed around already to fix the problem.
dhoomraider
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 9:54:56 AM

When do you think we should get a full report on all the winners and a list of their squads?
billiv15
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 10:04:53 AM

dhoomraider wrote:
When do you think we should get a full report on all the winners and a list of their squads?

I would say sometime this week or next. I know someone posted they planned to have it all soon, not sure if it was Nickname, Jim or someone else. I am sure when it's posted someone will link it here.
LandShark
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 10:26:43 AM

In no way, shape, or form would I ever think that Gencon is not worth attending. I understand that it consists of a lot more than just the Championship. I'm sure it's the greatest gaming event in the country. I plan on attending it next year, even if I have to skip the Championship if i'm still unsatisfied with the state of the metagame at that time.

It was a personal choice I made not to go. I decided spending my hard earned money on something else would be more rewarding, rather than spending it to traverse across the country to play Speedy Cannon for up to 8hrs.

I know Gencon is the optimal place to play, and to meet other players from across the world. Its a shame I missed it I know. :(

However I do not regret my decision as the Championship results are even worse than I expected. Im so dissapointed that our game is limited to Rebel Toolbox squads.

I know I made the right decision for me, because it is almost hockey season and I have an extra 1,000 bucks to spend on Sharks Games!!!!

Fair?
billiv15
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 10:37:05 AM

LandShark wrote:

It was a personal choice I made not to go. I decided spending my hard earned money on something else would be more rewarding, rather than spending it to traverse across the country to play Speedy Cannon for up to 8hrs.

It's fair to feel that way, but it really wasn't like that. Like I said, only 4 out of my 10 games were against another Speeder, and 2 were the same player since we met in Swiss and again in the top 8.

I guess you just have to be there to understand why it wasn't as bad as you are making it out to be. Even the other speeder squads I faced weren't carbon copies of one another, or mine. And the games I had against other squads like the Boba Cannon, and the Yodabuck Rex swap were equally challenging and fun.

I just don't see why you feel the need to justify your decision not to attend by lambasting the meta and what people were playing. Perhaps competitive play is not your thing, be ok with that and leave it alone. If it is, then you have to deal with whatever the meta turns out to be.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 11:04:23 AM

i would have loved to go this year, but it was not possibleBored
im pretty sure i would have gotten my teeth kicked in, because i have yet to play a DCI based game, Gambit and such. i know how to play it (thanks to Mickey and Sithborg), but we dont have it yet in Nashville.
YET is the operative word. 3 years ago, me and my buddy got into this game, then we got our wives into it.
3 years later, we are 7 strong (not including our wives, well, because theyd rather watch "Chelsea Lately" or "True Blood").
So this is what i ask, and it may be tough to do.

i want to start a league, im not sure what criteria is to meet it, but i am positive that it can be met. i have a local game shoppe a half a mile from my house, which is where we buy most of our minis, that and Books A Million.
can someone, or everyone please tell me what needs to be done, because i swear i will do whatever it takes to get it done. i just need the help.
Nashville gets left out on all the promos, maps etc., and im sick of it. its time that we Nashvillians got our shizz straight, because we are in the heart of all this competitive gaming, with many fine gamers. i play for fun, and i play for bragging rights, as we all do. i want to play with my out of state neighbors, i want to play with as many people as i can.

i will actually now turn this into its own thread, because i think it will get more exposure for my questions that need answers.
but i want to thank all of you have who have lit this fire under my Arse, and that goes for every single gamer on this board, whether we have spoke or not.
LandShark
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 11:04:32 AM

billiv15 wrote:
LandShark wrote:

It's fair to feel that way, but it really wasn't like that. Like I said, only 4 out of my 10 games were against another Speeder, and 2 were the same player since we met in Swiss and again in the top 8.

I guess you just have to be there to understand why it wasn't as bad as you are making it out to be. Even the other speeder squads I faced weren't carbon copies of one another, or mine. And the games I had against other squads like the Boba Cannon, and the Yodabuck Rex swap were equally challenging and fun.

I just don't see why you feel the need to justify your decision not to attend by lambasting the meta and what people were playing. Perhaps competitive play is not your thing, be ok with that and leave it alone. If it is, then you have to deal with whatever the meta turns out to be.

Your right Bill. I have a huntch it's not as bad as I make it out to be. Im sure something like this happens every year after Gencon. It's only natural one would think. Isn't it?

I just look at the facts though. Which are Rebels, Rebels, Rebels... and more Rebels. And that is flat out annoying to someone who doesnt care for them in any way, and who would have to come all the way from Cali just to face them game after game.

I have a voice, and the right to speak out with it. Therefore I choose to justify my reasons for not attending in such ways. After all, Isnt that what the boards are for?

I just want to point out that this convo is out of context, so if it seems rude in anyway I appolgize. I have the upmost respect for my peers and fellow players. All of them.

Im just frustrated that the last few sets have done nothing but hurt the Republic, and help the Rebels.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 12:08:46 PM

Sharky,
you will soon learn that every thread on this board will always ends up out of context. its just where typical conversation goes. ofcourse we are all entitled to our opinions (Heck, i hate the rebels sooooooo much, that i even got rid of my rebel army, the whole lot of 1500 pts., speeders and all.)
how we display our opinions is the key. i can go on all day about how cheap the rebels can be in competitive play, because in all honesty, they are just that, cheap. BUT....

...any squad, if built the right way, can be cheap.
take darth Sidious sith Lord from JA, put him with a sith heavy assault droid, pawn of the darkside him, and he can get 4 twin attacks. his shields would save him from taking that piddly 10 damage easily!
like i said yesterday, squad building is the name of the game.
you hate the rebels?
build a thrawn swap squad with Moff Nyna Calixte and a buttload of Grans, throw in vader unleashed with mas amedda, and its a cheap festival! fun on top of that too!!

on the boards though, we have to be careful (and i include myself aswell. cant tell you how many times ive pissed people off with my opinions on this board), because i dont like it when people state their opinions that might tick me off.
it falls into the "do unto others" category.
LandShark
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 5:42:11 PM

Mandalore Da Beast wrote:
Sharky,
you will soon learn that every thread on this board will always ends up out of context. its just where typical conversation goes. ofcourse we are all entitled to our opinions (Heck, i hate the rebels sooooooo much, that i even got rid of my rebel army, the whole lot of 1500 pts., speeders and all.)
how we display our opinions is the key. i can go on all day about how cheap the rebels can be in competitive play, because in all honesty, they are just that, cheap. BUT....

...any squad, if built the right way, can be cheap.
take darth Sidious sith Lord from JA, put him with a sith heavy assault droid, pawn of the darkside him, and he can get 4 twin attacks. his shields would save him from taking that piddly 10 damage easily!
like i said yesterday, squad building is the name of the game.
you hate the rebels?
build a thrawn swap squad with Moff Nyna Calixte and a buttload of Grans, throw in vader unleashed with mas amedda, and its a cheap festival! fun on top of that too!!

on the boards though, we have to be careful (and i include myself aswell. cant tell you how many times ive pissed people off with my opinions on this board), because i dont like it when people state their opinions that might tick me off.
it falls into the "do unto others" category.

Lol. Well said Mr. Mandalore

I was just throwing it out there because I dont want to anger anyone unintentionally.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 11:08:13 AM

good call.ThumpUp
owaller3
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 3:40:48 PM

billiv15 wrote:
thanatos777 wrote:
LOL

I was there and the meta was pretty stale. It was boring because if you weren't playing stall cannon you didn't have much of chance. My matches against stall cannon came down to one key initiative where if I won it I would kill leia and then be able to kill off Han with Rex. Every time I won the init I won the match and every time I lost the init I lost the match. It was stale and repetitive to the point where I knew each move the other player was going to make before they did and because of my squad selection there was little to nothing I could do. I was tempted to play stall cannon but after playing Viable at regionals which relies on the sample principle of stall stall stall I couldn't stomach another tournament playing each match to time. That's why I played Yobuck. Against most squads it won without taking it to time. I practiced against stall cannon and developed a strategy to beat it. I just didn't imagine having to face 4 of them.
Robin
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 4:10:37 PM

owaller3 wrote:
billiv15 wrote:
thanatos777 wrote:
LOL

I was there and the meta was pretty stale. It was boring because if you weren't playing stall cannon you didn't have much of chance. My matches against stall cannon came down to one key initiative where if I won it I would kill leia and then be able to kill off Han with Rex. Every time I won the init I won the match and every time I lost the init I lost the match. It was stale and repetitive to the point where I knew each move the other player was going to make before they did and because of my squad selection there was little to nothing I could do. I was tempted to play stall cannon but after playing Viable at regionals which relies on the sample principle of stall stall stall I couldn't stomach another tournament playing each match to time. That's why I played Yobuck. Against most squads it won without taking it to time. I practiced against stall cannon and developed a strategy to beat it. I just didn't imagine having to face 4 of them.

Owaller3, im curious what your strategy is for beating speedy cannon, i want to see if it's the same as mine, or it's a different one i could use. If you don't mind telling it that is. I'm sure i'm not the only person who has to play against these squads, that would like to work a possibly new counter in against them.
billiv15
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 4:41:32 PM

owaller3 wrote:
I was tempted to play stall cannon but after playing Viable at regionals which relies on the sample principle of stall stall stall I couldn't stomach another tournament playing each match to time. That's why I played Yobuck. Against most squads it won without taking it to time. I practiced against stall cannon and developed a strategy to beat it. I just didn't imagine having to face 4 of them.

Only two of my games went to time, and only one was against another speeder. So that's 8 games with the speeder, not going to time for other people.