RegisterDonateLogin

Will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

I'm Not Happy Options
defender390
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 2:14:11 PM
Groups: Member

When I first put my trades online, I did not expect to get offers really soon. Unfortunately, some people had to wait a month for a reply. I apoligized and declined the offers. Most of them replied back and said they already traded the pieces away anyway. Ever since then, I have replied when I have seen new messages regardless of the contents of the trade.
swinefeld
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 3:03:10 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

dalsiandon wrote:
I tend to respond promptly. Not always, but I try. But agian if it's just a trade PM, I send off five or six requests with the expectation that they might not respond. I think It's polite to respond, but I can understand SB just ignoring it. And I wouldn't call him rude for doing so, considering he doesn't have a trade list available

Totally agree that Sithborg is an exception here - no trades list or trade thread, yet receiving unsolicited offers. That is a clear case for non-response, and also IMO possibly about the only one... BlooMilk

Edit: On second thought, offers for things from your collection (not trades) as Chuckafett mentioned are just about equivalent.
swinefeld
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 3:45:46 PM

Dr. Destructo wrote:
well here I disagree, the value of the mini can vary from person to person depending on experience with the game or what they use it for. There are those who may only collect SWM for its rpg value which could be different from that minis competitive value. Beyond that, not everyone cares about making trades based 100% on the monetary value of the minis either. So, determining what is fair can be hard for some people coming from different perspectives. Of course, I'm not saying a trade for Boba, BH will ever be fair if it's for a Duros Scoundrel or something, but I would hope anyone could see the flaw in that deal. Though if I saw that in my inbox, I'd still respond. I may not be happy, but I'd respond.

I have to agree with Dr. Destructo on this one. As someone who has made around 45 trades on Bloomilk to date, I've had many deals that are lopsided based solely on market value. Some traders have gone over the top on deals with me either because they really wanted what I had, or they just didn't care about or use the minis I wanted - or they are just plain generous. ThumpUp BlooMilk

Like wise, I have done the same. To quote a friend here who I hope to meet in person someday, and with whom I made what was probably my first really big trade (quite a few minis exchanged, and some expensive ones):

Quote:
"I like trades that everyone likes"

- meaning, as long as both parties are happy with the deal, "value" isn't really that important. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying market value isn't a valid consideration when negotiating deals (I pretty much always use it as a starting point, but sometimes it's just irrelevant in the end) - I am just saying (as Dr. D did) that everyone has their own idea of what a mini is worth to them. After all they are just little plastic guys - "toys" as my wife calls them. RollEyes

But I digress...majorly Razz
So, I would still respond to a really weak offer - and point out the imbalance to the other person. Heck, they may be new to the trading game as I was not very long ago...

p.s. - the "friend" I mentioned is StoneThrowingEwok - a great trader - so check out his trades/wants and help him finish his collection BlooMilk
Darth Percocet
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 6:29:18 AM

Seeing that i might log-on here more than once a day, i only log on maybe 5 minutes at a time, sometimes might be a little longer. So if i have pm's in my inbox, i just wait till that night to reply to them or maybe might even go a couple days.

I try answering them all but sometimes ill have like 20 new pm's. I basically made it to myself that if i get a ridiculous trade offer that makes me laugh thinking wow this guy actually had the paint balls to ask me to trade this piece for his, there the ones i dont reply to.

I say this, if your gonna make a trade offer, you gotta make it somewhat reasonable. Bottom line is this site provides an average price for most of the figures if not all of them, so people do look at prices & compare them now alot more.So having a $20 difference in a trade that your offering i think is ridiculous, but up to the person your offering it to. I try keeping it pretty balanced & people who traded with me know this, that when i get an offer thats alot in my favor, i ask is that person can shoot me a quick Uc's & C's list of chasers they are looking for to try balancing it out somewhat. I dont feel right taking advantage of people. Thats the path to the Dark Side of the force lol.

So point is, some people that dont reply to your pm's, dont take offense to it. It just might be they have 40 pm's in there box & its a pain replying to all of them. For me i have dial-up connection so it takes a good minute to open up a new page. Also try keeping your pm if your offering a trade pretty balanced. Nobody wants to put you out there for offering a totally unbalanced trade in your favor. I try being a nice as i can be, but some people still take offense to it. You gotta think, would you actually trade the piece your asking for, for what your offering to that person? If not than i would say come up with a better offer. Just try keeping offers reasonable & in balance somewhat i say. Its not the complete 100% reason of why pm's get ignored, but i would say has a good % of why alot are.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 6:35:58 AM

I use these basic principles: (under "Collection")
If I have it in my "Trades" section, then I am willing to trade it.
If it's in my "Wants", then I am looking for it. (and thus, willing to trade for it)
And if it's in my "Haves", I never offer trades for those ones, as my "Haves" is made up of the minis I will not trade. (unless I chose otherwise)

Shinja did a great job in setting up those separate areas in the collection section and I love using them.
swinefeld
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 7:04:26 AM

imyurhukaberry wrote:
I use these basic principles: (under "Collection")
If I have it in my "Trades" section, then I am willing to trade it.
If it's in my "Wants", then I am looking for it. (and thus, willing to trade for it)
And if it's in my "Haves", I never offer trades for those ones, as my "Haves" is made up of the minis I will not trade. (unless I chose otherwise)

Shinja did a great job in setting up those separate areas in the collection section and I love using them.

Exactly BlooMilk

And as Darth Perc pointed out, we also have a nifty price comparison feature to work with as well. Can't begin to calculate the time that has saved me (used to check prices on 3 or 4 retailer sites to get some sort of an average).

I have studiously avoided posting a trade thread (except for special requests), and at this point I just may complete the collection without doing so. It is super-efficient, and I wish ALL the traders here would make use of it ThumpUp
Bacaras 66
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 7:53:48 AM

@ Op, Aye mate its definitely annoying, but i guess not everyone is on daily. Sadly a lot of people don't have a shred of courtesy. The worst is when they never respond at all, and you can see that they have been active. If you don't like the proposed trade, just say so so i can be on my way :D!
dalsiandon
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 7:55:17 AM

This is the best of the SWM trade areas peroid. It allows you tyo search in a far mroe effective mannor then Gamers or WOTC. I almost exclusively do all my trading here now because of it. Nothing wrong with the other sites, I have good trade scores on both of them. But I don't have the desire to spend 35 or 45 minutes hunting through thread after thread looking for what someone might have when I cna come here and don't have to guess. Not to mention the fact that I don't need to bump my thread every couple of days in hopes someone might look into it. Not to mention the search funtion at WOTC is not that helpful when trade searching.

So it's easy to see who has what available, and it's a shame on yourself for sending a trade offer on this site to someone who doesn't even have such items listed or posted. Of course they're gonna ignore you.

And again spread the love around (so to speak) don't put all your trade hope in one basket.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 12:09:55 AM

dalsiandon wrote:
So it's easy to see who has what available, and it's a shame on yourself for sending a trade offer on this site to someone who doesn't even have such items listed or posted. Of course they're gonna ignore you.

This is very important.

Also, I have had people list things under their "Trades" section and after sending them a message they tell me that those minis aren't for trade. Silly me for thinking they were! Blink