RegisterDonateLogin

Would never consciously betray the Rebellion.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Poll Question : What house rule should I use to "fix" GOWK?
Choice Votes Statistics
Get rid of Mettle 14 34.146341 %
Get rid of MotF 2 5 12.195121 %
SSM: +4 Def. and -10 dmg. from attacks 1 2.439024 %
SSM: No dmg. from nonadjacent attacks, save 6 2 4.878048 %
SSM: No dmg. nonadjacent save 6; adjacent save 16 1 2.439024 %
Other 18 43.902439 %

Help me pimp my GOWK Options
death by wookie 89
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 1:16:12 PM
Groups: Member

Make change to SSM to non adjacent attacks thats what it was iun KoToR2 to my understanding
SavageJediExile
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 1:24:32 PM

Opan Windu wrote:
My house rules for GOWK are to drop both mettle and MOTF2 then change his cost to an even 50. I know its a big change but it works out all right.

I agree with opan windu drop both mettle and MOTF2 but dont drop the cost because he still has that nasty commander effect.
SavageJediExile
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 1:32:42 PM

i went with other but drop mettle and MOTF2. make SSM: No dmg. nonadjacent save ( 11 ); adjacent save 16

soresu style was a blaster deflect type of style but you should still have the chance to block a melee attack with it too.
Evman678
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 2:06:43 PM

I think he should stay as is but cost 15-20 points more
LandShark
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 4:00:36 PM

billiv15 wrote:
LandShark wrote:
My solution to fixing GOWK has always been to remove Mettle.

Which does almost nothing. Clearly you have not playtested this, or even done the most basic of math on it.

I suggest, to start with, drop MotF2.

But that isn't quite enough in reality either. Dean suggests then make SSM work on the first 20pts of damage only as well.

GOWK needs a significant reduction in power to be a good mini. There are no simple errata's that both maintain flavor completely, and reduce his power to an acceptable level. It pretty much has to be something drastic like I posted.

It respectfully disagree with you. The most simple solution is the best one. Losing Mettle is a good idea. He will still be super strong, but there will be no mettle stacking going on that can be abusive.

It would be to hard to get the word out that GOWK has been fixed in 3 different ways. Just losing 1 ability seems to be the easiest fix.

*Shrugs*
StevenO
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 4:42:57 PM

I marked down changing SSM so that it is like SS except only Save 6 against non-adjacent attacks instead of Save 11 although that alone wouldn't fix GOWK. With that change he'd still be vulnerable to melee attacks but when combined with Mettle would be all but immune to ranged attack and adding MOTF2 fixes that issue.

Now if you are just going to lose a single ability and make no other changes then I'd say Mettle needs to go as its stacking is what makes this abusive. Without Mettle SSM only has a 75% chance at stopping damage with one FP and an 88% chance with two FP vs the 85% and 98.5% chances that exist now.
EmporerDragon
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 4:45:17 PM

LandShark wrote:

It respectfully disagree with you. The most simple solution is the best one. Losing Mettle is a good idea. He will still be super strong, but there will be no mettle stacking going on that can be abusive.

It would be to hard to get the word out that GOWK has been fixed in 3 different ways. Just losing 1 ability seems to be the easiest fix.

It doesn't make a big enough change.

With Mettle GOWK's chance at making a save is 85% with 1 fp spent and 98.5% with 2 fp spent.

Without Mettle, those numbers drop to 75% and 87.5% respectively.

And that's not even factoring in the number needed to roll to even hit him in the first place.

kimble29
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 5:41:19 PM

Evman678 wrote:

I think he'd make a nice 75 point figure.
graloth
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 10:15:40 PM

change SSM back to melee attacks
he was fine the way he was. cheap and great yet beatable.
or liek death by wookie 89 said
death by wookie 89 wrote:
Make change to SSM to non adjacent attacks thats what it was iun KoToR2 to my understanding

wow that was hard
Opan Windu
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 10:24:27 PM

If you make it just melee then it would be parry and just non melee woud make it evade its kind of the point he has both in one, otherwise it would just say parry/evade.
Xeonaught
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 10:41:11 PM

ever since the ban iv been using this guy less and less. i think iv used him once since the ban. just dosnt seem right
Zalkrie
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 10:53:40 PM

Evman678 wrote:

I agree Evan....I think making him a 75 point figure is a great Idea and should have been his cost to begin with. Leave him as is and raise his point value and now he is not so dominant.
Nogo Nabelyk
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 12:18:59 AM

I would agree with increasing his point value. If GMLS is 115 pts, and a Youngling is 5 pts, where on that scale should GOWK be?
pitcherstar
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 1:47:59 AM

I would suggest just removing MOTF 2. With only renewal 1 and his laughable damage output, he's not a huge threat in casual games with no timer and the ability to win a game 20-5 is eliminated, IMHO his high survivability is actuallly just about worth his cost.

Obi-Wan won't go down quickly, but he also can't do much damage on his own. That is his downside and in casual games, if you limit the rerolling to once a SSM save attempt, in a casual game, he becomes less of a problem because games tend to go to completion, as opposed to competitive games which tend to get called on time.
Darth_Sharatec
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 3:43:51 AM

This might well be a bad idea, but my friend and I are playing GOWK with a removal of Force Point Recovery and a FP increase to 5... And a gentlemens' agreement not to Force Spirit him.

This has only been tested once, though.
Boris
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:05:14 AM

I've been tinkering with this on my own for the last couple of weeks, since I got back from GenCon.

I have told Dean that I don't think his idea "flows" with the basic style of Soresu, and that it probably should.

So we have Soresu Style: When hit by an attack from a nonadjacent enemy, this character takes no damage with a save of 11.

Then we have Soresu Style Mastery: When hit by an attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11.

So clearly the idea was to build on preventing damage from shooters to add melee to the mix. I have tinkered with the piece, played about 5 or 6 games, and this is what I came up with.

General Obi-Wan Kenobi 55 pts.
120 HP
22 Defense
+14 Attack
20 Damage

Special Abilities
Unique. Melee Attack; Double Attack.
Soresu Style Mastery (When this character is hit by an attack from a nonadjacent enemy or by a melee attack, it takes no damage with a save of 11.)

Force Powers
Force 2. Force Renewal 1. Master of the Force 2
Knight Speed
Force Push 3

Commander Effect
Followers within six squares of at least one ally gain +4 attack and +4 defense.

What has typically happened is that SSM has become very much like Evade and Parry rolled into one. Shooters can base GOWK to defeat it. It also doesn't get auto-damage negation since Mettle is gone. Out of the handful of games I've played with it, GOWK was still a threat, but not to the point that the stuff I threw against it had to be designed to deal specifically with GOWK. All it took was swapping Rex adjacent, while blasting away multiple shots from range that eventually get through.
Space Jawa
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:23:00 AM

You seek the path of the Dark Side. The quick and easy path which is more seductive.

I've said it once before, I and I'll keep saying it. I would much rather prefer that Obi-Wan stay banned rather than they try to change what's written on his card after the fact, then wait to un-ban him till after he can be suitably countered (or people realize he can be suitably countered, whichever the case may be). With that, I think the only option that can be changed to him without editing his card is to make it so that Mettle can't stack, which is something I wouldn't be opposed to.

But may we please consider the fact that there are ways of beating him? Anti-Force bubbles and sever force to counter his force powers? Disruption against his CE? Attacks that can't be rolled against? How long DID they wait to see if anti-Obi-Wan tactics could be developed before they decided to ban him, anyway?
billiv15
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:27:15 AM

I like that solution Dennis.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:48:17 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

It looks like he would still be undercosted at 55pts, but your suggestions Boris would appear to make him managable in the time limit. I definitely like the tweak to SSM.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:34:11 AM

this is where i will catch flak.
i say we just bring him back, period.
there is no sense in making a mini to then have him banned.
you make a house rule, or an actual rule:
if you are going to use a GOWK squad, you have to tell yer opponent before set up, so he can then build something to counter it.
i cant tell you how many times that little house rule has either made me, or broke me. if i use him, someone usually always counters him with mandalorians or a really good NR squad. lets face it, he cant make every Soresu save, and he can only spend so many FPs to make the saves. a smart player can shoot at GOWK all day, and eventually deplete his FPs to the point where if he doesnt make those saves, he will take alot of damage. thats why i still love my GOWK, because if he isnt completely "Broken", there are ways to get rid of him.
GMLS comes to mind when facing GOWK. GOWK doesnt stand a chance against a based GMLS. sure, GMLS is pricey, but to me, hes just as "Broken" as GOWK, the only differance is point cost.