RegisterDonateLogin

Was a good friend.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

How do you play? Options
Xeonaught
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 10:48:17 PM
Groups: Member

Ok well it is a strange topic but how do you play swm.

I play on the basis that i am going to win initiative when i need it. also that all my attacks are going to hit and that they are gunna miss every attack and save. haha its a dumb way of playing because i either win big time or lose big time. I build squads around what would be fun then i pick people who i like, then who i dont use often, then which is a good all round caracter. I am obsessed with certain pieces and bring in commanders to boost them up ( my current favs are republic commando sevs, just cus you can give them triple with greater mobile and super stealth and a whole bunch of other stuff ) and thats about it. Its more looking at the flaws of the way i play but it works for me. what do you think.

Tbh i started this topic then wish i hadnt but since i cant take it down i gess ill just have to hope it works
Nogo Nabelyk
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 12:29:38 AM

Been playing Star Wars for maybe a month now. I really like the strategy, the tactics, and the luck is always fun to laugh at. As for the gameplay, I try to think about my moves, keep my characters together, keep my characters alive...

Until I feel pressured for one reason or another. Then I get hasty, make a mistake, see the mistake, pay for the mistake, and yeah. I'll end up hiding when I should rush, charging the enemy when it's not safe, or splitting my forces and end up watching them slowly die one by one.

I'm hoping with more experience I can get better. Maybe...
AdmiralAckbar
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 1:17:45 AM

I play safe and play at my own pace. I check corners, check for line of sight, escape routes, gambit, cover, I play like I won’t win initiative so I try to keep my characters out of LOS, I use Tempo and door control to my full advantage, on the outside I play to have fun but on the inside I’m looking for challenges.ThumpUp
Jester007
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 6:13:52 AM

Jawas... lots and lots of jawas!!!

But in more seriousness, I normally play something that I'm going to have fun with. Only at a competitive tournament will I try and bring a good squad. Other than that, I tend to go with what I feel like playing.

Sincerely,
Jester007
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:19:54 AM

depends on who im playing really.
theres a couple of guys down here (other then myself) that play really well. its alsmost like playing them in chess. if im facing them, i play to destroy their squad before they try to destroy mine. everyone else i play, its all for fun. ill whip out some jawa scavengers and some ugnaught droid destroyers with a butt load of Ces, and hope for the best.
if im getting the floor mopped with my face, ill start to hold back, and hopefully my opponent will take the bait. the same goes for me getting out activated.
Squid89
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:17:41 AM

My builds basically start with a piece or faction I have not used in a while. Then build what meshes well from there. Sometimes I try to compose two sub-squads with synergy within the group so I can split forces and create two fronts without losing CEs and whatnot.

I used to rush a lot more in battle, but have slowed down the advance with more strategic attacks along the way. I still try to move quickly, but not always 12 straight ahead. Patience often pays. In the end, I want to be happy with what I did and not regret a totally stupid move. I don't think I have a predictable style of play since it depends on what pieces I am using.

I love scenarios and special build restrictions as well. Good variety in the game then. I do play casual and competitive mixed throughout the year to keep things fresh and sharp.
Mickey
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 10:22:08 AM

To have fun BigGrin
Darth Percocet
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 10:34:13 AM

As mickey said my number 1 reason is to have fun. But at the same time use some strategy. I usualy watch the map alot thinking a few moves ahead. When my opponent is taking his turn i look carefully at where all of his figures & my figures are in place & usualy think about a few scenario's for each one, if it were to get moved a certain way. I say when your taking your turn, take your time & think before you move. A good player is gonna calculate exactly the move you make & have a counter to it, so i say think outside the box alot.

Everyone plays to win intiative, but dont count on you winning it. Think of 2 senario's to where if you win or lose. Try to think of what your opponent is gonna do. I also while moving like to think up combo's of figures i can use on one turn, like hit this guy with jolt then use this figure to hit him with opp. Stuff in that sort.

Everyone plays different & its hard in telling how your opponent is gonna play. For example is theres a simple thing he can do, think of that simple thing but also think of an out of the ordinary thing he can do as well.

Also after seeing your opponents squad, determain what figures you have in play that would match up good against your opponents figures & attack with that. Lol and ewok warrior has no buisness attacking GMLS unless you wanna base him & force him to attack it instead. Billv said it the best that basically if you hate a piece, or having trouble beating a piece then know that pieces weaknesses. Basically studying & knowing most of the rules & the figures in the game, then you wont be surprised by anything. Its hard to put into words a strategy, but that pretty much sums up how i play.

Also 1 more thing. " NEVER RELY ON RESERVES " lol..
juice man
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 1:08:32 PM

Commander Effects. Got to try something different almost every time. Sometimes just for fun, sometimes "man this is killer".
If you have enough mouse droids try boxing in some pieces.
IG-108
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 3:06:02 PM

The GGDAC and IG-86 combo is really my strategy at it's best. I'm terrible at strategizing with weaker pieces that have a ton of abilties or squads based around them (Speedy Cannon, Run&Gun, ect...). Basically, I get pieces out there that are hard to hit, need low numbers to hit, and hit hard. I also like to have tempo control to out-activate my opponent, which will give me more chances to shoot at them multiple times.
Firepower! Unlimited Firepower!!
That's why the Seperatist team really compliments my strategy.
The nice thing about my strategy is that I can win rather easily when my opponent is basing a lot of their squad around one or two power pieces (Example: Vader of any kind, powerful Sith lords, powerful Jedi that aren't GOWK, and such). If they stay out in the open for too long and I'm able to shoot them, their hit points go down fast. And as soon as those power pieces are gone, the rest of the squad falls apart.
On the negative side for my strategy, I rely heavily on commander effects to boost the rest of my squad. If those disappear, my squad becomes much weaker and easier to beat.
swsf17
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 3:26:40 PM

I like to play squads where you will hate me for weeks.
DarthJak
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 3:29:27 PM

Cursing I'm gonna start using a six siderBlushing for attacks, since I can't roll higher than a 6 anywaySneaky
DarthJak
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 3:31:22 PM

juice man wrote:

Crying take it from me.... this tactic is ultra annoyingThumbDown
saber1
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:06:21 PM

Diplomat cage. I've always wanted to try that.

I play for fun...although I tend to have more fun when I win. Flapper

I really like mobility and using strong combos either in SA's or CE's (or both). Balance between melee and non is good.
seibermaki
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:45:53 PM

DarthJak wrote:
juice man wrote:

How does it work? you just surround an enemy piece with mouse droids? Can't they just shoot them?
Xeonaught
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 10:49:56 PM

please no more. to have fun comments because i didnt ask why you play ( for me its fun ) how you play so wat ae your tactics
juice man
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 11:40:01 PM

seibermaki: This probably only works against DarthJak - he uses a six sider.
But a diplomat cage. Wow.
Draconarius
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 1:48:53 AM

I play defensively (too many games against Mandalorians and Seperatists who hardly need to bother rolling attack dice ThumbDown ). I like squads that can be downright impossible to kill if the dice favour me. Therefore, I use characters with built-in defences, such as Shado Vao or Jarael, and I use defensive commanders like General Wedge, General Rieekan, and Leia Skywalker quite a bit. If a character doesn't have some way to defend itself, or can't be given some way to defend itself, then it has to have something huge going for it before I'll even consider using it. I also like Tempo Control a lot, since it (usually) lets me set up my attacks in almost complete safety. I usually use Rebel or New Republic since they have the best defensive tricks in the game (such as the aforementioned Rieekan and Wedge Love ).
DarthJak
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 2:38:48 AM

seibermaki wrote:
DarthJak wrote:
juice man wrote:

How does it work? you just surround an enemy piece with mouse droids? Can't they just shoot them?

you can shoot them, but you wasting a turn doing it.Angry A def of 20, or 24 w/GGDAC isn't a sure kill.Cursing you spend time messin' with those *&6#@!! droids, while you get slaughtered by the other pieces.Sneaky
Vegeta1978
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 2:48:53 AM

I play what sometimes appear as fun teams, but once the game starts, I'm constantly putting pressure on my opponent(s), forcing them to be unsure of their movements & eventually causing a mistake.