RegisterDonateLogin

Makes you a wonderful human being.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Force Renewal Options
Billy Dooku
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:49:24 AM
Groups: Member

This came up in a game a few weeks ago ...

When a character with Force Renewal gets activated by an ability such as Force Repulse, Force Lightning, Sith Sorcery, etc.

Do they get their renewal FPs?

Glossary from Repulse 5 says : "The targets are treated as having been activated this round; in effect they skip their turns."

So we skipped their renewal... were we right?

Thx
MrSmileys
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:03:10 AM

I would think you would still get the force points.

force renewal says:

This character gets 1 Force point each time it activates.

(Force) Whenever a character with this Force power activates, it automatically gets 1 Force point. It can get more Force points than its starting Force rating.

It does not specify weather or not they were activated outside your turn or for a combined fire.

You would skip any other things that that piece could normally do on its turn but force renewal is triggered on activation.
dalsiandon
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:48:03 AM

See Activating Characters in the general section of the FAQ. It discusses this matter. I had this discussion with Nickname recently.

Activating Characters

Q: What's the difference between activating and counting as activated from things like combining fire, Paralysis, or Force Stun?

A: A character that counts as activated isn't affected by anything that triggers on activating (like Force Renewal or Force Corruption saves), nor anything that triggers at the end of a turn (like Regeneration or immediate attack commander effects.) And then of course they don't get to activate later in the round to take a turn.

Right from the FAQ. SO no they would not get the reneweal, because as you said "They skipped their turn"
seibermaki
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 6:08:18 AM

I don't believe you would still get your Force point from Force Renewal. According to here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/minisfaqgeneral

Activating Characters

Q: What's the difference between activating and counting as activated from things like combining fire, Paralysis, or Force Stun?

A: A character that counts as activated isn't affected by anything that triggers on activating (like Force Renewal or Force Corruption saves), nor anything that triggers at the end of a turn (like Regeneration or immediate attack commander effects.) And then of course they don't get to activate later in the round to take a turn.
seibermaki
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 6:08:55 AM

oops, we both posted the same thing heheh.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:49:34 AM

if you activate characters with said abilities, then you would still get your FR 1. you have activated, and whenever you activate, regardless of someone else activating you, you get yer FR1.
Darth Percocet
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:52:17 AM

No the characters affected by repulse if have force renewal would not gain renewal that turn. The key is in the glossary you provided " The character is treated as if activated". You would only gain force renewal if you activate your own character. So any abilities such as jolt,repulse etc. wouldnt be activating your character, they would be treated as if they were activated. You can only activate a character when you activate them on there turn.

Same goes for Darth Caedus - Aiing-Flow Walking, when you use that ability you wouldnt gain force renewal because your taking an extra turn with him using a force power, you arent really activating him with the force power, it grants him to do an extra turn. Same would be with Pawn of the Dark Side... lol if that makes sense..
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:03:36 AM

it makes sense.
but what doesnt make sense is my character not getting his FR1, from someone else activating him. "when this character activates, he gets FR1" it doesnt say anything about someone else activating him, and not getting it.
if thats the case, then Im looking at strike 3 against this frikkin game. theres 1 out in the bottom of the 9th, and nobody on.
Darth Percocet
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:21:35 AM

See you said the answer to your question in that last reply Mando lol..

"when this character activates, he gets FR1"

Bottom line is when a power or SA affects a chracter like that, technically your not actinvating him, that character is treated as being activated. You must start a turn with a character to activate them. Like when you combine fire, your activation the other figure to join in on the attack. When someone uses a power or SA on a character, they are invulentarily affected by it. & the key is in the text, this character is treated as being activated. Just look at it like only your figures can gain renewal when you activate them.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:30:52 AM

Bored
seibermaki
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:56:25 AM

The way I like to think of it, is...

Someone Stuns Obi-Wan. Now Obi-Wan can't concentrate enough to meditate and get a Force Point. Obi-Wan loses a turn.
seibermaki
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:57:21 AM

Oh yeah, what are the other 2 strikes against the game?(just curious)
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:59:49 AM

seibermaki wrote:

line of sight for grenades, and Djem So Mastery against melee reach.
saber1
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:49:51 PM

Mandalore Da Beast wrote:
seibermaki wrote:

I agree with you on DSM magically gaining melee reach 2/3 when counterattacking someone with MR2/3. Lumiya has a long whip which can reach across a room. That's easy enough to understand. Luke has a lightsaber that can reach things a meter away. Lumiya attacks Luke from across the room and suddenly either:

A) Luke teleports, using the force I guess, across the room to be adjacent to Lumiya, counterattacks, then teleports back to where he started. Quite impressive, mind you, because he doesn't even have to spend a force point.

OR

B) Luke's lightsaber suddenly triples in length (please, no size jokes) and smacks Lumiya upside her cyborg dome while he remains comfortably across the room.

Niether make any sense. Ruling that MR2/3 only applies to the character who has it would be a simple and logical fix. The whole point of having MR2/3 is to keep people at a distance so they can't attack you!

Conceptually, I can understand the grenades thing. If someone is around the corner, thus not within LOS, the wall will absorb the blast. The only way around that would allowing the targeting of a particular square as was mentioned in a post above.
seibermaki
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 6:02:40 PM

Mandalore Da Beast wrote:
seibermaki wrote:

I'm forced to agree on both. I mentioned in another thread how I wished SWM had Area Attacks like DDM(version 2?). It may not be a big deal to add the DDM Area Attack rules to SWM, but some may not like it??

The Djem So Mastery against melee reach had my head spinning when I was reading it earlier... I agree though, it seems silly....

The only rules change I can think of, is that if you Djem So Mastery against someone with melee reach, and you want to use the attack the Djem So Mastery gives you, then you MUST move adjacent to the person you are Djem So Mastering.
Billy Dooku
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 1:24:45 AM

Thank you all for the input on Force Renewal. I think the ruling makes sense, just wanted to clear it up.

As for Melee Reach... thats another debate...

Peace
klecser
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 6:20:36 AM

If you do not know the correct answers to questions, please do not post. You are confusing people and making it harder for those of us who can help to actually help.

Force Renewal doesn't happen. This has been the case for years. Need an explanation? READ...THE...FAQ.

@Mandalore: Don't let the door hit you on the way out. This is the nature of Exceptions based rules systems. Game balance doesn't necessarily make sense in in-universe explanations. Heck, half of the "in universe" explanations don't even make sense within the universe in question.

And to further call you on your BS: you're prepared to WALK based upon three rulings that you don't like? Grow up. The "threats" of leaving aren't impressing anybody but yourself. If that is enough to make you walk, then I dare you to try other collectible games. Most of them have WORSE interactions than this one. I call shenanigans on your whole attitude.

I love Bloomilk and all, but I'm really bothered by the fact that the forums here have created a situation where people that don't know what the heck they are talking about re: rules are often posting the most and having the loudest voices. This obviously isn't directed at the question askers. Its directed at the people that CONSISTENTLY answer questions incorrectly. It just makes it harder for people to get the correct information. If you are consistently posting inaccurate rulings, then you are NOT helping. I probably shoudn't be surprised. Many people flock to the Intrawebs because they know they won't be held accountable for their crap.

Sorry for the rant. *sigh*
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 6:50:57 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

The above post is exactly why I always either refer someone to the official location for an answer (aka the glossary, rules inserts, FAQ, errata or WOTC forums - NickName responses) or try to get them to search for it on the WOTC forums.

(I'm sure not perfect)
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 7:37:30 AM

klecser wrote:
If you do not know the correct answers to questions, please do not post. You are confusing people and making it harder for those of us who can help to actually help.

Force Renewal doesn't happen. This has been the case for years. Need an explanation? READ...THE...FAQ.

@Mandalore: Don't let the door hit you on the way out. This is the nature of Exceptions based rules systems. Game balance doesn't necessarily make sense in in-universe explanations. Heck, half of the "in universe" explanations don't even make sense within the universe in question.

And to further call you on your BS: you're prepared to WALK based upon three rulings that you don't like? Grow up. The "threats" of leaving aren't impressing anybody but yourself. If that is enough to make you walk, then I dare you to try other collectible games. Most of them have WORSE interactions than this one. I call shenanigans on your whole attitude.

I love Bloomilk and all, but I'm really bothered by the fact that the forums here have created a situation where people that don't know what the heck they are talking about re: rules are often posting the most and having the loudest voices. This obviously isn't directed at the question askers. Its directed at the people that CONSISTENTLY answer questions incorrectly. It just makes it harder for people to get the correct information. If you are consistently posting inaccurate rulings, then you are NOT helping. I probably shoudn't be surprised. Many people flock to the Intrawebs because they know they won't be held accountable for their crap.

Sorry for the rant. *sigh*

Klecser.....
if i think that a rule is silly, you had better believe that i will post my opinion on it.
as far as not being right...get over it, and yourself. people are entitiled to help someone with a question, whether they are right or.
your rant is pointless and childish, and it would be in your best interest to not push it any further. i didnt say that i was willing to walk on this game, just yet. you obviously know nothing about baseball. heres a brief description. there are 3 strikes to an out. if you get three outs, you go to the next half of the inning. you repeat the process until you get to the ninth, and then AFTER that, the game is over.
so with that said, i will suggest you not comment on anything i have to say, becasue you have no clue as to what i am talking about.
there is nothing wrong with being wrong, and whenever i am proven wrong, i am humble enough to admit it, as i have many times when sithborg, darth Percocet, Xeonaught and others have corrected me. i then instill the rule change to my gameplay, whether i agree with it or not.
you do not know me well enough to tell me or anyone else for that matter, to not post if they are wrong. because if we knew that we were wrong, we wouldnt have posted to begin with. its called trial and error. like i said, get over it, and change your approach.
Sithborg
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 7:40:27 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Last call for any rules questions.