RegisterDonateLogin

No Youngling's lunchbox should be without it.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Bad Trade List, Problems and Solutions Options
ChuckaFett
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 10:34:10 AM
Groups: Member , Trade Moderator

I'm starting this thread because the BTL was getting a bit off topic. That thread is reserved for reporting people to the BTL only. That being said, I believe the topic of how to better manage the BTL and what to do about those that are put on it should be open for discussion, I'm certainly open to any suggestions. The last time I started one of these threads brought some great suggestions, and actually put a stop to the problems I was having at the time. I will ask that you please keep your comments respectful and don't use names, or for that matter, usernames in this thread. I know people are upset about being ripped off, but the solutions to the problem won't be found by dragging people through the mud further.

Thanks! BlooMilk
Darth Percocet
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 11:14:31 AM
Groups: Member

First & for most, i wanna say thanx for making this thread for us who wanna discuss how to resolve this issue. I apologize because i was one of the ones who went off topic & completely understand where your coming from Chuck & always thank you for the service you provide.

Ok, i dunno how you can stop people from trading with people on the BTL. But there are ways to prevent it better by making these people more known. Now i dont know how it would work but maybe try this, when someone gets put on the BTL have whenever you come acrossed that users name somewhat how on the bottom on bloomilk screens you see everyones name who is on & you can tell who has donated, well put some kind of icon representing if they are on the BTL for the 90 day warning, or perminent.

Again i dunno how it would work, it would be up to shinja im guessing to make it work like that. But that would just give better notice to people that these are bad traders. & as for keeping it fair, well these people scammed somehow so if they do something to get this upon them, its nobody's fault but themselves. Whenever they post anywhere on threads, have the icon on what BTL they are on. Its just a thought i dont know how it would work.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 12:54:44 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

The best thing to do is educate people in looking at the GTL/BTL lists BEFORE they make any offers. I know I'm guilty of this as well and have to remind myself to go look at the lists. They are a very valuable tool for trading on any forum/site. Of course, they do not help for first time traders that stiff someone, but that's the rare negative of trading via the internet. Don't get your hopes down...there are LOTS of good traders out there!

As for the BTL list, not sure how to handle that one. Having them pointed out on the GTL is a big help. Other than that, I do not have a suggestion at this time.

But...I did want to give thanks to ChuckaFett & Boba52 for the ALL hard work on all the lists. I for one am very appreciative of it all!!! BlooMilk
swinefeld
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 1:55:09 AM

imyurhukaberry wrote:
The best thing to do is educate people in looking at the GTL/BTL lists BEFORE they make any offers. I know I'm guilty of this as well and have to remind myself to go look at the lists. They are a very valuable tool for trading on any forum/site. Of course, they do not help for first time traders that stiff someone, but that's the rare negative of trading via the internet. Don't get your hopes down...there are LOTS of good traders out there!

As for the BTL list, not sure how to handle that one. Having them pointed out on the GTL is a big help. Other than that, I do not have a suggestion at this time.

But...I did want to give thanks to ChuckaFett & Boba52 for the ALL hard work on all the lists. I for one am very appreciative of it all!!! BlooMilk

That is pretty much where I'm at on this subject.

Including the big thanks to you guys for maintaining the lists BlooMilk
Rabid Wookiee
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 2:59:58 AM

I have 2 questions:

1. From reading the BTL rules, it looks like it implies that if a supposed scammer eventually makes good on a bad trade, then that person will be transferred from the Bad Traders list to the 90 Day Warnings list. Is that correct? If so, "rehabilitation" procedures should be more obvious so that scammers (or perhaps it just a person who's hit a rough spot in life) have at least a small carrot to come back to the light side.

2. Why does leaving good references for face-to-face trades make you a bad trader? I understand why you wouldn't want someone to abuse the system by doing that, but the punishment seems a bit harsh for the crime. Why not put them on the 90 Day Warnings list?

Thanks.
kenred2
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 4:29:30 AM

Rabid Wookiee wrote:
I have 2 questions:

2. Why does leaving good references for face-to-face trades make you a bad trader? I understand why you wouldn't want someone to abuse the system by doing that, but the punishment seems a bit harsh for the crime. Why not put them on the 90 Day Warnings list?

Thanks.

No... because face-to-face trades would of course ABUSE the system, mainly because it would open doors for more potential scammers. One thing to note is that, when someone makes-up a new username, and other person (their "friend," or potential accomplice) decides to give feedback to each other... and little by little reaching to a certain number of refs would then take advantage to those traders who have less reference. This would resort to misconduct of abusing the trading system... and therefore to prevent it every way possible would be to ban them.
swinefeld
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 5:49:38 AM

Rabid Wookiee wrote:
I have 2 questions:

1. From reading the BTL rules, it looks like it implies that if a supposed scammer eventually makes good on a bad trade, then that person will be transferred from the Bad Traders list to the 90 Day Warnings list. Is that correct? If so, "rehabilitation" procedures should be more obvious so that scammers (or perhaps it just a person who's hit a rough spot in life) have at least a small carrot to come back to the light side.

Perhaps a FAQ type entry in or below the rules, something like this:

I messed up and now I am on the BTL - how can I restore myself to good standing?
Followed with suggestions for remedies, and what the process will be as far as the list itself (i.e. from BTL to 90-day warning, eventually cleared or whatever).

Rabid Wookie wrote:

I agree it seems somewhat harsh, but things being what they are, and as Ken implied, I think giving only a warning probably leaves too wide of an opening for people to build up a good number of refs before getting caught on a face-to-face (if they ever actually do, don't know how that comes to light short of another user reporting them).
Once they have those refs they are in a strong position to scam the new traders.

I've conducted a number of F2F trades where the entire deal except for exchange of minis was conducted here using the collection tracker and BMs, mainly because it was convenient and we weren't going to see each other frequently enough to work it out otherwise. It was tempting to post refs for those, but in the end we realized that would be wrong and not at all worth a red flag. If we had wanted refs that bad we would have mailed the minis - didn't seem worth the cost.
Rabid Wookiee
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 7:01:03 AM

I just can't help but compare trading on this site to www.boardgamegeek.com. As the name implies, BGG is a site dedicated to board game enthusiasts. I have a +6 GTL rating on Bloomilk and have been scammed. I have a +39 trade rating on BGG and have never been scammed. And to my knowledge BGG has no policy against logging face-to-face trades, nor widespread problems with scamming. So there's the context of my original question/comments.

Now on to the shameless commentarySmile...It's my belief that BGG is a safer trade environment than Bloomilk (though admittedly I don't have any generalizable statistical proof to back-up that opinion)? So why is that? The one main obvious difference I can point to is that BGG has a very robust electronic trading system that tracks and documents each stage of the trading process and provides ample transparency of feedback scores and prior transactions to prospective trade partners (in fact, I like this system better than eBay's). All of this info is easily accessible when you begin to initiate a formal trade request with a user. While implementing a comparable system on Bloomilk probably isn't practical, I think transparency and easy access of information is the key. For instance, I'd love to see an easy way to view all past trade feedback for a user, and within that info, I'd like to know about who provided the feedback. I'd like a formal process other than sending BMs to log a trade request and trade acceptance (to discourage confusion as to whether or not a trade was finalized). When I'm looking at potential trade partners using the Trades function, I'd love to know immediately what their GTL score is, how long they've been on the site, and whether or not they are bad traders.

Ultimately, Shinja will need to get involved to make any of these things happen.

kenred2
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 7:46:01 AM

Rabid Wookiee wrote:
I just can't help but compare trading on this site to www.boardgamegeek.com. As the name implies, BGG is a site dedicated to board game enthusiasts. I have a +6 GTL rating on Bloomilk and have been scammed. I have a +39 trade rating on BGG and have never been scammed. And to my knowledge BGG has no policy against logging face-to-face trades, nor widespread problems with scamming. So there's the context of my original question/comments.

Now on to the shameless commentarySmile...It's my belief that BGG is a safer trade environment than Bloomilk (though admittedly I don't have any generalizable statistical proof to back-up that opinion)
? So why is that? The one main obvious difference I can point to is that BGG has a very robust electronic trading system that tracks and documents each stage of the trading process and provides ample transparency of feedback scores and prior transactions to prospective trade partners (in fact, I like this system better than eBay's). All of this info is easily accessible when you begin to initiate a formal trade request with a user. While implementing a comparable system on Bloomilk probably isn't practical, I think transparency and easy access of information is the key. For instance, I'd love to see an easy way to view all past trade feedback for a user, and within that info, I'd like to know about who provided the feedback. I'd like a formal process other than sending BMs to log a trade request and trade acceptance (to discourage confusion as to whether or not a trade was finalized). When I'm looking at potential trade partners using the Trades function, I'd love to know immediately what their GTL score is, how long they've been on the site, and whether or not they are bad traders.

Ultimately, Shinja will need to get involved to make any of these things happen.

Excuse me... but that's a matter of your perspective... just because you have a good experience trading through another site doesn't mean someone else there doesn't get screwed (and how would you know that?). No trading system is deemed perfect. So as long as people are more aware of the traders who earned their place in the GTL (and not on the BTL), and the amount of refs earned of how much people put into postage and package material (and stated condition, etc)... only then can we understand that they too would have a good experience trading with that person
swinefeld
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 7:46:31 AM

Rabid Wookiee wrote:

Now on to the shameless commentarySmile...It's my belief that BGG is a safer trade environment than Bloomilk (though admittedly I don't have any generalizable statistical proof to back-up that opinion)? So why is that? The one main obvious difference I can point to is that BGG has a very robust electronic trading system that tracks and documents each stage of the trading process and provides ample transparency of feedback scores and prior transactions to prospective trade partners (in fact, I like this system better than eBay's). All of this info is easily accessible when you begin to initiate a formal trade request with a user. While implementing a comparable system on Bloomilk probably isn't practical, I think transparency and easy access of information is the key. For instance, I'd love to see an easy way to view all past trade feedback for a user, and within that info, I'd like to know about who provided the feedback. I'd like a formal process other than sending BMs to log a trade request and trade acceptance (to discourage confusion as to whether or not a trade was finalized). When I'm looking at potential trade partners using the Trades function, I'd love to know immediately what their GTL score is, how long they've been on the site, and whether or not they are bad traders.

Knock on wood, I'm closing in on +50 and no bad trades here BlooMilk
I took the cautious approach when first I started and sought trades with established traders. (for context, at the time a +8 was at the higher end of the scale, and that was in Jan/Feb of this year!). Just lucky I guess...

As far as improvements to trading features (visible trader ratings when viewing match-ups and such), those are things Shinja is aware of and probably quietly working on behind the scenes, along with a whole bunch of other stuff of course. I think it will get there eventually. I certainly can understand your frustration BlooMilk
Mickey
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 7:57:32 AM

Yes it was very tempting for me and David to give some GTL to each other for conducting all of our trades here then sending them through my son, the courier, when he went to play at the LGS (I can't play because I work that night Crying ). Does it count my wife spent money on the gas to drive him there and I packaged the figs in a baggie? LOL

I suggest for those that are on the BTL and actually earn GTL that their name stay red to bring attention to them but put their -1 points out to the side of their +1 points so people know how many BTL references there are. Then somewhere in the BTL list maintain a record of the actual trade info so people know the circumstances. It is ultimately up to the traders involved to use their best judgment. I just want to know what I'm dealing with going in.
Rabid Wookiee
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 8:09:26 AM

Wow, slow down there. I'm sorry you took my comments personally. I think I pretty clearly stated that it was my perspective and not based on any sound statistical proof. No harm was meant. I just wanted to share some things I've seen on another site that I thought worked well.

kenred2 wrote:
Rabid Wookiee wrote:

Now on to the shameless commentarySmile...It's my belief that BGG is a safer trade environment than Bloomilk (though admittedly I don't have any generalizable statistical proof to back-up that opinion)
? So why is that? The one main obvious difference I can point to is that BGG has a very robust electronic trading system that tracks and documents each stage of the trading process and provides ample transparency of feedback scores and prior transactions to prospective trade partners (in fact, I like this system better than eBay's). All of this info is easily accessible when you begin to initiate a formal trade request with a user. While implementing a comparable system on Bloomilk probably isn't practical, I think transparency and easy access of information is the key. For instance, I'd love to see an easy way to view all past trade feedback for a user, and within that info, I'd like to know about who provided the feedback. I'd like a formal process other than sending BMs to log a trade request and trade acceptance (to discourage confusion as to whether or not a trade was finalized). When I'm looking at potential trade partners using the Trades function, I'd love to know immediately what their GTL score is, how long they've been on the site, and whether or not they are bad traders.

Excuse me... but that's a matter of your perspective... just because you have a good experience trading through another site doesn't mean someone else there doesn't get screwed (and how would you know that?). No trading system is deemed perfect. So as long as people are more aware of the traders who earned their place in the GTL (and not on the BTL), and the amount of refs earned of how much people put into postage and package material (and stated condition, etc)... only then can we understand that they too would have a good experience trading with that person
Darth Percocet
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 9:10:21 AM

Rabid Wookiee wrote:
And to my knowledge BGG has no policy against logging face-to-face trades, nor widespread problems with scamming. So there's the context of my original question/comments.

Now on to the shameless commentarySmile...It's my belief that BGG is a safer trade environment than Bloomilk (though admittedly I don't have any generalizable statistical proof to back-up that opinion)? So why is that? The one main obvious difference I can point to is that BGG has a very robust electronic trading system that tracks and documents each stage of the trading process and provides ample transparency of feedback scores and prior transactions to prospective trade partners Ultimately, Shinja will need to get involved to make any of these things happen.

Look at it like this, if we were to add face-to-face trades on the GTL ref system, it would be a problem. Bottom line is people would abuse it & claim of all of these trades they did that probably never took place. Im not saying people are unhonest but its the sad reality of the world we live in. Anyone has a chance to exploit & abuse something, 90% of us do it. & i believe with trade refs the case would be no difference.There would be no eveidence for these transactions other than the word of the trader.

You also gotta realize that this site isnt just for mini trading. Actually i would say that probably %10 of the site is dedicated to that. I say its an after thought. I would say the main reason of this site is to provide options that no other site does, such as collection tracker & squad building to name a few all in one site.

I would say the solution to the problem of making Bad traders known better is more easily done than hard. People just gotta start looking more into the person they are trading with plain & simple. You gotta enforce to where if you have more GTL refs then you make them send first. Thats what the ref system is there for. But in reality not everyone wants to go & look & track down someones trading hhistory. I say a simple icon next to there name at the bottom of the screen (like the has donated icons) & whenever you come acrossed a users name you would see this icon to let you know weither they are on the 90 day warning list or a perminant bad trader.

Now i dont know what it would take for this to happen, if it would cost money & thats pretty much the only solution i can think of ya know..

Rabid Wookiee
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 9:56:21 AM

Darth Percocet wrote:

Look at it like this, if we were to add face-to-face trades on the GTL ref system, it would be a problem. Bottom line is people would abuse it & claim of all of these trades they did that probably never took place. Im not saying people are unhonest but its the sad reality of the world we live in. Anyone has a chance to exploit & abuse something, 90% of us do it. & i believe with trade refs the case would be no difference.There would be no eveidence for these transactions other than the word of the trader.

Yep. I think you're probably right. I just thought the severity of the punishment was a bit interesting. I've no real qualms with keeping it as is.

Darth Percocet wrote:

You also gotta realize that this site isnt just for mini trading. Actually i would say that probably %10 of the site is dedicated to that. I say its an after thought. I would say the main reason of this site is to provide options that no other site does, such as collection tracker & squad building to name a few all in one site.

Boardgamegeek.com actually has a similar operating model and structure to Bloomilk (although it caters to tracking board game collections, reviews, ratings, discussions, etc. instead of focusing on Star Wars Minis), and that's why I used it as an example. Of course it's also somewhat of an unfair comparison, because Boardgamegeek.com has decent funding and a full-time staff.

Darth Percocet wrote:

People just gotta start looking more into the person they are trading with plain & simple. You gotta enforce to where if you have more GTL refs then you make them send first. Thats what the ref system is there for.

I agree. Your advice is sound, though these steps didn't help me in my situation (we both had the same +5 GTL and had even traded before). I just got unlucky. Even so, I still plan to continue trading.

Darth Percocet wrote:

But in reality not everyone wants to go & look & track down someones trading hhistory. I say a simple icon next to there name at the bottom of the screen (like the has donated icons) & whenever you come acrossed a users name you would see this icon to let you know weither they are on the 90 day warning list or a perminant bad trader.

Agreed. How does an icon that's a circle with a slash through it sound? Or maybe a thumbs down would be good. Or a yellow or red stoplight, depending on if the trader is bad or has just been warned.
swinefeld
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 1:31:21 PM

Rabid Wookiee wrote:

<snipped...>
Darth Percocet wrote:

But in reality not everyone wants to go & look & track down someones trading hhistory. I say a simple icon next to there name at the bottom of the screen (like the has donated icons) & whenever you come acrossed a users name you would see this icon to let you know weither they are on the 90 day warning list or a perminant bad trader.

Agreed. How does an icon that's a circle with a slash through it sound? Or maybe a thumbs down would be good. Or a yellow or red stoplight, depending on if the trader is bad or has just been warned.

@Perc - you are right that people often don't take the time to check the history. Let's face it, the GTL feedback thread is REALLY long now. Nonetheless, if I'm unsure I will slog through it to see who someone has traded with. Often that will tell you a lot, and if not you can BM some of the ref-givers and ask how things went. I've done that on a couple occasions. Of course, the BTL should always be consulted...

@Rabid - I like that stoplight icon idea!

Green = go!
Yellow = caution
Red = hit the brakes, or someone could get hurt Razz
sunwrought
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 3:03:03 PM

I'd like to see an integrated trade-rating option, creating a score for each person accessible by clicking their handle. That would make it easier for people to see the GT/BT totals.

Plus, it might make people a little more likely to leave feedback. This thread exists in part because one person scammed at least five other people on this site. Nobody posted anything about it until I did in the BTL, at which point other people began coming forward. It's well and good to say "well people should be more proactive" (and to an extent I agree with that), but it might help if the site made it easier to flag traders as bad (and identify bad traders as such).

What I'm worried about, frankly, is that the scammer in question is free to continue trading on this site, and very well might scam a few more people out of a few hundred more dollars worth of figures. BTLs are useful, but they're an inelegant solution best suited to forum-based tradehouses. BlooMilk has all sorts of great database features involving trading; it would be nice if the site would make it as easy to find out that trader X has scammed someone or that trader Y has twelve good trades as it is to find out that trader Z has a Lord Vader and wants a Doombot.
Darth Percocet
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 3:21:49 PM

sunwrought wrote:
I'd like to see an integrated trade-rating option, creating a score for each person accessible by clicking their handle. That would make it easier for people to see the GT/BT totals.

See only problem with that is, whos to stop anyone from keep clicking on their handle. Since it would never be brought up about who is about to trade you would have to make some way to put a block on it so that someone dont get someone else to keep clicking it. I myself like the way your going with it. I been shooting for some kind of thing where you click feedback with but havent came up with a solid solution.

But then at the same time as i mentioned before, i think the solution is so easy & obvious. How people dont search as much as they should for peoples trade records. I loveeeeeeeee Rabid Wookiee's idea of the icon's. & if even not at the bottom with the rest of names who are signed on. Some way to expose them better. Because thats the main thing, is Chuck can only do so much before it becomes up to us (the party involved) to finish sealing a trade & searching. Chuck just provides us with all of there info & keeps tracks of it which is amazing. How the names have a donate icon next to them, having some kind of icon next to there name would make them noticable.

If this person doesnt have a problem with trading have a Green Light, if this person is on the 90 day warning, Have a yellow triangled caution sign. & if they are perminant bad traders, have a stop sign next to there name. Having it exposed better would make it that much easier to flush these people out & not trade with them.

& also what swinefeld said go & contact the people that this user previously traded with in the past & get some info on them. I've done that before also. The only problem i have with that is going through the GTL ref thread to find people they traded with. I have no idea in mind how to make it easier to go through that. It would have to be a whole other thread listing each trader's name but instead of having there refs next to there name, have like the last 5 users they traded with names next to theres. But i just think the solution is simple.. Just might take some time & effort to be put into effect, or maybe might take some money to do so, thats the issue im not sure what it would take.
Mickey
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 3:41:23 PM

MiniatureTrading.com has a similar system where you click on their name to give a trade reference. You can't leave a comment but anytime you click on that person's name their trade references are listed right there. So you know who gave good ones and who gave bad ones. They also have an icon that follows them.

For me the trading part of the site is it's claim to fame. There is no other site with such great trade options. It sets it apart from any other I have seen. I think improving on this part of the site will only make this site that more unique and worth using.

The rest is nice too ThumpUp
swinefeld
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 3:57:58 PM

sunwrought wrote:

Plus, it might make people a little more likely to leave feedback. This thread exists in part because one person scammed at least five other people on this site. Nobody posted anything about it until I did in the BTL, at which point other people began coming forward. It's well and good to say "well people should be more proactive" (and to an extent I agree with that), but it might help if the site made it easier to flag traders as bad (and identify bad traders as such).

What I'm worried about, frankly, is that the scammer in question is free to continue trading on this site, and very well might scam a few more people out of a few hundred more dollars worth of figures. BTLs are useful, but they're an inelegant solution best suited to forum-based tradehouses. BlooMilk has all sorts of great database features involving trading; it would be nice if the site would make it as easy to find out that trader X has scammed someone or that trader Y has twelve good trades as it is to find out that trader Z has a Lord Vader and wants a Doombot.

I can't disagree with anything you said there. I think the site will see features like that in the future. If more people ask for them (and donate a little - BlooMilk) it would likely move up on Shinja's to-do list, which I'm sure is quite long. I don't suppose it would be too hard to at least have the rating next to the username when viewing the trade listing...

People who are having problem trades definitely need to come forward on a timely basis, with the way things are now. At the least just to talk to Chuckafett about it and see if a cautionary post on the BTL might be appropriate prior to a formal bad reference. There is only so much that can be done short of having an automated system of some sort. Stick to the guidelines as far as who sends first, and otherwise do some research.... it only takes one bad apple as the saying goes Sad
ChuckaFett
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 5:55:57 PM
Groups: Member , Trade Moderator

Just dropped by to say thanks for the suggestions and comments (and thanks for keeping them respectful BlooMilk ). There's a few questions I'll reply to and I'll join the conversation as well, just not right now. I'm tired. Got off nights this morning and only slept a few hours, I'm going to bed! Sleep