RegisterDonateLogin

Dark Lord of the Fridge.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

2020 100pt tournament Sat April 18th Options
urbanjedi
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2020 5:06:59 PM
Groups: Member

ok, I'll take the reigns for one of these vassal tournies

We will start about a little later (about 430 eastern time)

100 pt squads with one additional rule.

As new zealand ran earlier in the year

at least 1 of you characters must have a printed cost of exactly 20 (ie what it says on the card before any rapport or anything else).

Other normal squadbuilding rules apply.

We will use a slightly different map list in this one so we don't get too bored of the same maps.

These were all legal at one time or another very recently.

1. Cantina
2. Jabba's palace
3. Ruined Base
4. Theed
5. Bothan Spynet

1. urbanjedi
2. urbanshmi
3. harryg
4. timmerb123
5. tint
6. darth o
harryg
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2020 5:33:05 PM

I'm in!
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2020 7:06:52 PM

This is definitely a silver lining to the pandemic. MORE MINIS!

I'm in
thereisnotry
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2020 7:21:49 PM

Agreed, Tim. The more minis, the better.
Count me in.
Darth O
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2020 8:13:10 PM

I'm in!
urbanjedi
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2020 6:52:57 PM

I sent my squad to Trevor, so can take squads whenever you guys want
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2020 7:42:27 PM

Yep. I’ve received Jason’s squad and submitted mine as well
thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 7:08:56 AM

We probably won't take a full 60 or 75 minutes for these games, right?
spryguy1981
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 7:14:17 AM

In.
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2020 8:46:17 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
We probably won't take a full 60 or 75 minutes for these games, right?

It feels like if we do 60 min total including the "extra vassal time" that should be good.
harryg
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2020 2:21:15 AM

Unfortunately due to unforseen circumstances (namely my professor reassigning my final project due date to this Sunday at midnight and throwing my whole tempo off) I will have to cancel my participation tomorrow. Sorry about this everyone, but I got to do the college thing unfortunately before minis time.
Darth O
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2020 4:12:11 AM

All the best Harry!
UrbanShmi
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2020 7:28:38 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Sorry to hear that, harry. Good luck on your project!
urbanjedi
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2020 12:30:11 PM

Spry
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/211944/bx-brigade
Map: Ruined Base

urbanshmi
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/211318/2020-sith
On Cantina

tint
--20pts of Mace--
65 Mace Windu, Legacy of the Light Side
20 Blizz
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/211969/20pts-of-mace

Map: Theed

urban jedi
--2020 100--
33 Emperor Palpatine on Throne
28 Dash Rendar, Renegade Smuggler
20 Disciple of Ragnos
10 Jagged Fel
9 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3

Map Theed Palace

Darth O
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/211961/go-buy-a-mando-then-i-pipe-it-up
My map is Ruined Base (assuming that's Commander's Office in Vassal)

TimmerB
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/211963/the-lost-and-founder--or--we-shall-watch-your-career-with-great-interest-
bothan spynet
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2020 2:34:06 PM

Updates when you can, please. Looks fun.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2020 4:17:46 PM

TINT vs Spry in the finals. TINT won.

Final Standings:

TINT
Spry
Timmer
Darth O
UrbanShmi
UrbanJedi
thereisnotry
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2020 4:26:39 PM

Yes, it was fun. It's a great format; Jason explained that 100pts is difficult to do without people using 85pt Ani-Obi or one of the 100pt pieces (Revan, Dooku, Yoda), so when he saw the format that the NZ players came up with (your squad must include a 20pt piece), he decided to run the event. Thanks Jason!

I love using Blizz (I was the primary designer for him too, so I might be a bit biased!), so I built around him. At first I tried with Tarpals for double-flames/missiles, but spending 20% of your squad for a non-attacking commander just didn't seem wise to me. Then I remembered that, back in 2012, people said that Mace was awesome in 150pts because squads didn't have enough firepower to bring him down quickly enough...ergo, he would be an even better choice at 100pts! And sure enough, he worked out pretty well.

Round 1 vs Jason: J had Palpy-on-the-Potty and Dash and a Disc of Ragnos. We played on Theed and J set up on the right side. First round I used Blizz to flame Dash (50) and Jag (30), then towed Mace in to erase Dash, with R2 locking the door between him and Palpy. J used his Ragnos guy to kill R2 and put 30 on Mace, which opened the door. Palpy then zapped Mace for another 40 (down to 80hp). Next init was significant, because Palpy could've put another 40 on Mace and activated him (albeit with Mace having 2 rerolls if needed), but that never came to pass, since I won init. Mace proceeded to go on a crit spree, killing Palpy and Jag. 30 more damage to Mace (now 50) from the Ragnos' lightning. Next round, Mace failed his save, even after 2 rerolls (30), but Blizz stepped down and Missiled the Ragnos to death, and that was it.

Round 2 vs Oliver: His Mandos had Twin from the Scientist, which meant lots of attacks coming out. Theed again, with Oliver choosing the left side. First round was all positioning, with me moving Blizz into the Gambit room. Next round Oliver won init, which meant that Kelborn put 50dmg into Blizz with Cunning Gauntlet Knife (made a Shields save to live!), so I responded by Flaming Kelborn and the Demolitionist and the Scout for 20 each, and also suicide for Blizz. Then I towed Mace in to base 4 of Oliver's guys. After some successful Reflects, Mace decided to kill the Scientist (yay, no more Twin!) and the Gunslinger. The Scout took some shots, but nothing of significance. I won the next init, to kill the Scout and put some damage on Kelborn. Mace took some damage from the remaining Mandos, but then cleaned up soon afterward. Mace's effective Reflect saves, coupled with his high Defense, made it difficult for the Mandos to get damage onto him quickly enough.

Round 3 vs Spry: He had a pretty cool Whorm squad, which could've been real trouble for me. We played on Theed, with Matt choosing the left. I knew I had to kill one of the IG-86 droids, and then I'd probably be ok, but if for some reason he could draw LOS to Mace with both of them for too long, Mace would drop quickly. Well, near the start of the 2nd round I had an opportunity to tow Mace in to kill one of the 86s, but I elected to wait and build up FPs first...that proved to be a bad idea. I ended up just spinning and positioning, because all of my guys were safe from LOS this round. Matt played it well, though, and set up one of his BX melee guys within 6 of R2. Then, when he won init, he intuitioned in to kill R2, and then run back to cover (Acrobatic so no aoos). This left me in a bad spot, since Mace now had no way of getting to either of the 86s, and I had to start attacking this round. So, Mace went in to kill that BX droid, sitting in cover. The 86s needed 9s to hit...the first one hit both shots, but Mace made both Reflects. I think the second one missed both shots. No other real combat this round, though Blizz may have Missiled someone. I won the next init and ran Mace 8 squares to kill one of the 86s, but he was left with no cover. He then proceeded to make both Reflects from the other 86 droid, which basically sealed the game. The other 86 fell the next round and that was that. Matt got 50 pts, so he still came out of the match with a 1pt loss.

FINALS vs Spry: Complete rematch: same map, same sides, same first-round setup for the most part. However, this time in Round 2, I didn't miss my chance: I towed Mace in to kill an 86 droid and happened to crit, so my Flurry allowed Mace to also kill a mouse. Matt retreated his other 86 back, electing to make me chase it and have to take shots at Mace in cover (no dmg). A BX droid hit Mace and received a 20dmg Riposte in return. Blizz put some damage on the other BX droid. I won the next init, so Mace finished off a BX droid and moved into the Gambit room, out of the 86's LOS. I think Matt's remaining BX droid put some damage on Blizz, but then Blizz finished him off (Ion Gun for 30dmg). Next round Mace was able to reach the last 86 droid, which basically sealed the game.

Good times!

The interesting thing is that, in determining who was in 2nd place (to play in the Final) both Matt and Tim were 2-1, with 7pts. However, Matt had beaten Tim in the previous match, and so Matt took priority for a seat in the Finals match. Tim and I decided to play a match anyway, just to see how it would've gone....

Alternate Universe Final vs Tim: Tim won the map roll, so we played on Bothan Spynet, with me setting up on the left. First round, Tim placed his Uvak in gambit, which proved interesting. After I moved an Ugnaught to block a nasty spot for this Uvak to hit my guys, Tim retreated it back to his protected room. I then towed Blizz up, to flame an XT-6 droid and Palpy for 20 each. I set up the rest of my guys in cover. Palpy ended the round by using this zap-on-the-run ability to hit Mace and R2 and Blizz, then to Force Dash to kill R2 and put some dmg on Blizz (great shields saves). Next init, I went first, but with Blizz...he moved around the top of the elevators to Flame Jaq, down to 60 hp. Palpy hit Mace for 60 (no Riposte due to Dun Moch style). Tim then flew his Uvak in for a massive hit, killing both of my Ugs and putting a key 40dmg more on Mace...Mace Riposted, yes, with a Crit, so that was the end of the Uvak, and then Palpy parried the Flurry. However, Mace was now down to 60hp. Tim debated sacking an XT-6 droid to allow Atton to activate, but decided against it, knowing that if Mace made his Reflect saves, he'd be placing both Atton and Palpy beside each other, waiting (begging!) for Mace to go on a crit spree. So, it was my turn: I gave up an aoo with Mace (down to 40 now) and hit a Riposte on Palpy (down to 50), then ran 6 to kill Atton (failed Avoid Defeat, used Absorb to cancel the fprr). Next round, Palpy came down to finish Mace, which left Blizz and Palpy in a standoff (both with 50hp), but with Tim at 95pts. Blizz was able to Flame Palpy down to 30hp, but it wouldn't be enough. Tim won the next init and Palpy moved into gambit (to secure the last 5pts from Gambit) and attack Blizz. Blizz's only hope in that situation was to Missile Palpy for 30dmg, who would need to fail the save and both of the fprr's. This was a really great match! A few parry saves going the other way could've given me a chance, but with that big hit from the Uvak, Mace was in real trouble. Well played, Tim!

Anyway, there it is! It was another fun tournament...the third SWM tournament in as many weekends. And there's the Chicago Regional next weekend! Ya know, this Covid thing has created a rotten situation for everyone...but at least it's giving us a chance to play lots of minis! Thanks, everyone, for playing. I'll see y'all next weekend. Cheers!
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2020 6:56:08 PM

Fast and fun. It feels so different playing 100pts. Still love my 200pt games, but this was refreshing.

Congrats to Trevor on yet another win! Our game was very fun and certainly could have gone either way.
gholli69
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2020 12:36:34 AM

Man I wish I had a decent desktop so I could play in these. Will be really missing out next week as I was actually coming to Chicago this year but alas. I just hope this all gets sorted out in enough time that they don't cancel Gencon.
Darth O
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2020 3:34:49 AM

I don't think vassal uses too much processing power, so you should be able to play on most laptops or desktops. It's worth trying because the last three weekends have been a blast!