RegisterDonateLogin

Mudhole? Slimy? Bloo Milk, it is!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Our not-so-great tournament scoring system Options
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Monday, February 8, 2021 2:33:36 PM
Groups: Member

imyurhukaberry wrote:
Maybe too simple, but why does it have to be more complicated?

Because simpler is far more abusable. If all I have to do is beat you on kill points then it becomes a game of cat and mouse where all I have to do is snipe 1 or 2 of your pieces then not get sniped myself. Giving an incentive for completing games or reaching 100 kill points helps to push us towards more engagement and far less cat and mouse antics.
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Monday, February 8, 2021 2:41:00 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Darth_Frenchy wrote:
an increase in points gained decreases the value of 1 point losses and decreases the incentive to engagement.

I believe this to be a false assumption. End of game kamikaze rush does not equate to engagement.

Once the game gets to that point there is 3 options. The first is to give your opponent the game when you see you cant win, quite boring. 2nd is rushing forward in an attempt to salvage something, another is to run away in an attempt to stop your opponent from reaching a full win. If the alternative is having those pieces ran away to avoid giving your opponent a 3 point win or giving up then yes, it does increase engagement.

If I am up against a hard counter in swiss I am much more likely to play aggressively with 1 point losses because of their value. Unlike when they weren't there or if we reduced their value, then I would be play cat and mouse attempting to barely edge my opponent out on points. This ensures I maintain possibly a sliver of a chance, but ensures my opponent will never reach a full win. Which has more engagement?
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, February 8, 2021 3:05:03 PM

I would ask at what point does actually playing for the win become not acceptable?

Look - I want engagement too. I’m not advocating for less engagement.

What is being missed here is that I think there is abuse on the other end as well.

There are far too many times when a player gets “punished” in our scoring system for their opponents actions, and rewarded for things they haven’t earned.

I agree with what you said about overly simplistic systems being abusable. The system we have now is being abused
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Monday, February 8, 2021 3:34:02 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Lower score does not always mean low engagement.
One easy example is a player with a 100pt piece vs a player with lower costed pieces. The player with the 100pt piece races to gambit and locks the other player out. The player with the lower cost characters desperately tries to engage while the player with the 100pt piece sits in gambit. Whenever they do get into gambit, they do some damage and then die. End of the game the player with the 100pt piece has 10hp left, and an R7 in the back, scored 8 rounds of gambit, and runs away to save his 100pt piece. The other player has 80pts of pieces left, all full health. Final score 200-92 (3-0), even though the lower score player was fully engaging all they could. (This is not a hypothetical by the way)

You end up intentionally "punishing" players that should not be. Heck - if anything the player with the 100pt piece was the one attempting non-engagement.

It's not as clear cut as you seem to think it is, and that's the problem. Players have learned to game the system by playing more for gambit than for attempting to defeat the opponent's pieces.

I think adjusting how gambit works is a great step in the right direction. Heck that may be all it takes. I personally think 1pt being 1/2 as much as a 2 pt win is not what the ration should be.

If we wanted to address this specific issue with a scalpel we could make it so when a character is half hitpoints or less then it counts as killed if the game goes to time.

But rock squads do have an inherent disadvantage in this game. If you have a 100 point character you are almost assuredly out activated. If they can stand up to the onslaught then they deserve to win. "Game the system" is a bad way of saying they have learned how to compete playing a rock squad in a game that caters to shooters and high activation squads. I do understand that this is also doable by shooter and high act squads, but then they have to come within range. At minimum they have to move closer to you. A preferred result imo.
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Monday, February 8, 2021 3:53:36 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
I'm so tired of this propaganda. It's simply not true. It's a win no matter how you cut it. You can call it a partial win or a 2pt win or anything else - but it's still a win. Several players started using this language with the intention of shaming others, and it wasn't and still isn't productive for the game. You get a point less for not finishing. That is incentive enough. You don't have to call it something it isn't.

So thereby a full win and a 0pt loss, in my opinion, should beat a partial win and a 1pt loss. If we added back the tie-breaker of most 3pt wins in after score and record - this would accomplish this.
3-1 7pts with one 3pt win (3,2,2,0) is greater than 3-1 with zero 3pt wins (2,2,2,1)

WotCs own rules designated the difference between a tiebreaker and a full win. If we are trying to get back to "what the game was always intended to be" then the distinction is important. Calling it that is far less propaganda then saying players scoring gambit is some how "Gambit Abuse" or "Gaming the System". RollEyes

The bolded portion I completely agree with. However I do think the ranking should be as follows.

1. Score
Everything after Score only comes up if 2 opponents are tied on points scored. I know this is how it works, just stating for clarification as we have some newer players reading along.

2. Most Complete Wins
3. Record
4. Head-to-Head
5. Strength of Schedule.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Monday, February 8, 2021 4:27:37 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Darth_Frenchy wrote:
imyurhukaberry wrote:
Maybe too simple, but why does it have to be more complicated?

Because simpler is far more abusable. If all I have to do is beat you on kill points then it becomes a game of cat and mouse where all I have to do is snipe 1 or 2 of your pieces then not get sniped myself. Giving an incentive for completing games or reaching 100 kill points helps to push us towards more engagement and far less cat and mouse antics.

How can you abuse it if everyone is playing for sheer points? Total defeated points.
I’m not talking “tiered” points or “step” points...just plain old defeated character value points.
(like the game was designed to do. Yes, I understand a system was designed for competitive play, but it’s overkill IMO)

That would be a noob move to not score as many points as you could each game.
Keep in mind it’s all about defeated points...so if you don’t score a lot of points (aka defeating more characters) and the person in the game next table over scores more (defeats more characters), then you are losing already. What would that gain you to hit and run?
That’s actually one of the problems when you use tiered victory points.
It’s eliminated when playing for sheer defeated points.

If an opponent is running or stalling, then get the judge involved.
Otherwise slug it out for points!
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Monday, February 8, 2021 5:39:54 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:

One thing that isn't explicitly punished, though, is a game where neither player gets to 100pts. That sort of thing will generally be the fault of both players. I still prefer this scoring system, mentioned earlier in the thread:

4pts for a win
1pt for reaching 100pts (win or lose)
2pts for reaching 200pts (win or lose)

You won't have players with losing records ranking ahead of players with winning records, but a 90-50 win will score 2pts fewer than a 200-150 win.

So wins could be worth 4, 5, or 6 pts. Losses would generally be 0 or 1pt, but even opens up the rare 2pt loss if both players reach 200pts in the same round (a very high-engagement game).

I think my suggestions (or many but not all of the suggestions in this thread) would be a bit of an improvement.

This is an excellent suggestion. I'd be on board. Nobody can argue when a game completes under time, but there are times and reasons other than non-engagement that games don't complete. Full wins deserve full credit, but the rest gets murky quickly. There are extreme example on both ends that stink. 199-0 vs 10-9 is the exact same in our tournament scoring system. This would make a distinction between the two which is sorely needed.

With the proposed 4, 5, 6 system it completely eliminates 1 point losses as having an impact at all. I understand that is part of yalls intent, but it would only hurt the game. 1 point losses would no longer even be worth getting. Eliminating there purpose and incentive for engagement entirely.

If a distinction is needed between a tie over 100 points and a tie under 100 points then 1 point for a tie that gets less than 100 would suffice. Putting it on par with a loss that gets over 100. If you do not reach 100 points you arguably do not deserve 2 points.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, February 8, 2021 7:48:26 PM

It's not a tie. It's a tiebreaker win. "The player with the most most victory points wins the match."
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, February 8, 2021 8:07:47 PM

Darth_Frenchy wrote:
it would only hurt the game.

This is opinion, not fact. I disagree
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Monday, February 8, 2021 9:25:23 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Darth_Frenchy wrote:
it would only hurt the game.

This is opinion, not fact. I disagree

Indeed, opinions do tend to be opinions. What isn't an opinion is that 1 point losses would become irrelevant except in extremely rare circumstances.

If these suggestions were all implemented it would have poor results.

1. Gambit only being 5 points and taking a 10 point piece to score.
2. Gambit only counts after an hour of playing in order to figure who gets the tie points.
3. 4 points for a win and 1 point for every 100 points scored for both the winner and loser.

Not an opinion, a fact. We only have to go back 5 years to see how horrible engagement was without proper incentives. I guess that may be an opinion, especially for those that disagreed with the changes to gambit and scoring originally. Not to mention those that benefitted before the change.

You may think Gambit is currently being "Abused". However, do you really think it is abused now more than it's lack of importance was? Before its points increased from 5 to 10 nobody cared for Gambit. It was a convenient after thought. I don't see why we would go back to games of snipe the mouse where 2 point wins were the norm and sub 100 scoring games were fine.
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Monday, February 8, 2021 9:42:40 PM

Okay, so some stuff I do agree with or think could help the issues you all are trying to solve.

1. 3 point wins should be reintroduced as a tie breaker
2. I like the idea of 1 point for every 50 scored and then 2 for winning.
3. Gambit is 10 points, but needs to be scored with a character worth 15, maybe 20

Gah, got to stop bringing up gambit on this thread lol.

TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, February 9, 2021 11:01:36 AM

I'm responding to this in the 2021 BC rulings thread as it it more broad and general than just the tournament scoring system.
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2021 8:49:29 AM

Back on topic.

We currently have a system where 2 players can have the same record, but a player who literally finishes NO GAMES, places above a player who finishes EVERY GAME.

This is not theoretical, it has happened.

Again, this is players with the same record.

Honestly - this feels completely nonsensical to me that this is not only a possibility, but has happened.

It feels like an overwhelming majority of the community wants "more engagement".

It feels like an overwhelming majority of the community wants games to finish.

I know I am for both, and I don't think this is just my bias that I think almost all players are. Can anyone argue that the above 2 statements are incorrect?

So - why do we have a system that allows a player who finishes no games (or less games) surpass a player WITH THE SAME RECORD and finishes all of their games?

I think there is a false assumption that getting a 1pt loss means more engagement. That may be true, that may not be.

I think there is a false assumption that getting a 1pt loss means the game finished. That may be true, that may not be.

I think there is a false assumption that getting a 0pt loss means less engagement. That may be true, that may not be.

I think there is a false assumption that getting a 0pt loss means the game didn't finish. That may be true, that may not be.

So - I'm not saying there shouldn't be some kind of reward for reaching 100 in a loss. That's fine.

I'm certainly not saying that a win under 200 should be equal to a win of 200+

I simply think the percentages are off.

I think 5-3-1 is simple and would be better. It increases gap between wins over 200 and wins under 200, and increases the gap between wins under 200 and losses 100+

There is still incentive to get a 1pt win, but it's just a little harder to "make up" for a win under 200 by getting a 1pt loss. You can by doing it twice, not once. But most importantly, 5pts makes a win of 200+ the clear highest incentive. As it should be. With 3/2/1, there actually isn't ENOUGH incentive to get a win of 200+.

If we virtually all agree that more engagement is desired, and games completing are desired - then we should make it a clear and obvious reward to have the only result that guarantees both are happening.
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2021 8:53:49 AM

I also think we should consider something to the effect of - you get 1pt in a loss if you reach 100 AND the game finishes.

Should a player who plays slow and loses 100-130 really be rewarded the exact same as a player who loses 189-200 in a games that finishes in 45 minutes?
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2021 9:35:44 AM

100-130 pts should never be equal to 189-200 pts.
Why not just use the defeated points then?

(sorry to sound like a broken record, but I think the whole defeated points to victory points conversion is not necessary. It's just adding a step in the process)
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2021 12:52:27 PM

imyurhukaberry wrote:
100-130 pts should never be equal to 189-200 pts.
Why not just use the defeated points then?

(sorry to sound like a broken record, but I think the whole defeated points to victory points conversion is not necessary. It's just adding a step in the process)

There are negatives to a pure defeated points system. You encourage complete annihilation, extreme points denial, unfairly give extra points for someone that wins say by 100 DP vs 200 DP. The last point, both are dominant wins, what separates them is typically the extreme win is playing a hard counter. The match up could be considered a lucky draw, so should we really be rewarding extra points to a lucky pairing?

Lastly the community as a whole has been playing with a Defeated Points, Gambit and a points won system. I do not think shying away from that model entirely would be a good move for a community as small as ours.

Those reasons among others is why I think most competitive miniatures use either a margin of victory scale or points earned scale. I greatly appreciate your input, but I don't think a pure defeated points system is the way to go.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2021 1:29:11 PM

Darth_Frenchy wrote:
You encourage complete annihilation

Absolutely. ThumpUp

Darth_Frenchy wrote:
extreme points denial, unfairly give extra points for someone that wins say by 100 DP vs 200 DP. The last point, both are dominant wins, what separates them is typically the extreme win is playing a hard counter. The match up could be considered a lucky draw, so should we really be rewarding extra points to a lucky pairing?

Each player earns their points...a winner, by no matter how much difference, is awarded the win...it seems with extra points (either a large number or a small number depending on the system you use...currently just smaller numbers...1 pt correct?)

As for lucky or unlucky draws/pairings...there are so many squad combinations that one can play that there's bound to be a bad match up now and then. I won't get into current meta, but point is you must just make the best of it when you up against a counter...and take the lumps when they come. (been there and done that) You cannot win them all when it's totally random what your opponent will field. Otherwise you might was well just play chess.

The scoring system should be fair to everyone, but neutral in that it doesn't unfairly boost those that lost matches. The game should promote winning, preferably by total annihilation, otherwise why play the game in a tournament fashion?

(not talking about casual games...where they can be just silly fun at times)
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2021 1:45:51 PM

imyurhukaberry wrote:
The scoring system should be fair to everyone, but neutral in that it doesn't unfairly boost those that lost matches.

This is so well put. Thank you.

imyurhukaberry wrote:
The game should promote winning, preferably by total annihilation

Fully agree. That is how the game was always meant to be played.

I will note that I have been told using words like "annihilation" trigger a fear response in some people and they don't respond well to it. I have tried to adopt less severe terminology. Defeat all your opponent's characters.

And yes, both players should at all times be attempting to win by defeating all their opponents characters. The system we have now allows for many things outside of that to not only do well, but in some cases do better without having that that goal in any game.

I feel like 5-3-1 is simple, and balances that goal nicely without taking it to an extreme.
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2021 1:59:43 PM

imyurhukaberry wrote:
Darth_Frenchy wrote:
You encourage complete annihilation

Absolutely. ThumpUp

This is actually not a positive. Although you leave no doubt with complete annihilations making that the only way to receive full points can be an NPE for both players. Which is why it is important to still have qualifiers such as "no characters that can do damage" left to avoid the negative play experience. Gambit also covers this in order to avoid negative situations.

Examples: The losing player running characters away so the winning player can't receive full points. The game lasting until the winning player mops up the remaining points in small value pieces. Eliminating the need for the losing player to forfeit actually creates a more positive experience for both players.

imyurhukaberry wrote:
Darth_Frenchy wrote:
extreme points denial, unfairly give extra points for someone that wins say by 100 DP vs 200 DP. The last point, both are dominant wins, what separates them is typically the extreme win is playing a hard counter. The match up could be considered a lucky draw, so should we really be rewarding extra points to a lucky pairing?

Each player earns their points...a winner, by no matter how much difference, is awarded the win...it seems with extra points (either a large number or a small number depending on the system you use...currently just smaller numbers...1 pt correct?)

As for lucky or unlucky draws/pairings...there are so many squad combinations that one can play that there's bound to be a bad match up now and then. I won't get into current meta, but point is you must just make the best of it when you up against a counter...and take the lumps when they come. (been there and done that) You cannot win them all when it's totally random what your opponent will field. Otherwise you might was well just play chess.

The scoring system should be fair to everyone, but neutral in that it doesn't unfairly boost those that lost matches. The game should promote winning, preferably by total annihilation, otherwise why play the game in a tournament fashion?

(not talking about casual games...where they can be just silly fun at times)

Yes we could make the best of it, or we can design a system where one player does not receive a large advantage on the rest of the field based on the luck of the draw. A much more desirable out come imo.

Even though you only earn as much points as you defeat, it is still advantageous to limit the amount of points your opponent can score when considering the greater tournament. If you consider them a threat, if not you can point feed your opponent to give them a higher ranking. This could either just give you a better chance of winning the tournament or even knock out a potentially harder matchup in a top 4.

Agreed, we need to encourage players to finish games and to win. I personally favor margin of victory ranking or at least using that as a tie breaker.

imyurhukaberry
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2021 8:20:07 PM

Forgive for not quoting, but it’s a lot to edit on a phone.

I think you misunderstand my position, which is easy to do as this is a complicated subject over multiple threads.
I do believe in total annihilation of an opponent’s squad. By which, Tim’s point above is defeating every last one of your opponents characters. However, I agree that it’s very unnecessary to track down non-combatants and do not advocate that as a must. I always thought it was a floor rule that if one player had only guys left that dealt no damage then the game was over and a full point victory was awarded. Perhaps that was just a floor rule we used in our league. (I’m all for that, as it’s a good sport move anyway)

I’m not sure why you said what you did about only way full points awarded and all, but that is opposite of where I stand. Sorry if I misled you. I believe that whatever you defeat you get. (Not you keep what you kill...movie quote) If you win 101 to 99, so be it. Win 220 to 10, same. Points are points either way and whoever scores the most wins in a game. It’s the winner who is awarded extra points, but only so someone who lost does not somehow gain an advantage over someone who won...in tournament standings. Somehow we are all stuck on a winner should always have more points than those that lost. Just makes sense right?

If this game takes away the “luck of the draw”, then it loses its diversity. I personally would not play it if every squad was built the same and played the same. The funnest part of this game is building a squad that can fight against and hold its own against the most other types of squads possible. If you build a squad that is only good against a certain type of other squad, you deserve to lose. No offense, but that’s a horrible plan. And If the system is designed to only allow certain types of squads and dictates the way the game is played, then it’s too narrow, rigid, and broken. The fun is taken away. Even in a tournament setting there needs to be variety and diversity.

And if I can make a squad that gets me 200+ pts while keeping my opponent to 0 pts, then I’ve done my job well!

Perhaps I think and play differently than some, but I always play to win and score as many points as possible. Even if I know I’m not going to win the tournament, I’m not going to throw a game or go easy on someone so they can score more points. Not in a tournament. (While teaching or playing a fun game with kids, that’s different!). There’s still player rankings to think about. Are they still tracking those? Maybe I’m just super competitive, but that’s me. People are people and they will do things you cannot expect at times. No system will cover everything people can come up with.