RegisterDonateLogin

Was never a condition of our arrangement.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

10 point gambit abuse Options
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2020 2:36:39 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Yes, that's fair. Player B should have focused on taking out Luke earlier. If Luke stayed alive that long, it's to player A's credit. They played well and kept their high cost character alive. Depending on the positioning and Force points, player B doesn't necessarily have a major advantage since if if A wins init, Luke can take out Aayla and run away so that Dash can't shoot him or he gets cover, and then he can destroy Dash next round.
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2020 7:22:59 AM
Groups: Member

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:
Yes, that's fair. Player B should have focused on taking out Luke earlier. If Luke stayed alive that long, it's to player A's credit. They played well and kept their high cost character alive. Depending on the positioning and Force points, player B doesn't necessarily have a major advantage since if if A wins init, Luke can take out Aayla and run away so that Dash can't shoot him or he gets cover, and then he can destroy Dash next round.

we’ll have to agree to disagree there. I would agree with your statement if time was up. With time left on the clock, instead of theory crafting of what might happen - keep playing and see what does happen.

For all the talk of engagement engagement engagement, some people seem perfectly happy ending the game early - which is literally the exact opposite of engagement. Don’t we all like the game? I want to keep playing.

Even if I were on the losing end of that proposition, I’d still rather play it out. Winning on gambit gives me no satisfaction.

FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2020 10:06:21 AM

I'm not even sure I can agree to disagree on that one. There's plenty of time on the clock but a player who has more rounds of gambit and complete control of the game loses? That's crazy. Having more rounds of gambit shows that they were the one trying to engage.

What to do about it, if anything? I can understand if someone says it's not a big enough issue to worry about. If people do think it's a big issue, I could understand several different possible ways to address it. But on it's own, well, I hope nobody ever faces that situation.
spryguy1981
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2020 2:35:27 PM

I've been absent and don't have a full, educational dissertation about gambit ready, but from my personal standpoint my games almost always end with a destroyed squad. Rarely do I get 2's and rarely do my opponents get 2's. I support the 10pt gambit still as I think its a good way to go.
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2020 3:15:14 PM

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:
Yes, that's fair.

TimmerB123 wrote:
we’ll have to agree to disagree there.

FlyingArrow wrote:
I'm not even sure I can agree to disagree on that one. There's plenty of time on the clock but a player who has more rounds of gambit and complete control of the game loses? That's crazy. Having more rounds of gambit shows that they were the one trying to engage.

Yeah I guess I was just trying to be kind? the response makes so little sense that it seems purposefully obtuse or simply contrarian.

If gambits purpose is to force engagement, why are we allowing it to stop engagement before it's finished?

It boils down to this: Let's not let games end before time or one team having no pieces worth points left. It's really that simple.

The most I've seen in "disagreement" to this more or less "well I've never seen a problem". Ignorance is not really a valid counter argument. It does happen. And even if it doesn't happen all the time, the fact that it is even possible is an egregious loophole we've ignored for far too long.

Let me ask this - what is the problem with finishing the game out?

Honestly - the only answer I can think of as to why a player wouldn't want that to happen is that they think they have a better chance of winning by stacking up gambit but not being able to finish off the other player (in other words not engaging).

Here's another question:

If we were to institute the rule of not stopping at 200 before time is called or one player having no pieces worth points left on the board - what is the downside?
UrbanShmi
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2020 3:41:30 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:

What to do about it, if anything? I can understand if someone says it's not a big enough issue to worry about. If people do think it's a big issue, I could understand several different possible ways to address it. But on it's own, well, I hope nobody ever faces that situation.
m
Yeah I guess I was just being kind? It makes so little sense that it seems purposefully obtuse or simply contrarian.

I can't speak for gandalf, but I don't think people are disagreeing with you for the fun of it. Nor do I think anyone is being "purposefully obtuse." We simply have different points of view about what constitutes a "good game." I think the game you described is a good game, regardless of the ultimate outcome, because both players were playing their hardest and engaging fully. I think gandalf actually made a good point--if you're facing a squad where half of the points are tied up in a single piece, you as the opponent know that you have to deploy certain strategies to get a win. You either make up for it with gambit, or you go after that piece. The other point I would want to make would be that a 10-hp Luke is still ON THE BOARD. He is every bit as deadly as a 150-hp Luke. That's a lesson I have learned early and well...if you leave a piece alive, it is very much still capable of killing you. So just because one player had poured a lot of damage into Luke, that doesn't mean that that player was somehow more successful than the opponent. I'm simply arguing against the idea that any particular outcome is somehow inherently unfair.

But the thing is, we can go back and forth, coming up with scenarios that seem unfair from our own perspectives all day. What it comes down to is, what kind of experience do we want people to have playing this game? I want people to feel like they have options to make up for bad match ups and strategies they can employ to get a win, even if it's not pretty all the time. Other people seem to just want the winner to be "fair," whatever that means to them. But many of those same people will freely admit to doing anything within the rules to win. I guess I'm just more interested in the overall experience of the game, for both players. Not just whether the winner got something he or she "didn't deserve," but also whether the loser felt like he or she had a fighting chance.
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2020 4:17:51 PM

UrbanShmi wrote:
The other point I would want to make would be that a 10-hp Luke is still ON THE BOARD. He is every bit as deadly as a 150-hp Luke. That's a lesson I have learned early and well...if you leave a piece alive, it is very much still capable of killing you.

Absolutely! I agree with you! I was trying to paint a picture with that example, but the hp left are irrelevant.

The only way we would ever know exactly what will happen - IS TO ACTUALLY LET IT PLAY OUT! ThumbsUp (Don't we like playing the game? I would take either side of that equation and relish playing it out!)

UrbanShmi wrote:
We simply have different points of view about what constitutes a "good game."

Apparently. It does seem completely counter to the years of "must have engagement" and "finish games" mantra that has been preached for years.

What I don't think is being recognized is that it is a major NPE to many players. This thread is evidence of that. It's honestly one of my biggest NPEs in the game. We're not bringing it up just because we're bored. This really effects the game in a negative way for many players.

Keep in mind I'm one of the creators of TILE WARS. The "no ifs, ands or buts - Kill 'em all" format.

Games ending before time with pieces left on the board makes my skin crawl.

It's enough of a negative impact that several of us are going to bat over it. I may be the most outspoken at this point, but it's because I realize now how am far from alone I am in feeling this way.

I think the most frustrating part is that for the players who do kill the entire other squad - nothing changes. The argument on the other side is by definition wanting games to end before time with pieces left on the board. But nobody seems willing to actually say that. They keep putting out tangential arguments that are either irrelevant or means nothing would change on their end if it were instituted.

It feels like there is a significant group that is passionate that this is a bad thing.

The other group won't come out and say they think it's a great thing - they just are trying to negate our negative experience of this happening (by in large, not 100%).

Most people haven't really answered the question: what is the downside?

If you play fast and completely kill your opponent (or get completely killed) - nothing changes. If games go to time - nothing changes. There is a very specific thing we want to prevent, and this is pinpointing it.

We as a group are expressing that this really bothers us. I feel like we're being gaslit that we're overreacting that we think it's a problem at all.

Are you simply going to say well "too bad" and alienate a significant segment of the community over something that would change literally nothing if you already finish games by killing all the pieces?
UrbanShmi
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2020 4:38:05 PM

No, of course not. Like I said, what I want most is for BOTH people playing to have a great time. There seems to be a lot of argument about what that means. I'm certainly not trying to gaslight you, and I"m sorry it feels that way. Your feelings are valid, even if you're the only one who feels that way. I don't see the mountains of support for your position that you seem to see, but maybe you're talking to people "behind the scenes" who just haven't spoken up yet.

You're right, I'm reluctant for things to change. I think they work. More than that, I just tend to be conservative about these things. I would need to see a lot of evidence that there's a problem. What I'm seeing is a lot of scenarios that are cherry-picked to seem obviously unfair to people on one side, but that actually don't seem that clear-cut to me. But accusing people who disagree with you of acting in bad faith does nothing to win them to your side.

I'm sorry this is such an NPE for you. Of course I would like to remove NPEs from the game as much as possible, so that everyone can have the best time possible playing this game we all enjoy. But sometimes removing NPEs is not possible. Sometimes it even invites bigger problems. I don't know if that would be the case here, but it seems worth a real consideration.

What might be useful is to get a sense of how many games are actually "going to time," and how many games are "ending early." I think overall a LOT fewer games are going to time. But that's anecdotal. As far as ending early, maybe it would be helpful to have people report whether games that ended at 200 points ended due to kills or gambit. I actually support trying this out in your tourney next weekend, with adding gambit only if it becomes necessary to determine a winner, so gambit won't end the game on its own. I think that will give us some useful data. Until then, we're all just talking from our guts about what we FEEL the situation is.
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2020 4:48:04 PM

UrbanShmi wrote:
Your feelings are valid, even if you're the only one who feels that way.

Wow, talk about gaslighting. I feel like that was a personal attack.

I literally quoted 5 people in the original post
UrbanShmi
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2020 4:53:08 PM

Apologies. I worded that poorly. It certainly was not meant as an attack, but I see why it seemed that way.

I just went back to the first post. You quoted fourpeople, plus FLyingArrow, who did not actually express an opinion on the substance of the complaint. There are at least as many people in this thread who have expressed reluctance to make changes. So it seems to me that the community is about evenly split, at least so far.
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2020 5:07:02 PM

UrbanShmi wrote:
Apologies. I worded that poorly. It certainly was not meant as an attack, but I see why it seemed that way.

I just went back to the first post. You quoted fourpeople, plus FLyingArrow, who did not actually express an opinion on the substance of the complaint. There are at least as many people in this thread who have expressed reluctance to make changes. So it seems to me that the community is about evenly split, at least so far.

If you count some people that don’t really see a need to change anything and some people that are really upset by it as evenly split, I think you may need to examine your criteria.

How important of an issue is it to you that games must finish early through gambit points?

It’s a hill I am ready to die on.

So unless you feel that strongly on the opposite side - that’s not even.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2020 5:24:41 PM

So the people who "want it more" should just win? No discussion, just some sort of contest of desire? I am worried about making changes because I think the competitive game functions and I can't predict what will happen if things change. I feel like that's a perspective at least worth considering. It can't just all be about a person's passion about an issue--there has to be a meeting of the minds and a discussion of the issues. Passion only goes so far.

To me, the issue is not games "ending early." To me, earning the build total is a valid way to win, however you go about it. I do feel strongly about that, but probably not as strongly as you feel about your argument. Honestly, the types of games the other people in this thread seem to want seem exhausting to me. Some games just need to end. I get overwhelmed and emotional when I have to play those games out. Maybe that's a flaw in my character, but there it is. One or the other player getting to 200 points in those games is a good thing, from my perspective, because it means that I have some time to rest up for my next match. I can't imagine playing 4-6 games that all go to time in one day. I would be spent.

I don't "want games to end early." I just want games to end.

FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2020 5:25:06 PM

I don't think this became an issue until we went to 10pt gambit. With 5pt gambit, it was rare that someone would go over 200pts before it was apparent who had the upper hand. With 10pt gambit, games can (and sometimes do) end with someone going over 200pts while both sides have 50+ pts of characters on the board. When those 50pts of the losing side are just back-row commanders, no big deal. In that case, the game is decided anyway and it's nice to not have to waste time chasing down the commanders. But when those 50pts are combatants and either side could win if there were another round, ending early is a pretty disappointing outcome in my book.

Either of these would be a good change in my opinion:
* Go back to 5pt gambit. Because I never noticed this issue with 5pt gambit. Gambit totals just didn't get high enough to make the game feel like it ended too early.
* Add in gambit only at the end of the game. Add it in regardless of whether the game goes to time or one side is wiped out. That way it doesn't affect scoring.
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2020 5:52:29 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
* Go back to 5pt gambit. Because I never noticed this issue with 5pt gambit. Gambit totals just didn't get high enough to make the game feel like it ended too early.
* Add in gambit only at the end of the game. Add it in regardless of whether the game goes to time or one side is wiped out. That way it doesn't affect scoring.

I agree, but I feel like there is stronger resistance to dropping 10pt gambit, and I have heard some valid reasons why in some cases 10pt gambit is good. So I'm essentially conceding that.

The verbiage "Adding in gambit at the end of the game" is really confusing some people. I had someone say to me "That seems like it's more to keep track of." But it's not.

Current criteria that ends a game (outside of concession)

1. One team has no pieces worth points left on the board.

2. The round in which time is called ends.

3. The end of the round in which that at least one player reaches 200pts.

Here's what the change we are asking for would look like:

You still get 10pt gambit. You still keep track the same way you always have. If at the end of the game you've scored the most points and have over 200, you get full victory points (currently 3). There is nothing extra to keep track of.

The ONLY difference, is that the game doesn't end simply by reaching 200. Either one team has no pieces worth points left on the board, or time is called.

Also something that wouldn't change - you can concede at any point. If you feel overwhelmed at any point, simply bow out. The rest of us would like to be allowed to finish those types of games with each other. It seems unfair to be told that we officially can't.
DarthMaim
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2020 6:30:01 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:

I agree, but I feel like there is stronger resistance to dropping 10pt gambit, and I have heard some valid reasons why in some cases 10pt gambit is good. So I'm essentially conceding that.

The verbiage "Adding in gambit at the end of the game" is really confusing some people. I had someone say to me "That seems like it's more to keep track of." But it's not.

Here's what the change we are asking for would look like:

You still get 10pt gambit. You still keep track the same way you always have. If at the end of the game you've scored the most points and have over 200, you get full victory points (currently 3). There is nothing extra to keep track of.

The ONLY difference, is that the game doesn't end simply by reaching 200. Either one team has no pieces worth points left on the board, or time is called.

Also something that wouldn't change - you can concede at any point. If you feel overwhelmed at any point, simply bow out. The rest of us would like to be allowed to finish those types of games with each other. It seems unfair to be told that we officially can't.

+1. I dig this, however, I still like Chargers idea of a 10 pt mini to get 5 pts ThumpUp
urbanjedi
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2020 7:49:36 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:

This isn't quite correct. I believe the floor rules say:

Quote:

Victory Condition: Victory is achieved if one player eliminates his opponent's entire
squad (including Reinforcements) at the end of a round while having at least one piece of his
own remaining. If this has not occurred at the end of a round, if at least one player has scored
points equal to or in excess of the format point limit (100, 150 or 200 points), the player with
the most victory points wins. If both players meet this condition and have the same number of
victory points, players play an additional round. The player with the most victory points at the
end of the extra round wins. If the players are still have the same number of victory points,
additional rounds are played until the tie is broken, or match time runs out

Now usually if you eliminate all your opponents pieces worth points, with any gambit you have (if they built less than the build total) it does end the game.
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2020 8:29:30 PM

I’m not seeing how that is any functionally different than what I put

(Edit - other than explaining further in case of a point score tie above 200, which is an addendum, not contradictory. Furthermore, it is unnecessary with the proposed change.)
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2020 8:35:29 PM

I guess we may as well address it with this wording.
Quote:

Victory Condition: Victory is achieved if one player eliminates his opponent's entire
squad (including Reinforcements) at the end of a round while having at least one piece of his
own remaining If this has not occurred at the end of a round, if at least one player has scored
points equal to or in excess of the format point limit (100, 150 or 200 points), the player with
the most victory points wins. If both players meet this condition and have the same number of
victory points, players play an additional round. The player with the most victory points at the
end of the extra round wins. If the players are still have the same number of victory points,
additional rounds are played until the tie is broken
, or match time runs out

There. Fixed.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2020 9:00:10 PM

So, one of the conflicts I'm seeing is "The game shouldn't be over until one side is eradicated" vs "I shouldn't have to go hunt down my opponent's office staff to clinch the win."

Is there any penalty in place that might unintentionally prevent honorable concessions? Or is there any reason to believe many/any people would slow-play or turtle their commanders to be jerks instead of just conceding?

Losing on a technicality of gambit when you had the upper hand is bad, but I'm not sure it warrants forcing folks to go dig out General Rieekan and an R7 from the pointless turbolift in the corner. While we're encouraging engagement, we also need to make sure folks have space to end the engagement when there's a clear victor. This is Star Wars Minis, not Monopoly Smile

I think it is VERY important that we get some data on this Maybe at the upcoming tournament, ask folks to pay special attention to reporting those situations where they reasonably could have pulled out the win, and/or it was clear they lost but the game dragged on another round or so to hit the point limit.

I'm still in the "Let's change something" camp, but the data may be important here. On a one-to-one ratio, yeah, I'd rather have to go chase down a couple of fugitive ugnaughts one game if it meant my GOWK was able to tank out the win and overcome a gambit lead in the next. But, if changing things means that 9 out of 10 games turn into a snipe hunt and only one of them gives a shot - maybe not even a good shot - at a close win, it's really not worth the kerfuffle.

One last thought: what if there was another threshold above 200 points that gambit DID count for? So, the game ends at 200 ONLY if you have eliminated your opponent's entire squad, but gambit CAN end it at 250? Probably more trouble than it's worth. However, it would hopefully give a time cushion to finish the match properly but still have a mechanism for a decisive cut-off - if they can't challenge your 10hp Luke in gambit, then they really should be out of chances to win. I get that death traps aren't fun, but at the end of the game that's just better positioning, and we shouldn't ban that.

CorellianComedian
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2020 10:08:45 PM

One last thing: I think this issue is worth discussing, and I think we'd benefit from change, but I'm not convinced that anything suggested here (or sticking with status quo) will ruin the game one way or another. Going back to 5pt gambit or not is not going to be anywhere near as bad for the game as Cloaked Blast Bugs, or Klat Assassins, or Daala, or Nikto Soldiers.

If gambit changes to be more annihilation-friendly, awesome. I'll plan for that and maybe bring fewer helpless interns in my squads. Either way, I didn't come for the Ugnaught duck-hunt at the end and I'm not going to leave because my opponent was better at king of the hill at the beginning.

In the scheme of things, this is not important. This discussion is valuable only so far as it improves the game's experience. The soul of the game is not at risk either way.