RegisterDonateLogin

Affinity: Your squad may contain Bloo Milk, regardless of faction.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Poll Question : Should SSM change?
Choice Votes Statistics
yes, errata the ability so it is like parry+evade 3 3.529411 %
yes, but alter it in some other fashion 1 1.176470 %
no, only GOWK needs addressing 62 72.941176 %
no changes at all, reintroduce GOWK as is 12 14.117647 %
too early to tell 7 8.235294 %

the probelms that that FlObi brings Options
fingersandteeth
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2009 3:35:08 AM
Groups: Member

ok so i can't seem to run a poll like this on gamers but as i see it this is a pretty important issue for this game moving forward.

SSM is obviously not going anywhere, the next 3 sets have probably been created seeing as Rob was usually working 3 sets ahead and seeing as he isn't there now the next few advertised sets are probably made, and probably designed with SSM in mind.

So we have another new Obi with SSM and one of the main critisisms of GOWK was not the combination of abilities but of SSM itself. The fact that it exisits on a second figure makes it hard to keep a wrap on SSM by keeping GOWK banned unless the competitive game becomes increasingly restrictive.

However, the outcry against the new obi is failry muted and many people seem happy with him so i'd like to find out what people are actually thinking.

Personally, i'm at a point where the game is becoming so increasingly save based to the point where SSM really doesn't bother me much. The MOTF2 on GOWK does and always has bothered me particulally as there is no reason for him to have it. The fact that this obi doesn't have MOTF2 reinforces me that this is the way forward.

However, i am one man so i want to know what you lot think.
Jonnyb815
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2009 3:54:46 AM

The problem with GOWK was the combo of all the stats in one. GOWk with SSM,CE,MOTF,Renewal and all the force powers was too good for 55 points. the new obi is 66 with balanced stats. I say SSM should stay the same and keep GOWK banned since his cost of 55 makes no sense with this new obi costing 66. The new Obi CE is good but at 66 you should be able to kill the support and then kill him. The combo stats are not broken this time around.This time around Obi with limited force and a one strong force power will be more of a challenge to keep a live than the last one. He has more offense with flight and surprise move than the last one. If you want a the GOWK CE run GM yoda or if you want SSM with a good CE run this obi. I think this obi was needed to change out the meta though.
Urza Planeswalker Jedi Master
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2009 3:54:50 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I like the new Obi. SSM isnt a problem. Ive never heard of anyone complaing about Jarael. She has both Evade and Parry. I think with the limited number of force points and no way of giving renewal in Republic, he shouldnt be a problem.
fingersandteeth
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2009 4:20:32 AM

the point is that SSM is better than parry evade.

dmg from any attack can be avoided by GOWK, not so with Jareal.
Dr. Destructo
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2009 5:04:17 AM

yeah, I like it on the new obi, seems fair. Powerful, but not obscene.
AdmiralAckbar
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2009 5:11:15 AM

I think this new obi is cost effective but not broken. Now I hope we don't get a force battery for the Republic because then people can put some nasty combos on this New obi.
Quarlitox
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2009 5:14:46 AM

Just re cost him, 80 pts IMO
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2009 5:18:04 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

If you take into account the new Obi at 66pts, with all the same physical stats and about the same abilities/powers, minus the MOTF2, and about the same CE (+4/+4 vs Extra Attack being about equal points wise)...I would say that GOWK is super undercosted. If he was around 80+pts, then he might reach about where he should be with all those abilities.
Weeks
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2009 7:14:15 AM

i feel like they wanted to have GOWK back in there so they could quit hearing about it. This new Obi takes away everything we didnt like as in master of the force 2, force renewal 1. and gives him limits on what he can do as in only 5 force points no renewal and no master of the force he still has mettle but he will fly through all of his FP quick if he cant make saves.

If you play the new obi you will prob be paying 66 points for a ce (a good one at that) and for a tough to kill piece. Flight does help his Offense but if you advance him be prepared to run through your FP quick.

What im trying to say is this new obi is your GOWK they should keep GOWK out of the game and not start errataing him like crazy we have an awesome obi now lets move on past the GOWK stage
DarthJak
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2009 7:17:54 AM

Confused another GOWK thread??
oh my oh my I'm so confused!
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2009 7:19:41 AM

I'd say we should skip over GOWK and get on with our lives, but this game and this particular site has already sucked up most of ours. :P
StevenO
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2009 10:23:37 AM

Parry + Evade may not be quite the same as SSM but it is pretty close. SSM doesn't trigger any of the effects which are tied to Parry or Evade and SSM can also be negated Makashi Style Mastery. As a commander Obi-Wan is not eligable for the Twi'lek BSV but with SSM it wouldn't matter if he was a follower. Now if they wanted to change SSM so that an adjacent shooter could ignore it that would be fine but by that same tolken it would probably be fine if they allowed Parry to work against any adjacent attack turning the defense provided by Parry + Evade into what SSM provides.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2009 10:42:05 AM

This is our new GOWK. Period.
*No MoTF 2. (cant stack mettle anymore, and not that you really had to to begin with.)
*No Knight speed
*No force Push
*No Crazy off the wall CE granting Boba BH a 28 def in cover, and a 22 to attack a unique enemy.

Why are we even talking about Changing the errata on GOWK, when Wizards did exactly what we asked them to do, make another Playable version of him.
Soresu Style Mastery works like Jaraels Evade/Parry. in my opinion, it saves room on the card to put Soresu Style Mastery instead of Evade and Parry.
Soresu is not the problem here.
GOWK is dead issue, this is what Wizards gave us. I for one am very happy with this new Kenobi, and so is my capt. Rex.Flapper
fingersandteeth
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2009 12:25:36 PM

the response speaks volumes.

thanks
Draconarius
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2009 12:26:13 PM

Quote:
I for one am very happy with this new Kenobi, and so is my capt. Rex.

Gah! Scared Don't even mention that. I am not looking forward to my first time on the receiving end of that combo. Time to start playing Wedge/Rieekan 99% of the time again, me thinks.

Anyway, I chose to leave SSM alone and just address GOWK... which, in my opinion, has been done with this new Obi-Wan. The lack of MOTF and Renewal balances SSM out (though he could have done without Mettle, IMO), and with two awesome combos chewing up his 5 FPs, they aren't going to last long. My vote now would be to leave GOWK banned and not further complicate the issue by giving him an errata.
Sithborg
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2009 12:37:34 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

I like the new Obi, I never really had much of an issue with SSM, it is just the combination of abilities on GOWK that broke it. However, I think this Obi will be fine if SSM was changed to bring GOWK back. Flight + Surprise Move is still crazy good, and even with GOWK back, he will be the go to piece for Rex.
Noru
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2009 7:14:36 AM

This new Obi is NOT undercosted. Compare him to Darth Vader LotF : Vader has same CE, better stats, more offensive and defensive powers, FR1... Obi has higher mobility though.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2009 7:26:42 AM

Draconarius wrote:
Quote:
I for one am very happy with this new Kenobi, and so is my capt. Rex.

Gah! Scared Don't even mention that. I am not looking forward to my first time on the receiving end of that combo. Time to start playing Wedge/Rieekan 99% of the time again, me thinks.

Anyway, I chose to leave SSM alone and just address GOWK... which, in my opinion, has been done with this new Obi-Wan. The lack of MOTF and Renewal balances SSM out (though he could have done without Mettle, IMO), and with two awesome combos chewing up his 5 FPs, they aren't going to last long. My vote now would be to leave GOWK banned and not further complicate the issue by giving him an errata.

LOL 99pts of Triple/Twin Goodness.
im already going back and forth on what my other 101 pts. are going to be.
Me Thinks Panaka, DoomBot, Mas Amedda and some uggies. dont know what else to put in there.
Hopefully those ARF troopers will be cheap.....

Draconarius
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2009 1:11:10 PM

Noru wrote:
This new Obi is NOT undercosted. Compare him to Darth Vader LotF : Vader has same CE, better stats, more offensive and defensive powers, FR1... Obi has higher mobility though.

I agree with everything bar 'more defensive powers'. I really doubt that Lightsaber Reflect and Dark Armour compares in even the slightest to SSM.
Sithborg
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2009 1:23:46 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Draconarius wrote:
Noru wrote:

I agree with everything bar 'more defensive powers'. I really doubt that Lightsaber Reflect and Dark Armour compares in even the slightest to SSM.

Reflect and Dark Armor pale to SSM + Mettle.