RegisterDonateLogin

I do not want the Emperor's prize damaged. We will test it on Bloo Milk.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

The game could use a Lobot-omy Options
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2021 9:13:15 PM
Groups: Member

Hello Bloomilk!!

Man, haven't said those words in a while!

My absence from the game and community has been partially do to pursuing a career and partially do to playing other competitive games. I've anguished over Armada, lavished in League of Legends, Mixed it up with Magic the Gathering and tickled some other table tops.

With those different gained vantage points for competitive gaming there are some things that really stick out about SWM. For this post I'm just going to focus on Lobot though.

Lobot, the perennial squad staple and flexibility flamingo of fear. Let me count the ways that I loathe you.

1. Unlimited flexibility: Any Fringe character ever created below 20 is up for game. How can I counter you? Sorry, I need to search bloomilk first to find out...

2. Killing his reinforcements don't net you any points. Not only does your opponent get to counter you, but if you do manage to kill the counter you receive no points for it. Oh, and Muun Tactics Brokers FREE sacrificial mice? Don't get me started.

3. No negatives. Other than some poorly designed counters there are no natural negatives to running Lobot. Unless you count the time it adds to the beginning of the game. Oh, and hes 27, 1 point cheaper than 20 points of something plus and R7, lol, perfect.

The reason I bring him up and Reinforcements is because I would love for this game to be as enticing as it can be to new players or even returning players. No other game are you given the rediculous amount of versatility Lobot gives you with literally no opportunity costs.

I do not want to see Lobot or Reinforcements removed from the game though. The versatility it provides is akin to mechanics a lot of other competitive games have. Just not to this absurd level...

I would love to see 3 changes to Reinforcements.

1. Limit Reinforcement Options: Each player would be alotted half the build total in Reinforcement options. So for a standard 200 point Tournament you would be allowed 100 points in Reinforcement options.

2. Reinforcements Kills: Allow reinforcements to count for kill points. It makes little sense why you can bring in these pieces, but not have them count. I understand the original reasoning, but it was foolish. Especially considering Thrawn and Yobuck were around.

3. Gambit scoring? If #2 is put in place then consider allowing Reinforcements to score Gambit. Personally, I do not mind them counting for Kill Points, but not being able to score Gambit. However it may be simpler to just say they can do both.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Anything we can do to push the game to be more appealing to a wider variety of players should be done, imo. As long is the community is onboarding of course.

-DarthFrenchy
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2021 8:02:21 AM

Clever title!

I'm certainly not contesting his power. He gets stronger with every set.

I honestly don't think narrowing the reinforcement options to 100pts changes much. As an avid Lobot player, it's rare I would consider anything beyond that.

Having his reinforcement pieces count for points when killed would be a major change. Would that make Lobot cost 7 when killed? Or would that essentially make you have a 220pt squad? Would the opponent have to get to 220, or only 200? If only 200 then that is a virtual death strike against reinforcements.

Would this be only for Lobot? Others probably deserve the same. New Jabba? For sure. Would it be for only Fringe reinforcements? But what about WotC Jabba? He's certainly not an issue.

How about other factions?

Quorreal - probably. Valenthyne Farfalla - ok. But power level of reinforcement pieces drops off sharply after that.

Jaster Mareel, already not a power piece, becomes nearly unplayable. Garm Bel Iblis becomes laughable. I know players are quaking in their boots over Nute Gunray.

And what about non full faction reinforcements? Pieces like Bo-Katan that are expressly limited to bringing in a single piece? What about sub-faction specific reinforcements, like Boss Nass's Gungan reinforcements?

Ok then what about bribery? All the same tons and tons of options for 10pts or less.

How about reserves? It's not automatic, it takes the "skill" of rolling a random number. RollEyes

And CEs like Pellaeon - does that factor in?

I want to be clear that I am not against taking some kind of action. It all comes down to "where do you draw the line"

I think simply something universal such as "For competitive play, no piece may add more than 2 characters to a squad." would be fine. If out activating is the issue - it hurts that directly without affecting other things nearly as much.

Also - we need to STOP designing new pieces with full faction (ESPECIALLY Fringe) reinforcements. New Jabba was such a monumentally bad idea (on many levels), but most of all for giving him reinforcements. WHYYYYYYYYYYYY!?!
Naarkon
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2021 9:20:48 AM

Unfortunately, I think both of you are right.

I personally really dislike reinforcements, and Lobot is obviously the premiere reinforcements piece. I don't like building a squad and showing up the table and my opponent looks at my squad, pulls out a massive bin of every fringe peice ever printed, and basically just gets to exploit any weaknesses I have. Part of the blame for this, in my mind, is on the designers who kept pumping out sub-20 fringe pieces as answers to things. I'd like to severely limit that in competitive games.

At the same time, so many balance and design decisions have been made around the current ruling on how adding pieces works. Lobot is annoying and overpowered, but there's a good number of later pieces that are properly balanced and limited. I don't think changing the mechanics of reinforcements is a good idea, because there are too many "reinforcements but slightly different" pieces out there.

My solution? Ban Lobot. Just build a better squad before the tournament.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2021 9:28:15 AM

Naarkon wrote:

I personally really dislike reinforcements, and Lobot is obviously the premiere reinforcements piece. I don't like building a squad and showing up the table and my opponent looks at my squad, pulls out a massive bin of every fringe peice ever printed, and basically just gets to exploit any weaknesses I have. Part of the blame for this, in my mind, is on the designers who kept pumping out sub-20 fringe pieces as answers to things. I'd like to severely limit that in competitive games.

At the same time, so many balance and design decisions have been made around the current ruling on how adding pieces works. Lobot is annoying and overpowered, but there's a good number of later pieces that are properly balanced and limited. I don't think changing the mechanics of reinforcements is a good idea, because there are too many "reinforcements but slightly different" pieces out there.

Ok, but then what about new Jabba? Does the same thing and is a crazy power 10 even without reinforcements.
thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2021 9:42:12 AM

I haven't seen Lobot being used too often recently, but maybe that's just perspective bias.

Personally, I think this might be an option to consider:
--> Lobot costs 27 for squad-building purposes. During gameplay, Lobot is worth 7pts when killed, and his reinforcements give normal points when killed (and can score gambit if they fit the pts criteria). Same thing with Jabba (costs 43 in squadbuilding, but 23 when killed, or with Bib's rapport that's 35 in squadbuilding and 15 when killed) and other reinforcement pieces.

Lobot will still be valuable because he's the cheapest Override piece and brings versatility, but at least we won't have to deal with the stupid that is 0-cost pieces in combat.

Does this help to address the issue?
Naarkon
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2021 9:52:33 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Naarkon wrote:

Ok, but then what about new Jabba? Does the same thing and is a crazy power 10 even without reinforcements.

Honestly, I haven't really looked at that piece much. If it becomes a problem, then ban it on its own. I just think changing the reinforcements mechanic would lead to either changing a whole bunch of mechanics or having piece-specific edge cases and becomes yet another errata to remember. If a piece is a competitive problem and hurts squad diversity, ban it.
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2021 4:47:34 PM

It looks like we can all agree that reducing reinforcement options to 100 is a reasonably change. It would save time at the beginning of the game, remove an NPE and help the game to mirror other competitive games out there.

As for having reinforcement options count for points and score gambit. I disagree with it being a death strike against reinforcements. Even with that change any squad I run would still have Lobot. He is quite simply to good not to run. Would reinforcements have a well deserved downside by having their units count points? Oh yes, but it would not be the death of those units.

I do like TINTS suggestion, but I do prefer for their to be a trade off for the versatility that Reinforcement/Bribery pieces bring. Obviously if we all aren't game for that then I think TINTS could be a good compromise and much needed.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2021 5:24:43 PM

I feel like preparing 100 points of reinforcement options in advance for each tournament is quite a big admin task that will make the game more of a chore.
AndyHatton
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2021 7:26:48 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Darth_Frenchy wrote:
It looks like we can all agree that reducing reinforcement options to 100 is a reasonably change. It would save time at the beginning of the game, remove an NPE and help the game to mirror other competitive games out there.

I don’t think everyone does agree on that.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2021 7:52:32 PM

It's a big additional complication to squadbuilding. You would now have to build two separate squads - one main squad and one 100pt list of options. And as Tim indicated, 100pts would be enough to cover pretty much everything you might want to bring anyway.
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2021 11:58:48 AM

Then don't play reinforcements? You are wanting all of the benefits of maximum flexibility without any skill or opportunity cost? That's just bad game design...
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2021 1:12:02 PM

You are wanting to impose additional burden on the players (and tournament organizers) for little to no benefit. That's just bad game design...
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2021 1:39:17 PM

Having to put together 100pts of reinforcements will be a massive pain.

It wouldn't be all that bad in an in-person tournament; whenever I played Lobot I always compiled a list of all of the pieces I needed and then left everything else at home--I just didn't want to have to carry a bunch of un-needed stuff with me.

However, think about how this would work with the BlooMilk squad builder: you'd have to repopulate that list each time you built a squad! If you make 5 squads with Lobot or Jabba, then you've suddenly got to make 500pts-worth of Reinforcement lists! ugh. not gunna happen...

Still, I think the simplest solution is to make Reinforcement pieces work exactly as normal pieces (count for kill points, can score gambit if they qualify) and lower the kill points for Reinforcement pieces (Lobot, Jabba) by their Reinforcement value. Simple, easy, done. And honestly, it just makes more sense from a gameplay perspective.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2021 2:33:08 PM

Returning from the Void myself:

Reinforcements are worth points when killed and can score gambit.
Pieces with Reinforcements are worth (cost-Reinforcements) when killed.

Trade one unintuitive exception for another, except it's better for the game overall.
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2021 4:31:28 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
You are wanting to impose additional burden on the players (and tournament organizers) for little to no benefit. That's just bad game design...

It's a benefit you may not value, but the reinforcement NPE, among others, has caused players to leave. It would be like having a side board in Magic the Gathering including every card ever made, lol. It is laughable... Limiting side of board options for versatility is a normal practice in competitive games. Not having it pushes both Spike and Jonny mentality players out of the game.

Going forward it would be great to start making common sense changes to the game so we can try to grow and not just maintain.

I am assuming that your answer if we did anything would be to just ban reinforcement pieces...
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2021 4:44:45 PM

thereisnotry wrote:

It wouldn't be all that bad in an in-person tournament; whenever I played Lobot I always compiled a list of all of the pieces I needed and then left everything else at home--I just didn't want to have to carry a bunch of un-needed stuff with me.

However, think about how this would work with the BlooMilk squad builder: you'd have to repopulate that list each time you built a squad! If you make 5 squads with Lobot or Jabba, then you've suddenly got to make 500pts-worth of Reinforcement lists! ugh. not gunna happen...

Still, I think the simplest solution is to make Reinforcement pieces work exactly as normal pieces (count for kill points, can score gambit if they qualify) and lower the kill points for Reinforcement pieces (Lobot, Jabba) by their Reinforcement value. Simple, easy, done. And honestly, it just makes more sense from a gameplay perspective.

It would take more time, but that is the price we would pay for versatility, IMO. Just like any other side of board mechanic in a competitive game. I think it would be better to take the time in squad building than for it to take extra time at the beginning of the game.

The more I think about it the more I like that solution! It takes away the NPE of swapping in a zero point piece or using the MTB with sacrificial Mice. I would prefer if the piece that brought them in was worth its original points, but this change is definitely better then it's current iteration.
adamb0nd
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2021 4:58:49 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
little to no benefit.

Benefit seems to be shifting the time spent squad building and digging through a collection pre-match to pre-tournament. Some time will still occur to choose from those 100pts, but it should be quicker. This punishes the player playing reinforcements, but reduces the punishment (npe) from the person who has to play against lobot.

It also limits power to respond via reinforcement (which grows more powerful with each v-set).

I don't know if that all is worth it or not. Lobot's been around longer than I have, so I don't really feel it's my place to judge him.
adamb0nd
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2021 5:09:50 PM

Darth_Frenchy wrote:
I would prefer if the piece that brought them in was worth its original points, but this change is definitely better then it's current iteration.

So lobot and his reinforcements would be worth 47 points if all defeated, assuming all 20pts of reinforcements were used? That would be interesting.
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2021 5:46:08 PM

adamb0nd wrote:
Darth_Frenchy wrote:
I would prefer if the piece that brought them in was worth its original points, but this change is definitely better then it's current iteration.

So lobot and his reinforcements would be worth 47 points if all defeated, assuming all 20pts of reinforcements were used? That would be interesting.

No, I think you misunderstand:

During squadbuilding, Lobot costs 27pts (obviously)
During squadbuilding, his reinforcements cost 0pts (because they haven't been decided yet)
...total of 27pts

During the match, Lobot is worth 7pts when killed.
During the match, his reinforcements are worth their actual pts when killed (ie, a Reinforcement Uggie is worth 3pts, etc)
...total of 27pts
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2021 5:49:49 PM

Darth_Frenchy wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:

It would take more time, but that is the price we would pay for versatility, IMO. Just like any other side of board mechanic in a competitive game. I think it would be better to take the time in squad building than for it to take extra time at the beginning of the game.

The more I think about it the more I like that solution! It takes away the NPE of swapping in a zero point piece or using the MTB with sacrificial Mice. I would prefer if the piece that brought them in was worth its original points, but this change is definitely better then it's current iteration.
Here I'm speaking from my own experience and not trying to speak for everyone else: In the few times where my opponent has brought Lobot recently, it has taken 1-2 minutes (maximum) for my opponent to choose his reinforcements...and usually it's just a few seconds. It could be that others have had a different experience with this recently, but I have certainly not encountered a notable time delay at all.