RegisterDonateLogin

Finding this site was the will of the Force, I have no doubt about that.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Our games Daal-ema Options
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2021 8:30:06 PM
Groups: Member

Quote:
I played Snowtroopers in 2014 and won the PA regional with Daala.

I was a pretty strong proponent of toning down Snowtroopers after playing them at an NZ national champs back around 2014. Apart from a pool match and final against Dr Daman's Raxus Primes, every game was a complete walkover and it wasn't fun for anyone. Just waited until the other players moved all their stuff, then rolled out my 18(!) Snow Troopers and shot the crap out of everything.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/141908/---and-thats-why-i-dont-respect-you-
Mando
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2021 5:11:14 AM

the issue seems to be is outactivate and smash being reliant on swarms of non-uiques, so maybe a new special ability like this would help:

Inside Operative (At the end of this characters turn, you may select all unactivated non-unique enemies. This round, after all characters in your squad are activated, each non-unique enemy without a force rating is considered activated; save 16.

Basically this is an advanced version of the CE on Queen Amanoa that is now a SA and targets only non-uniques, so it encourages more uniques to be played these outactivate and smash squads. it would level the playing field quite a lot i think and force people to run more lower activation squads built around uniques. a person could still build a squad with more activations than you with some non-uniques. i put the force rating bit in there to allow some force centric teams to benefit more since usually they are on the higher end for cost per non-unique. Put this ability on a fringe piece that costs 20pt or less and it can be brought in via reinforcements and be a instant counter to outactivate and smash squads that rely on low cost non-uniques. Basically the idea of this SA is that your unit that has this ability has infiltrated the enemy and come back to your side with the communication codes to sow discord among the ranks of the enemy, basically telling non-unique enemies (the grunts) to stay put that for further instruction and await new orders next round. I don't think this is to over the top and it addresses the concerns of the outactivate and smash swarms. Those types of squads will still be viable but not nearly as effective if their shooters end up getting acitvated. And again....this only effects non-uniques without force ratings....so basically a lot of what makes up the worst versions of outactivate and smash.

thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2021 7:14:09 AM

That's all fine and good, but it assumes you have Lobot in your squad. I think I've included Lobot in perhaps 2 of the squads I've built over the past year. He just doesn't show up as often now as he used to.

From the start I've always said that a broken piece just needs to be fixed (if it's clear that will solve the problem) or preferably banned. I've never been a fan of trying to design new counters, because often those counters are over-costed or useless apart from their niche role. Furthermore--and I think this is really at the heart of the issue--you shouldn't have to use your squad-building points to solve a problem that shouldn't even exist in the first place.

Daala is a broken piece; she's bad for the game in every way...let's vote her off the island and be done with her.
Mando
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2021 8:20:06 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
That's all fine and good, but it assumes you have Lobot in your squad. I think I've included Lobot in perhaps 2 of the squads I've built over the past year. He just doesn't show up as often now as he used to.

From the start I've always said that a broken piece just needs to be fixed (if it's clear that will solve the problem) or preferably banned. I've never been a fan of trying to design new counters, because often those counters are over-costed or useless apart from their niche role. Furthermore--and I think this is really at the heart of the issue--you shouldn't have to use your squad-building points to solve a problem that shouldn't even exist in the first place.

Daala is a broken piece; she's bad for the game in every way...let's vote her off the island and be done with her.

If you look at a lot of the top squads over the years, reinforcements was important, so i think a lot of squads will need lobot. Reinforcements is the answer to coutering the biggest NPE's. We just need a solid counter to outactivate and smash squads that rely on non-uniques that can be brought into any squad. Lobot is great for his cost. door control and flexibility! lots of really top squads have had him in it. there is a reason we have made so many fringe pieces as counters. If a person is thinking of running Daala realizes that anyone with reinforcements can instantly counter their outactivate and smash strategy, Daala won't be an issue anymore. The solution is pretty simple really and its not nessesary to ban a piece. Did we ban lancers years ago? No. It was a huge NPE and we designed counters. We just haven't come up with a hard enough counter to the Daala outact and smash issue and the SA that i proposed earlier on a 20pt or less fringe piece is a solution. You can include it on pieces within factions at more cost effective/useful kits. But the fact anyone can bring a counter in with reinforcements has always been a big help in balancing the meta, so why should we forget that and just ban something?

I'm surprised at how quickly people are jumping to just banning a piece. Don't like Lobot/Reinforcements? put a SA like the one i mentioned on more pieces in multiple factions that can do more things to help out. New Republic, Rebels, Imperials, OR, Sith, Seperatists all had history of infiltrating the opponents ranks and causing discord by giving false information. why not design faction units that can represent this? A fringe piece is for people with reinforcements but faction options should always be better costed and more useful for their faction, and you probably can include it with the rest of your squad to help in other ways.
Naarkon
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2021 8:47:20 AM

Mando wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:

If you look at a lot of the top squads over the years, reinforcements was important, so i think a lot of squads will need lobot. Reinforcements is the answer to coutering the biggest NPE's. We just need a solid counter to outactivate and smash squads that rely on non-uniques that can be brought into any squad. Lobot is great for his cost. door control and flexibility! lots of really top squads have had him in it. there is a reason we have made so many fringe pieces as counters. If a person is thinking of running Daala realizes that anyone with reinforcements can instantly counter their outactivate and smash strategy, Daala won't be an issue anymore. The solution is pretty simple really and its not nessesary to ban a piece. Did we ban lancers years ago? No. It was a huge NPE and we designed counters. We just haven't come up with a hard enough counter to the Daala outact and smash issue and the SA that i proposed earlier on a 20pt or less fringe piece is a solution. You can include it on pieces within factions at more cost effective/useful kits. But the fact anyone can bring a counter in with reinforcements has always been a big help in balancing the meta, so why should we forget that and just ban something?

I'm surprised at how quickly people are jumping to just banning a piece. Don't like Lobot/Reinforcements? put a SA like the one i mentioned on more pieces in multiple factions that can do more things to help out. New Republic, Rebels, Imperials, OR, Sith, Seperatists all had history of infiltrating the opponents ranks and causing discord by giving false information. why not design faction units that can represent this? A fringe piece is for people with reinforcements but faction options should always be better costed and more useful for their faction, and you probably can include it with the rest of your squad to help in other ways.

I can understand being cautious about banning pieces. Overpowered or not, Daala does have a large part in our game and has enabled a trooper swarm squad, which hasn't always been viable. I don't think we're really jumping that quickly to banning a piece. She's been out since vset 6(?) and has been errata'd, and a lot of people still think she's a problem. I don't see that as jumping to quickyl to conclusions.

I'm generally okay with making counters instead of piece changes, but I don't think it's possible to counter a single piece. Only Daala squads are overpowered, but any counter to her would likely nerf any other swarm squad, or prideful squad, or whatever other thing you counter from her card. Unless you make an ability that says "counter Daala in particular" I think you'd end up nerfing other tier 2 things that people enjoy and aren't problems. Strafe kinda counters Daala already, but strafe is also pretty good against most things that don't specifically have strafe counters and is its own (lesser) NPE for many people.

I am totally against making Lobot fringe counters to any piece. If the only efficient counter to a piece is to run Lobot, I would straight-up rather lose. Playing Lobot locks you out of any faction-specific or sub-faction squads, and ,frankly, doesn't take much thought to build or design around.

Edit: I forgot to address faction-specific reinfocements options. I don't hate it, but I'd rather avoid it. I think the game is at it's best when two people build squads and play against each other in a game, rolling dice and stuff, and not when one player has an advantage in squad-building. I know that certain squads will always have advantages against others, but reinforcements allow you to partially eliminate your own weaknesses and exploit opponents on a match-by-match basis, instead of building a squad and committing to running it, weaknesses or not.
Naarkon
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2021 8:53:49 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
you shouldn't have to use your squad-building points to solve a problem that shouldn't even exist in the first place.

This +10000000
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2021 9:05:36 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
you shouldn't have to use your squad-building points to solve a problem that shouldn't even exist in the first place.

Exactly! Just like the entire out activate and smash aspect of the game! Lol. If we remove Daala it will only be a matter of time before the next out act and smash squad takes its place. That is just how the game is designed and there is no avoiding that.
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2021 10:54:33 AM

Darth_Frenchy wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:

Exactly! Just like the entire out activate and smash aspect of the game! Lol. If we remove Daala it will only be a matter of time before the next out act and smash squad takes its place. That is just how the game is designed and there is no avoiding that.
Okay, but I think we've already brought the out-act-and-smash approach back in line by nerfing the Tempo Control pieces.

Have you seen what people have been playing in competitive tournaments recently? I've played in every (or almost every) SWM vassal tournament that has taken place since the covid lockdowns began. People are welcome to correct me on this, but it seems to me that the range of activations in each squad throughout all those tournaments has usually been anywhere from 8-14 activations. There are obviously a few squads that fall outside that range, but I seem to recall the vast majority of them falling within it. Out-activate-and-smash has NOT been an issue this year, other than this most recent tournament when you played Daala, and one tournament back in June when I played Daala Snowtroopers. Apart from these 2 tournaments, it hasn't shown up. At all.
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2021 11:49:56 AM

It's almost like no one has been trying to exploit the game. Multiple players have said there has been an armistice on Daala and Thrawn. I highly doubt anyone wants to be the out act and smash party pooper. We can have dreams that we have designed it out of the game, but it hasn't been. Clearly, otherwise we wouldn't be talking about Daala.
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2021 12:31:03 PM

Darth_Frenchy wrote:
It's almost like no one has been trying to exploit the game. Multiple players have said there has been an armistice on Daala and Thrawn. I highly doubt anyone wants to be the out act and smash party pooper. We can have dreams that we have designed it out of the game, but it hasn't been. Clearly, otherwise we wouldn't be talking about Daala.
Fair enough. But it's only about Daala. Apart from Daala there has been zero out-activate-and-smash this year. And Daala has only been used twice.

So (and I can't believe I'm saying this) I think that out-activate-and-smash isn't a problem anymore, at least not from what we've been seeing. Rather, Daala is a problem; both times that she's shown up, she's won the event and been a significant NPE for everyone involved.

But sure, it is absolutely possible that activation control is still a problem; but in order to know that for sure, then we'll need to see some results. Someone, please bring a different (non-Daala) swarm squad and we'll see what happens. Someone, please bring a different (non-Daala) out-activate-and-smash squad and we'll see how things go. It could be that activation control actually IS still a problem. What I'm saying is that, apart from Daala, there is currently no evidence to support that claim.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2021 12:34:22 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

There were two poggle bombs squads at Gen Con. Neither made a splash.
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2021 1:15:53 PM

Are there any other viable shooter swarms? I can’t think of any that move more than 6. Melee swarms tend to have a lot more issues with disruptive etc.
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2021 4:48:42 PM

UrbanShmi wrote:

But I bet they had a blast... Bomb eh? eh? LOL
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2021 5:50:17 PM

Darth_Frenchy wrote:
UrbanShmi wrote:

Nice. BlooMilk
DarkDracul
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2021 9:09:49 PM

Caedus
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2021 5:47:48 AM

Darth_Frenchy wrote:
UrbanShmi wrote:

Get out ThumbDown LOL
Caedus
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2021 6:00:48 AM

Not sure I'm a big fan of the pass mechanic. So we start a game and you out activate me by enough that I Pass my turn. I get to a point of engagement that now I've killed multiple pieces to out activate you and now my reward for engagement is that you can Pass your turn to try and regain an advantage that you lost through my better play? Not sure I like that.
DarkDracul
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2021 6:36:50 AM

Caedus wrote:
Not sure I'm a big fan of the pass mechanic. So we start a game and you out activate me by enough that I Pass my turn. I get to a point of engagement that now I've killed multiple pieces to out activate you and now my reward for engagement is that you can Pass your turn to try and regain an advantage that you lost through my better play? Not sure I like that.

It wouldn't "switch" to the other player. A pass mechanic just closes the difference between two players starting a game with a different number of activations.

I don't know if we could find a perfect fit for our game but it's an interesting idea worth exploring. It would be cool to end the disparity between activations in this game. At the very least I think an 16 activation cap would be helpful.

UrbanShmi
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2021 9:08:53 AM

Good talk, guys.

As far as a pass mechanic, Etienne and I actually tested it. I was playing a Sith rock squad with the new Bane (I know). I still loss, but with the passes, it was an actual game, instead of me just waiting for him to kill me.
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2021 10:09:34 AM

Caedus wrote:

With a continuous pass mechanic that's how it would work, but another option is a 1 time use mechanic. I will say that the point of any pass mechanic is to reduce or limit the out activate system. You are looking at it like out activating should be your reward for winning engagement.

Imo, winning and killing pieces should be your reward. Out activating shouldn't be in the equation. Also for most low act squads once you are engaged you will no longer wait to activate.

However the best option for a pass system may be to have a 1 time use mechanic. The player that is out activated would recieve a number of pass tokens they can use for 1 round. This would allow the out activated player to catch up without risking the game going from one extreme to another. Ie from high act to extreme low act.

Laura and I got a chance to playtest a 1 time use with her 9 act all melee Sith squad against my Daala and she was able to hold her own. It was a significantly harder game on Daala and it was actually fun for both of us. Not how games with Daala typically go. I think a 1 time use mechanic would makes it so squads that are at a activation disadvantage can keep up. Specifically ones with movement breakers and/or tanks.