RegisterDonateLogin

Smells marginally better than the inside of a tauntaun.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Cad Bane is lame. Options
adminsidious
Posted: Monday, October 5, 2009 5:35:26 AM
Groups: Member

Personally, I'm a big fan of anyone who blows up Seth Green (who played Cad's droid sidekick in this last episode.) I tend to think it's the opposite of Gemini1179's take for what that's worth as well. I don't take it as a "dumbing down" of the Jedi, I take it as a balancing of a whole galaxy in such a way that makes sense.

The Jedi have always been overconfident. The Obi-Wan/Skywalker training line pretty much shows this. "We're all super powerful, use it, we can't lose." And for some Jedi that's true, but for every Nomi Sunrider/Luke or Anakin Skywalker, or even Obi-Wan Kenobi, there's 10 more Zane Karryck's or Kazdan Paratus', Jedi who aren't that great.

The common man is able to do plenty in the Star Wars Galaxy. Maybe not against the top 2-3% of trained people in a galaxy(Han Solo, Mace Windu, Obi Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker all falling into that lump, when they faced bounty hunters), but against a guy with some powers, yes, knowledge, strategy and equipment can make up the gap, otherwise Han wouldn't have been nearly the bad*** that he was.

Personally, I always laugh when I see fan's going "This is how it should be" about a fantasy universe they have no control over.

"I'd like it better this way" sure, that makes sense "My opinion is better than the creator/artists" well, that's a diffrent kind of argument in my book.
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Posted: Monday, October 5, 2009 5:46:28 AM

billiv15 wrote:
I think you can already start to see some of Anakin's attachment to her. Which as several posters predicted in the very beginning would likely contribute to Anakin's fall. I expect we will see more of that this season, even if like the second show, it's just glimpses.

I got it! Padme gets jealous and kills Ahsoka. BigGrin I would love to see that. ThumbsUp Woot
Volvagia14
Posted: Monday, October 5, 2009 8:53:59 AM

Mitth'raw'nuruodo wrote:
billiv15 wrote:
I think you can already start to see some of Anakin's attachment to her. Which as several posters predicted in the very beginning would likely contribute to Anakin's fall. I expect we will see more of that this season, even if like the second show, it's just glimpses.

I got it! Padme gets jealous and kills Ahsoka. BigGrin I would love to see that. ThumbsUp Woot

I'm sorry, but no.
carnorjax1
Posted: Monday, October 5, 2009 11:25:27 AM

Ha! Padme would be real subtle about it too. She would just put ahsoka on a weeklong vacation with Jar Jar.
LoboStele
Posted: Tuesday, October 6, 2009 3:52:40 AM

Gemini1179 wrote:
Repost from another thread cause it belongs here too:

I'm not a Cad fan. The character has been given a big 'push', and in order to do so, Lucasfilm continues it's "dumming" down of the jedi. Let's face it, no Bounty Hunter, no matter what kind of gadgets he has should be able to defeat a Jedi in a one-on-one fight- that's why I LOVED when Mace made a punk out of Jango. That's pretty much how it should go EVERY TIME. However, Lucas couldn't sell nearly as much merchandise if he didn't appeal to the BH fan base.

I'm fully ok with Ashoka whooping Cad's butt, but then being foolish. That's what she is, a very deadly, young girl. I hardly think Cad's big plan was to hope she didn't cut him in half with her lightsaber, beat him up hand-to-hand, then get close enough for him to use his stun-gloves.... RollEyes ...he was just *hoping* to exploit a weakness, which he did.

Remember, you're talking about the difference between what we see in the films, and what we have in the expanded universe. In the EU, there's quite a few people who are able to stand 1 on 1 against a Jedi and at least hold their own for a short while. Boba Fett was claimed to be a hunter of Jedi long before the modern EU turned him into what he is today. The old Marvel comics started that trend.

It's not Lucas appealing to a BH fan-base. It's him creating a universe with realistic expectations. If the Jedi were so uber-powerful than no BH's could ever touch them, then we'd have really boring stories, and things would ALWAYS boil down to Jedi vs. Sith. You need the other things like BHs in there to provide some variety.

Plus, there's other examples in the movies as well. The clones kill tons of Jedi in Episode III. Battle Droids/Destroyer Droids kill Jedi in the Arena in Episode II. The Jedi are not all powerful. They're slightly more powerful, but that still leaves room for someone with a ton of training and practice, and perhaps a bit more intelligence/cunning to get the drop on them.
dalibins
Posted: Tuesday, October 6, 2009 4:40:47 AM

Volvagia14 wrote:
Mitth'raw'nuruodo wrote:
billiv15 wrote:

I'm sorry, but no.

Way to take that seriously Razz

My moneys' still on Cad being the one to off Ahsoka.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Tuesday, October 6, 2009 5:05:59 AM

my money is on them killing each other.
they fall down a pit when she slices one of his boot jets.
never to be heard of again........
Robin
Posted: Tuesday, October 6, 2009 10:38:23 AM

I think that Bane was a really cool character, and i don't see how he lost to Ahsoka?
I think it would be really cool if one of the mandalorians he teams up with is boba fett. And the two of them get in a big fight, and fett comes out killing bane.

However i would stop watching star wars the clone wars, if Ahsoka kills bane. I don't think that would happen though, i think its more believable that bane would end up killing her. In which case Anakin kills bane.
Raynn
Posted: Tuesday, October 6, 2009 11:03:46 AM

I think Cade Bane's MINI is a pretty good character, I would keep him or maybe buy him
Lobar Aybock
Posted: Wednesday, October 7, 2009 3:13:21 AM

What has sort of bugged me watching Cad Bane is that he isn't a bounty hunter, as far as I can tell. He hasn't taken any real bounties, he's just done missions for the Seps (none of which constitutes as bounty hunting). He's been a thief, an assassin, and a saboteur, but not a bounty hunter. As I remember it from the old RPG, don't you need to be licensed to be a bounty hunter? With all the stuff Cad Bane pulls on the Republic, he would've had his license revoked long ago. Haha. It makes me think his mini should be Separatist. I guess if he was billed as an ex-bounty hunter it wouldn't bother me so much. Fett is a bounty hunter - he's the guy that walks into the post office (or the Star Wars equivalent) and rips a poster off the wall, then goes out and gets the guy. Cad Bane would have bounties out on him.
adminsidious
Posted: Wednesday, October 7, 2009 4:01:18 AM

Lobar Aybock wrote:
What has sort of bugged me watching Cad Bane is that he isn't a bounty hunter, as far as I can tell. He hasn't taken any real bounties, he's just done missions for the Seps (none of which constitutes as bounty hunting). He's been a thief, an assassin, and a saboteur, but not a bounty hunter. As I remember it from the old RPG, don't you need to be licensed to be a bounty hunter? With all the stuff Cad Bane pulls on the Republic, he would've had his license revoked long ago. Haha. It makes me think his mini should be Separatist. I guess if he was billed as an ex-bounty hunter it wouldn't bother me so much. Fett is a bounty hunter - he's the guy that walks into the post office (or the Star Wars equivalent) and rips a poster off the wall, then goes out and gets the guy. Cad Bane would have bounties out on him.

At least in the RPG, the liscense to hunt bounty tends to be from system to system. Also, I think they're still setting him up, pretty soon he's going to get the contract on Obi-Wan and Anakin, then things get real fun.

His first appearance last season could be construed as a bounty, even if Ziro the hutt called it on himself(herself).
dalsiandon
Posted: Wednesday, October 7, 2009 1:29:57 PM

adminsidious wrote:
His first appearance last season could be construed as a bounty, even if Ziro the hutt called it on himself(herself).

Does that really count? Thats more like a search and rescue opp. IDK...
adminsidious
Posted: Wednesday, October 7, 2009 4:37:55 PM

dalsiandon wrote:
adminsidious wrote:

Does that really count? Thats more like a search and rescue opp. IDK...

"Could" is definetly applicable. :P
homer_sapien
Posted: Friday, October 9, 2009 5:58:56 AM

Just to be fair as far as whether a Bounty Hunter could go one on one vs a jedi look at Order 66. Just because the jedi weren't expecting anything Clone Troopers were able to take down most of them. A Bounty Hunter with enough training and a good plan should be able to take down a jedi.

To steal something from a series of books I read with Wizards in modern times. The hired gun in some of the books points out to the series main character that he could take him out at any time despite all his powers because no matter how stong he is with his magic he can't stop something if he doesn't know its coming. The something in the book example being a bullet fired from a sniper rifle a decent distance away from the target.
swmimperial130
Posted: Friday, October 9, 2009 6:03:23 AM

on wookieepedia, someone quoted Cad Bane saying "He was the best bounty hunter since Jango lost his head"
He is a Friggin Beast/Bad@$/whatever
Period.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Friday, October 9, 2009 6:07:06 AM

swmimperial130 wrote:
on wookieepedia, someone quoted Cad Bane saying "He was the best bounty hunter since Jango lost his head"
Period.

ill have to agree.
after Jango got Decapitated, and Durge got thrown into a star, he is the most bad A$$ BH, pre- Boba Fett.
just for what he did to that Rodian Jedi, (torturing him to DEATH, on purpose) proves to me that he has the Villianous Moxy to 86 a bunch of Jedi.
Lobar Aybock
Posted: Friday, October 9, 2009 6:18:46 AM

I think he's pretty cool, but I sort of question the whole definition of Bounty Hunter in the PT-era SW Universe. Since the OT there haven't been any Bounty Hunters who acted like Bounty Hunters. Boba Fett, Bossk, IG-88, Zuckuss, 4-LOM - those guys hunted down criminals for money. I haven't seen Jango, Durge, Cad or Zam Wessell do anything Bounty Hunter-like. They're more like mercs or hired guns. And Aurra Sing is something of an assassin.
Sithborg
Posted: Friday, October 9, 2009 6:31:39 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Mandalore Da Beast wrote:
swmimperial130 wrote:
Period.

ill have to agree.
after Jango got Decapitated, and Durge got thrown into a star, he is the most bad A$$ BH, pre- Boba Fett.
just for what he did to that Rodian Jedi, (torturing him to DEATH, on purpose) proves to me that he has the Villianous Moxy to 86 a bunch of Jedi.

Well, I doubt that the Skrilling Jedi went down nice and pain free as well.
billiv15
Posted: Friday, October 9, 2009 7:07:01 AM

Since when do roles have to remain consistent, especially during war time. I find it absolutely unrealistic that you all are having trouble understanding that a BH isn't necessarily going to look the same during war time as they do in times of peace. Many people who wouldn't normally will take up arms during a war, but especially those with the necessary skills already trained.

Many people in the US couldn't understand the concept of Women working in factories other than for sewing before WWI. However, that didn't stop it from happening in both WWs. Who do you think a BH would be working for in a time of war anyway? All they are is a "mercernary" to begin with. Them acting as one and taking advantage of what is likely a very lucrative time period working for the Seps, couldn't be a more obvious transition. Where else would they be getting their money collecting bounties? Who's spending money to hunt down criminals during a war? And in particular, considering the Jedi play a higher moral stance in this war, it makes total sense that the BHs in the universe would be utilized more by the Seperatists, who do not care so much for moral obligations. People who are trained and willing to do whatever necessary are their best asset.

And as for the concept that all BHs did in the OT was collect bounties, well I don't think that is supported by the EU material. All we see of them in the OT is two-fold. Hunting down Han for Jabba and later for the Imperials. But even in this extremely limited view, we still see a Boba Fett who seems to be in the employ of Jabba on a much wider role than simply bounty hunter. He "lives" at the Palace, and on the sail barge, fights for Jabba without any "offer" being on the table. Clearly he is being paid as more of a Bodygaurd/Security type of role, even in just looking at this very limited material. In the EU, BHs are almost always more like a Gun for hire type. Some like Boba might thoroughly enjoy the "hunt", but I would bet the motivation for most is in the money they are paid.
Uggie Demo
Posted: Friday, October 9, 2009 8:02:18 AM

Volvagia14 wrote:
Mitth'raw'nuruodo wrote:
billiv15 wrote:

I'm sorry, but no.

Here is what I think might happen:
1. Cad Bane kills her, then Anakin kills Cad Bane Crying
2. She gets killed by the Clones in the Season Finale(of the last season)
3. Or She sacrivices herself to save Anakin.