RegisterDonateLogin

Is your father.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

SWMGamers Presents: VassalCon 2021, an SWM Experience Options
UrbanShmi
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2021 3:51:16 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Well, we may not get to play minis at physical Gen Con this year, but that won't stop us from trying to organize some events. We will be hosting events on Vassal beginning on July 22, 2021 and ending July 25, 2021. All times are Gen Con Standard time (Eastern Time Zone). Times may be subject to change. To register for events, please contact UrbanJedi on Bloomilk or on SWMGamers. We will be attempting some prize support (and the prize support from last year WILL be forthcoming), details TBA.

Without further ado, here is the schedule of events:

Thursday
Jedi Challenge

10 AM 100-pt tournament
Details: WOTC-Only Dynamic Duo. Squads must contain exactly two pieces totaling UP TO 100 points. NO GOWK or FLObi, and Disintegration does not work.

UPDATE: This event will be played on tiles. No override closed. Bring your own tile.

2:30 PM 150-pt tournament
Details: Standard competitive format. All sets legal up to V-set 21. Current floor rules in effect.

UPDATE: Legal maps will be the current restricted list (Throne Room, Starport District, Starport Terminal, Cantina, Rhen Var Citadel, Bothan Spynet, Outlaw City, Ravaged Base)

7:30 PM 200-pt tournament
Details: Squads must be faction pure, with no Fringe pieces allowed. You may NOT play an all-Fringe squad. Affinity works normally. All other current floor rules in effect.

UPDATE: Legal maps will be Cloud City, off-World Shipping, Starport Terminal, Anchorhead, Rhen Var Citadel, Gangster's Vault, Great Library, Rebel Fortress (Modular Base)

All Jedi Challenge events will be three rounds. The overall winner will be the player with the most tournament points over all three events. Tiebreakers are: 1. most tournaments won, 2. head to head, 3. lowest combined placing totals, 4. best of three Vassal dice rolloff.

Friday

10 AM Tile Wars
Details: 200 point squads, 8th Cortex Shaper is banned, Three rounds of Swiss. All current floor rules in effect.

UPDATE: no override closed. Bring your own tiles.

2:30 PM 150-pt tournament
Details: WOTC-only, current tournament rules

UPDATE: Legal maps will be the current restricted list (see above)

7:30 PM Team Tournament
Details: Two player teams, 200 point squads. One player must play a Light-side squad (rebel, Republic, New Republic, Old Republic, All Fringe), and one must play a Dark-side squad (Sith, Imperial, Separatist, Mandalorian, Yuuzhan Vong). Each match-up will be light vs dark. All current floor rules apply.

UPDATE: Legal maps will be the current restricted list, plus Cloud City, off-World Shipping, Anchorhead, Gangster;s Vault, Great Library, Rebel Fortress. Only 1 copy of a Unique per team

Saturday

10AM Sealed Tournament
Details: Each player will receive the contents of two boosters from a WOTC set (Champions of the Force). Construct a squad at 125 points.

UPDATE: Legal maps will be Death Star, Commander's Office, Cloud City, Throne Room, Muunilinst Grand Plaza, Hall of Judgment (Jedi Temple)

4:00PM Championships
Details: The main event. We will play four rounds of Swiss, then cut to a top 4 if there are 12 or fewer players, a top 6 if there are 20 or fewer players, and a top 8 if there are more than 20 players. Standard format with all current V-sets, floor rules, and errata.

UPDATE: Map list will be current restricted list (see above)

Sunday

10 AM Sealed Tournament
Details: Each player will receive the contents of two boosters of In the Trenches, V-set 22. Build a squad to the specified point level (150 points). PLEASE NOTE: Urbanjedi and I are NOT available to run this event. We will require a volunteer to hand out the boosters (which we will construct in advance) and run the tournament software.

UPDATE: Legal maps will be the current restricted list (see above).

2:30 PM Royal Rumble

Details: Construct three two-character squads, each totaling up to 100 points. Players will be separated into groups of three, each of which will play on the Rattatak Arena map. Standard Royal Rumble rules. Winners of the first round matches will play in a final match to determine supremacy. PLEASE NOTE: As with the sealed, we will need someone to volunteer to run this event.

thereisnotry
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2021 5:06:10 PM
Groups: Member

Woohoo!! BM sent.

FIRST!!!
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2021 11:47:59 PM

UrbanShmi wrote:
Well, we may not get to play minis at physical Gen Con this year

Speak for yourself girl, I’ll be doing both! 😁
Darth_Jim
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2021 1:49:33 AM

Submitted.
Mando
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2021 3:51:26 AM

submitted! i'll be taking days off from work this year to attend more events. excited to finally get the chance to participate even more than last year!
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2021 6:16:19 AM

FYI, I will have all of the V-Set 22 (and subset) minis added to Vassal before GenCon starts. In fact, I hope that I'll be able to have it uploaded and ready before the July 11 Sunday Regional. There will be some minor ease-of-use updates as well, but those won't be especially important.

I'm actually working on a new dice-rolling mechanic too. Would it be cool to have an actual dice on the map, rather than simply clicking a button at the top of the screen? I'm experimenting right now and trying to see if there's a way to make it work well for our purposes. Stay tuned....

UrbanShmi
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2021 7:08:01 AM

Fantastic!
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2021 7:17:11 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
FYI, I will have all of the V-Set 22 (and subset) minis added to Vassal before GenCon starts. In fact, I hope that I'll be able to have it uploaded and ready before the July 11 Sunday Regional. There will be some minor ease-of-use updates as well, but those won't be especially important.

I'm actually working on a new dice-rolling mechanic too. Would it be cool to have an actual dice on the map, rather than simply clicking a button at the top of the screen? I'm experimenting right now and trying to see if there's a way to make it work well for our purposes. Stay tuned....

I'd prefer to have the dice off to the side.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Sunday, July 4, 2021 12:31:46 PM

Updates made to the first post. Map lists and additional event details.
gholli69
Posted: Sunday, July 4, 2021 5:48:42 PM

So does that mean set 22 is legal for Gencon, I didn't think it would be? Please let us know asap.
thereisnotry
Posted: Sunday, July 4, 2021 5:52:18 PM

gholli69 wrote:
So does that mean set 22 is legal for Gencon, I didn't think it would be? Please let us know asap.
No, V-Set 22 is NOT legal for GenCon. The reason I said that I'd have Set 22 ready is because it'll be needed for the V-Set 22 Sealed event...nothing else.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Sunday, July 4, 2021 7:21:55 PM

thereisnotry wrote:
gholli69 wrote:
No, V-Set 22 is NOT legal for GenCon. The reason I said that I'd have Set 22 ready is because it'll be needed for the V-Set 22 Sealed event...nothing else.

This is correct. We need 22 in VASSAL and on Bloomilk for the Sealed Event on Sunday, but that will be the first event for which the set is legal. Please note that for anyone going to physical Gen Con, different rules may apply there. This thread is only for the Virtual Events in a few weeks.
gholli69
Posted: Sunday, July 4, 2021 10:34:56 PM

That is what I thought. I just forgot about needing it for sealed.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, July 5, 2021 11:54:13 AM

Questions:

For the Team Tournament, will the typical rule of not being allowed to have the same Unique character in both squads in one team be instituted? (ie - both squads on one team cannot have Lobot {Even if one is 27pt Lobot and the other is 15pt CLObot})?

For the 100pt Jedi challenge - can override be used to lock a door? (I hope not. It is not legal in TILE WARS, and it makes for a drag in Dynamic Duos even on a regular map, it could make an auto loss on certain tiles).
-Also - will we bring our own tile? Will we be using the same legal tile list for TILE WARS? And the same procedure for setting them up? Or will they be preselected for us?
UrbanShmi
Posted: Monday, July 5, 2021 12:29:43 PM

Yes for the Team Tournament. Probably no to override closed, but I'll get back to you on that and the
Other questions.
urbanjedi
Posted: Monday, July 5, 2021 1:49:51 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Questions:

For the Team Tournament, will the typical rule of not being allowed to have the same Unique character in both squads in one team be instituted? (ie - both squads on one team cannot have Lobot {Even if one is 27pt Lobot and the other is 15pt CLObot})?

For the 100pt Jedi challenge - can override be used to lock a door? (I hope not. It is not legal in TILE WARS, and it makes for a drag in Dynamic Duos even on a regular map, it could make an auto loss on certain tiles).
-Also - will we bring our own tile? Will we be using the same legal tile list for TILE WARS? And the same procedure for setting them up? Or will they be preselected for us?

Yes.
1 copy of a unique per team. So 1 iteration of lobot (clobot etc) total per team. If one person is using boba fett, then the other person cannot have any boba fett.

And also yes for tiles.
No override closed.
And yes for bring your own tile. Any of the legal ones on vassal.

TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, July 6, 2021 6:51:44 AM

urbanjedi wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
Questions:

Yes.
1 copy of a unique per team. So 1 iteration of lobot (clobot etc) total per team. If one person is using boba fett, then the other person cannot have any boba fett.

And also yes for tiles.
No override closed.

Might want to put those rules into the first post
UrbanShmi
Posted: Tuesday, July 6, 2021 8:40:20 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
urbanjedi wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
Questions:

Yes.

And also yes for tiles.
No override closed.

Might want to put those rules into the first post

Done
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, July 6, 2021 11:13:48 AM

Thanks Laura!

Also - here's a link to TILE WARS rules. It has the legal list of tiles, so that's also relevant to the 100pt Jedi Challenge

https://www.swmgamers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=336&t=7032
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, July 8, 2021 9:01:11 PM

Remind me - does dynamic duos have to follow faction rules, or can they be 2 totally different factions?

It used to be that the build total must be EXACTLY 100 (not 100 or less). But we are doing UP TO 100?

1 activation at a time always? (If memory serves that is how we did it, unless a CE or SA allows you to break that)