RegisterDonateLogin

Has the droids you're looking for.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Music - What are you people listening to? Options
swinefeld
Posted: Friday, July 2, 2021 11:06:21 PM
Rank: Moderator
Groups: Member , Moderator

Joined: 1/30/2009
Posts: 6,424
Location: Southern Illinois
There used to be a thread here IIRC about music.
I'm always looking for cool stuff I haven't heard before, so I'm restarting it, realizing that the membership here is generally not a young crowd. Younger than me most likely. Wink

Anyway: RULES!!... NO HATE allowed towards anyone personally about what they like. Doesn't mean you can't talk about what you don't like about whatever song/band it is. Be respectful. BlooMilk

So I'll kick this off: I'm listening to Radio Birdman (AUS) currently, and was way into some Liquid Tension Experiment earlier this evening. Don't know who those bands are? I didn't either for a long time. That's exactly the point.

Share some stuff you like, current or not. Talk about it if you want, or not. Post links to songs if you want, or not.

"Tell me something good..."

https://youtu.be/yeL5YNzvWek

https://youtu.be/04W5CMZUHZs
AlexTheGreat
Posted: Saturday, July 3, 2021 3:43:08 AM
Rank: Advanced Bloo Milk Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 3/19/2017
Posts: 143
WOW! Really nice topic! Well since I'm a native greek I alway had a major problem music-wise cause in my country most people listen to what is called bouzoukia. Bouzoukia is a type of music influenced by eastern - mainly turkish- culture. I, on the other hand was raised in a family that was affected a lot by american culture since my dad's family are greek-americans. So my american uncles who lived during the 60s have actually passed me a lot from that era. Classic rock, blues, folklore and bluegrass, to name a few. I also remember that when I was in my early teens I love Bob Marley songs and reggae in general. Meanwhile, I was learning spanish at school, so in order to practice, I thought that it would be easier if I listened to spanish oriented music and I found my self loving cumbia and other latin genres. So any way, that's all and I'm sorry for this enormous text, but music is something that is literaly half my life!
DarthBainCapital
Posted: Saturday, July 3, 2021 11:45:50 AM
Rank: Advanced Bloo Milk Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 8/3/2020
Posts: 60
I've been listening to more Sibelius recently, I think his 2nd symphony is particularly good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFfbXvJXimg

and Pictures at an Exhibition is an old favorite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkC3chi_ysw
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, July 3, 2021 1:59:08 PM
Rank: Moderator
Groups: Member , Moderator

Joined: 5/26/2009
Posts: 8,204
swinefeld
Posted: Saturday, July 3, 2021 9:06:29 PM
Rank: Moderator
Groups: Member , Moderator

Joined: 1/30/2009
Posts: 6,424
Location: Southern Illinois
AlexTheGreat wrote:
WOW! Really nice topic! Well since I'm a native greek I alway had a major problem music-wise cause in my country most people listen to what is called bouzoukia. Bouzoukia is a type of music influenced by eastern - mainly turkish- culture. I, on the other hand was raised in a family that was affected a lot by american culture since my dad's family are greek-americans. So my american uncles who lived during the 60s have actually passed me a lot from that era. Classic rock, blues, folklore and bluegrass, to name a few. I also remember that when I was in my early teens I love Bob Marley songs and reggae in general. Meanwhile, I was learning spanish at school, so in order to practice, I thought that it would be easier if I listened to spanish oriented music and I found my self loving cumbia and other latin genres. So any way, that's all and I'm sorry for this enormous text, but music is something that is literaly half my life!


Alex, that is a really great story! Really. Thanks BlooMilk
swinefeld
Posted: Monday, July 5, 2021 4:18:13 PM
Rank: Moderator
Groups: Member , Moderator

Joined: 1/30/2009
Posts: 6,424
Location: Southern Illinois
DarthBainCapital wrote:
I've been listening to more Sibelius recently, I think his 2nd symphony is particularly good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFfbXvJXimg

and Pictures at an Exhibition is an old favorite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkC3chi_ysw


Nice! Agreed. Um, I have long since lost who it was, but heard a really great solo piano version of Pictures way back, and then there is a Japanese classical guitarist, Yamashita? that did a solo arrangement which seems like would not be possible at all.
swinefeld
Posted: Monday, July 5, 2021 4:27:34 PM
Rank: Moderator
Groups: Member , Moderator

Joined: 1/30/2009
Posts: 6,424
Location: Southern Illinois


I haven't made it down that list yet, but Avi was great. I listen to a lot of folksy/bluegrass shows on NPR (Woodsongs/Mountain Stage etc) and he fits right in. Great voice and player, and I enjoy songs with whistling, because I suck at it, but my maternal Grandfather was an amazing whistler. Smile
swinefeld
Posted: Monday, July 5, 2021 7:21:33 PM
Rank: Moderator
Groups: Member , Moderator

Joined: 1/30/2009
Posts: 6,424
Location: Southern Illinois
swinefeld wrote:
AlexTheGreat wrote:
WOW! Really nice topic! Well since I'm a native greek I alway had a major problem music-wise cause in my country most people listen to what is called bouzoukia. Bouzoukia is a type of music influenced by eastern - mainly turkish- culture. I, on the other hand was raised in a family that was affected a lot by american culture since my dad's family are greek-americans. So my american uncles who lived during the 60s have actually passed me a lot from that era. Classic rock, blues, folklore and bluegrass, to name a few. I also remember that when I was in my early teens I love Bob Marley songs and reggae in general. Meanwhile, I was learning spanish at school, so in order to practice, I thought that it would be easier if I listened to spanish oriented music and I found my self loving cumbia and other latin genres. So any way, that's all and I'm sorry for this enormous text, but music is something that is literaly half my life!


Alex, that is a really great story! Really. Thanks BlooMilk


Alex - To follow up, music has pretty much been in my entire life from childhood. 7th of 7 siblings. We always sang when I was young, (very young) and we still do whenever we can get together. I've been playing guitar from age 12, went to college to learn more, so I think I was flip-side learning the tonalities of Spain, Mediterranean countries and deeper into Middle-East/India. I love Django Reinhardt and "gypsy jazz". One thing I'm sure of - South America/Brazil is full of awesomeness. BlooMilk Smile BlooMilk
Randy
Posted: Tuesday, July 6, 2021 7:37:50 AM
Rank: Basilisk War Droid
Groups: Member

Joined: 2/20/2012
Posts: 51
DarthBainCapital
Posted: Thursday, July 8, 2021 7:44:07 PM
Rank: Advanced Bloo Milk Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 8/3/2020
Posts: 60
swinefeld wrote:
DarthBainCapital wrote:
I've been listening to more Sibelius recently, I think his 2nd symphony is particularly good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFfbXvJXimg

and Pictures at an Exhibition is an old favorite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkC3chi_ysw


Nice! Agreed. Um, I have long since lost who it was, but heard a really great solo piano version of Pictures way back, and then there is a Japanese classical guitarist, Yamashita? that did a solo arrangement which seems like would not be possible at all.


Wow Pictures on Guitar sounds very interesting (and difficult). I haven't listened much to the piano version even though that's how Mussorgsky originally wrote it. Ravel's version for orchestra is just so well-done.
swinefeld
Posted: Monday, July 19, 2021 9:35:56 PM
Rank: Moderator
Groups: Member , Moderator

Joined: 1/30/2009
Posts: 6,424
Location: Southern Illinois
DarthBainCapital wrote:
swinefeld wrote:
DarthBainCapital wrote:
I've been listening to more Sibelius recently, I think his 2nd symphony is particularly good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFfbXvJXimg

and Pictures at an Exhibition is an old favorite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkC3chi_ysw


Nice! Agreed. Um, I have long since lost who it was, but heard a really great solo piano version of Pictures way back, and then there is a Japanese classical guitarist, Yamashita? that did a solo arrangement which seems like would not be possible at all.


Wow Pictures on Guitar sounds very interesting (and difficult). I haven't listened much to the piano version even though that's how Mussorgsky originally wrote it. Ravel's version for orchestra is just so well-done.


Agreed!
swinefeld
Posted: Monday, July 19, 2021 9:41:36 PM
Rank: Moderator
Groups: Member , Moderator

Joined: 1/30/2009
Posts: 6,424
Location: Southern Illinois
Randy wrote:


Same as with TJ's list, haven't got through all of it yet, good stuff, and I do recognize Squirrel Nut Zippers ThumpUp
adamb0nd
Posted: Wednesday, August 25, 2021 10:49:57 AM
Rank: Moderator
Groups: Member , Moderator

Joined: 9/16/2008
Posts: 2,187
I'm late to the game, but these bands have been my main go-tos for the last few years. Explicit lyrics below.

IDLES:
Love these guys. Saw their Tiny Desk performance a few years back and I haven't the same since. Aggressive and noisy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjr11lGEBg4

Run the Jewels:
An awesome rap duo. Super talented team. I don't typically stray for from rock, but theyre sooo good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k7kk1lUnis

Miracle Legion/Polaris
one of my all time favorite bands. Learned of them from an old show called Pete and Pete, as a kid. They have several great albums.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=murt_Lfqcps

Moon Thief
My band, figure I would plug our EP. Noisy rock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5l-RvTfuyU
General_Grievous
Posted: Wednesday, August 25, 2021 11:58:08 AM
Rank: Advanced Bloo Milk Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 1/8/2010
Posts: 3,616
I enjoy pretty much all types of music, and since everyone likes the music they grew up with 90s hits are a particular enjoyment for me.

If I was to share one thing then I’ve been a fan of this internet station for the last few years:

https://blender.theblast.fm/home/

Christian EDM, Rock, hip hop and alternative music and it works with whatever I’m doing: studying, cruising around on the ambulance picking up patients, working out or gaming/painting miniatures. It’s just an uplifting but solid beat all of the time.


They also have a sister station The Blast FM which is Christian white metal and hard rock.


Cassus fett
Posted: Wednesday, August 25, 2021 12:30:39 PM
Rank: Advanced Bloo Milk Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 6/10/2010
Posts: 628
Location: The Shadowlands of Kashyyyk
Run the Jewels:
An awesome rap duo. Super talented team. I don't typically stray for from rock, but theyre sooo good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k7kk1lUnis

BlooMilk BlooMilk BlooMilk
bbben
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2021 7:21:27 PM
Rank: Ithorian Scout
Groups: Member

Joined: 8/26/2021
Posts: 6
Do you have any favorite white metal bands? I've listened to black metal before haha, but not as many of the religious bands.

General_Grievous wrote:


They also have a sister station The Blast FM which is Christian white metal and hard rock.

kezzamachine
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2021 8:39:32 PM
Rank: Moderator
Groups: Member , Moderator

Joined: 9/23/2008
Posts: 1,433
Location: Lower the Hutt, New Zealand
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2021 9:54:37 PM
Rank: Moderator
Groups: Member , Moderator

Joined: 5/26/2009
Posts: 8,204
bbben wrote:
Do you have any favorite white metal bands? I've listened to black metal before haha, but not as many of the religious bands.

General_Grievous wrote:


They also have a sister station The Blast FM which is Christian white metal and hard rock.



It's been a long, long time since I listened to any Christian metal, and I'm sure things have changed a lot since the 90s, but I found it hard or impossible to listen to half of them. Precious Death was the only one I liked enough to buy an album... a cassette that disappeared years ago.
kezzamachine
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2021 12:05:36 AM
Rank: Moderator
Groups: Member , Moderator

Joined: 9/23/2008
Posts: 1,433
Location: Lower the Hutt, New Zealand
I'm sometimes Christian Progressive Rock... I have 9 albums on Spotify - you should check it out!

...or here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qva6GrcLhw
bbben
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2021 9:29:28 AM
Rank: Ithorian Scout
Groups: Member

Joined: 8/26/2021
Posts: 6
I love your drummer haha! And the mini collection makes an appearance
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Bloo Milk Theme Created by shinja
Powered by Yet Another Forum.net.
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.