RegisterDonateLogin

Your father wanted you to have Bloo Milk when you were old enough.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Jabba wasn't nerfed? Options
spryguy1981
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2022 4:59:08 AM
Groups: Member

jen'ari wrote:
UrbanShmi wrote:
Three melee squads made the top 6 at Vassal Con. Against some serious tank busters.

And I fail to see how advancing one squad type opens up the meta significantly. People who want to play melee still only have a couple of squads to play, by your logic.

Incidentally, set 24 has some interesting tricks up its sleeve in this area. I'm currently working with a squad that has done VERY well against a variety of squad types.

Top 6.... People always talk about the top 6. But the difference in squad and ability and potential of the squads in top 6 was broken down to top 1. Once the tournament squads were announced we all knew who was winning.

Revanchist do not have a chance. Tier 1.5. Look great in Tier 1.5 pseudo competition tournaments.

If you get a squad that can beat Thrawn and Jabba (Bastila) then everything changes. It busts the meta.

Bastila still won't be effective against Jabba because the Jabba player can just bring in Sy Snootles who prevents Jabba's CE from being suppressed. Imperials have Pellaeon and while it's definitely trickier to pull that off, the counters are there. That being said I do love Bastila (actually played her in the tank tournament). I'm spitballing some ideas for the design team for 25 to see if anything shakes out. Right now I think she may actually shine brightest with Army of Light. I will definitely keep Malak in mind as Balance Committee considers changes to the next calendar year.
jen'ari
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2022 5:12:17 AM

spryguy1981 wrote:
jen'ari wrote:
UrbanShmi wrote:
Three melee squads made the top 6 at Vassal Con. Against some serious tank busters.

And I fail to see how advancing one squad type opens up the meta significantly. People who want to play melee still only have a couple of squads to play, by your logic.

Incidentally, set 24 has some interesting tricks up its sleeve in this area. I'm currently working with a squad that has done VERY well against a variety of squad types.

Top 6.... People always talk about the top 6. But the difference in squad and ability and potential of the squads in top 6 was broken down to top 1. Once the tournament squads were announced we all knew who was winning.

Revanchist do not have a chance. Tier 1.5. Look great in Tier 1.5 pseudo competition tournaments.

If you get a squad that can beat Thrawn and Jabba (Bastila) then everything changes. It busts the meta.

Bastila still won't be effective against Jabba because the Jabba player can just bring in Sy Snootles who prevents Jabba's CE from being suppressed. Imperials have Pellaeon and while it's definitely trickier to pull that off, the counters are there. That being said I do love Bastila (actually played her in the tank tournament). I'm spitballing some ideas for the design team for 25 to see if anything shakes out. Right now I think she may actually shine brightest with Army of Light. I will definitely keep Malak in mind as Balance Committee considers changes to the next calendar year.

No. Bastila forces you to use 17 points on a non attacker.
Dramatically lessens potential bib poppers and activations. It should be enough.
thereisnotry
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2022 8:42:06 AM

jen'ari wrote:
Tarre is the sole reason why melee is unplayable. He surpasses all other melee at the same time is their best counter. Melee is too weak and too ce dependent to withstand him.
Okay, I see what you mean. I agree that he is better than just about any other melee piece for his points...the combo of Parry with Beskar 6 means that he is very hard for melee pieces to take down. In the Team Tournament I played against a Farfalla Revanchist JM swarm (30dmg hits) and he only ever took 20dmg per hit, even after he failed a parry; he survived until the end of the match and did a pile of damage while preventing Vindicated and Kelborn and Mira from being overwhelmed. That, combined (at least when I use him) with Disruptive is very solid. I think his damage output (standing still) is probably on par for a 56pt melee piece.

The thing with Tarre, though, is that he requires a certain meta in order to shine. He would've done some serious work at GenCon this year, but wouldn't have done much better than my Vong did at VassalCon.

[[Speaking of my Vong squad, FWIW, I think I had at least a chance vs Jason's Gungan squad (save 7s vs Cestas and then VCA 2 or 7 after that goes a long way), and was probably evenly matched vs Spry's and Randy's Revanchist JMs. The only squad I absolutely couldn't ever beat was Tim's Silri-cannon (which of course I was paired against in the first round of the playoffs). I would've likely had a very difficult time vs Gandalf's Morrigan (negating my Evade 7s).]]

I think the bigger thing that makes melee pieces unplayable, though (apart from Tarre) is both that (1) melee pieces die on the approach (Morrigan ignores damage prevention, or else pieces are doing 50dmg hits which will eventually get through no matter what you do...more on this next week) and (2) melee pieces don't usually have enough ability to close the gap. Morrigan has Charging Fire but almost no melee pieces do, Bib's CE pushes shooters 12+ spaces per round, Jabba has Levitation without needing to spend a FP, etc.
thereisnotry
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2022 8:42:56 AM

Personally, I was really saddened by the meta that emerged at the VassalCon championships. What we saw at GenCon was mostly mid-range activations where just about any squad seemed to have a decent chance to do well...there was none of this 16+ activation stuff. And a Sith melee squad won GenCon, which is so cool! It seems that this has been the meta that has shown up for the most part for the past 2 years or so, more or less. During those 2 years I think it was safe to say that the competitive meta was about as wide open as it's ever been.

But now at VassalCon we had a number of high-activation, big-movement, high-damage-output squads. I don't think we've seen a meta like that for a long, long time.
jen'ari
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2022 9:28:19 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
Personally, I was really saddened by the meta that emerged at the VassalCon championships. What we saw at GenCon was mostly mid-range activations where just about any squad seemed to have a decent chance to do well...there was none of this 16+ activation stuff. And a Sith melee squad won GenCon, which is so cool! It seems that this has been the meta that has shown up for the most part for the past 2 years or so, more or less. During those 2 years I think it was safe to say that the competitive meta was about as wide open as it's ever been.

But now at VassalCon we had a number of high-activation, big-movement, high-damage-output squads. I don't think we've seen a meta like that for a long, long time.

The meta is the meta. Regardless of what people bring there is always the top squads. Regardless of anything else. I think what you are saying is that it is hard to make a call on what will show up. That is because people do whatever they want. This Vassalcon is not the meta at all. It is just what people showed up with. Trying to read what will appear is impossible in today's game because people are not die hard about winning.

Most people would rather have a good time the try to win. I talked to Deaths_Baine about what he would bring and he said: whatever was fun. Legit his answer. There is no driving force anymore, which can be fine, but I feel like there needs to be a shift in how people talk about tournaments and things if competition is going to be brought out. It is frustrating to not have a true meta being played because then you can't find that "odd" squad that breaks it, which is always a ton of fun.
But there is a true meta right now and it starts and ends with Thrawn, Jabba, Tarre imo.
jen'ari
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2022 9:32:27 AM

thereisnotry wrote:

I think the bigger thing that makes melee pieces unplayable, though (apart from Tarre) is both that (1) melee pieces die on the approach (Morrigan ignores damage prevention, or else pieces are doing 50dmg hits which will eventually get through no matter what you do...more on this next week) and (2) melee pieces don't usually have enough ability to close the gap. Morrigan has Charging Fire but almost no melee pieces do, Bib's CE pushes shooters 12+ spaces per round, Jabba has Levitation without needing to spend a FP, etc.

Absolutely. I agree with the above 100% and still ask: What is the design team doing to help factions that should be melee heavy? Why is it that the best melee piece is in the Mandalorian faction? Why isn't there a playable Luke? It is an outrage that the problem hasn't been addressed by the design team.
DarthMaim
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2022 3:13:08 PM

jen'ari wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:

Absolutely. I agree with the above 100% and still ask: What is the design team doing to help factions that should be melee heavy? Why is it that the best melee piece is in the Mandalorian faction? Why isn't there a playable Luke? It is an outrage that the problem hasn't been addressed by the design team.

+1.
Udorian84
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2022 11:05:49 PM

The force is the ultimate power inn the "verse" it is just that I this game force powers never kept up with the special abilities. An example is master speed. I have to use a force power to go 12 squares and attack when someone else gets to do it for free. Or Sith Rage. A force point for what others get free (opportunist, deceptive, etc) and often times comes with an attack boost. Force users need some kind of advantage.
Most things the force can do pieces can do. Oh look chain lightning = whistling birds
Force lightning 2 = flamethrower
Force leap = acrobatics
Even lightsaber styles! Soresu = evade? You mean to tell me Han Solo evades blaster fire as well Obi-Wan?
Instead of giving GMA we give lightsaber assault. Instead of giving charging we give force dash.
Force powers need to be better and more unique. Jedi need more bonuses to saves too. They should (legendary actions) the ability to do things on others turn. "Battle Awareness: once per round, when targeted, this character can immediately use a force power that replaces attacks.
Jedi are legendary. Just like legendary creatures in 5e D&D give them legendary actions. Or, Battlemind: while this character has 4 or more force points it gains Extra attack and Speed 10. Then give it Charging Assault and Acrobatics. Those are some of the ideas I tossed around with deaths_baine last time I saw him. Melee is fun. Shooters are fun. Both should be options.
DarthMaim
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2022 12:14:26 AM

Udorian84 wrote:
The force is the ultimate power inn the "verse" it is just that I this game force powers never kept up with the special abilities. An example is master speed. I have to use a force power to go 12 squares and attack when someone else gets to do it for free. Or Sith Rage. A force point for what others get free (opportunist, deceptive, etc) and often times comes with an attack boost. Force users need some kind of advantage.
Most things the force can do pieces can do. Oh look chain lightning = whistling birds
Force leap = acrobatics
Even lightsaber styles! Soresu = evade? You mean to tell me Han Solo evades blaster fire as well Obi-Wan?
Instead of giving GMA we give lightsaber assault. Instead of giving charging we give force dash.
Force powers need to be better and more unique. Jedi need more bonuses to saves too. They should (legendary actions) the ability to do things on others turn. "Battle Awareness: once per round, when targeted, this character can immediately use a force power that replaces attacks.
Jedi are legendary. Just like legendary creatures in 5e D&D give them legendary actions. Or, Battlemind: while this character has 4 or more force points it gains Extra attack and Speed 10. Then give it Charging Assault and Acrobatics. Those are some of the ideas I tossed around with deaths_baine last time I saw him. Melee is fun. Shooters are fun. Both should be options.

Big + 1!

Most of my friends play SW Legion now. You can't shoot all the way across the map in Legion. Jedi and Sith are very powerful in Legion, as they should be. They have much more survivability in Legion, because of the measuring of distance, to determine if they can be blasted or not. And when they get into melee combat, they annihilate shooters, as they should. Is Legion perfect? Well no it isn't, however, they got a lot of things right, that SWM got wrong. ThumpUp
DarthMaim
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2022 9:14:32 AM

DarthMaim wrote:
Udorian84 wrote:
Force leap = acrobatics

Big + 1!

Most of my friends play SW Legion now. You can't shoot all the way across the map in Legion. Jedi and Sith are very powerful in Legion, as they should be. They have much more survivability in Legion, because of the measuring of distance, to determine if they can be blasted or not. And when they get into melee combat, they annihilate shooters, as they should. Is Legion perfect? Well no it isn't, however, they got a lot of things right, that SWM got wrong. ThumpUp

Oh and how could I forget. In Legion when based in melee combat, the shooters are way less powerful, as they should be. Much more realistic and balanced. I am not saying that SWM should be totally overhauled, I'm just agreeing with Udorian84 that Jedi and Sith melee characters ( especially unique) should be given a lot of help/improvements/buffs etc. Perhaps a ruling that applies to all unique Jedi and Sith melee Force/lightsaber users. As it is, currently Vong hoses Force users. Melee Force users have too much going against them, especially in certain factions.
Caedus
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2022 10:19:07 AM

DarthMaim wrote:

Oh and how could I forget. In Legion when based in melee combat, the shooters are way less powerful, as they should be. Much more realistic and balanced. I am not saying that SWM should be totally overhauled, I'm just agreeing with Udorian84 that Jedi and Sith melee characters ( especially unique) should be given a lot of help/improvements/buffs etc. Perhaps a ruling that applies to all unique Jedi and Sith melee Force/lightsaber users. As it is, currently Vong hoses Force users. Melee Force users have too much going against them, especially in certain factions.

Melee Force users have too much going against them. Sorry, but your sentence should have stopped right there. Fixed it for you.
DarkDracul
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2022 3:52:08 PM

DarthMaim wrote:
So that DarkDracul won't be mad at me, I will move this post/discussion to as he says, "a related thread".

jen'ari wrote:
DarkDracul wrote:
The concern is noted but this is not the correct thread for (2023). That thread will go up next week.

Also, from the original post . . .
Quote:
This thread is not for discussion or debate over these topics or the Balance Committee itself.
If you are wanting to have a conversation go to a related thread or create a new one.

Let's allow some time to celebrate our new World Champ and give them the proper honors.

Gandalfthegreatestwizard will join us on Sith HoloNews Network podcast this Thursday 10pm EST.

I would think you all would just like it that people are responding and showing they care.

Thanks Jen!

I don't feel that this is disrespecting Gandalf at all. He played a great game and deserves this years championship. He is one of the top players in the world, playing the best team combo of "Jabba and Bib", there currently is, and he is the top dog of 2022. I congratulated him in the Vassal Con post, not expressing my feelings about Jabba there. So I express my opinion here and you want to silence me because you want to "allow some time to celebrate our new world champ"? I respectfully disagree with you and I don't feel that this in any way takes away the glory of Gandalf's Vassal Con win. Please don't try and control how someone feels compelled to express on a forum for a "game" that we all are playing and have been playing for over a decade. This is a community and as long as we are civil and discussing matters in a congenial matter, please don't be over controlling in your use of power of when we can discuss things. Thank you ThumpUp

@DarthMaim
I'm trying to keep track of Balance Committee requests. If a request doesn’t make the list it doesn’t get discussed.

You posted in a dead thread from last year and I could miss posts in last year's thread to repost in this year's thread.
It's also difficult to keep track of requests when a discussion, debate, or flamewar is started in the threads I’m trying to collect them. So I asked everyone in the OP to take it to a different thread. So, no one’s request would get lost in a shitstorm.

I do think it's rude to criticize a champion’s squad days after their victory.
We’ve had players quit the game because of these boards becoming super toxic as soon as they won.
However, those are just my feelings . . . you are free to do you.

It wasn't a surprise to see Gandalf win the World Championship with a squad he's perfected.
He had mostly favorable matchups and won map roll nearly every time.
Then he expertly outplayed Tim in a match that anyone else most certainly would have lost. It was insane!

Tim’s squad was stronger and better than most the field. It beats a Jabba squad 90% of the time. Tim just had terrible luck and got outplayed. Perhaps a minor adjustment could be made to Jabba . . . but Jabba is not that big of a problem.
Jabba is about as powerful as Thrawn swap . . . I doubt anything is done about Thrawn.
Darth_Jim
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2022 5:24:27 PM

jen'ari wrote:
I talked to Deaths_Baine about what he would bring and he said: whatever was fun. Legit his answer.

I totally agree. Further, what is making the game not fun for me are squads with the main damage dealers being non unique faceless characters that may have been merely footnotes in novels or background characters at best in movies. SWM is the most fun when the core characters of the Star Wars universe are the ones shaping the meta. While I hated the mechanic of Gandalf's Jabba squad much like many hate the Thrawn swap mechanic, at least those are familiar Star Wars characters. Sorry, but being ripped apart by some cloaked faceless nightbrother when its not even his turn, or having some no name Vong easily evade my shots then reduce the damage when I get extremely lucky, or having my beloved Luke Skywalker swashbuckled by outcasts of a Pirates of the Caribbean movie are just not fun for me. Some of those designs are just brilliant, but they're on the wrong characters.

Maybe we need Jabba adjusted somehow... maybe. But when Gandalf ran roughshod over my squad the characters that did it I recognized. I don't like losing but I can lose to characters I read about and watch... identifiable by the most casual of fans. I don't really have a problem if Jabba wasn't adjusted enough as long as the process continues. I trust the balance committee to fine tune things.

What I would ask is that our designers... keep it up with the brilliant designs but please apply them to the characters in the universe we know well.
jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2022 5:00:17 AM

DarkDracul wrote:

@DarthMaim
I'm trying to keep track of Balance Committee requests. If a request doesn’t make the list it doesn’t get discussed.

You posted in a dead thread from last year and I could miss posts in last year's thread to repost in this year's thread.
It's also difficult to keep track of requests when a discussion, debate, or flamewar is started in the threads I’m trying to collect them. So I asked everyone in the OP to take it to a different thread. So, no one’s request would get lost in a shitstorm.

We’ve had players quit the game because of these boards becoming super toxic as soon as they won.

Hey! Keep it on topic! Or go to a different thread. We don't want that toxicity in MY thread.

Just tongue in cheek. If people get upset because others discuss their squad and complain about it or whatever that means they really need some behavior therapy tbh.
adamb0nd
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2022 7:30:27 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

The immediate solution to bullying and aggression isn't therapy, that comes later. Bloo has lost great community members due to toxic community. It's the #1 thing i have to monitor for as a mod, and I'm sure you're well aware of the number spam bots we get here. Focus on how we can improve the game and our community. Everyone here wants whats best for SWM, and that can be done without tearing down other.
jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2022 8:52:15 AM

adamb0nd wrote:
The immediate solution to bullying and aggression isn't therapy, that comes later.

Talking about a squad is not bullying or aggressive.
Cassus fett
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2022 11:50:27 AM

Guess it’s that time of year again huh? Where the 15 people still playing this game gather in a thread and fight with each other about something stupid that should be an easy fix. Can’t wait for the balance committee decision next year that will fix nothing discussed here. God I love this time of year!
jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2022 1:11:10 PM

Cassus fett wrote:
Guess it’s that time of year again huh? Where the 15 people still playing this game gather in a thread and fight with each other about something stupid that should be an easy fix. Can’t wait for the balance committee decision next year that will fix nothing discussed here. God I love this time of year!

The typical response. You guys (bloomilkers) really are so inept to deal with the smallest amount of disapproval.
Just let it happen. Allow people to show there opinion and not judge them for sharing. No one has been rude. You are going to be ok. I promise.
Cassus fett
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2022 2:16:49 PM

jen'ari wrote:
Cassus fett wrote:

The typical response. You guys (bloomilkers) really are so inept to deal with the smallest amount of disapproval.
Just let it happen. Allow people to show there opinion and not judge them for sharing. No one has been rude. You are going to be ok. I promise.

Bruh, I’m on your side on this issue. I know we’ve had our issues with each other in the past, but lately you’ve been saying things that I also feel are spot on.

Also doesn’t change the fact some argument starts about this time every year.
DarthMaim
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2022 10:29:14 PM

DarkDracul wrote:
@DarthMaim

It wasn't a surprise to see Gandalf win the World Championship with a squad he's perfected.
He had mostly favorable matchups and won map roll nearly every time.
Then he expertly outplayed Tim in a match that anyone else most certainly would have lost. It was insane!

Tim’s squad was stronger and better than most the field. It beats a Jabba squad 90% of the time. Tim just had terrible luck and got outplayed. Perhaps a minor adjustment could be made to Jabba . . . but Jabba is not that big of a problem.
Jabba is about as powerful as Thrawn swap . . . I doubt anything is done about Thrawn.

Let's agree to disagree sir. And by the way, I feel that expressing my feelings about an overpowered Jabba ( I am not alone on this one ), is not criticizing Gandalf's squad. You coming at me in this manner, I feel is what could potentially cause players to quit the game on this board. How is expressing how I feel about Jabba and Bib toxic?????????? Come on man ThumbDown