RegisterDonateLogin

Affinity: Your squad may contain Bloo Milk, regardless of faction.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

The Mouse Droid Madness is No More! Options
swinefeld
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 4:32:21 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Boba52 wrote:
I have to say this is a great thing. I mean Wizards to care enough to make this change with the new guys at the helm is a great sign of things to come. And the fact that they redid the rules insert and everything and didn't go the we'll just have Nickname write something up is awesome. How can you not be exciting about Peter's involvement in this? Good job.

Great point! This could have came out weeks from now, but they got it done within 2 days of the release. Much better than in the past.

Sithborg wrote:
This is a GOOD change. Balance is always best.

Indeed. This was going to be a mess if left alone...

Onward...

Since mice and trash cans can't benefit, I hereby declare the Security Battle Droid to be the best cheap droid to pump up with a BDS. Easy to give him +15/twin for 30 with cunning, and he can move same turn. Not too shabby.
NickName
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 4:51:45 AM
Groups: Member

Mandalore Da Beast wrote:

a mouse/Roger Roger connection gets banned because of THE POPULAR VOTE!!!!

It was changed before the BD Sarge was previewed and before the incorrect/old version of the Insert/Checklist was posted on the WotC site Product page. The goal was to have it replaced on release day, and when that didn't happen for whatever internal reason at WotC Peter apparently took it upon himself to make it public so people would have the correct info.

It had absolutely zero to do with public opinion as no one in the public knew about it when the decision was made that the ability was not clearly written.
billiv15
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 4:52:39 AM

Boba52 wrote:
I have to say this is a great thing. I mean Wizards to care enough to make this change with the new guys at the helm is a great sign of things to come. And the fact that they redid the rules insert and everything and didn't go the we'll just have Nickname write something up is awesome. How can you not be exciting about Peter's involvement in this? Good job.

Yep, this is the main point I wanted to add. I think this has been over looked so far, but when taken together with his responsiveness on the GOWK issue, I cannot be happier for the direction of the game. We've never had something like the Rules insert changed 2 days out from release before (it takes weeks of approvals to get to this point). Clearly he was on top of it at a minimum of a month ago, and to me, that is by far the most important learning from this event.
dalsiandon
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 5:18:42 AM

I really see it as a non-issue. Before Roger-Roger your mouse was jsut a meat sheild, and a tool to relay orders and open doors. Guess what, it still is. It's original role has not changed.

Hum, let me think here, was a change really all that bad, for a mouse droid, it'd have a 28 Defense in cover, can then do a twin double attack with a +12 attack score, and all for 2 points. Hum? Okay sure a crit is still only 10 damage, and you have to spend soem points to get there, let's do the math, Gha is 12 points, A Commando Droid Cap'n is 23 (with Gha), The BDS is 15 (with Gha) DAC is 57, oh and 8 points (with gha) for the vital BDO, That is 115 points, you can spare another 18 for the SBDC and careful shot and 15 for another BDS if you'd like in a 200 point game and have 52 points to play with for the mice and other fodder droids, including the R7, shoot and lock. Nasty.

At 150, a few minor losses, the SBDC, so no careful shot, so only a +8, but you can still include a second BDS, add 2 uggie demos, that's 136, and then go all MD from there. Still a substantial force.

I for one, have no problem wiht this adjustment. It came right at the begining before people got into a grove with the ability, (ala Thud Bug and droids coming 2 years later)
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 5:20:33 AM

i hadnt updated my trade thread for some time.
my friends that live here traded me all of theyre mousies, giving me a total of 13, as of last nite, i have traded almost half of them off.
to me, its not the value, so i dont want someone to think that thats what im about.
im just saying that i traded very well for the mousies that i have, and invested alot of time building a "Mouse Apocalypse" squad.
im talking alot of time.
as far as the money goes, i know that mousies wont drop in value, because they were valuable before Roger Roger, and will continue to hold their value. i dont doubt that.
I apologize for my rant last night, i really do.
yesterday in general was a very bad day for me, and when i stumbled upon the errata in the Wiz forums, i could no longer contain myself.
its unfortunate that i felt it necessary to carry myself in the demeanor that i did, so seriously, Im sorry.
I will have to deal with mousies that heal and use grenades, it will be weirder then shooting mice, but atleast they can still do damage i suppose.
yes, i am old enough to drink, and the combo of anger, alcohol and non-attacking mousies is a bad mix, LOL .
my frustration comes from this game making changes. yes, games change, but ive seen when change happens when it doesnt need any, and ultimately sink a game.
its like the old saying goes 'If it aint broke, dont fix it."
I love this game, its better then my Gears of War 2, my SW battlefront 2 etc. my point is that game is more involving then any video game that is out there. it takes effort to get a good team together through trial and error, and learning from it.
you cant get that out of video games.
i dont want to see this game fall like so many other great ones that have come and gone.
Mickey
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 5:40:53 AM

I'm actually happy that changes are happening fast. I'm hoping that several other corrections come out that are long over due. In fact, I would like to see them go one step further and eliminate all figs able to do damage that have a 0 listed. I'd like to see emplacements not be able to evade. I'd like more changes that make things more realistic and take away from powergaming.
Moff Ivlis
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 5:50:14 AM

While I fully realize that people have made investments in mouse droids in anticipation of some crazy Roger Roger action, I have difficulty seeing this change as anything but a sign of health for the game as a whole.

A little background; before starting Star Wars minis, I was an enthusiast of Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000, games put out by Games Workshop. You want a company that doesn't care about balance, look at GW (their designers have publicly stated that they have no interest in developing balanced rules for their game).

Looking back at that, I have to give credit to Wizards for being so on the ball here. I mean, let's put this into perspective; there haven't been tourneys where mouse droids have dominated, and there hasn't been an impact on the world-wide metagame.

WotC errata'd the offending rule on or about the day the set came out, that's pretty much as good as you could possibly ask for except for doing public betas of the sets (which is not something I think appropriate here).

As an aside, the notion that WotC must wait for popular outcry before changing rules is poorly thought out; if they wait, they only increase the number of people who have invested in exploiting the rule they are about to change, and increases the number of people angry at the first group for exploiting in the first place.

Bottom line: Quick action on errata is good for the health of a game, and we should be thanking WotC for their actions here.
Sinister
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 6:19:58 AM

There is only one thing i do not get. How could this even happen. If this change was indeed made before stuff got previewed how could this happen.
It is not just a wrong single diget number. There is a full sentence missing. And it was an important one.

This was very sloppy and is not a good sign in my book.
billiv15
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 6:56:07 AM

Sinister wrote:
There is only one thing i do not get. How could this even happen. If this change was indeed made before stuff got previewed how could this happen.
It is not just a wrong single diget number. There is a full sentence missing. And it was an important one.

This was very sloppy and is not a good sign in my book.

Errata always happen. That's a reality of any game, be it collectible or not. This game has relatively little in comparison. Further, I think you rightly bring up that this was more complicated than a normal number change, word missing, etc. That's what actually makes it even more promising, not less, that Peter was able to act on it as soon as he did.

History lesson - in the past, it took weeks for this type of stuff to be dealt with, and in most cases, once released, Rob just didn't act at all. They usually left it as is, whether it was ridiculous or not. If you are familiar at all with what WotC has to go through in the LFL approval process, you are aware that this takes weeks or months.

To give an approximate time table, Peter must have decided on the change a month ago. Which means there were at least a couple of weeks of prep before that. Then he has to get WotC people on board, get it written up, make any play testing and so forth happen, and so on, then submit the final wording to LFL. A simple approval takes weeks. I really can't see how this could have been done in a matter of days, and even if I am wrong on that, it would still say a great deal about Peter in that he would have been able to pull something like this off in a shorter than normal amount of time.

Finally, understand this. Peter Lee did not work on this set. This was Rob's doing, and he left the company last April. Peter is fixing something that in the past, likely would never have been touched, and did so in a time frame that we have not seen with this game ever before. That has to be seen as a positive.
juice man
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 7:49:05 AM

Well, so much for hitting DarthJak with a triple-twin, 12 attack, 10 damage, 18 mouse droid army. Just have to settle for beefing up all the other droids.
It is a good change and much faster than normal.
Mandalore-- sorry to hear you got rid of some of your mice, you can really drive people crazy with those things getting underfoot.
Topher_Champion_Of_The_Force
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 7:56:45 AM

FRIKKIN AWESOME!!! i know it's against the e-law to type in all caps,
but i gotta do this. THANK YOU WIZARD OF THE COAST!!!!! I THINK WE
CAN ALL SEE THAT DESPITE RECENT DOUBTS, THERE ARE STILL INTELLI-
GENT PEOPLE RUNNING THIS GAME. AND THOUGH I STILL HAVE TO MAKE
SQUADS THAT CAN SOMEHOW HANDLE BOTH GRANDMASTER LUKE AND
STILL CRAZY DROIDS IN A TOURNY, WIZARDS MADE MY LIFE A LITTLE
EASIER.

ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp
Woot Woot Woot Woot Woot Woot Woot Woot
ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp
Yames2.0
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 8:01:30 AM

i do have to say at least it was a fast change the speed of the change is the only reason i think i approve of it
Mickey
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 10:26:13 AM

I think something else needs to be mentioned. This set was finalized long ago. It went through planning to production. Production doesn't happen over night. This set was probably finished before the last set was out on the market. That means there is little time to see how sets interact once they go to product. I doubt these sets get alot of playtesting which means unfortunately we find alot of the flaws.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 3:07:44 PM

i figure if i stay with atleast 4 mouse droids, my Seps are still straight.
they get their def of 28 in cover with GGDAC, which i will use for legal targets at 2 points apiece.
i havent been able to factor in a rodian trader, but maybe they dont need grenades or healing abilities.
i dunno, im still working on it.
Weeks
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 5:10:54 PM

well i say its a great thing to not deal with a mouse army. I was never really worried about mouse droid teams i always try to have at least one person on most of my touney team who is either super fast or has accurite shot, so my first target anyway is the 20 hp guy that makes all of your damage go up, he dies then there are a lot of mouse droids just sitting there staring at me.

looks like i jumped in at the end of this one so i missed all the bloodshed lol :(
dalsiandon
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 8:09:42 AM

Mickey wrote:
I'm actually happy that changes are happening fast. I'm hoping that several other corrections come out that are long over due. In fact, I would like to see them go one step further and eliminate all figs able to do damage that have a 0 listed. I'd like to see emplacements not be able to evade. I'd like more changes that make things more realistic and take away from powergaming.

1 Question, what is it about evade on emplaced figures that bothers you? Is it because the name "Evade," referes to a leap out of the way? Lets consider the intent, with an in universe example.

I for one push aside the name and see the intent. Palp on Throne, Emp of the Galaxy, has a sweet chair, sometimes an assasin comes after him, some ow makes it into the inner chamber, his chair is designed to protect him. Palp them blasts'um with lighting. And then has pudding.

Or consider the golan, it has some kind of shielding around it that absorbs damage.

I also think it's easier to have a single ability with a single name then it does have one ability with multipule names.
So in these two cases the ability "evade" simply is a standing in name for whatever it is that actually allows them to avoid damage without over complicating the game.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 8:36:39 AM

if thats the Case, then Golans should have shields 2. not evade. its bad enough they have damage reduction.
unfortunately, we have to take the Named abilities for what they are worth.
take Jareal, she has evade and Parry.
Jedi general Obi still has Soresu style Mastery.
what are the differences with these abilities? not much.
well, Obi negates an attack, whether its adjacent or not, where as Jareal only does it under certain conditions.
technically, Golans cant "evade", they can however turn theyre guns in a 360 degree radius.
Evade means to get out of the way.
a Golan cant do that, because it is emplaced. (but it can because Rieekan and Wizards said it was ok.)Cursing
palps chair?
its a swivel chair, therefore, his card should say "Swivel"- when this character is attacked by a non adjacent enemy, on a save of 11, this character takes no damage because he has decided to "turn" his chair around and completely ignore you."
DarthJak
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 3:57:39 PM

Weeks wrote:
well i say its a great thing to not deal with a mouse army. I was never really worried about mouse droid teams i always try to have at least one person on most of my touney team who is either super fast or has accurite shot, so my first target anyway is the 20 hp guy that makes all of your damage go up, he dies then there are a lot of mouse droids just sitting there staring at me.

looks like i jumped in at the end of this one so i missed all the bloodshed lol :(

that trick only works if you have LOS to the droid commanders
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 9:18:34 PM

and in my apocalyptic mouse droid army, my commanders didnt even have to move from the starting area. GGDAC would have come out to clean up the jedi remains.
Sinister
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 10:11:21 PM

Let me say that i do not mind the change overall. It was just such a fun idea.

But i think it would have been better if WotC had stepped forward the second (week) the Roger Roger SA was spoiled. If intended by WotC or not. They should have said that they might change the SA to what it is now. At least that way noone would be sad or angry right now. I know it is not policy of WotC to comment on Spoilers but this was just way too big. Especially with all the money involved on the secondary market (and i know that Wotc does not care about the secondary market but this could have cost them players).