RegisterDonateLogin

Even Master Yoda doesn't have a midi-chlorian count this high!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Cad Bane Options
twinjedi
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 4:45:07 PM
Groups: Member

hi everyone, I hope everybody is having a good time with Gaw. I'm just wondering what everybodys opinion is about godd ol' Cad Bane.

IMHO, I think he is amazing for what he does, but he might have a few less hp then I thought he would have, but overall, he is awesome.

Woot
CrunchBite
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 5:53:21 PM

I hate to say this, but he should be banned from DD's, in my opinion.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 7:45:27 PM

CrunchBite wrote:

i ran him tonight with jedi general Flobi and yularen. it was priceless!
opportunist just added to the serious injury.
swsf17
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 12:28:03 AM

CrunchBite wrote:

Why?????Confused
curler88j
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 2:51:10 AM

i ran cad and flobi and made about 80% ofd my saves and just destroyed my opponents
mybackpacksgotjets
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 4:06:23 AM

it kinda sucks i love SWM Ive been playing since day one and i just hate to see the power creep each new series brings i do love the art and painting and am glad that they keep going with new series but look at a Vader from rebel storm compared to a new Vader from one of the past 3 series and i feel that cad bane is just the newest member of the power creep club like roids in baseball
CerousMutor
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 5:12:36 AM

mybackpacksgotjets wrote:
it kinda sucks i love SWM Ive been playing since day one and i just hate to see the power creep each new series brings i do love the art and painting and am glad that they keep going with new series but look at a Vader from rebel storm compared to a new Vader from one of the past 3 series and i feel that cad bane is just the newest member of the power creep club like roids in baseball

I hear you!!
Its becoming such a 'marketed' game I'm beginning to lose my faith in ol' SWars once again.
First it was when the PT over ruled the time line as we know it, know its T-cannon overuling the time line as we now know it and now its the way this game is heading.
amsnow
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 5:15:49 AM

stop throwing the b-word around, we dont need another gowk fight. imo cad is not too good, if you base him, which is possible, he is dead, with all the r2 astros and speedy cannons out there, he will take his fair share of defeat
carnorjax1
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 5:19:55 AM

He is an amazing hitter, but his health is pretty low. I would say that if you can get a melee piece next to him, you can trash him pretty badly.
Jonnyb815
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 5:45:08 AM

He is overrated. if you want to take out Bane in a game just run GG DAC and mice as cover. Or you can just base him for the kill. He only has 80 hp for 54 points thats a lot in a 150 game. So he is mainly a 200 piece what happens at 200 well most of the best squads do more than 80 damage or can base/have melee attackers. Since he costs 54 points most tempo control squads will out act him setting up for the kill.
NR -melee based and Double evade
Republic-movement breakers and can do more than 80 an a phase
Seps living-can base but should out act Bane making him come to them.
Sep droids-28 def mice and pawn
Empire-Swap force points force sense crap but I dont feel they are one of the top squads.
Rebels-snowspeeder and Han has AS
Sith-17-18 def NU and a lot of force powers
OR-WEW can charge for the kill and have force sense so shots are 50 50 now.

He is a good piece just not what everyone things he is. He lacks AS, not many hit points and only a 10 base atk. He cant hit NU just like Durge JH. There is a lot of anti stealth running round taking away his stealth leaving him with evade and flight. I just feel at 54 points he will go down fast or can be taken out of the game by NU high def or just out acting him not giving him shots and basing for the kill.
joelker41
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 6:40:04 AM

Is Cad Bane gamechanging and meta shifting?

No, not in any respect. He is a tool and if you are a good surgeon you know how to maximize him but he has FAR TO MANY DRAWBACKS to be banned or whatever.

That being said I did win a 200 point tourney going 4-0 with him and Han GH and Kyle. He was the hammer of the squad, doing over 500 damage in 4 games, and eliminated R2, Rex, did 80 to FlObi, and took out all kinds of little pieces to blaze the trail for Han and Kyle. The strength of the piece wasn't the reason I won it is All about positioning and maximizing the shots. The power of Cad is the ability to hit something 4 times and hit more than 50% of the time generally, and if you capitalize on that and combine it with a good shooter/interference piece/Bodyguard it will take you far.

He is the big hitter and the icebreaker, but any squad with a movement breaker will take him out fairly easily. I lost him in two games, once to YoBuck and the other on 4 straight missed evades so it all evens out.

Overall he is a Rex that dies quicly to Melee instead of opposing shooters. Just rush him and he will go down.

However if this was a football game he would have gotten the gameball lol...he eliminated I believe a dozen characters and did over 500 damage, so he is easily one of my favorite new figures.
billiv15
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 7:32:19 AM

CerousMutor wrote:

First it was when the PT over ruled the time line as we know it, know its T-cannon overuling the time line as we now know it and now its the way this game is heading.

Huh? I really am not sure what you are arguing. You quoted a new poster who was complaining of supposed power creed with Cad, which I would challenge anyways, but then went on to talk about time lines and the "T-cannon" which I can only assume means Twin Cannon? I really don't see the relationship at all.

On topic, Cad is a glass cannon. He'll be an issue for those playing against him who don't understand or bother with the tactical elements of the game. And those people playing him who do not, will lose him to better players likely without doing anything.

I'd be happy to play a few test games with anyone who really thinks Cad is an example of power creep on Vassal.

Further, read the "commando droid" thread here in General. Not only do you have a very hard time proving to competitive players that 54 points is a deal for this guy, but that it's so much better than other options, that it can overcome the reverse power creep present in just one example from this set, in the Commando droid.

In general, sets include about 1/3 competitive minis, 1/3 decent minis, and 1/3 crap. All of those have their purposes in the game, but if you are going to call one of the best ones an example of power creep, I expect you to apply the same standard to all of those that are even clearer examples that it isn't so.
Mickey
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 11:33:36 AM

I see alot of people crying about power creep. I have to disagree. The game is evolving yes. However, when you look at tier 1 squads do you not see old figs in there? I don't think every tier 1 squad consists solely of new stuff. I think it is more about synergy. As time goes on and the way the game does not disallow older stuff to be used we are getting more combos that provide some amazing synergy. This is going to happen. I also disagree shooters rule the field. I argue the best squads are those that mix shooters and melee.

Last night it was not Cad that was the problem to deal with. It was the new Obi. He was tearing through the opponent. I also love the new Anakin. That momentum with greater mobile and knight speed made my booster squad. My only loss was to Obi. My opponent could not miss a save to save my life LOL I also got Argyus. I didn't like him at first glance but getting to play him I now like the fig. I'm not so sure a senate squad would do well but alone he is nice. I ran him behind Anakin. Once Anakin came in Argyus could come in and twin for 60 damage to finish off the big pieces.
dnemiller
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 11:52:21 AM

Cad is nothing new. He is just a new version of the same type of shooter we get every few sets.

Boba BH and Han Scoundrel were the prototypes for this shooter that is why he is not so new.

Cad will have his place among these types of shooters. He will fill a neat niche in a Nom Bomb squad.

He also will be a major liability for people that run him thinking he will be the savior of their squad.

It really comes down to the player and their intentions. For some Cad will be a crutch and like most crutch pieces will not be a major success run that way.

For others they will sparingly use him effectively like they would any other shooter.

I dont think he is overpowering and he is not an example of power creep. To me he might be a picture of less than optimal design. Stealth with evade seems like a waste to me. I am not saying it doesnt work but when you are talking about the fact this upped his cost even more I am just not sure it was necessary.

I think Cad's biggest drawback will be his 80 hit points. He will drop easily enough.

Oddly to the last poster I think Argyus, senate commandos, General Skywalker and Commander Asohka will be perfect type of build to take down Cad. As long as you use the Commandos like a melee piece and base with twin and momentum..... +13 for a possible 80 damage and then a possible rolling cleave.

You may miss one but if you cut him in half and he only gets 20 points out of it..... well I know that would be worth it to me.
Dark_Jedi_21
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 12:50:58 PM

dnemiller wrote:

Oddly to the last poster I think Argyus, senate commandos, General Skywalker and Commander Asohka will be perfect type of build to take down Cad. As long as you use the Commandos like a melee piece and base with twin and momentum..... +13 for a possible 80 damage and then a possible rolling cleave.

You may miss one but if you cut him in half and he only gets 20 points out of it..... well I know that would be worth it to me.

Well if you have Argyus and Skywalker and you move a Senate Commando to hit Bane you will have Momentum and Close Quarters Fighting for +17. BigGrin So then you only need twos to hit.
Squid89
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 10:36:49 AM

He's very vulnerable and a situational piece. I went against him with 2x Ultra Battle Droids and they took him out without basing him. Twin attacking (Whorm) with +10 damage (BDS) at +12 (BDO). I got them close enough one round to open fire the next - he was the only one left of the squad at the time and was a bit closer than he should have been. Six attacks each needing a 10 to hit him in cover and only three hits not saved for Evade and he was gone. He needed 11s to hit me in cover and only did 10 damage each time with DR10. Up against Uniques (without DR10), he is a different story. There are quite a few squads out there with few Uniques that are still fun to play and he will struggle against them. General Skywalker can almost take him in one round from 10 squares out. Cad is a fun piece, but well balanced enough that he is not going to change the game forever. I don't think powercreep pertains to him (or the rest of the set overall)

I would rather have seen him have some abilities more in touch with his animated character and have a CE so he can't be a follower. But, he is what he is and should be fun to play.
Draconarius
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 1:41:26 PM

Dark_Jedi_21 wrote:
dnemiller wrote:

Well if you have Argyus and Skywalker and you move a Senate Commando to hit Bane you will have Momentum and Close Quarters Fighting for +17. BigGrin So then you only need twos to hit.

Knowing my luck, I'd roll a pair of 1s. Crying
turkveal
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 3:17:54 PM

I do like him and he has his place, but he is nothing new to the game and hes very beatable. In the right players hands he will preform excellent I agree with dnemiller that a lot of people will use him as a crutch and he fails as that. But with twin/double, stealth, evade and flight theres a lot to like and a lot of playability opinion as long as something doesnt drop him in one turn(which is VERY doable) he should be able to escape and fight again, which does fit him in the T.V series.
dalsiandon
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 6:40:59 AM

Cad will have a place in this game, namely replacing Zam Wessel as Nom Anors power shooter. A true power shooter that is able to beneift from Nom's CE is what Cad is. He is dangerous, and make him a SS bomb and his 80hp, while low will gain some staying power. And even then, the goal is not for him to blow up, but when he dies hope he does with an enemy next to him.
maverick
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 9:56:17 AM

Draconarius wrote:
Dark_Jedi_21 wrote:
dnemiller wrote:

Knowing my luck, I'd roll a pair of 1s. Crying

I'd be right there with you.