RegisterDonateLogin

Is NOT a trap!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Poll Question : What is your stance on non-canonical minis?
Choice Votes Statistics
Make them. It'd be fun to have new models! 26 33.766233 %
Neutral. I don't care, stats are all I care about. 2 2.597402 %
Never. Star Wars Minis should only contain canon! 49 63.636363 %

What is your stance on non-canonical minis? Options
Sithfan
Posted: Monday, November 2, 2009 6:12:26 AM
Groups: Member

I saw this come up at the Wizards site, and I was wondering what the majority of players think.

Personally, I would really like to see certain popular non-canonical representations of characters that we already have many of.

For example, Cyborg Maul, Darth Starkiller, Vader Redeemed, or any of the Ralph McQuarrie concept models.

I don't think that the game will become broken, but it will instead create more variety in the models for characters that we could see in the future.

What do you think?
Sithborg
Posted: Monday, November 2, 2009 6:16:58 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

No.
Fredwood
Posted: Monday, November 2, 2009 6:34:19 AM

Why not, it's not as if there would be a lot of them, so i don't see the harm in making a few as long as they don't make them rather powerful.
Sithborg
Posted: Monday, November 2, 2009 6:39:03 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Where is the line drawn, though? A lot of those can be incorporated into generic minis, which is fine. There is already a bit of a what if portion to the game, adding in stuff that doesn't exist doesn't help.
Sithfan
Posted: Monday, November 2, 2009 6:43:53 AM

Sithborg wrote:
Where is the line drawn, though? A lot of those can be incorporated into generic minis, which is fine. There is already a bit of a what if portion to the game, adding in stuff that doesn't exist doesn't help.

To be honest though, none of it really exists... and as you said it the game is set up as a "what if...?" with stats and factions. When did Lando help out Darth Bane to take out Zaalbar and Darth Vader?

And while I would agree with you that it "could" go overboard, I have enough faith in LFL and Wizards to say "no" to things like "Jar-Jar, Force Spirit".
amsnow
Posted: Monday, November 2, 2009 8:06:42 AM

Sithfan wrote:
Sithborg wrote:

To be honest though, none of it really exists... and as you said it the game is set up as a "what if...?" with stats and factions. When did Lando help out Darth Bane to take out Zaalbar and Darth Vader?

And while I would agree with you that it "could" go overboard, I have enough faith in LFL and Wizards to say "no" to things like "Jar-Jar, Force Spirit".

very well said my friend. but as long as it came from a story line such as when luke went to the darkside im all for it, but if it never showed up in any kind of book or artwork then no, like yeah no jar jar force spirit. but maybe pieces like jaden kor sith master or jedi exile dark side version. or darth starkiller (crosses fingers) definately yes
amsnow
Posted: Monday, November 2, 2009 8:07:51 AM

love robot chicken btw
Sithfan
Posted: Monday, November 2, 2009 8:19:59 AM

amsnow wrote:
very well said my friend. but as long as it came from a story line such as when luke went to the darkside im all for it, but if it never showed up in any kind of book or artwork then no, like yeah no jar jar force spirit. but maybe pieces like jaden kor sith master or jedi exile dark side version. or darth starkiller (crosses fingers) definately yes

Exactly. As long as it came from some Star Wars source material (and not a parody) then it should be fair game for Wizards to use.

To all the people voting "Never", would the inclusion of such non-canon minis make you quit the game? Or not buy a set?
Weaver
Posted: Monday, November 2, 2009 8:27:51 AM

I don't see the problem with it. I mean, Vader's Apprentice Redeemed and Vader's Apprentice Unleashed exist side-by-side, and I haven't seen anyone complaining about that.
amsnow
Posted: Monday, November 2, 2009 8:35:08 AM

Weaver wrote:
I don't see the problem with it. I mean, Vader's Apprentice Redeemed and Vader's Apprentice Unleashed exist side-by-side, and I haven't seen anyone complaining about that.

yes but technically not at the same time, he was the unleashed version before he was redeemed, its the same thing as saying there are anakin minis existing with darth vader minis. they could do a non tournament legal set just to see how they do and if it goes well make them legal, or even just release the set non legal and just keep it that way for the collectors
harmonm4
Posted: Monday, November 2, 2009 8:41:18 AM

Sithfan wrote:
Sithborg wrote:

It is a difference of actual minis being made and rules of the game. Can you imagine if anything anyone ever made about Star Wars could be free game? It wouldn't be Star Wars Minis anymore. There are plenty of characters out there that can still be made. Many of them can have a new mini of them made from a part of the movie story line or from one of the cannon books that brings a new concept to some of the characters.

For Example: Luke and Leia on speeder bike. There is still too much to work with to have any non-cannon material in the game created into unique minis.

I politely, yet completely, disagree with the idea.
Centipede
Posted: Monday, November 2, 2009 8:45:28 AM

Sithborg wrote:
No.

First, I find it ironic that a user named Sithborg (combination of two villain organizations from different franchises) does not like the idea of non-canon SWM figures.

Personally, I would love to see them.
obsidian7788
Posted: Monday, November 2, 2009 8:49:49 AM

i for one would be thrilled to see more non cannon minis. I really enjoy reading the books. anyways wouldn't darth vader redeemed be cannon. it did actually happen in the movies.
amsnow
Posted: Monday, November 2, 2009 8:53:35 AM

well definately shouldnt be released yet, but down the line when we have over 30 different lukes it should be released
Weaver
Posted: Monday, November 2, 2009 8:57:14 AM

Inevitably, we're going to run out of named characters and going to have to get creative, or you'll have chumps with inexplicably good abilities. You can only have so many Darth Vaders before it becomes ridiculous. Or, rather, more ridiculous than it already is.
dnemiller
Posted: Monday, November 2, 2009 9:36:47 AM

Weaver wrote:
Inevitably, we're going to run out of named characters and going to have to get creative, or you'll have chumps with inexplicably good abilities. You can only have so many Darth Vaders before it becomes ridiculous. Or, rather, more ridiculous than it already is.

At this point I would much more interested in them touching some of the thousands of named characters in the star wars exapnded universe first.

Where is my Niles Ferrier ship thief!!!!!!
Damore
Posted: Monday, November 2, 2009 9:43:10 AM

I would like to see a few from Star Wars Infinities like Vader, Redeemed(white armor); Leia, Sith Lady; or Boba Fett in Carbonite.
Sithfan
Posted: Monday, November 2, 2009 9:44:52 AM

I am saying that previously published (and recognized) non-canonical characters could be published by Wizards (just like how Hasbro has non-canonical action figures in it's 3.5" line) with the same playtesting and quality that they would do with any of the minis that they already produce.

That doesn't mean that Wizards will look at fan fiction and say "This character, that no one has ever heard of, killed Bane?! He'll sell boosters by the bucketload!" And I'm also not saying that all source material for a certain set should be non-canon, just the odd figure here and there.

And what if it was just the sculpts? Like Boba Fett in Arctic "McQuarrian" Armor with Boba like stats, just cool new white armor to parade around in... Or Vader with a blue lightsaber and a stretched out mask... Would it still be Vader? Sure. Is it still Star Wars? Yes. Would it break the game? No.
adminsidious
Posted: Monday, November 2, 2009 9:53:57 AM

Technically speaking, they already have done this.

Darth Plagueis, thought peripherally existant in Cannon, had his sculpt based on Tag & Bink: Revenge of the Clone Menace, which is totally not cannon in any way shape or form.

I hope I didn't ruin this game for anyone in pointing this out.
Jediabiwan
Posted: Monday, November 2, 2009 10:00:55 AM

adminsidious wrote:
Technically speaking, they already have done this.

Darth Plagueis, thought peripherally existant in Cannon, had his sculpt based on Tag & Bink: Revenge of the Clone Menace, which is totally not cannon in any way shape or form.

I hope I didn't ruin this game for anyone in pointing this out.

This is a discussion we have had before. There may be some minis that do not have totally canon appearances, but I believe the designers did the best they could with the resources available to them. The other difference is the character could look like that unlike a lot of non-canon minis like Light Side Vader, Cyborg Maul, etc. I for one pray that we never have non-canon minis unless this game grows a lot and they are in a separated, cheaper set like what Magic did.