RegisterDonateLogin

Has altered the deal. Pray it does not alter it further.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Commander Gree Options
Joasht
Posted: Wednesday, November 4, 2009 6:01:46 PM
Groups: Member

Pardon my inexperience, but earlier today I realized that Commander Gree's CE affects all allied characters, not just those with Order 66. This brings me to my question; for 20 points he is a character with decent stats that practically gives everyone on your squad +4 attack. Why isn't he used more often?

Thanks
saeseetiin
Posted: Wednesday, November 4, 2009 6:44:58 PM

He is nice and I use him all the time Also only folloewrs gain squad assualt.But the others count as one of the other three with the same name to get it.
Joasht
Posted: Wednesday, November 4, 2009 7:10:44 PM

Ah all "followers".....my bad didn't read it all too well :P

Still, I can see some practical uses with it, like with Antarian Rangers to give them unholy amounts of +hit :D
Sinister
Posted: Wednesday, November 4, 2009 7:47:31 PM

I think the biggest problem he has is that there are so many other good pieces in his slot like BBSV or Yularen. There is just not enough space to get all in. I prefer Yularen over him because of the extra damage and the other SEs he got.
darkjacen
Posted: Wednesday, November 4, 2009 8:18:01 PM

I actually like using that gree. He's really good along with Yoda and the Antarian Rangers. My favorite build with Gree involves GM Yoda, Quinlan Vos Infiltrator and the Antarian Rangers. Throw in a BBSV and you get Evading Antarian Rangers with an Amazing Attack.BigGrin
engineer
Posted: Wednesday, November 4, 2009 10:46:44 PM

darkjacen wrote:
... with an Amazing Attack.BigGrin

A single attack. Not worth all those points.
Jediabiwan
Posted: Thursday, November 5, 2009 12:25:57 AM

I used to think the same thing. Then, after i started actually building a bunch of squads, he didn't really fit in to many of them. The problem is, he is 20pts who isn't really doing any damage. +4 Attack is really nice, but most pieces in the republic have pretty high attack values, and there are many other ways to boost attack AND damage. Also a lot of my squads have too few characters or need to be spread out making squad assault hard to use. He is however perfect for swarm squads, and battles over 200pts.
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Posted: Thursday, November 5, 2009 12:38:53 AM

Him + Gen. Aayla. All clones (Gree included!) get the attack bonus and Double Attack.
Mickey
Posted: Thursday, November 5, 2009 12:59:20 AM

I just don't feel it for Yularan. With no tempo control in the republic and usually facing tempo control you will be hard pressed to get any use out of the opportunist against an experienced player.

I do like the rangers though. I like they are usable in the NR. They don't have good shooters and this was a nice addition. There are better republic shooters I agree.
Eroschilles
Posted: Thursday, November 5, 2009 1:35:15 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Gree works for boosting the attack of a youngling swarm. Younglings charging at your opponent with +10 attack is always fun to do.
billiv15
Posted: Thursday, November 5, 2009 1:44:56 AM

Jediabiwan wrote:
I used to think the same thing. Then, after i started actually building a bunch of squads, he didn't really fit in to many of them. The problem is, he is 20pts who isn't really doing any damage.

I beg to differ. He does 30 dmg himself when attacking and in the right squads, he can be quite nasty as an attacker. I've use him in Gov. Tarkin, Palps SL, Rex squads and I have a new one featuring him right now. Here it is:

--Flobi and the 501st--
66 Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi General
33 Captain Rex
20 Commander Gree
52 501st Clone Trooper x4
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Mas Amedda
3 Mouse Droid
9 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3

(200pts. 13 activations)

He now has GMA, Double at +10 for 30 each, and he makes the 501st +12 for 20 triple with GMA. You might question my use of doubling up on SA here, but Gree does something more. He makes it so the 501st do not have to be near each other for the benefits.

He is also amazing for Star Force Troopers. It's really the part about allowing the whole squad to contribute to the squad abilities that makes him worth it.
billiv15
Posted: Thursday, November 5, 2009 1:46:36 AM

Mickey wrote:
I just don't feel it for Yularan. With no tempo control in the republic and usually facing tempo control you will be hard pressed to get any use out of the opportunist against an experienced player.

That's a false idea that I see and hear a lot. Remember, one the battle starts, you opponent has to activate something. Activation control is not needed for opportunist, there are plenty of other strategic things you can do to get opp off. I posted a whole list of how to use him on Gamers, you should read it.
Jonnyb815
Posted: Thursday, November 5, 2009 1:50:48 AM

Getting off opp with AY will be hard for the Republic unless they have an czerka that combine costs 34 points. You will still be able to get it off here and there but it will be harder. AY is still worth his points but the squads that he helps are a lot thinner and have to take though to come up with.

Gree does more than just squad assault.
He is an 11 atk.Bill showed you that he can be a good shooter. He can gain GMA from Rex and double from FLObi or GA.

He is great with 501st or the repeaters. Some other figures: Senate commandos,Star Corp,Younglings,Dash RS,ARF Trooper, and jawa Savager.

Gree is a not a straight bonus so you can still use jolee or GMA with him.He lets allies count as squad in there name. There are 3 squad SA:Squad Cover,Squad Assault and squad Fire. He can help the ARF since they have squad cover. he has the squad assault CE. The last one is the star corps with Squad fire.

Zalkrie
Posted: Thursday, November 5, 2009 2:50:41 AM

billiv15 wrote:
Activation control is not needed for opportunist, there are plenty of other strategic things you can do to get opp off. I posted a whole list of how to use him on Gamers, you should read it.

Bill....On what forum and what post on gamers. I would love to read it.
swinefeld
Posted: Thursday, November 5, 2009 3:02:14 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Commander Gree is an excellent piece. Yes he works great with a lot of the Clones, but his CE can be useful for dozens of pieces, some of which would not be viable in a squad otherwise. Use your imagination!

Personally, I like that you can use Diplomats to get the bonus for other figs. Sneaky
Mickey
Posted: Thursday, November 5, 2009 3:28:50 AM

I guess we will just have to disagree Bill. I see better uses for the points than trying to pull an opportunist shot. Playing against an experienced player they are not going to activate the closest pieces when they know your entire squad has it. Playing against tempo control, which is quite common now, you are not going to get it often enough to use him. I find the piece less desirable in competitive play. You are having to work to use his ability and I'd rather work less on something that works more often. Now if you are using accurate shot then it matters alot less and then I'd use him. That's just my choice anyway. I'm not saying he is not a good piece, just not a piece I'd try to work into a squad unless I was playing for fun.
billiv15
Posted: Thursday, November 5, 2009 3:54:00 AM

Mickey wrote:
I guess we will just have to disagree Bill. I see better uses for the points than trying to pull an opportunist shot. Playing against an experienced player they are not going to activate the closest pieces when they know your entire squad has it. Playing against tempo control, which is quite common now, you are not going to get it often enough to use him.

And I as your opponent already know that and can use that against you. I guess I need to go find the post.

Here it is, me responding to someone else making a similar claim as you.

I disagree to an extent. Clearly, you are correct, that in a faction without tempo control, granting opp is not as powerful as in another with it. However, with that said, it can be useful, and I believe more so than K3PO.

Let's think for a second at the uses of Opportunist in the current meta. First off, clearly Han Smuggler with Dodonna. But there is a key here. He is generally speaking, the only piece in those squads that uses Opp. Most of the time he is paired with other things that don't mind going earlier in the round. Can you do that with Republic? Absolutely.

Second, what about imperials? First there is Piett, the restriction to troopers limits him greatly, and most just go for Opp Thrawn instead these days. Usually, Ozzel is chosen, but he still has a strong negative effect on the options, even if he helps you get opp off. You have to out activate, and without doing so, you are in some trouble. And again, to even make use of opp, something has to go early and not use it.

San Hill and opp shooters (sometimes droids). Same problem as imps. In the living options (Lando, Dash, TBSV), you simply save your opp shooters until last, and often use Jarael as an activator early. One the fighting begins, the opp shooters still work ok, but San Hill can become a liability as much as an asset. As for droids, they work well because they are hard to kill, and can come in decent numbers. But they do get beat up a lot once the action starts. You generally hope they land enough damage before they start to die.

Everyone else. Most opp figures are used with cunning attackers, with beats, with activators, etc. Opp requires that you in some way have to coerce your opponent to activate and to stay in a place that your opp piece can get to. Can the republic do this? Absolutely. Since he grants it to all non-melee followers, it ends up working very similarly to running Opp Thrawn with shooters without Ozzel (which I have done multiple times and enjoy quite a lot). I actually prefer not using Ozzel because he limits the swapping so much in cases where your opponent also has activation control. And further, the moving 2 per phase actually makes dealing with being out activated better for swapping in general.

So all of this is to say, I think AY will be a better piece than you have stated. He will be limited, but so are all of the other opportunist options out there. The key will be, not trying to make squads designed solely around abusing AY. I believe that is the real issue here. In the past, people automatically would jump into Opp squads with activation control because it's relatively easy to play (in the early game anyways), forgives mistakes (you get to see most of your opponent's moves before you move your damage dealers), and looks great on paper. But the best opp squads have always been those that function well at both ends of the time table. Something always has to go first in a round. The key with AY is forcing your opponent into decisions that hurt either way.

Some examples of synergy that a good AY squad will likely contain at this time are:

Activators - Jarael, TBSV, etc.
Czerka options - Rex, Cad, TBSV, other 20 dmg shooters, especially with multiple attacks like the Repeating blaster, etc.
Melee interference - You won't always have to activate your opponent just to get off opp. Just forcing them into action to take out a tough melee piece early in a round will work.
Yoda on Kybuck and Anakin on Stap - They deal with the cheap fodder preventing your opp, as well as the deep strikes on commanders. Anakin has the added bonus of getting AY's CE as well. That's a real double edge nasty sword right there, and people said Anakin on Stap wasn't very good :)
Cunning Attackers - You can go the route of shooters with cunning 10/20 built into them. These do two things. 1st, it forces your opponent to start to choose what is worse for them. 2nd, it gives you flexibility and a desire to go first anyways. It could be on the same figures you want opp for, but it can also be on others. Shaak Ti JM would work well here for example. Other options include a Black Sun squad, with ABSTs. You can either take the 30 dmg twin attacking ABSTs, or they get opp.
Figures that can force AoOs. Wookiees are my favorite option here, as I mentioned above. Opp is a great deterrent for AoOs and really makes them nasty. You can most certainly use that to your advantage to protect another more important piece behind them, or use it simply as offense.

Now, those are just some strategy options for AY, and while I agree, he has limits, there are most definately uses for him. For me personally, I'm probably more likely to play around with the melee options for a while, but for those who swear by non-melee figures, or just want to play clones, etc, I think he has some significant uses.
Jonnyb815
Posted: Thursday, November 5, 2009 3:58:48 AM

Edit Bill said what I was going

well the Republic do have
Czerka with repeating/501 rex
Jareal/TBSV
Yodabuck
Panaka
Dark Woman
R2

Then there is just out play them or give them bait.

SO they have movement and so many people that play Gen dod take early bait even some of the good players in the game. I was playing my friend matt in the last round of the champion. Yes both of us were messing around to a point since the game really didnt matter for either of us other than boosters since we had drops. We were both 4-2.
I made him act his speeder early leting me put 60 from rex. He right away killed rex with han and leia leaving them out. I was able to put 40 on han from my gungans. There was no point to act han and leia that early.

At the Chicago Regional with my Gungan Rex squad I was able to give them bait making them act there pieces earlier than they needed too with 1-2 gungans.

This happened in the Vassal Championship with Tint.Yes this was the first time he was playing Slow cannon and was vs GOWK
First time he had a shoot at lobot with the speeder but came in too early and lost his speeder in the end because of it.

what I am says is this
Many people even with tempo control act there pieces earlier than they have to making opp useful. Even if you cant give them bait there are other ways around tempo control the republic have.
Weeks
Posted: Thursday, November 5, 2009 6:17:31 AM

getting back to gree instead of AY. Squad assualt is great if you want an extra +4 to attack for your shooters i personally use gree a lot. he's great as an extra bounus for attack if your already using someone like Grand Master Yoda to boost a total of +7 attack for your followers is always nice.

I've also found moving to get squad assault off has helped me a lot with my placement. Keeping all your pieces close but still spread out and in cover can be a fun chalenge for yourself.

And to whoever said gree sucks at attacking. Dude +11 for 30 damage, are you serious? My gree has killed more R2's and Dodonna's then just about any other one of my pieces. His big bounus is no one expects you to use him, i also like to have him kill something like an ugg thats in my way and expose him he's got 60 hp he can take a hit or 2 and use him as a shield for my other pieces.

Bottom line Gree is just like every other piece. They all have use's, dont say something sucks until you've tried it out(sorry Jedi Master Kit Fisto your cool in my book). Things always look different on paper then they accually play on the board.
Jediabiwan
Posted: Thursday, November 5, 2009 11:09:52 AM

I probably shouldn't have said that he doesn't do much damage, it is probably just my experience. With Rex he can be great as GMA helps to keep him alive, and also in other situations. I just am usually too scared to bring hip out b/c of his really low def and only decent HP, and while 30dmg is great, the 11 att is only decent.