RegisterDonateLogin

Great Bloo Milk comes from happy Banthas. Happy Banthas come from Tatooine.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Opinions about Mas Amedda Options
Stoff3
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 12:40:04 PM
Groups: Member

Hi there,

I need some general opinions about Mas Amedda. My friends are giving me a hard time because I play him a lot. They believe he's the most imbalanced single character in the game.

My personal opinion is that given the truth that me and my friends play without fringe they never see a possibility like Mas Amedda in the form of a mouse droid for their armies and therefore look at him as imbalanced.

Maybe he gives too much to republic that are already a very good faction, but I believe he's essential for imperial to give them the chance to boost their units without massing and be shot like ducks by missiles, lightning or grenades.

Please give me your opinions.

Thanks.
maverick
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 12:48:40 PM

best $12 I ever spent. I too play him a lot, but he alone does not make a team.
Stoff3
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 12:52:06 PM

maverick wrote:
best $12 I ever spent. I too play him a lot, but he alone does not make a team.

Well do you consider him being anywhere near totally broken?
Xeonaught
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 12:54:52 PM

I use mas most games and if im honest with you i dont think he is as good as they say he is. I mean yes he can be fantastic but his SA booming voice needs to be understood or else it can bite you in the but. Also my friend who i play with manages to work around not havin mas quite well with like 2 mouse droids. so yes mas is good and he will forever be a good peice but hes not as good now as he ws b4 the mouse droids
maverick
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 12:56:34 PM

not really. I can, however, understand where they are coming from. I see him more as an evolution of game mechanics. If they don't have him, or have mouse droids for a similar effect on there squads than you do clearly have an advantage. You don't suffer from restricting placement, etc. Where as they would if they don't have Mas. You can easily anticipate their movements where you can run free.
Stoff3
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 1:06:39 PM

maverick wrote:
not really. I can, however, understand where they are coming from. I see him more as an evolution of game mechanics. If they don't have him, or have mouse droids for a similar effect on there squads than you do clearly have an advantage. You don't suffer from restricting placement, etc. Where as they would if they don't have Mas. You can easily anticipate their movements where you can run free.

That I am aware of. Though as I stated before I think the real issue is that they don't wanna play fringe, and therefore they can't use mouse droids. I don't see Mas as the real problem, the real problem is that they can't use a similar effect.
mercenary_moose
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 1:28:11 PM

Simply put, you can't play Republic or Imps competitively without him.
maverick
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 1:30:47 PM

Stoff3 wrote:
maverick wrote:

That I am aware of. Though as I stated before I think the real issue is that they don't wanna play fringe, and therefore they can't use mouse droids. I don't see Mas as the real problem, the real problem is that they can't use a similar effect.

they can. if they are unwilling, than it is their problem.
Partof1
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 1:50:34 PM

I see his use, but I would rather he not have been made. I couldn't get one back in Champions, still haven't gotten him, and I manage fine. It encourages players to think more about positioning without him, and I think I've become a better player because of his absence. However, I play primarily Rebels, NR, and Seps, and the Mouse Droids are a boon to them. They are actually well made, making positioning important, but keeping commanders aloof.
dnemiller
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 1:57:53 PM

wow I wouldn't really worry about it. I mean wow!!! Mas has been around for like 4 years. He is extremely useful but I mean everyone uses some sort of piece that imporves their squad immensly. Rebel players use Dodonna at break neck speed. Seps players have used pieces like San. Republic and Imp players use Mas.... just the difference in factions and their strengths. Sounds like your friends grips are more about sour grapes than Mas is broken.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 2:16:16 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Not playing fringe sounds silly.
baneofthesith
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 2:36:50 PM

no fringe eh? i though it was a DCI rule your squad had to have dash rendar,RS now.Wink
dalsiandon
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 2:46:36 PM

mercenary_moose wrote:
Simply put, you can't play Republic or Imps competitively without him.

That is no more true then you need Doombot to play them competitevly. They are big helps and big boosts, but not absolutes. Those factions however are easier to use when they are on the field. I played an Imp squad without him earlier today that dominated without Mas. And I do mean dominated.

Again he makes building squads easier because all the consideration for commander movement is gone. That's soemthign a lot of factiosn still have to deal with, and thats one of the things that makes them more challenging to play. Crutch is often a word tossed around. But thats again more for ease of use then brokeness

Partof1 wrote:
I see his use, but I would rather he not have been made. I couldn't get one back in Champions, still haven't gotten him, and I manage fine. It encourages players to think more about positioning without him, and I think I've become a better player because of his absence. However, I play primarily Rebels, NR, and Seps, and the Mouse Droids are a boon to them. They are actually well made, making positioning important, but keeping commanders aloof.

QFT' goes hand in hand with what I was saying.

(however to Part of 1)
How did you not get one? he's just a rare? Now a days he's mucho expensive, so I'm glad that your happily without.

And as for the OP, I think you need to let fringe become usable, then the mice can see some action and the imbalance of Mas will lessen. Or be a pal, and lighten up and not use him for a few sessions.

I think he is one of the best fig's for his cost in the game, broken no, he has patetic DO, and has a pour life expectancy if put into a troubling situation.

Mickey
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 2:56:26 PM

No fringe? Why not? They represent a large number of great figs. As far as Mas, he works great with republic squads because of the high number of CE's they can throw out there. Also he makes swap squads much easier to play.
saeseetiin
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 3:02:03 PM

I bought Mass for like 4 dollars back in the day and he is great but when I did't have a huge collection I and the people thought he was almost illegal but mice fix that problem and brings balance to the force.
Partof1
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 3:15:21 PM

I was just starting back then,and didn't buy many boosters. What I had to trade, I wanted to swap for more flashy figs.
StevenO
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 4:17:25 PM

Just a caution but you aren't giving Mas too much power are you? He may allow commanders to ignore range 6 but remember you still need to be able to count to the units to be affected which means you can't leave your commanders shut in a room and still expect them to work everywhere.

As for power he is certainly nice but is also a long ways from being a squad onto himself. In order for him to be "broken" that means you need to run short ranged command effects which can be broken and that may be the problem.
Stoff3
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 8:28:28 PM

maverick wrote:
Stoff3 wrote:
maverick wrote:

they can. if they are unwilling, than it is their problem.

I believe that fringe, as some people put it here, brings balance into the game. It offers options, often present in one or two teams, to all squads. Maybe the option is not as great as "the real deal" but it really shouldn't be either.

And as far as I can see, uniques being very strong get a problem in the form of bounty hunters in fringe too.

I just wanted the opinion of people here, and is grateful for all answers :)
ugavine
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 9:13:23 PM

For a couple of years I have considered Mas as the most imbalanced piece in the game. His Booming Voice CE was just rediculous for his cost. The Thrawn switch the obvious example of it's abuse.

Nowadays, I'm not so bothered. A lot more Commanders have boardwide CEs negating his use. And now we also have the Fringe Mouse Droid - exactly the piece I thought we should of had rather than Mas.

DarthKurt
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 4:11:34 AM

Mas is a great piece. My favorite faction is Imperial so I use him in quite a few builds.
But now that the mice droids have arrived with a 20 defense, I use him less. I can use mice for 3 pts. (or 2 with Ghanackt).

I don't think he's broken.