RegisterDonateLogin

Can beat Deep Blue at Dejarik.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Poll Question : Best Faction with regard to playability !?
Choice Votes Statistics
Imperial 10 14.084507 %
Rebels 25 35.211267 %
Separatists 3 4.225352 %
Mandos 2 2.816901 %
Sith 1 1.408450 %
New Republic 5 7.042253 %
Old Republic 1 1.408450 %
Republic 24 33.802816 %
Vong 0 0.000000 %

Best Faction with regard to playability !? (Tournament) Options
TK-4334
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 6:02:44 AM
Groups: Member

So tell me what u think. Smile

Witch Faction do you think is the most competitive in tournament. ?
Kaxel Vofer
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 6:23:37 AM

I´m an old fan of SW, so I prefer to play with the Imperial faction, I think this faction have a powerful soldiers and a lot of this, and excelent commander that boost any squad, in second I will go with Mandaloreans, they have a high costed pieces but all have a good stats a don't need several commanders, and the posibility of become fringe in Mandaloreans, greettings.
Dr. Destructo
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 6:33:05 AM

for me, the NR was the easiest to play when I started. It's a pretty straight forward faction, with just enough synergy to get a new player thinking. But if you mean playabilty as "has the most tricks and can do anything" then I think it would be Imperials. They have access to almost every kind of CE to fit most any play style there is.
Quarlitox
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 6:46:00 AM

IMO Rebels, they have a lot of great commanders and good pieces for support.
Weaver
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 6:48:45 AM

In what context? There are factions that are better for casual play or tournament play, or for less or more experienced players.
Sithborg
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 6:49:29 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Define "playability". All factions are quite playable, with good and bad matchup respectively. Personally, the Seps are my most playable faction, just because I love them, play them a lot, and am pretty good with them.

Playable is far, far, far different than "competitive".
swinefeld
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 7:06:04 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Gotta go with the Imps. Can do anything from 5pt storm troopers with super high defense, swap squads, super-stealth, Order 66... even mercenaries are playable. They have access to Mas, the best force battery in the game, and so many Vaders to choose from BigGrin

I think the Imps have something to offer almost any type of player.
Squid89
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 7:57:28 AM

I think the Rebels have the best combos to match up against the most opponent possibilities in a big tourney. Imperials and Republic have a lot of possibilities, but many of their best squads have major weaknesses against other squads. Rebels aren't auto-win, but can give you a fighting chance against any other faction.
billiv15
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 8:34:27 AM

Sithborg wrote:
Playable is far, far, far different than "competitive".

And even if he were to ask for "competitive" there is an equally wide variety of answers based on what level he wants to play at. At about 99% of venues, pretty much any faction is both playable and competitive. But so much depends on the player that I really don't know how to answer this adaquately.

I clicked "Imperials" because I like Vader the best. But you may or may not find them playable based on the pieces you have, how you use them, and how good of a player you are. Game outcomes are not primarily determined by squads in this game. So technically, any answer would be perfectly valid to your question.
TK-4334
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 8:42:48 AM

There is a difference between all those Factions.
I think that we all hold that an professionell builded Old Republic Squad never can beat an pro Rebel Squad when their are played well.

So the point is a Rebel Squad ist more competitive as an Old Republic Squad. Isn´t it ?
billiv15
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 8:50:38 AM

TK-4334 wrote:
There is a difference between all those Factions.
I think that we all hold that an professionell builded Old Republic Squad never can beat an pro Rebel Squad when their are played well.

So the point is a Rebel Squad ist more competitive as an Old Republic Squad. Isn´t it ?

You didn't specify well played, or that you were asking for competitive earlier. You also didn't specify point level. At 200 I compete quite well with OR. In fact, I smoke a lot of people with TJE, Atton and whatever else I throw in on that given day.

And even if we start with the qualifiers you added, where a Rebel build is played by the best in the world, without major mistakes, and it's a top tier build, same with the OR, the odds are still at best about 55-45 Rebel (only really tried it at 200 lately).

At 100, OR is great fun. TJE, Atton, czerka, HBG, Ugo is quite good and can smoke Rebels easily. So again, are we supposed to be looking only at the how the top 6-10 players in the world would fair, on the current map list, at 150pts only, in a championship type event? Or can we consider the other 99% of games out there where none of that is true and the answer then radically changes as to what faction fits.
saeseetiin
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 8:59:20 AM

I picked the Imps because I think they can do well at any point level.
dengardude
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 9:00:01 AM

New Republic- no doubt about it. With Grand Master Luke now in it, it's basically undefeatable.
saeseetiin
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 9:02:44 AM

dengardude wrote:
New Republic- no doubt about it. With Grand Master Luke now in it, it's basically undefeatable.

Your kidding right? They are good but not because of GML.
TK-4334
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 9:04:38 AM

Perhaps i´m too blinded by the winning squads the last years.
German Championship 08, 09 - Slow Cannon (Top 8 _ 7 Rebels; 1 Imperial)
Gencon - lobbin Luke (Rebels too)
Darth O
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 12:01:20 PM

I vote Rebels because

a. It takes up most of my collection
b. They have so many possibilities with all those uniques and commanders
c. Rebel Snowspeeder. Untouchable. Enough said.
Mickey
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 2:22:48 PM

I picked the republic because of their versatility. I'm guessing playability means there is no weakness. The republic can play a good shooter squad or melee. Alot of the other factions tend to be weak in one area.
OLDMANKENOBI
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 3:42:30 PM

republic doesnt have disrupt
greentime
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 6:26:16 PM

With the addition of the R7 droid, Rebels and Republic IMHO lost one of their largest advantages, which was access to great and cheap override. Yeah Lobot (either one) is a swell piece, but T3M4 is pretty expensive for what you get, and being able to have Lobot AND R2 is obviously gonna give you a substantial advantage. I would say that the biggest discrepancy at 150 and to a lesser extent 200 points is activation control -- Rebels and NR have the best by some margin, Separatists and Imperials can get it with [a] penalty[ies], and everyone else is outta luck. It's even nastier for Seps and Imperials because they can get such amazingly strong opportunist shooters, but the amazing flexibility of Dodonna is enough IMHO to elevate Rebels and NR slightly above everyone else in that regard. Rebels having such a great reservoir of inexpensive tech (disruption, high-damage accurate shot, movement breakers, turn-sequence breakers like Leia and Bothan Noble, damage absorbing shenanigans like 2-1B and that infamous Speeder, oh yeah and whatshisname that general guy Rieekan whoever) makes them the faction to beat for the time being. Honestly I think if you got rid of Dodonna Rebels would be very very beatable -- they are hardly invincible now.

Bill has the right of it though -- good players beat bad players. Map choice has basically turned into the most important role for huge swaths of matchups (heavy melee vs. heavy shooting). And as the greatest general of all time said, it's better to be lucky than good. If you roll enough 20's, you can become very hard to beat indeed!
Theophagos
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 8:07:34 PM

Quote:
Bill has the right of it though -- good players beat bad players. Map choice has basically turned into the most important role for huge swaths of matchups (heavy melee vs. heavy shooting). And as the greatest general of all time said, it's better to be lucky than good. If you roll enough 20's, you can become very hard to beat indeed!

Sometimes I wonder... So you say, a good player with a squad consisting of 30 Stormtroopers playing against a bad player copying a Gencon-speedy-cannon squad will surely win, if the bad player isn't lucky? I doubt that.

It makes no sense to ask for a squad that makes a bad player to a good player, as much as it is stupid to ask for a squad that lets you roll 20s. I think it's totally fair to ask for a squad that has the potential to win a tournament (at the usual circumstances -- some good players there, no body is exceptional lucky etc.).
I think it's no coincidence that Gencon wasn't won by Vong squads.

The said, I voted for Rebels as they have access to all the fine gimmicks and good shooters too. But Republic is next to equal and Seps, NR and Imps follow close up.

Theophagos