RegisterDonateLogin

All who gain Bloo Milk are afraid to lose it. Even the Jedi.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Poll Question : Best Faction with regard to playability !?
Choice Votes Statistics
Imperial 10 14.084507 %
Rebels 25 35.211267 %
Separatists 3 4.225352 %
Mandos 2 2.816901 %
Sith 1 1.408450 %
New Republic 5 7.042253 %
Old Republic 1 1.408450 %
Republic 24 33.802816 %
Vong 0 0.000000 %

Best Faction with regard to playability !? (Tournament) Options
billiv15
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 12:29:23 AM
Groups: Member

Theophagos wrote:

Sometimes I wonder... So you say, a good player with a squad consisting of 30 Stormtroopers playing against a bad player copying a Gencon-speedy-cannon squad will surely win, if the bad player isn't lucky? I doubt that.
See, every time I try to explain this point, someone comes out with the ridiculous comparison. That isn't what I was saying. Look at the conversation thus far. The comments would lead someone to say that the best Rebel squad, would always beat the best of another faction. That just isn't true, and it isn't even true from a percentage standpoint either. A good player with OR or Vong, will beat a decent player with Rebels more than 50% of the time.

When we have this discussion, people always want to use the "well assuming players of equal strength" argument and that's all well and good, but you have to think of the reality here. This almost never happens, and it even more rarely happens with two really good players. The results of two equal players of low skill do not turn out the same as that of two top level competitive players. This almost always leads people to believe non-melee is vastly superior to melee figures for example, because at this level of the game, that's pretty much true. At the higher levels, it changes dramatically and we have very different results.

So if our only way to make an argument that one faction is stronger than another is based on the assumption that the players are equal, and that they are each top level competitive, well then we have already constricted our comments and results down to a level which is meaningless to anyone else in the forum interested in reading it.

Even further, most of you don't recognize that even considering top level squads in the hands of top level players against others are only percentage points better than another option.
Theophagos wrote:
It makes no sense to ask for a squad that makes a bad player to a good player, as much as it is stupid to ask for a squad that lets you roll 20s. I think it's totally fair to ask for a squad that has the potential to win a tournament (at the usual circumstances -- some good players there, no body is exceptional lucky etc.).
I think it's no coincidence that Gencon wasn't won by Vong squads
No one played Vong. If the map list was less open, and/or the champ was played at 200, Vong very easily could have competed. Further, you also have to take into account slow play, which right now, severely hampers many of the existing Vong squads. But if you step away from Gencon, I won a couple of tournaments with Vong last year, one with Jonnyb and MtMagus also playing in it. Nickname wins at his local store all the time with Vong. Dean has won tournaments with OR. I've beaten Rebels, NR, Imperials and Republic with OR on Vassal multiple times. And finally, at the championship level, the players will choose the squads that they believe give them the best advantage, even when it's tiny or just a perception. A 55%-45% win percentage is usually what we are looking at, it's not huge, but it's enough to push us to the 55 squad. But in actual play, the 45 could easily win a given game as well.

My point is, people almost universally over value squad strength. In the Gencon Team tournament, I beat the crap out of a Slow Cannon 200pt squad with Vader Scourge and Cade Skywalker, and I wasn't "lucky" doing it. This isn't to say that I am arguing that any given random assortment of pieces can win. Squad construction is important, but it's not as important as understanding tactics and strategy and out playing your opponent. If you do what you required, "potential to win a tournament (at the usual circumstances -- some good players there, no body is exceptional lucky etc.)" well then to answer your question, any of the existing factions fit that bill, but it also depends on your skill and that of your opponents.
owaller3
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 1:17:00 AM

@billiv15

While I agree with you I think your answer is too nuanced for this discussion. I think everyone is looking for the "all else equal" answer having the squad build the one variable in the equation. While this is too simplistic for real life situations it gives all players of different skill levels the clearity to see what is good and what is not. I can say from experience that having played Republic at GenCon put me at a distinct disadvantage having all three losses due to superior squad match-ups (Lobin' Luke and Slow Cannon) and not luck or bad play. I think this is what players in this discussion are looking for.
Mickey
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 1:55:18 AM

@OLDMANKENOBI: Nym has disruptive so any faction can get that ability. I'm not saying he is a great choice but it can be taken if you feel you have to have it.
billiv15
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 3:13:56 AM

owaller3 wrote:
I can say from experience that having played Republic at GenCon put me at a distinct disadvantage having all three losses due to superior squad match-ups (Lobin' Luke and Slow Cannon) and not luck or bad play. I think this is what players in this discussion are looking for.
So you are claiming that your skill level is equal to that of the people who made the top 8 and that the only reason you lost was squad strength? No offense here, but I don't think you can make that claim.

Further, you are ignoring the map list and making 150 the only point level, as well as assuming a tournament where slow play is not dealt with in order to make this claim.

I played Slow Cannon against Fingersandteeth with Yodabuck in a tournament at my house last year. I beat him because I won the key init. He then beat TimmerB with a similar squad to mine in the next round, when he won the init. Lou had TimmerB beat in round one at Gencon with Republic as well, he just lost the init. Tim went on to 5-2 placing 9th, and Lou went on to 4-3. Frank Baker made the top 8 with Republic as is. I was an init loss away from potentially losing to the guy from Alaska with Republic in round 6, which would have likely knocked me out of the top 8 and him into it.

Further, the French Champ was full of Gencon copies, as it always is, and it was dominated by Cad swapping instead. That's an Imperial build.

Last year, one good player did run Vong, and he went 5-2 with it at Gencon. To date, no top level player has taken OR into the Champs. But let's be honest. If you want to know what is best at the championship level, I will argue, that that information is almost completely useless at any other level of play.

And that's what I am really trying to argue here. It doesn't matter what's the "top" at the very highest levels of play, because it isn't helpful to everyone else' levels. You need to first understand all of the factors that go into play in these events. The "meta" as we call it. It's all the factors outside of the actual pieces that make the biggest difference.

When the January DCI changes go into effect (you can hear about them on the last Sith Holo News Network - available now for download on the main page at SWMgamers.com or on itunes), slow play likely goes away, the map list that favors Reeikan and the Speeder so heavily goes away, melee become much more playable combined with the new GAW pieces, and the roll of some absolutely key pieces in the current competitive meta drastically change - like UH Lobot for example. So I could simply give an answer to the question that 99% of people on this forum will fail to understand, they might take my advice, try it, and still not see any changes in their game. Or I can spend some time trying to explain the other factors, and perhaps teach people something useful about how to understand a competitive game :) As it is, the way the question has been restricted now, is of basically 0 use to anyone.

I stand by my point, 99% of you over value squad strength.
Weaver
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 4:51:04 AM

billiv15 wrote:

When the January DCI changes go into effect (you can hear about them on the last Sith Holo News Network - available now for download on the main page at SWMgamers.com or on itunes), slow play likely goes away, the map list that favors Reeikan and the Speeder so heavily goes away, melee become much more playable combined with the new GAW pieces, and the roll of some absolutely key pieces in the current competitive meta drastically change - like UH Lobot for example.

Could you elaborate on this? The latest Sith Holo News thing is an hour long, and some people might not have that much time to kill, myself included.
billiv15
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 5:09:42 AM

Weaver wrote:

Could you elaborate on this? The latest Sith Holo News thing is an hour long, and some people might not have that much time to kill, myself included.

It's the first 5 minutes of the show..... Did you even try before resorting to having me just post it for you?

Theophagos
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 5:18:17 AM

Quote:
billiv15
I stand by my point, 99% of you over value squad strength.

While this might or might not be true, it is beside the point of this poll.

Quote:
billiv15
If the map list was less open, and/or the champ was played at 200, Vong very easily could have competed. Further, you also have to take into account slow play, which right now, severely hampers many of the existing Vong squads. But if you step away from Gencon, I won a couple of tournaments with Vong last year, one with Jonnyb and MtMagus also playing in it. Nickname wins at his local store all the time with Vong.

Quite a couple of ifs. TK-4334 didn't ask for Gencon nor did he ask for non-Gencon, so this means not either but both. And while Vong aren't good at Gencon, Rebels are, so Rebels have more potential. Or are there levels or metas in that the Vong make good squads and Rebels don't?

Theophagos
Mickey
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 5:19:27 AM

Well unfortunately I have an air modem which is comparable to dial up it seems. I will have to wait to get the low down from the guys at our event today. Do these changes affect national level only or all DCI? One thing I do not like about DCI changes is that as a member of the DCI community I get zero participation in the changes. I really do not like GenCon players making all the decisions that affect my LGS play. Since we are strictly DCI all the changes affect me directly.
billiv15
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 5:28:59 AM

Mickey wrote:
Well unfortunately I have an air modem which is comparable to dial up it seems. I will have to wait to get the low down from the guys at our event today.
PM Incoming, just for you :) Everyone else, listen to the show :)

Mickey wrote:
Do these changes affect national level only or all DCI?
All DCI play. It's the DCI rules I am talking about.

Mickey wrote:
One thing I do not like about DCI changes is that as a member of the DCI community I get zero participation in the changes. I really do not like GenCon players making all the decisions that affect my LGS play. Since we are strictly DCI all the changes affect me directly.
There are many things I would say here.

1. Gencon players do not control DCI in anyway.
2. You can participate in the discussions equally to anyone else right now.
3. You aren't going to agree with everything that ends up being done, but that's because DCI has to deal with championship play, local play and everything in between.
4. I really don't like the assertion that "Gencon players" would somehow be bad for the game, and while I think it's a pretty meaningless statement considering number 1 and 2, I still think you will want to be very careful what you say.
Weaver
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 5:45:27 AM

billiv15 wrote:
Weaver wrote:

It's the first 5 minutes of the show..... Did you even try before resorting to having me just post it for you?

I assumed I could rely on the kindness of a forumgoer instead of having to possibly sit through an hour-long show to hear one tidbit. Apparently I was mistaken.
dnemiller
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 5:55:50 AM

Mickey wrote:
Well unfortunately I have an air modem which is comparable to dial up it seems. I will have to wait to get the low down from the guys at our event today. Do these changes affect national level only or all DCI? One thing I do not like about DCI changes is that as a member of the DCI community I get zero participation in the changes. I really do not like GenCon players making all the decisions that affect my LGS play. Since we are strictly DCI all the changes affect me directly.

Your comment is so far off base it not even funny. Someone will that comment and believe it. Wow!

Please dont make comments out of ignorance. You want a voice in it.... then get involved. It seems you have zero clue of the process I go thru to write the floor rules so if you dont know please dont comment like you do or because a friend told you that is how things happen.

I get so tired of these kind of comments because obviously you have no idea how much time I spend talking to different playgroups getting opinions.

You want your opinion heard.... come to the source.

I will discuss it with anyone. But dont make false statements. You can PM me and I will gladly give you my number.
billiv15
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 6:02:07 AM

Weaver wrote:

I assumed I could rely on the kindness of a forumgoer instead of having to possibly sit through an hour-long show to hear one tidbit. Apparently I was mistaken.
Actually, I did. I came on here and told you exactly where you could hear the rules from the DCI content manager himself. If that isn't considered, "kind" then I'm sorry, your definition of kindness is pretty self centered. Teach a man to fish and all that. God forbid I would want people to listen to a great show that I am a part of and that Dean would want to discuss them on the show that he is a part of. Wow, we aren't kind at all....

In the time your typed this message you could have listened to Dean explain it all. Sad statement about the world that people are too lazy to even do that and want everything hand fed.
Weaver
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 6:04:45 AM

There's also the matter that the speakers on the computer I'm at right now work so poorly I can't even make out what they're saying.
EmporerDragon
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 6:11:58 AM

Weaver wrote:
There's also the matter that the speakers on the computer I'm at right now work so poorly I can't even make out what they're saying.

That can be resolved by using a pair of headphones.
Weaver
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 6:23:16 AM

Which would be helpful, if I had a pair of headphones on hand.
Mandelmauler
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 11:52:45 AM

OLDMANKENOBI wrote:
republic doesnt have disrupt

Or tempo.
TK-4334
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 10:24:03 PM

I vote rebels, too they have all nice SA´s for low cost, but i think Imps, Republic, and perhaps NR are close up.

I NEVER lose a game because of bad luck (perhaps 5%) . Sure if the die isn´t with u it can be hard to win. Just my opinion.
Jonnyb815
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2009 1:15:22 AM

By Limiting maps I think is a bad Idea for local LGSs. Many places dont have many maps to begin with and by limiting the maps is just not a good idea in my eyes locally. I really wish there were two formats so Top level play can have limited maps but Local play can still play maps that they have. I know they can do this now but if they have someone from out of town come play then they really cant.

I understand that WOTC not making balanced map packs is who is at fault. There is nothing we can do about that now. It looks like we will not be getting any more map packs,Battle Packs or starters any time soon.

By limiting maps will open up the meta and I dont think Rebels will be on top anymore. The Republic will be on top then. Republic squads dont need disruptive or Tempo. They have so many tricks that they can over come Tempo and Distruptive pretty easy.

owaller3
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2009 1:24:09 AM

TK-4334 wrote:
I vote rebels, too they have all nice SA´s for low cost, but i think Imps, Republic, and perhaps NR are close up.

I NEVER lose a game because of bad luck (perhaps 5%) . Sure if the die isn´t with u it can be hard to win. Just my opinion.

Props on the Dawn of Bane squad. I used it this weekend in a tournament no one even came close and I even beat Lobbin' Luke on train station. I was skeptical at first but it played very well. The most points my opponent got was 14.
owaller3
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2009 1:34:07 AM

billiv15 wrote:
owaller3 wrote:
I can say from experience that having played Republic at GenCon put me at a distinct disadvantage having all three losses due to superior squad match-ups (Lobin' Luke and Slow Cannon) and not luck or bad play. I think this is what players in this discussion are looking for.
So you are claiming that your skill level is equal to that of the people who made the top 8 and that the only reason you lost was squad strength? No offense here, but I don't think you can make that claim.

We should play sometime.