RegisterDonateLogin

Surrounds us. Penetrates us. Binds the galaxy together.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

possible Errata(s) ...just thinking out loud Options
swinefeld
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2009 4:46:10 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I was reading a thread yesterday in the rules forum Strafe + Twin and was reminded (I keep forgetting this) that Accelerate does not interact with Strafe attack.

Why shouldn't this be changed at this point in the evolution of the game?

The two Speeders from Rebel Storm would be much better and still (IMO) appropriately costed when compared to the CWBP Clone on Speeder and the Lancer. (they all are subject to some great CEs)

The poor Clone on BARC Speeder from Universe would remain the weaker option compared with it's newer counterpart, plus it is a huge.

End result: all the above could move 24 while strafing. The older pieces would still be limited to 6 squares if making their normal attack. No big deal if you ask me.

The last few sets have helped many older pieces. Why not give these classic pieces a tune-up already? BlooMilk

What other simple changes (as in glossary updates) can anyone think of that would resuscitate some other mostly-forgotten minis?

maverick
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2009 8:24:57 PM
Groups: Member

I think all attacks with lightsabers should count as melee attacks. no more deflecting lightsaber sweeps etc. and no more combining fire while using a lightsaber.
DarthJak
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2009 10:25:45 PM

Confused Confused who does that??
AdmiralAckbar
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 12:27:42 AM

Mara Jade Jedi
Aurra Sing Jedi Hunter
adidamps2
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 12:56:55 AM

maverick wrote:
I think all attacks with lightsabers should count as melee attacks. no more deflecting lightsaber sweeps etc. and no more combining fire while using a lightsaber.

my 1st encounter with this was with a Mara Jane Jedi...I was quite upset i couldn't block her lightsaber Angry

so agree ThumbsUp
Mickey
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 1:04:45 AM

They would need to specify that when the lightsaber is used you may melee block and when it is not used you may evade. We already know to add the extra in for the lightsaber damage when adjacent. It would not be hard to figure which evasion roll you get.

I've always thought the acceleration should also state strafing attacks only as an extra part of its wording ThumbsUp
Zalkrie
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 1:28:37 AM

You can not lightsaber block Mara's attacks when adjacent. They do not count as melee because she does not have the melee special ability. And you can not evade her attacks when adjacent either. Mara is a unique figure and that is what makes her so dangerous in NR squads.
swinefeld
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 1:43:21 AM

maverick wrote:

I sort of agree with this - for all characters with the Lightsaber SA, when they are attacking an adjacent enemy. And likewise for the two characters that have Lightsaber Sweep but not Melee attack - CS Aurra Sing and Luke Skywalker of Dagobah. At the same time, this is a mechanic that, while confusing is also interesting, and not widespread. A unique benefit for certain characters, most of them older minis.

I'm actually kind of on the fence with that one I guess... it certainly is confusing to new players.

@Mickey - Not sure if I'm reading your comment correctly, but my preference would be for Accelerate to work whether declaring a strafe attack or not. Basically would put those pieces on somewhat equal footing with the newer ones, minus the Speed 12 part (which is significant). Also, the RS speeders may be 7+ points cheaper than any of the others, but they only have 30hp and lower attack.
Sithborg
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 1:52:58 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Making exceptions is a bad idea. If strafe got around Accelerate, should other attack producing abilities get around Heavy Weapon. You just have to accept that the old speeders are bad pieces.
engineer
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 2:23:36 AM

Ugo's cost 5
headache62
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 2:45:49 AM

There doesn't need to be errata regarding the Lightsaber SA turning into a melee attack, especially if you try to include figures like Luke of Dagobah and Aurra Sing (CS).

Think of it this way; which is harder to understand: 1) Does it have the Melee Attack SA? or 2) Does it have the Lightsaber SA, or Lightsaber Sweep, or Lightsaber Assault, and what about if it just has a lit lightsaber but no Lightsaber SA or Force power, or......

The first is easier and, while I will admit that it is slightly counter-intuitive to "real world" Star Wars (as ironic as that is), it is easier for gameplay to just look at one SA (Melee) as compared to the possibility of several.
swinefeld
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 3:46:41 AM

Sithborg wrote:
Making exceptions is a bad idea. If strafe got around Accelerate, should other attack producing abilities get around Heavy Weapon. You just have to accept that the old speeders are bad pieces.

Lol, when I read this I imagined an audible groan from Sithborg... "oh no, not another one of these threads". I don't have "acceptance" issues per se. Wink

While I agree with his view in general principle, I think it depends on the scope of the "exception". There are bad pieces, and then there are bad abilities. Abilities/CEs have been changed before. Accelerate is not necessarily a bad ability in and of itself (see Wheelform), just seems to me the FAQ on Strafe's interaction with Accelerate could be removed without breaking anything, and 3 (or 2 at least) cool pieces could see a lot more use. The only other character with Accelerate is Maul on Speeder, and he doesn't have Strafe (good thing too!).

Compare the wording of Speed 12 and Accelerate:

Glossary wrote:
Accelerate

This character can move up to 24 squares if it does not attack

Glossary Text:

This character can move up to 24 squares if it does not attack.

Speed 12

Can move up to 12 squares and attack, or 24 squares without attacking

Glossary Text:

This character can move 12 squares and attack during its turn or move 24 squares without attacking. A speed over 6 is considered a bonus, and characters with multiple speeds but no speed penalty may use the fastest speed.

See what I mean? It's a very fine line between the two where Strafe is concerned, if not for the FAQ. I don't know when that FAQ originated, but if it is not recent I would argue that it has outlived it's usefulness in the game.

As an aside, I don't think the analogy to Heavy Weapon is a good one based on the wording. To me, the key here is the movement and the wording of Strafe.

Finally, I must admit that the subject of this thread could have been more clear - as in my OP I was talking about small changes that would make some older/little used minis more playable. The conversations are enjoyable either way Smile
swinefeld
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 3:49:53 AM

engineer wrote:
Ugo's cost 5

Oh, the poor fate of our favorite gambit collectors!

Mouse Droids at least 5 then, if not more. Razz

swinefeld
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 3:54:20 AM

headache62 wrote:
There doesn't need to be errata regarding the Lightsaber SA turning into a melee attack, especially if you try to include figures like Luke of Dagobah and Aurra Sing (CS).

Think of it this way; which is harder to understand: 1) Does it have the Melee Attack SA? or 2) Does it have the Lightsaber SA, or Lightsaber Sweep, or Lightsaber Assault, and what about if it just has a lit lightsaber but no Lightsaber SA or Force power, or......

The first is easier and, while I will admit that it is slightly counter-intuitive to "real world" Star Wars (as ironic as that is), it is easier for gameplay to just look at one SA (Melee) as compared to the possibility of several.

Yeah, I'm falling on your side of the fence considering that perspective, along with what I said before - that it's interesting to have a handful of characters that have their own unique way of doing things.
Mickey
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 4:03:42 AM

Yea David I meant that accelerate would allow strafing. I think those pieces would be used more if they allowed it.

On the other stuff I do see complexity adding in and it is better to just stick with the SA on the card rather than try to put real world mechanics into it.
Sithborg
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 5:33:51 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

The ruling on Strafe and Accelerate has been around since the beginning. It was how they were designed to work. Other errata to abilities have been to make them work as intended.
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 5:48:26 AM

Add this definition to the glossary!

Warrior: A Warrior is any character with the word Warrior in its name or who has the Warrior special ability.

Fixes the problem of the Yuuzhan Vong Subaltern's CE so that it is compatible with YV Elite Warriors and PV Warriors.
maverick
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 5:53:53 AM

headache62 wrote:

I agree that it is easier to understand. And it would take a lot of rewording to have all force powers, special abilities that contain the word lightsaber to count as melee attacks.

However, we now have two special abilities that ignore the type of attack printed on the characters stat card in Blaster 20 on GG DAC and Poisoned Blade on the Geno. I don't think it would take much to have Lightsaber +10 count as a melee attack. Simply adding, "Attacks made while using this special ability count as melee attacks" to the glossary wouldnt be all that difficult.

That being said, I do have a tendency to want things to be more "real" in a sense.
I know we are talking about a fictional universe to begin with, but logic always helps more people understand interactions. If everything worked like it "should" there would be a lot less confusion in my opinion.

maverick
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 5:54:24 AM

Mitth'raw'nuruodo wrote:
Add this definition to the glossary!

Warrior: A Warrior is any character with the word Warrior in its name or who has the Warrior special ability.

Fixes the problem of the Yuuzhan Vong Subaltern's CE so that it is compatible with YV Elite Warriors and PV Warriors.

I'll second that.
Weeks
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 6:09:01 AM

maverick wrote:

Seeing as only 3 characters do this and only one is played a lot, i dont see this as a problem. Mara's main benefit is she fights big melee pieces without getting counterattacked.

Every Faction has their special threat's. New republic has Mara, Jedi. Imperials have Grand Admiral Thrawn who blocks force powers. Rebels have the Speeder thats the fastest piece and it ignores a lot of damage. Vong are immune to force powers. Republic has Obi-wan who blocks most damage that would be done to him. Old republic has one of the best cost vs. damage shooters with atton rand. Mandalorians have non-unique pieces that put out more damage then a lot of unique pieces. And the Seps have GGDAC who has the best commander effect in the game.

I say all that to say that just because one piece is a scary threat that doesnt mean we need to errata the game. Just find the uniqueness in the faction you already play and use it to your advantage like everyone else does instead of whinning that mara just cut you in half.BigGrin