RegisterDonateLogin

Search your feelings. You know it to be Bloo.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

possible Errata(s) ...just thinking out loud Options
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 6:52:08 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

headache62 wrote:
There doesn't need to be errata regarding the Lightsaber SA turning into a melee attack, especially if you try to include figures like Luke of Dagobah and Aurra Sing (CS).

Think of it this way; which is harder to understand: 1) Does it have the Melee Attack SA? or 2) Does it have the Lightsaber SA, or Lightsaber Sweep, or Lightsaber Assault, and what about if it just has a lit lightsaber but no Lightsaber SA or Force power, or......

The first is easier and, while I will admit that it is slightly counter-intuitive to "real world" Star Wars (as ironic as that is), it is easier for gameplay to just look at one SA (Melee) as compared to the possibility of several.

Lightsaber: May cause +10 damage to adjacent targets; this counts as a melee attack.

We already have a precedent with Poisoned Blade.

To keep things simple, they shouldn't have given Lightsaber Sweep as a force power to anyone without Melee Attack as a special ability. Since they did, it should say:

Lightsaber Sweep: Force 1, replaces attacks: Can attack each adjacent enemy once. These attacks count as melee attacks

Same thing for the other Lightsaber attack force powers.

It's only seems easier to undestand as it is now because you got used to it. It's counter-intuitive beyond belief and the fact that there's already one exception (Poisoned Blade) means it makes more sense to errata all the lightsaber attacks to be melee.
maverick
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 6:55:35 AM
Groups: Member

Weeks wrote:
maverick wrote:
I think all attacks with lightsabers should count as melee attacks. no more deflecting lightsaber sweeps etc. and no more combining fire while using a lightsaber.

Seeing as only 3 characters do this and only one is played a lot, i dont see this as a problem. Mara's main benefit is she fights big melee pieces without getting counterattacked.

Every Faction has their special threat's. New republic has Mara, Jedi. Imperials have Grand Admiral Thrawn who blocks force powers. Rebels have the Speeder thats the fastest piece and it ignores a lot of damage. Vong are immune to force powers. Republic has Obi-wan who blocks most damage that would be done to him. Old republic has one of the best cost vs. damage shooters with atton rand. Mandalorians have non-unique pieces that put out more damage then a lot of unique pieces. And the Seps have GGDAC who has the best commander effect in the game.

I say all that to say that just because one piece is a scary threat that doesnt mean we need to errata the game. Just find the uniqueness in the faction you already play and use it to your advantage like everyone else does instead of whinning that mara just cut you in half.BigGrin

my concern isnt about Mara cutting me in half. I like things "real" so to speak. To me, it doesn't make sense to have non-melee Lightsaber attacks. And as the OP opened the floor to suggestions, I made one. I'm not saying "change Lightsaber to melee or else.'' Just pointing out something I think should be changed.

I also think characters that have zero damage should have melee. Its not like the new Thrawn passes out blaster pistols to caamasi nobles. I view it more as, the Noble just punched you.

I think the Czerka scientist, who upgrades everybody elses blaster weapons, should carry a pistol herself.

I think that Disintegration should be within range 6 because disruptor rifles dont have a very large effective range.

I think penetration should affect shields, crab armor, dark armor, and force attuned armor. I don't think the target of a grenade should be able to make a save, because if I threw a grenade at someone, theyre going to get hit by the grenade.

I think the more damage done by self destruct, grenades, and missiles, the larger the blast radius should be(add 1 square for each 10 damage dealt).

All of those things seem more "real" to me, but most of them are extremely unnecesary. I think the Lightsaber one makes the most sense to change, now I know that it won't change, especially not because I want it to. Its just a good idea in my opinion.
swinefeld
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 6:56:05 AM

Sithborg wrote:
The ruling on Strafe and Accelerate has been around since the beginning. It was how they were designed to work. Other errata to abilities have been to make them work as intended.

OK, and I'm not disputing those facts, or arguing against your viewpoint - just for mine!

It is true they were designed that way. We have a very different game now. This speaks directly to the original intent of this thread - identifying some things that could be changed with minimal effort (in this specific case merely editing an electronic document) to help some older minis to be more playable in the current environment.

We have a new designer now. There would be no harm in asking for some changes, even if they never come to pass.

It would be fun to play some matches using only the older pieces, but any more that would exclude a good number of players from taking part. At least at my LGS.

Besides, we all like to vent a little from time to time BigGrin
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2009 12:36:50 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
headache62 wrote:
There doesn't need to be errata regarding the Lightsaber SA turning into a melee attack, especially if you try to include figures like Luke of Dagobah and Aurra Sing (CS).

Think of it this way; which is harder to understand: 1) Does it have the Melee Attack SA? or 2) Does it have the Lightsaber SA, or Lightsaber Sweep, or Lightsaber Assault, and what about if it just has a lit lightsaber but no Lightsaber SA or Force power, or......

The first is easier and, while I will admit that it is slightly counter-intuitive to "real world" Star Wars (as ironic as that is), it is easier for gameplay to just look at one SA (Melee) as compared to the possibility of several.

Lightsaber: May cause +10 damage to adjacent targets; this counts as a melee attack.

To keep things simple, they shouldn't have given Lightsaber Sweep as a force power to anyone without Melee Attack as a special ability. Since they did, it should say:

Lightsaber Sweep: Force 1, replaces attacks: Can attack each adjacent enemy once. These attacks count as melee attacks

It's only seems easier to undestand as it is now because you got used to it. It's counter-intuitive beyond belief and the fact that there's already one exception (Poisoned Blade) means it makes more sense to errata all the lightsaber attacks to be melee.

More thoughts on that... GGDAC's blaster attack is considered non-melee. If the blaster attack is non-melee when he has melee attack, and the Geno's poisoned blade is considered melee when he doesn't have melee attack, it only makes sense to have Lightsaber be a melee attack even though Mara Jade Jedi doesn't have melee attack.
swinefeld
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2009 12:40:16 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:
headache62 wrote:

More thoughts on that... GGDAC's blaster attack is considered non-melee. If the blaster attack is non-melee when he has melee attack, and the Geno's poisoned blade is considered melee when he doesn't have melee attack, it only makes sense to have Lightsaber be a melee attack even though Mara Jade Jedi doesn't have melee attack.

You make a good point there.
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 12:24:41 PM

There's a problem in that there post.

FlyingArrow wrote:

This game has never made sense. Laugh You can't blow walls, Ysalamiri doesn't penetrate walls or doors, and Force Spirits can exist in a Ysalamiri bubble. There are things about this game that are weird and strange. IMO, it's part of what makes it fun to play. So just laugh about it and move on. Be happy in the fact that you can LS Deflect Mara's saber. LOL
Draconarius
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 1:49:16 PM

Mitth'raw'nuruodo wrote:

There's a problem in that there post.

FlyingArrow wrote:

This game has never made sense. Laugh You can't blow walls, Ysalamiri doesn't penetrate walls or doors, and Force Spirits can exist in a Ysalamiri bubble. There are things about this game that are weird and strange. IMO, it's part of what makes it fun to play. So just laugh about it and move on. Be happy in the fact that you can LS Deflect Mara's saber. LOL

For example, if someone can explain to me with in-universe logic why a Yuuzhan Vong can benefit from Force Valor that is being transmitted through a Mouse Droid (a perfectly legal and possible scenario), I'll eat my hat.
Centipede
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 7:57:31 AM

Satchel Charge (and other door destroyer type effects) should be able to blow open Overridden doors.
Moff Ivlis
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 8:23:17 AM

Centipede wrote:
Satchel Charge (and other door destroyer type effects) should be able to blow open Overridden doors.

Huh? It does... the glossary text for satchel charge reads;

Quote:
Instead of making its normal attack or attacks, this character removes an adjacent door from the battle map. The former door is now an open space and cannot be closed with Override or similar abilities.
swinefeld
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 8:46:57 AM

In the small potatoes section, but

why not errata Noghri/Guri so they can bodyguard the new Thrawn/Xizor? Seems like they weren't thinking that far ahead when Universe was designed...

Yes, I know this is an old subject - so what. Razz

Much like my suggestion regarding the old speeders, would break nothing and might make a couple old pieces see some play.