RegisterDonateLogin

Made the Kessel Run in less than 12 glasses.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

House Rules Options
Darth Chaos
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 7:46:01 AM
Groups: Member

Greetings!

We've been working under some House Rules, and I wanted to see what other people thought about them.

Basically, we feel like every character that has had any lightsaber training should be able to block and deflect. It should be a rule like Force Reroll or moving two extra squares, except limited to lightsaber weilders.

Our solution is to charge the character 2 Force points to do Lightsaber Defense, should they desire it.

Of course several characters already have these abilities on their cards, and they're costed into the figure. If Lightsaber Block, Lightsaber Deflect, or Lightsaber Defense are already on the card, the character is deemed to have some proficiency at that skill and only has to pay the required printed Force points to use the power.

So what does this do to the game as a whole? Is it breaking it? We don't think so. With the proliferation of Mobile Attack, Greater Mobile Attack, Twin Attack, Cunning Attack, etc., the era of Melee characters being useful is quickly ending. Often it's difficult to get them into the battle to do some damage before they get mowed down, and when they do get into someone's face, their Double Attack isn't very effective.

We've tried these rules out a few times, and they seem to make the game flow a little better, but I'd like hear what you think about this initial change.

Then I'd like to discuss the next step in the rule: Lightsaber Reflect.

We thought of this:

Lightsaber Reflect (Force 3: When hit by a nonmelee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11 and the attacker takes 10 damage, save 11)

But that seems kind of expensive to possibly reflect only 10 damage.

Funnily enough, the Vader version of Reflect is costed the same as the Luke version.

Lightsaber Reflect (Force 3: When hit by a nonmelee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11 and the attacker takes damage equal to the prevented damage; save 11)

But that seems kind of broken. We don't want to make all the damage potential of a ranged character so dangerous to themselves.

Any thoughts?

DC
Urza Planeswalker Jedi Master
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 7:57:49 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

You should also add
Door Sabotage (Force 1: Designate 1 adjacent door as open; it remains open for the rest of the skirmish and cannot be closed)
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 8:02:43 AM

Followers whose name contain the words "Black Sun" gain the Black Sun Special Ability (This character gains Grenades 10 when in a squad with a character whose name contains Xizor or Vigo)
baneofthesith
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 8:10:53 AM

I really like your Lightsaber Defense idea. It would really change the way the game is played now, and would make Darth Bane brutal again. awesome idea.
Squid89
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 8:31:32 AM

Darth Chaos wrote:

But that seems kind of broken. We don't want to make all the damage potential of a ranged character so dangerous to themselves.

We already have this with Gungan Shieldbearer and X-1 Viper Droid. You could possibly take all the damage you should dish out when attacking these guys depending on adjacent or not and save rolls.

The extra cost for Lightsaber Defense for all Jedi is not a bad solution. Not sure how it would play out for pieces like Han who have Force points and could gain 2 FPs (Light Tutor, Force Spirit) and use Lightsaber Defense without a lightsaber. Also, how would that affect characters in a squad with Palpy on Throne? Not saying it isn't good, but adding generic Force powers are a delicate balance with so many strange combinations of abilities.
Weeks
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 8:51:39 AM

Squid89 wrote:
Darth Chaos wrote:

We already have this with Gungan Shieldbearer and X-1 Viper Droid. You could possibly take all the damage you should dish out when attacking these guys depending on adjacent or not and save rolls.

The extra cost for Lightsaber Defense for all Jedi is not a bad solution. Not sure how it would play out for pieces like Han who have Force points and could gain 2 FPs (Light Tutor, Force Spirit) and use Lightsaber Defense without a lightsaber. Also, how would that affect characters in a squad with Palpy on Throne? Not saying it isn't good, but adding generic Force powers are a delicate balance with so many strange combinations of abilities.

Good point i guess you can just use the rule for lightsaber that we already have. If the mini has a lightsaber or a power with lightsaber in the name then they can use it. If not then they cant use it cause they dont have one.
Mickey
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 9:28:16 AM

It would definitely make Jedi seem more like they are in the movies. I like they should be able to open doors also.
StevenO
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 10:02:30 AM

Greater Mobile Attack should either allow you to move and take all of your attacks or allow you to split your move around a single (or twinned) attack. I don't really think move 3 to break cover-take 8 attacks-move 3 back into cover is a good thing for the game. Basically GMA should be split into just Mobile Attack and an ability which allows you to make all of your attacks as a standard action (I may be messing up some terms there.)
Darth Chaos
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 10:27:29 AM

Mitth'raw'nuruodo wrote:
Followers whose name contain the words "Black Sun" gain the Black Sun Special Ability (This character gains Grenades 10 when in a squad with a character whose name contains Xizor or Vigo)

Lolwut?
Darth Chaos
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 11:11:38 AM

Squid89 wrote:
Darth Chaos wrote:

I agree. It doesn't work with generic Force Users. We'd try to limit it to characters who might ACTUALLY have had lightsaber training or whose mini actually HAS a lightsaber. That's an iffy area and not easy to define. Having an ability or FP that states lightsaber would help, but might also be too limiting.

Hmmm...the Han Solo is a good example. We know Han doesn't carry a Lightsaber (except on Hoth!) and could probably not deflect or reflect or block with it. So Force Points do not a Jedi make.

Any suggestions?
Squid89
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 12:39:46 PM

I like the idea of limiting it to characters with a Lightsaber using the old glossary definition (lightsaber: A character counts as having a lightsaber if it has the Lightsaber special ability, a visible lightsaber on the model, or a force power whose name contains the word “lightsaber”.) That would eliminate pieces like Han.

Another idea I've thought about, but haven't actually playtested is a similar idea that all lightsabers users get the Lightsaber Defense ability, but with a save of 16. If the character has the ability printed on the card (or deflect/reflect/block) then the save remains 11. It imitates the movies a bit more and the ones who have the ability have a better proficiency thus the lower save. Just a thought.
Weaver
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 12:47:59 PM

I don't see the problem with characters without a lightsaber benefiting from a Lightsaber Defense effect. It could simply represent one using the Force to get their way out of a tight situation. You just wouldn't call it Lightsaber Defense.
Mickey
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 2:22:48 PM

Oh I like that Squid. It would only have to be a glossary fix also. It might also bring back melee squads a bit more as well. One of their biggest downfalls is if they do not have any ranged evasion on their card they have a hrd time getting across the field. It might even help with the map problem as melee would have a better chance on open maps.
Darth Chaos
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 2:52:03 PM

Squid89 wrote:
I like the idea of limiting it to characters with a Lightsaber using the old glossary definition (lightsaber: A character counts as having a lightsaber if it has the Lightsaber special ability, a visible lightsaber on the model, or a force power whose name contains the word “lightsaber”.) That would eliminate pieces like Han.

Another idea I've thought about, but haven't actually playtested is a similar idea that all lightsabers users get the Lightsaber Defense ability, but with a save of 16. If the character has the ability printed on the card (or deflect/reflect/block) then the save remains 11. It imitates the movies a bit more and the ones who have the ability have a better proficiency thus the lower save. Just a thought.

So keep the Force cost at 1, but make the save 16? That works, too. And it makes those characters who have limited Force points able to use it.

I like the idea of using the Lightsaber glossary definition, too.

What do you guys think of Reflect? DV or LS version? Or not at all?
mercenary_moose
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 5:21:08 PM

I love the idea of bringing back melee into relevance with the Block/Deflect house rule. Too many dang shooters out there these days... And I also like the save 16 idea a lot.

I am in favor of the second, more epic Lightsaber Reflect SA. 3 FPs are a lot to blow, and with as many high-damage, low-HP shooters as there are today, they might have to think twice about shooting a Jedi.

Also, I would have some kind of rule that Jedi can't use Force batteries to use these powers. As Squid89 said, this is a delicate balance here, and plentiful FPs could break that like so much fine china.
henr1477
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 1:06:34 PM

Urza Planeswalker Jedi Master wrote:
You should also add
Door Sabotage (Force 1: Designate 1 adjacent door as open; it remains open for the rest of the skirmish and cannot be closed)

Rather than using a force ability, make it that Jedi's can attack and destroy an adjacent door with 30 points of damage to the door from a lightsaber. It is similar to a rule in the Attack on Endor Scenario book, but limit it to doors.
Gemini1179
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 7:06:07 AM

My friends and I toyed with the idea that if you do a LS Block or Deflect and you rolled a 20, then the damage would be reflected back upon the attacker.
seibermaki
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 4:42:45 PM

interesting ideas. and yes, I too feel "Jedi" type characters should have the abilities of deflecting/reflecting non-melee attacks by default... especially if they have it on another version of the character.
Darth Chaos
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 5:18:39 PM

Gemini1179 wrote:
My friends and I toyed with the idea that if you do a LS Block or Deflect and you rolled a 20, then the damage would be reflected back upon the attacker.

That is awesome!
jhc36
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 7:10:38 AM

My buddies and I will get together every once in a while and change things up with some 'house rules'.

What we've done is assign and particular event to the numbers 1-20. An event being like 'dense fog'...which we've said that shooters have a range of just 12 squares. Each one being unique with different modifiers. We roll at the beginning of the round so it's effect is felt the entire round.

The only slightly difficult thing is to find 20 unique events...but it makes for a different game experience.