Grand Master Yoda 1 0.833333 %
R7 astromech Droid 4 3.333333 %
Cad Bane 5 4.166666 %
Other (please specify) 9 7.500000 %

2009 mini of the year!!! Options
Xeonaught
Posted: Thursday, December 3, 2009 5:13:00 PM
Groups: Member

Well ladies and gentalmen as we draw closer to the end of this year, it is a time for reflection as we take a look at the sets that have just been.

In janruary we were introduced to the new 40 minis sets kicked off by clone wars then followed by Imperial Entanglements, Jedi Acadamy and finally Galaxy at war.

Wow thats 160 new aditions to the minis family not to mention the starter sets, scenario pack and map packs. so who was you favourite mini of the year or who do you think was the best and why do you think this.

Any sugestions welcome.
Roque Saber
Posted: Thursday, December 3, 2009 5:32:42 PM

I opted for the mouse droid. It's one of the few 3 pt. pieces and is useable in the vast majority of squads. It really changed the way CE's are handled. (for non-Republic and Empire, that is) It also caused quite a bit of commotion with the "Super Mouse Droid" incident and has probably become the most sought after UC in the entire game. My $.02
DarthReeves
Posted: Thursday, December 3, 2009 5:34:31 PM

If we're going back to LAST November I've gotta take Rex. GGDC is too cheap and makes the game not fun. Rex squads are a lot more fun to play and play against. Mouse droids definitely get props, newer players LOVED getting a Thrawn. Old republic fans will say the Exile for sure, and the Jensari defenders win the award for just being plain sweet to kill a foe with.
kfc's waiting for you
Posted: Thursday, December 3, 2009 6:45:28 PM

I gave mine to Leia, just started playing NR.

Force sense, force renewal, that little lightsaber throw, and best of all... free rerolls... all for 25pts.
IG-108
Posted: Thursday, December 3, 2009 11:57:52 PM

I have to vote for GGDAC. He brought the Sep faction back from the dark and made them competitive, but it not so powerful that he breaks the game.
The Mouse Droid is my close choice for second. It definitely brought more power to the limited CEs in the game.
Zalkrie
Posted: Friday, December 4, 2009 1:35:19 AM

I voted other because I am a huge fan of Whorm Loathsom. He more than GGDAC has made seps playalbe again IMO. Sep squads have made a huge comeback from his release.
ugavine
Posted: Friday, December 4, 2009 1:48:29 AM

IG-108 wrote:
I have to vote for GGDAC. He brought the Sep faction back from the dark and made them competitive, but it not so powerful that he breaks the game.
The Mouse Droid is my close choice for second. It definitely brought more power to the limited CEs in the game.

Pretty much my opinion too, I voted GG DAC. While Rex is my favourite new character to appear in recent years Grievous has made the Seps a formidable force again. And I do like my droid squads. Smile
Quarlitox
Posted: Friday, December 4, 2009 1:52:33 AM

Mouse droid, there is no other piece like it.
Urza Planeswalker Jedi Master
Posted: Friday, December 4, 2009 1:54:32 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

R7
baneofthesith
Posted: Friday, December 4, 2009 1:55:51 AM

ive gotta give it to the mouse droids. they have really opened up the game to factions without mas. also wheres the electric chair? probably my fav of the year.
joelker41
Posted: Friday, December 4, 2009 2:16:44 AM

Other.

Best mini from this year will wind up being General Skywalker IMO.

FlObi will be good, and of course my personal Minis love the Exile but Skywalker will wind up being a meta changer more than any other mini because he gives the republic and many good Fringe pieces the ability to move and do tons of damage. Facing a lot of Rieekan/Madine? Swap in Anakin up to 10 away and 1 shot either of them with 60 damage/Knight Speed/Greater Mobile.

Djem So is amazing on him, and LS Defense makes him a defensive tough kill as well. He also compliments what is arguably the two most Unique competitive pieces the Republic have in YoBuck and JWMs.

Just watch, once yoBuck and Anakin can face a non-melee hate and/or eliminate opposing disruptive early they will run the table with ease.

YoBuck can go 16 and hit for 60 with anakin, Anakin can move 10 for 60, and combined with Swap and tow it is just insane mobility wise.
ArtemisCFrog43
Posted: Friday, December 4, 2009 2:34:07 AM

Mouse Droid, mostly because you get two little black boxes for 3 points. That's a bargain if you ask me.
Weeks
Posted: Friday, December 4, 2009 2:51:55 AM

joelker41 wrote:
Other.

Best mini from this year will wind up being General Skywalker IMO.

FlObi will be good, and of course my personal Minis love the Exile but Skywalker will wind up being a meta changer more than any other mini because he gives the republic and many good Fringe pieces the ability to move and do tons of damage. Facing a lot of Rieekan/Madine? Swap in Anakin up to 10 away and 1 shot either of them with 60 damage/Knight Speed/Greater Mobile.

Djem So is amazing on him, and LS Defense makes him a defensive tough kill as well. He also compliments what is arguably the two most Unique competitive pieces the Republic have in YoBuck and JWMs.

Just watch, once yoBuck and Anakin can face a non-melee hate and/or eliminate opposing disruptive early they will run the table with ease.

YoBuck can go 16 and hit for 60 with anakin, Anakin can move 10 for 60, and combined with Swap and tow it is just insane mobility wise.

True GAni is a beast. Best overall goes to the mouse droid though. Its fringe, its cheap, its hard to kill, it boosts every faction.
lukey84
Posted: Friday, December 4, 2009 2:55:23 AM

i would agree, mouse droid. for reasons as stated above.
Mandelmauler
Posted: Friday, December 4, 2009 5:19:28 AM

Mouse droids. They make mandos, Sith and YV so much funner to play. Those factions still are not highly competitive, but they are getting closer.
Sithborg
Posted: Friday, December 4, 2009 5:47:44 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Loathsome, if just for the fact that Droid/Living Sep squads are now a possiblity, if not viable. He is something Sep players have been wanting for a long time.
Squid89
Posted: Friday, December 4, 2009 7:43:21 AM

General Whorm is a great piece for the Seps, no doubt. What makes him even better is the Mouse Droid! I think Whorm is my favorite piece to use, but the Mouse is just too good for the cost - Relay Orders, of course and also a great door opener and blocker with such a high defense for so cheap.
zerg
Posted: Friday, December 4, 2009 8:30:00 AM

Mouse Droid... and General Skywalker
StevenO
Posted: Friday, December 4, 2009 11:06:37 AM

Other - GOWK!! He is very easy for anyone to get, a nice looking mini, and made a significant impact on the game. He also happens to be the first mini slammed with the BAN HAMMER which goes to show the impact of General Obi Wan Kenobi.

As for the rest:
GGDAC - Resurrected the Seperatist movement and its droid armies.
Mouse Droid - Dirt cheap (in point but not $$$) and hard to kill. Spreading command effects for everyone also is a huge plus for it. Do any other pieces normally list for ten times more than an average piece of the same rarity?
R7 Astromech - Cheap Override for everyone in a package that can survive getting shot once.

If going off the list one of those three would be my choice with a fringe droid getting the edge. Why I don't think the others deserve it:

Rieekan - Evade/Mobile for a whole faction. Too bad it had already been done by Wedge even if it is a different faction.
Leia Skywalker - Speaking about Wedge here we get a piece that improves him and a number of other pieces. She is nice but once again the command effect is something that had been done before.
GMY - Only Rare which is nice and pretty effective but will often be seen as just a replacement for GOWK after the ban.
Cptn Rex, Bane, others - Great glass cannons with their ability to take a huge number of attacks while remaining mobile. The thing is that all they usually get used for is as a big stick and while there may be skill involved in playing them they can go in a large number of squads and stand alone.

I also have to agree that there are a few pieces missing from the list:
Loathsom - Twin for everyone without the damage restrictions is pretty nice
Palp on Throne - Best Force Battery in the game.
Grand Master Luke - Highest point cost in the game.
Falconjo
Posted: Friday, December 4, 2009 12:02:38 PM

arf trooper for the win! they are just so cool for their point cost. and since they are in dark times (rumored) they'll be mini of the year next year too ;P