RegisterDonateLogin

Warning: Do not drink within 1 hour of using Sith Rage.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

VASSAL Options
EvilYeti
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 6:23:44 AM
Groups: Member

This thread is so that if you're on Vassal you can tell people here on bloomilk and play a game. I'm on right now. (Fri 15 2:30ish)
Demosthenes
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 6:35:40 AM

If I knew how Vassal worked I might be interested. I looked at the site and gave up lol.
Sithborg
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 6:59:38 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

This thread is key to installing it.

http://www.swmgamers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7841
Demosthenes
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 7:32:28 AM

K so I did that, but it doesn't show anybody to play with, except a dude named Fool. Anyone else around to play? lol
EmporerDragon
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 7:39:23 AM

It's just not a peak time as most people are at work right now.
Demosthenes
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 7:41:27 AM

So does Vassal have a way of you selecting your collection or is it on the honor system that you'll only use your own pieces?
dnemiller
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 7:48:24 AM

Demosthenes wrote:
So does Vassal have a way of you selecting your collection or is it on the honor system that you'll only use your own pieces?

No one really cares about your collection on vassal. Most folks are looking to have a good time and get better at the game.

Vassal is a great to tool to test out how you want to use new pieces before taking them to a real life tourney.

It is also a great tool for learning what other parts of the world consider good.
kevin187
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 8:04:57 AM

Is there not a way to see the figs stats/sa's/force powers? Do you really have to own the fig or look them all up on bloomilk? I've got it installed and connected with a friend, but beyond that have no idea how to actually play out a skirmish. Is it all manual as it appears? Moving/attacking, etc? Seems impossible without ventrilo or something. Hopefully we are just noob's and you can shed some light dean.
LoboStele
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 8:10:12 AM

Yeah, Ventrillo or Skype help immensely. But those of us who've been playing for several years have been using Vassal for a while, and only started using Skype in the last 6 months or so. So it's totally possible to play games just by using the chat window and saying stuff like "Rex shoots at Dooku" or stuff like that. There's also Targetting cursors you can pull down from one of the menus, and move those around the map just like the pieces, and that can help with showing who's shooting and who's the target.

Unfortunately, we all have to rely on our own cards, or Bloomilk's database for the character stats. Oftentimes, I will make sure my squad is built on Bloomilk, then pull up that squad while I'm playing it, so I can quickly click back and forth between my characters as necessary to look at their stats. You do track HP and FPs directly on the characters though, and you can right-click on the characters, and then one option allows you to put customized text on top of the character. Some people just use that to do silly stuff, but a lot of people you will see put something like "20/+12" in that field, to designate Defense and Attack bonus.

Oh, and even if Fool is the only one on Vassal, you should definitely hit him to play a game. He's a great guy, the mastermind of the GVL (Gamers Vassal League) and a lot of fun to play with. Plus, if you're a noob, he'll certainly show you the ropes of Vassal.
EmporerDragon
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 8:14:19 AM

Another good way for having the stats easily on hand is to make the 2 squads in mini manager, then use the compare squads option.
qvos
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 8:49:26 AM

kevin187 wrote:
Is there not a way to see the figs stats/sa's/force powers? Do you really have to own the fig or look them all up on bloomilk? I've got it installed and connected with a friend, but beyond that have no idea how to actually play out a skirmish. Is it all manual as it appears? Moving/attacking, etc? Seems impossible without ventrilo or something. Hopefully we are just noob's and you can shed some light dean.

The program is really an excellent program. You can make your own cards if you want to.. Thats the beauty of it. once you get used to the control keys. It's awesome. Add skype with that and almost..... Almost like the real thing!
EvilYeti
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 1:15:43 AM

I'm on Vassal right now........It's dark and lonely here. Scared
DarthJak
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 1:16:46 AM

turn on a light ! mr yetiWink
SquelchDog
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 1:34:16 AM

dnemiller wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:

No one really cares about your collection on vassal. Most folks are looking to have a good time and get better at the game.

Vassal is a great to tool to test out how you want to use new pieces before taking them to a real life tourney.

It is also a great tool for learning what other parts of the world consider good.

An awesome tool, I really enjoy using it it's helping me to learn the rule's. BigGrin
SquelchDog
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 1:37:00 AM

Is there an in game tutorial for it at all? Something I can read thru? Just wondering, Be nice for when there isn't anyone on and it would help those out starting to learn it. ThumpUp
swsf17
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 6:29:55 AM

EmporerDragon wrote:
Another good way for having the stats easily on hand is to make the 2 squads in mini manager, then use the compare squads option.

I keep hearing about mini manager. What is it? What is the website?
mercenary_moose
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 6:41:19 AM

Kinda like Bloo Milk. You can keep tabs on your collection there and make squads, but I feel personally that Bloo Milk is far, far better.
swsf17
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 7:12:17 AM

ok thanks
dnemiller
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 8:05:52 AM

Mini Manager is a downloadable program for squad building.

You can build to hearts content like here. But the major difference is you dont need an internet connection to make it work. So if you LGS has no wifi and you take your computer there it is handy to use both.
qvos
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 8:35:52 AM

EvilYeti wrote:
I'm on Vassal right now........It's dark and lonely here. Scared

Sometimes on Friday, or Sat, Its slow on Vassal, but usually on Monday, or Wednesdays there are a ton of players on there. I know last night there were just 2 of us playing.