RegisterDonateLogin

Just like Beggar's Canyon back home.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

VASSAL: Playing SWM online Options
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 3:08:44 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I heard about this months ago and looked into it. I'm not too shabby with computers and files but after looking at the files and even reading how to install/use it all...I was lost. I tried but couldn't figure it out. No, I didn't ask for help and that was probably my downfall.

However, after not playing a lot I decided to try VASSAL again. This time I read thru all the documents and was still lost. So, I asked for help. A very patient and understanding individual (he goes by Joruus :) walked me thru all the steps. It turns out it's pretty easy. Since I could do it, I thought I'd try and make a "VASSAL for Dummies" on here in case anyone else was wanting to try it out.

STEP 1: Download the latest Java software
Yes, you need Java to start this whole process. No worries, you can get that here: http://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php?option=com_downloads&Itemid=26
(this is also the same location for the VASSAL software, but that's in the next step)
Once you click on the Java link, right under "Getting Started", it should walk you thru installing it.

STEP 2: Download the main VASSAL file
This all works thru a software engine called VASSAL. You can download that here: http://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php?option=com_downloads&Itemid=26
Save this in a location and remember where it is. Once downloaded you'll have to unzip it. You can do this just about any way you want and I think WinXP has a built in zip program. I put all the files into a folder called "VASSAL". (imagine that!)

STEP 3: Download the SWM module file
The main program, VASSAL, does not contain the SWM game. It requires "modules" to play any game on it. Think of VASSAL like an Xbox and the modules as game discs that need plugged into the Xbox. You can download the SWM module here: http://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php?option=com_vassal_modules&task=display&module_id=126&page=Files
You will need this file: "SWMinis.mod"
Once you have the zip file, unzip it and place the MOD file in a subfolder (call it "Modules") in the location where you placed the VASSAL software.

STEP 4: Download all the map files
Now that you have the SWM module, you need all the maps to play on! No worries, they are all located here:
http://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php?option=com_vassal_modules&task=display&module_id=126&page=Files
Grab all the maps except the Starship Battles (unless you want that one, but you need the other game module to play it). Unzip these wherever you like. Create a folder in the "Modules" folder with this exact name: "SWMinis_ext".
Go into each unzipped folder from the map files and grab all the MDX files and cut/paste them into the newly created folder above. (there should be only one file in each zip)

That's it for all the files. Now you are ready to get online and see who's out there!

STEP 5: Running VASSAL & Loading the SWM Module
Ok...now you have to start the VASSAL program. If it installed correctly, you will just run it like any other Windows program: using the "VASSAL" icon. Cool Once you are at the main screen, click "Play Module". You will have to show it where the "SWMinis.mod" file is located, then click "OPEN".
(if for some reason the install did not create an icon, you can find the BAT file inside the VASSAL folder. Should be this file name: "VASSAL.BAT". Double click that file.)

You'll now come to the module main page. Just start with "Look for a game online" then click "FINISH" at the bottom. Now you are in the game screen!

STEP 6: Connecting to the Server
This step is pretty easy. You can follow some online instructions for this one. (it has pics too) Go here: http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/doku.php?id=getting_started:server
(you'll have to copy/paste this one, for some reason it won't accept past the ":")

STEP 7: Navigating SWM online
Now comes the fun part. You can type messages to people in the general chat or you can send PMs by right clicking on a persons name and using "Pvt Message". If you want to watch or join a game, you have to first join a room. Just right click on a room (shown by a small folder icon) and say "Join Room". Now you can start or join a game! If you want to watch a game, just right click on a players name and use "Synchronize". You'll have to join as an "Observer" to watch.

If the map does not show up, then either the files aren't placed in the right folder or you do not have the right map. An error message will show up in the main chat window to tell you what went wrong. If you move any files, you'll have to quit VASSAL and start it over. (learned that the hard way)

Now I'm getting into the grey area where I'm new at this too. So, I will have to play around with it further and maybe I'll post more on this after.
HAVE FUN!!!
AdmiralAckbar
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 4:37:04 AM
Groups: Member

Thanks alot!

I gave up trying to install vassal months ago. I will try to install vassal tonight!
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 4:44:20 AM

Please let me know if anything needs more detail or isn't right.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 10:46:21 AM

Shinja...anyway to sticky this? or is it not worthy? :)
mercenary_moose
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 12:05:45 PM

I'm REALLY gonna have to download this!!! This is so awesome!

By the way, how recent are the pieces on VASSAL? Is it up-to-date, or are the pieces and maps outdated?
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 12:22:30 AM

The pieces are all there...but the newest maps are not...yet.
mercenary_moose
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 10:52:07 AM

Sweet! Count me in!
ralfe1315
Posted: Sunday, February 1, 2009 6:57:08 AM

Many, many thanks for this thread. I had all the elements and couldn't put them all together. I needed this hand-holding. I really appreciate it. And, don't worry, I'm very thorough when I wash my wands. Laugh
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Monday, February 2, 2009 6:46:28 AM

I'm glad it worked. Did you run into any trouble spots? Or anything not clear enough? Just let me know where...
Darth Percocet
Posted: Tuesday, February 3, 2009 2:06:20 PM

nah i think u explained it fine, i actually installed it perfect from the instuctions. im stupid lol & it took me long to get the maps but i think u were clear about it thanx..
Cecil Poppycock
Posted: Tuesday, February 3, 2009 2:52:25 PM

Great instructions! Thank you.

Now if we can just keep that VASSAL server from crashing. I was booted twice tonight and couldn't get back on for almost 5 minutes. I hope that they're ready for the traffic your detailed instructions are going to create.
Darth Percocet
Posted: Tuesday, February 3, 2009 4:32:42 PM

very good point
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Wednesday, February 4, 2009 2:38:00 AM

Sweet. Good to hear. Hope to see you all online sometime soon.
da_man
Posted: Friday, February 6, 2009 2:56:18 PM

Thanks for the help with VassalThumbsUp ThumbsUp BigGrin ThumbsUp
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 8:47:22 AM

New maps are available for download. (map pack #11)
Phishnuggets
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 3:56:24 AM

so who plays on vassal and whats your name? I wanna get an idea of how many ppl play. I know usually everytime i'm on theres at least someone on...even at 2 a.m.! But I would like to start playing a little more regularly. The ppl I play either wipe the floor with me or I wipe the floor with them so I wanna have some good battles and get better.....gotta train for GenCon! So yeah just give your name and usually when you play, if ya wanna. Im under either my bloomilk name or Matt M, and im on anywhere from 12p.m. to 2 a.m.( EST) depending on the day.
mercenary_moose
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 4:53:24 AM

I play sometimes on VASSAL. I usually play 200 point squads for fun, not competitively. I'm either on there on my Bloo Milk name or just under Derrick. Don't really know when I can play: I'm on pretty infrequently, but if you want to play me, just PM me and I'll see if I can make it work.
Slie
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 5:36:50 AM

Look for me soon!
billiv15
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 5:39:54 AM

I play often, and sit around and chat about the game even more often :) Same name as every other SWMs forum, Billiv15 :)
Cecil Poppycock
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 5:43:41 AM

I've played a couple of times with a guy from my LGS. I'll get up the nerve to play someone else someday. My availability depends on if I'm currently in a show or not. I'll be on under this name.