Legacy of the Bloo Side.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

BlooMilk Booster League Feedback/Suggestions Options
Demosthenes
Posted: Saturday, April 17, 2010 2:18:51 PM
Groups: Member

BlooMilk Booster League
Feedback, Suggestions, and Input

Hey everyone, this is just a thread for everyone to give opinions on the BM Booster League. You can let us know what you like, don't like, what's working, or what's not working. You can also give us any suggestions you might have for this season or for future seasons and we'd be more than happy to take your ideas into consideration.

In this space, I'll also be keeping track of the suggestions as they come forward, so we can talk openly about them, and turn the BM Booster League into one where everyone has input on the format, so that everyone has the most fun! BigGrin

I would just like to request that, if you have had issues with someone in a match, don't bring up their name. Just give us hypothetical situations where there might be an issue, and we can deal with it. Thanks!
Demosthenes
Posted: Sunday, April 18, 2010 7:20:20 AM

EVERYONE

Match Time Limit

It's been brought to my attention that many people are unsatisfied with the current 2 hour time limit with 200-point matches. I understand that, as the time limit was just an arbitrary one made by me because I knew 200 matches would take longer than 150. What I've decided is to reduce the time period. What I'm thinking is 80 minutes. Normal DCI matches have a 1-hour time limit, and the extra 20 minutes is to allow for the fact that VASSAL matches are inherently slower.

If you think that 80 minutes is too little, or too long, let me know and we can try and adjust the time period for next week and beyond. I apologize that rules have fluctuated so much for this League in the first few weeks, but we're new, and trying to get our bearings. Thanks!
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 9:57:26 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

So far I think it's going good. You guys are doing a good job with everything.

The one beef I have is with the randomness of the booster pulls. This is more of a rant than anything, but I just wanted to say that my pulls have been bad. I guess I can't complain too much, as I'm 2-2 right now, but I personally think it's too random.

What to do to change it? Not sure. Maybe offer a selection of boosters to choose from, perhaps per Era or something. Just throwing ideas out there...
R5Don4
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 1:07:59 PM

Random pulls are how boosters are as they should be.

I think at some point we should allow the Huge sets back in to the mix. So many great figures in those sets we are missing out on.
EmporerDragon
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 1:30:55 PM

Here's a thought regarding boosters as a possible variant: Instead of getting boosters after each match, players would get credits. They could then use the credits to purchase desired boosters. The boosters themselves would be priced depending on the competitiveness of the set (for instance, a RS booster would be around 5 credits, while a DT would be around 12).

The advantage would be that all players have access to all boosters and it adds a bit of strategy as a player would have to decide to splurge on the lesser sets or hoard their credits for the more powerful ones.
greentime
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 1:48:06 PM

EmporerDragon wrote:
Here's a thought regarding boosters as a possible variant: Instead of getting boosters after each match, players would get credits. They could then use the credits to purchase desired boosters. The boosters themselves would be priced depending on the competitiveness of the set (for instance, a RS booster would be around 5 credits, while a DT would be around 12).

The advantage would be that all players have access to all boosters and it adds a bit of strategy as a player would have to decide to splurge on the lesser sets or hoard their credits for the more powerful ones.

I love that. Really love it. It could make for a very unfortunate situation where the people with the best opening packs maintain their advantage the whole time by only buying the best packs, but that could easily be solved by pro-rating costs to record or just denying certain packs until you lose a game. Or careful costing.

It also lets you do stuff like, grab 5 AE boosters and open them all hoping to get one of the handful of decent pieces versus getting one IE and a JA and knowing that there is lots of good stuff that might come up. Plus it lets you reflect the fact that not all sets previous to Legacy are equal, nor are all sets after.

Yeah, love the idea, would be more than happy to help figure out what the prices should be.
EmporerDragon
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 2:29:41 PM

greentime wrote:

It could make for a very unfortunate situation where the people with the best opening packs maintain their advantage the whole time by only buying the best packs,

Though to counter that, by winning, they'd only be earning enough credits to get a "best" booster every 2-3 weeks, so they'll be at a disadvantage in overall collections.
Demosthenes
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 2:36:42 PM

Adding Huges and a Credit system are both very intriguing ideas - thank you for submitting them! Feel free to discuss the ideas further, and I'll put them on the docket for consideration going into the next season. Very cool! =)
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 1:36:44 AM

EmporerDragon wrote:

Funny that you mention that, because I have been working on that very concept. Sort of a spin-off from the GVL over on Gamers. BlooMilk
(might need some testers for this soon...I'll make a new thread)
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 2:32:54 AM

You wouldn't have to set prices arbitrarily. You could set up a market so the prices are self-correcting. That's be quite a bit more work, though.

Example:

After everyone chooses their starting boosters, the starting price could be the number of boosters chosen for that set, plus one (so that no booster costs zero). So if there were eight people and 16 total boosters selected, maybe the initial costs would be 1 for Rebel Storm (since no one selected it), and 10 for Dark Times (since a total of 9 Dark Times boosters were selected).

Every time a booster is purchased, the cost for that set goes up by one. Periodically (either every X days, after every X boosters are purchased, or based on some random criteria), all of the prices would fall by one at the same time. The price-drops would be to keep prices in the same neighborhood rather than constantly moving up.

Whatever set is most popular will be most expensive, while the less popular sets will become very cheap, allowing people to possibly buy multiple boosters from that set. For instance, in the above example you could buy 4 Rebel Storm boosters (1 + 2 + 3 + 4 = 10) or you could buy one Dark Times booster.
The Celestial Warrior
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 2:58:29 AM

This definately has some merit. Though I have to agree with hurkberry, that it should be a separate league of its own.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 3:14:46 AM

The Celestial Warrior wrote:
This definately has some merit. Though I have to agree with hurkberry, that it should be a separate league of its own.

Definitely - it's not something to try to implement in the middle of the season.
ArtemisCFrog43
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 5:09:24 AM

I would love to see huge sets get put back in, but the way things work right now the loser of a match would have access to all three of the huge sets (if I'm right in thinking that the first first 8 sets would go to losers and the last 8 would go to winners)

EDIT- got that totally backwards. That's what I get for being on BM at work and trying to post without getting caught :)
Demosthenes
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 6:34:44 AM

Actually, Legacy and everything newer goes to a Loser of a match, and everything before goes to the Winner. So if we offered Hues under the current alignment, only Winners would get Huge sets. Obviously we have to rectify that.
ArtemisCFrog43
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 6:46:54 AM

I realized that a little bit ago. Had it totally backwards.
EmporerDragon
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 6:51:43 AM

Demosthenes wrote:
Actually, Legacy and everything newer goes to a Loser of a match, and everything before goes to the Winner. So if we offered Hues under the current alignment, only Winners would get Huge sets. Obviously we have to rectify that.

Perhaps if a player goes 1-3 or 0-4 for a month, they are offered a choice between a huge booster or what they would normally get for the following week.
Demosthenes
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 6:54:24 AM

That's certainly something we could consider. =)
R5Don4
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 10:02:35 AM

ArtemisCFrog43 wrote:
I would love to see huge sets get put back in, but the way things work right now the loser of a match would have access to all three of the huge sets (if I'm right in thinking that the first first 8 sets would go to losers and the last 8 would go to winners)

EDIT- got that totally backwards. That's what I get for being on BM at work and trying to post without getting caught :)

I think Force Unleashed would be on the Legacy side of the Power level only available after losing a match. CotF, BH and A&E were designed together. TFU, Legacy and KotOR were designed together.

I like the credit system, but agree it might be best implemented from the beginning in another league.
Dean's original logic for excluding the Huge sets from the format was to avoid a power imbalance in the early matches because of the possibility of being able to pull 2 VRs/Rs in a single Huge booster. After a few rounds it really doesn't seem to matter that much though.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 10:52:46 AM

Don't count my vote for anything since I'm not in the BlooMilk league, but in general I'd very wary about changing the rules in the middle of anything. It seldom goes well. Bringing in huges and a credit system sounds like a great idea for the next league.
greentime
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 10:52:49 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
After everyone chooses their starting boosters, the starting price could be the number of boosters chosen for that set, plus one (so that no booster costs zero). So if there were eight people and 16 total boosters selected, maybe the initial costs would be 1 for Rebel Storm (since no one selected it), and 10 for Dark Times (since a total of 9 Dark Times boosters were selected).

Every time a booster is purchased, the cost for that set goes up by one. Periodically (either every X days, after every X boosters are purchased, or based on some random criteria), all of the prices would fall by one at the same time. The price-drops would be to keep prices in the same neighborhood rather than constantly moving up.

Whatever set is most popular will be most expensive, while the less popular sets will become very cheap, allowing people to possibly buy multiple boosters from that set. For instance, in the above example you could buy 4 Rebel Storm boosters (1 + 2 + 3 + 4 = 10) or you could buy one Dark Times booster.

That's really clever. I salute you! It is more work to keep track of, but if you only update the prices once per week, it should be OK.