Vassal Update Options
Sashlon
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 12:13:48 AM
Groups: Member

I can't get it working Crying
chiech22
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 12:24:45 AM

I posted this on Gamers, when you download the MOD file from the Holocron, you need to make sure that you navigate to your folder where the old MOD file was, and save the file to that folder. If you download the MOD file, and then move to it to that folder, you will get the 'Vassal does not recognize this file as a Vassal MOD file' message.

Like Nickname said, you should get a dialogue box that says, "are you sure you want to replace the existing file".

Sashlon
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 12:30:41 AM

I did it wrong then.

What now?
The Celestial Warrior
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 12:37:01 AM

Restore your old one and redo as stated above...
Sashlon
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 12:38:28 AM

lol TCW, deja vu
swinefeld
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 12:42:49 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Honestly, I can't see how overwriting the old file as opposed to removing it and placing the new file there would make any difference, unless it's some kind of Java weirdness.

Maybe the file is corrupted. I would say download it again, and save it directly to the Vassal folder this time, since that is apparently the recommended method.

I haven't updated yet, so I'll test it both ways and see what happens.
Sashlon
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 12:45:38 AM

It still doesnt work Sad
wannabe mexican
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 1:04:38 AM

Just download it into the download file. Then cut and paste it into the file where you have your SWMinis mod 9.0. The computer will ask if you want to replace it and you say yes. That is how I did it.
chiech22
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 1:24:07 AM

swinefeld wrote:
Honestly, I can't see how overwriting the old file as opposed to removing it and placing the new file there would make any difference, unless it's some kind of Java weirdness.

Maybe the file is corrupted. I would say download it again, and save it directly to the Vassal folder this time, since that is apparently the recommended method.

I haven't updated yet, so I'll test it both ways and see what happens.

I agree in principle, but I can only relate to what happened with me. And it happened multiple times until I downloaded it directly to the folder where the MOD was. The only technical thing that I can think of is when you left click on the link on the Holocron as opposed to right clicking and Saving as, changes the file somehow.

It was OK though, the wife was catching up on 90210 shows on the DVR last night, so needless to say I had no problem tinkering with Vassal for a time.Smile
TheStarkiller
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 1:38:26 AM

Because it is a stand alone file (includes all of the maps) you don't actually need to put it where your old file was.

All you have to do is:
1. download the file
http://www.the-holocron.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=36&func=select&id=3
2. find where you downloaded the file

3. put it somewhere where you will remember it (I always put it in my vassal file)

4. Then use vassal to open up your file.

Darth Percocet
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 12:01:39 PM

Ok hate to be the Dunski of the clique here but i just tried to download it & its saying its an invalid mod when i try to open it... So a few questions would clearify this for me...

Now do i have to save this file where my old one is? Do i have to download it to the folder my 9.0 mod is or can i download it somewhere else?

& also, if i have to download it to the same folder my 9.0 is in, can i just overwrite the old one or do i have to delete the old one & then download the mod when the old is deleted?
NickName
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 12:10:52 PM

Darth Percocet wrote:

Now do i have to save this file where my old one is?

Nope, but it's probably the best and easiest way to do it.

Quote:
Do i have to download it to the folder my 9.0 mod is?

Nope, but it's probably the best and easiest way to do it.

Quote:
if i have to download it to the same folder my 9.0 is in, can i just overwrite the old one or do i have to delete the old one & then download the mod when the old is deleted?

Either is fine, but doing the overwrite of a previously working one confirms you got the filename.ext all perfect.

Also, a more general thing, make sure the file you got is about 33MB just like the file on the Web. If it's only 10MB for you or something, that's an obvious bad download.
Darth Percocet
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 12:14:00 PM

Alright sounds good im gonna try it right now, really appreciate it NickName, thanx man..
Darth Percocet
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 12:27:48 PM

Ok so what i did was just went over to the holocron & made an account & went there to DL it because when i downloaded it at first off that link it only downloded about 3.5mb so as you said was a bad download. So this way i actually got an account over there which is good cuz i didnt know that site was there, so killed 2 birds one stone..

Its downloading now & ill let you know the verdict when done, thanx again i really appreciate you takin the time out to explain it to me man..

:::EDIT::: Nope it is still downloading to 3.5MB's & still saying it is an invalid mod, it wont exceed the 3.5 in downloading... i overwrited my old 9.0 Mod & i saved it in the same folder ovbiously lol as my old mod & still nothing, any idea's of why from anyone would be appreciated thanx people.. & thanx again NickName for taking the time
Darth Percocet
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 1:49:07 PM

Man this sucks, i just tried to download it every way i can think of & still isnt working, i overwrite my 9.0 mod file & now im left with no working SWM's mod file, which sucks because i got a Booster league game tomorrow, if anyone out there has the 9.0 file (because it isnt on the vassal site anymore dunno why) & they can send me it i would really appreciate it, so i can play my booster league game tomorrow, just untill i figure out what to do... so any help i would really appreciate it, i know im startin to bug haha but really would appreiate it thanx people
headache62
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 1:56:53 PM

Do I need to download the map packets again? My old computer crashed recently, and I just reinstalled Vassal on my new system - I can run the Mod, but I don't see any maps at all.
curler88j
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 3:31:47 PM

I think i finally have Vassel working all i need is too test it with someone, and get the map extensions anyone know where i find those?
markedman247
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 3:39:53 PM

Those are on the Vassalengine.org website under Star Wars Miniature Skirmish module.

My question is why isn't this Mod on the Vassal Site?
wannabe mexican
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 5:54:42 PM

markedman247 wrote:
Those are on the Vassalengine.org website under Star Wars Miniature Skirmish module.

My question is why isn't this Mod on the Vassal Site?

The guys who normally do it haven't had the time yet. Nickname just threw it up on the Holocron as a temporary thing.
dnemiller
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 7:46:09 PM

ok guys for those of you having trouble with your new vassal mod file because it is not downloading.

I will make this simple for you.

Catch me on skype later today probably in about 12 hours or so or in the evening.

there is a nifty feature on skype where you can send a file.

So if your download is not working I can try to send you the proper file and go about it that way.

My user name on skype is the same as here.