RegisterDonateLogin

Can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Vassal Update Options
NickName
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 1:55:20 AM
Groups: Member

wannabe mexican wrote:
markedman247 wrote:
Those are on the Vassalengine.org website under Star Wars Miniature Skirmish module.

My question is why isn't this Mod on the Vassal Site?

The guys who normally do it haven't had the time yet. Nickname just threw it up on the Holocron as a temporary thing.

Nope. I'm the guy who puts it on the VASSAL site as well.

VASSAL's site has a filesize limit which the MOD now exceeds. So the only option until they upgrade their server with more storage space is to host it elsewhere like many other MODs do.
NickName
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 2:02:10 AM

headache62 wrote:
Do I need to download the map packets again? My old computer crashed recently, and I just reinstalled Vassal on my new system - I can run the Mod, but I don't see any maps at all.

You only need them if you want some of the very obscure maps before I repackage them. All the WotC maps, and all the common 3rd party maps (like JCs's, Chris Wests, and so on) are in the main MOD file now. I haven't seen any of the others played in years, but I will make them available again in the near future since it's easy and maybe someone somewhere will play them. There's also a few combo maps I want to make like Nightclub+Coruscant Streets into a single large map.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 2:02:32 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Thanks for the info Jason.
Can we get a direct link to the location posted here?
NickName
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 2:07:13 AM

Darth Percocet wrote:
Man this sucks, i just tried to download it every way i can think of & still isnt working, i overwrite my 9.0 mod file & now im left with no working SWM's mod file, which sucks because i got a Booster league game tomorrow, if anyone out there has the 9.0 file (because it isnt on the vassal site anymore dunno why) & they can send me it i would really appreciate it, so i can play my booster league game tomorrow, just untill i figure out what to do... so any help i would really appreciate it, i know im startin to bug haha but really would appreiate it thanx people

The 9.0 file was killed on the VASSAL site when I tried to replace it with the 10.0 file which failed due to size.
LoboStele
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 3:08:42 AM

NickName wrote:
There's also a few combo maps I want to make like Nightclub+Coruscant Streets into a single large map.

Oh, this would be awesome!

If you could do some combo ones like with JC's Mos Eisley or Coruscant maps as well that might be pretty cool. Or MM's Train Station/Shipping Center maps. Fun stuff!
TheStarkiller
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 4:39:17 AM

Percocet:

Is it possible that you are closing your internet browser before the download is complete? (Mozilla will stop downloading unless the program is active) Also, there might be a problem with a program limiting the size of downloads. (I don't know of anything like this for the main browser programs (IE, Netscape, Mozilla, Chrome) but it is always possible.)
I guess what I am getting down to is this: I don't think it is a problem with the Vassal program or the location of the file. I think it is something else.

If you can list what browser you are using, what kind of internet access you have (dial-up/broadband/etcetera) and a few other things, someone might be able to help you get this thing set before your game today.

(I ask for the internet access because it takes me a good 2.5 minutes to download the file, despite my 8 mb/s download cable connection)
Darth Percocet
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 6:25:28 AM

TheStarkiller wrote:
Percocet:

Is it possible that you are closing your internet browser before the download is complete? (Mozilla will stop downloading unless the program is active) Also, there might be a problem with a program limiting the size of downloads. (I don't know of anything like this for the main browser programs (IE, Netscape, Mozilla, Chrome) but it is always possible.)
I guess what I am getting down to is this: I don't think it is a problem with the Vassal program or the location of the file. I think it is something else.

If you can list what browser you are using, what kind of internet access you have (dial-up/broadband/etcetera) and a few other things, someone might be able to help you get this thing set before your game today.

(I ask for the internet access because it takes me a good 2.5 minutes to download the file, despite my 8 mb/s download cable connection)

Thanx Starkiller & Nickname for helping me out, ok when im downloading it i do as i did the other mods, just go to download & it wont exceed now 2.96 mb's, i tried every which way to DL it, overwrite, different location,restarting my pc & then trying but still the same. & as NickName pointed out if it isnt 33mb's then its a bad download so thats probably why Vassal wont open it & is saying its an Invalid Mod file.

Ok im actually working off of a Dial-up connection, & i use AOL for my internet, but can also go on IE

Also i do have a laptop with a wireless clear connection so do you think that maybe if i downloaded it on my laptop & then sent the file to my dial-up pc, would it go through that way? i mean its worrth a shot, & basically is there anything in my pc that is stopping the download maybe like a prefrence or option that only allows me to download a certain amount of a file? Wondering if anyone ever heard of something like that & maybe would have the solution...

Also thanx Dean for helping us tonight who need help, 1 question is what is Skype & how do i get on? I will deff be there to see if maybe you could help me, thanx so much to everyone attemping to help, this is a great community & always people try helping eachother which why we are the best community.. So thanx to everyone in advance..
EmporerDragon
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 6:34:11 AM

Yeah, download it using a faster internet connection if you have access to it. Trying to download a 33 MB file on dial-up would take at least an hour and a half.
Darth Percocet
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 6:40:01 AM

EmporerDragon wrote:
Yeah, download it using a faster internet connection if you have access to it. Trying to download a 33 MB file on dial-up would take at least an hour and a half.

Yea i know & at times it does drive me crazy haha, but i had the dial-up for about 11 years now so im a little used to it, but just recent got my notebook laptop & using the connection on this is ridiculously fast so im gettin used to this now ya know haha.. problem is my girlfriend dont like me DL anything on this so im gonna have to do it when she isnt home & then try sending it to my PC to try to DL it that way.. so hopefully it works... but i hear ya emp, for a 33m it might even take about 2 hours lol.... but hey anything that works....
Darth Percocet
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 6:51:20 AM

Hey Dean i created a skype so im gonna put you under my contacts buddy & ill be checkin for you on there today, thanx again so much man, really cool of you to take the time to help us... good lookin
NickName
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 7:24:39 AM

Darth Percocet wrote:

Thanx Starkiller & Nickname for helping me out, ok when im downloading it i do as i did the other mods, just go to download & it wont exceed now 2.96 mb's, i tried every which way to DL it, overwrite, different location,restarting my pc & then trying but still the same. & as NickName pointed out if it isnt 33mb's then its a bad download so thats probably why Vassal wont open it & is saying its an Invalid Mod file.

This is pretty lowbrow, but the way it's so consistently a specific small size are you sure the drive you're trying to save it on has 70+ MB of free space?

You generally need double the size of a file of free space to download it.

And, assuming it's not that, yeah, downloading to another PC with a faster connection and copying it onto a flash drive or something to move it over should be a workaround with a high likelyhood of success.
Darth Percocet
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 9:29:19 AM

Yea i checked the space & i have plenty of room for it, but still no go, so yea im gonna try the Downloading on my new laptop & just getting it to my pc via flash drive, thats what i figured it should work smoothly, i just cant figure out what it is, ive downloaded stuff plenty of times & never had this problem... so i have no clue what it is ha... Thanx for everything NickName...
wannabe mexican
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 10:37:55 PM

Hmm. So after all my talk. I just tried to syncronise into a game using the Grand Plaza map and I couldn't see the map. But I can start my own game with the map up. Any ideas what that means?
swinefeld
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 10:50:01 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

wannabe mexican wrote:
Hmm. So after all my talk. I just tried to syncronise into a game using the Grand Plaza map and I couldn't see the map. But I can start my own game with the map up. Any ideas what that means?

I recall reading something about incompatibility with maps between people running the new and older versions of the mod file - but that if you still have the old map extension files in the proper location it should work.

I think I read that in the thread on Gamers, though it might have been mentioned on Bloo as well.
wannabe mexican
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2010 12:49:16 AM

swinefeld wrote:
wannabe mexican wrote:

I recall reading something about incompatibility with maps between people running the new and older versions of the mod file - but that if you still have the old map extension files in the proper location it should work.

I think I read that in the thread on Gamers, though it might have been mentioned on Bloo as well.

Literally all I did was replace the Mod file. Ah it doesn't matter. I am busy anyway and can wait for people to update their mods...
NickName
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2010 2:04:54 AM

The maps that were only in the main 9.0 MOD file (about 5-6 of the original early WotC maps including Death Star and Grand Plaza) will not be compatable with the maps in the 10.0 MOD file. Everything else will be in the extramaps extensions and identical between the two when the 10.0 user syncs.
Demosthenes
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2010 2:07:51 AM

So the moral of the story is to spread the word about the 10.0 Mod File to anyone you play with, to ensure that future headaches are avoided!

Thankfully I've avoided any compatibility issues thus far, and have avoided any problems with Vassal in general since I started playing. It's a first that my computer doesn't give me problems over something, lol.
wannabe mexican
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2010 2:14:10 AM

So basically some of my maps will work with 9.0 users and some won't? That is cool. Just have to make sure I play 10.0 people then.
NickName
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2010 9:03:06 AM

Yup. It's the same situation with the MotF pieces in reverse. We've found that the transition period is pretty quick because everyone wants the new pieces. There's a bit of pain during the transition but once everyone is over to 10 the changes are going to be a real positive.