RegisterDonateLogin

Expresses its true feelings for you in the South Passage.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Sep. 25th - Event @ Big Larry's Comic Book Cafe in Leonardtown, MD! Options
Demosthenes
Posted: Friday, August 13, 2010 9:14:27 PM
Groups: Member

September 25th Star Wars Minis Event!

Where: Big Larry's Comic Book Cafe
22745 Washington Street
Leonardtown, MD 20650
(http://www.aardvarkreturns.com/)
When: September 25th, 12-8pm
Format:
First - 200-point Standard DCI-rules Tournament (3/2/0 scoring). Restricted Map List. Four 45-minute rounds of Swiss, and a winner is named.
Second - Tiered Mystery Map Tournament
Special Rules:
- All matches will be played on our Mystery Maps, which you will find out about when you get to the venue!
- You will build a 100-point squad. You will play 1 match with this 100-point squad. Then, you will have to add 50 points to your previously-created 100-point squad and will then play 1 matches at 150. Then, you will add another 50 points and play 2 final matches at 200 points.
Cost of Attendance: $5

I also would like to go out to dinner after the event if anyone's willing. I know it's a long drive for most of you after such a long event, but I feel like it'd be something fun to do since we probably won't see each other for a while after this.

If anyone needs a place to crash that night or the night before, just let me know and we'll arrange something. You'll likely either be staying at my place, or potentially somewhere on-campus at St. Mary's College with someone from our play group.
Weeks
Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2010 2:45:47 AM

this may be something i would check out id need to know when though.
Demosthenes
Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2010 2:59:27 AM

Well the "when" is subject to whenever we can get the most people down here, so when is best for you?
Jester007
Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2010 10:56:23 AM

Well, I'm @ Celebration V right now, and next weekend is my brother's b-day. I think I can do itg as early as the last weekend in August. Not sure about my schedule after that. I'll let you know when things firm up.

Sincerely,
Jester007
Jedicartographer
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 12:01:00 AM

Definitley in for events at St Mary's college, just give me a couple weeks warning.

Demosthenes
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 10:02:47 AM

Awesome, will do. And if you know of anyone else who wants to come, just ask them to BM me. This is looking like it's gonna be fun! =)
Jester007
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 11:20:03 AM

Just curious, what's the format going to be? Straight 150, 200? Or do we want to do some crazy stuff like no CEs, Melee only, Savage only, etc.?

Sincerely,
Jester007
Demosthenes
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 11:23:36 AM

We haven't decided on what we're running, as we want to get input from all those attending as to what they would rather play: something competitive or something with a little pizazz, lol. So if you have any requests, feel free!
spryguy1981
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 1:46:16 PM

Ok, if you do end up putting something together I would prefer it to be a multi-event day simply because it will take myself and any of my group 6-7 hours to get up there. I generally need about month though to prepare because of asking off two days (most likely) etc.

Spry
Demosthenes
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2010 8:38:07 AM

We'll see what we can do, Mr. Spry. =)

I got a hold of some of the Baltimore guys, and they're down with the idea, so hopefully we cann all make this a big event!
Eroschilles
Posted: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 2:23:46 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I think I should be able to attend ;)

I like the idea of a multi-event day. I've got a list of formats in my head that I could share and are sorta interesting. How does around the second week in September sound? Would that be enough time for people to get to SMCM?
Demosthenes
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 6:04:14 AM

Yeah, I think 2nd or 3rd week in September is about where we're aiming for this event, and a multi-event day sounds great. I was thinking of something more competitive, then maybe 1 or 2 things that are more fun-oriented, such as scenarios, Dynamic Duo, or Team events.

What do you guys think?
spryguy1981
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 11:32:12 AM

Hey, 3rd weekend or 4th weekend of September would work best for me that way I have plenty of time to request off of work for the 2 days I will need. Let me know.

Spry
Demosthenes
Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2010 12:43:54 PM

Well I talked to my play group and it seems that Saturday, September 25th will be the date we're aiming for. I'll be contacting each of the groups I've been in touch with about this event to get the word out. Tell everyone! We're hoping to have a big event for our first one. =)
Weeks
Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2010 1:08:09 PM

Ill pass this on to the Atlanta group hopefully some of us can make it!
Demosthenes
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 5:07:06 AM

That sounds great! More people is always better. =D

Also, if anyone needs to crash on Saturday night, my place is available for a few people. I can also talk to some people in the play group as well, since they live on campus and there are always places to crash on a college campus. Anyone just let me know if you need a place to sleep.
spryguy1981
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 6:40:09 AM

Hey,

Sat, Sept 25 sounds good to me, what are the odds of making it a 2-Day event both Sat 25, and Sun 26. Here is what I am thinking, 200pt Constructed to be the main draw, some sort of team event like we had at GenCon preferably 200pts, Dynamic Duo, and Tile Wars. This is your event though, I am just offering input. I would also be willing to judge a couple of events too so that Jim or someone else would be free to play. Also, what do you plan on for prize support, theoretically I can buy several boosters if needed and then go from there.

Let me know!
Spry
Demosthenes
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 12:58:51 PM

Matt - Thanks for the input! I love getting ideas from people because it saves me some leg-work, lol. I'll put out some feelers to see if people want to have a multi-day event. The problem there is that everyone coming to the event is coming from several hours out, and so we'd have to find places for them all to stay, and I'm not sure they'd all be comfortable with that. But I could be wrong!

As for prize support, we figured a few things: 1) Raid the local Target of all of their stock of SWM. Also has the added benefit of forcing them to restock so I can get another Felcor! lol. 2) Order a case of MotF or DT from an online store, and use that. It would be easy, cheaper, but would lack variety. 3) Modify either option 1 or 2 by adding some maps purchased from Matt Franchella.

I also contacted the store today and they said the store gets busy on Saturdays, but because I contacted them so early, they can set aside enough tables for us. Oh and this store has the added benefit of also being an ice cream shop, lol. The store is open 12-9 on Saturdays, so our event would have to run within the confines of that time frame.
Demosthenes
Posted: Tuesday, September 7, 2010 7:18:23 AM

Updated with near-final itinerary of the Event, yay!
creme_brule
Posted: Tuesday, September 7, 2010 8:20:03 AM

dnag it--why cant anything cool like this happen near LA?? Sneaky ThumbDown sounds great tho wish i could be there...