it's official, I'll be there.

Demosthenes
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2010 5:52:04 AM
Groups: Member

Yes!! I'm excited. BigGrin
Demosthenes
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2010 7:10:42 AM

Less than 2 weeks out now - excellent! =)
Eroschilles
Posted: Thursday, September 16, 2010 9:54:40 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I scouted out the shop today and everything is still a go for next week. Hopefully we can get regular events going there after this, mabye weekly or bi-monthly. Would anyone be interested in doing such a thing, or is the commute too much of a killer?
Darth_Jim
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 10:01:17 PM

communte is a killer for me to be there on a regular basis, but once every couple of months? That may be doable. I still haven't heard from my group as to who is coming with me. I know Evman678 would were it not for his band committments. The other guys...just don't know.

Dinner afterwards will depend on when the tournament ends and who comes with me. Where to eat? Better not make it Hooters, or you'll need to provide a place for Matt and I to crash lol. (Although Matt closed it out at GenCon while I left earlier)
Darth_Jim
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 10:03:50 PM

What are the latest thoughts on format and cost?
Demosthenes
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 10:46:33 PM

I think Ted meant twice-monthly, not bi-monthly, lol, but we'd be happy to have people show up whenever they can. As for dinner, there are a few places right nearby the place, I'll scope it out more thoroughly this weekend.

As for cost, I'm not sure I can pin it down yet because I don't have final numbers on how many will be there, and also am not sure the cost of the boosters since our store owner had to send out for some boosters since he had nothing in-store. I'm assuming the boosters will cost less than 10 bucks each, though I have not yet decided how much prize support we'll need. Suffice to say it shouldn't cost too much. Bring 10 bucks and you'll have more than enough, lol.
Eroschilles
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 8:14:47 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Nah, I totally meant bi-monthly, in the semi-monthly sense, like twice a month. Evidently I just talk funny and use words' secondary definitions more than their primary definitions. But yeah....
Darth_Jim
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 10:50:37 PM

And is the format the same? 100, then add to make 150, then add to make 200? Make sure Ted doesn't answer this one, as his secondary definition answers will only confuse this old geezer all the more lol.
Demosthenes
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 11:13:17 PM

Yep, same format. And to answer a question I got earlier: Your squad doesn't have to be exactly 100 to begin with. If, for example, it's 99 points, you can still add 51 points to make it 150, I won't short you any points, lol.
Firespray
Posted: Sunday, September 19, 2010 4:23:01 AM

Hey,
I used to play with the group up in Fallston, but I heard the store there closed. I've been deployed, but am coming home soon, and am wondering if there is a group in that area that is meeting on a regular basis. Anywhere DC/Balt is great.
Demosthenes
Posted: Sunday, September 19, 2010 4:35:27 AM

I'm not sure that there's a group that regularly meets up there, but Tom is still up in that area if you want to try and contact him to see if you can get something started. In the meanwhile, you're always welcome to come down to St. Mary's County and play with us, even if it is a hike. I promise we'll make it worth it! lol
Darth_Jim
Posted: Sunday, September 19, 2010 4:48:41 AM

And we're 60-75 minutes north of Fallston, so you're more than welcome to join us anytime. Thank you for your service to our country.
Darth_Jim
Posted: Sunday, September 19, 2010 11:49:52 AM

Any word from the Virginia boys? And what say ye, North Carolina guys? Get everything worked out? Just 2 words for the Jedi Cartographer: Wheat beer.
Demosthenes
Posted: Sunday, September 19, 2010 12:52:30 PM

I've got confirmation from Ian and Kris (DarthMalus) and Kris says he's bringing some friends. Haven't heard back from Weeks or Spry but I'll try and contact them to see where they're at with their situations.

We'll be sharing the store with players who will be there for the Magic Pre-Release Tournament so it will be busy, but we'll have plenty of room for our stuff. The shop owner, Larry, is a great guy who moved other events around because he understood it was important to get our group off with a bang, and I know I am certainly thankful for that!

If anyone needs to make arrangements for a place to stay just BM me. I'll also be BMing you guys my cell number in case you need to contact me. Best of luck getting down here!
Firespray
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 6:07:45 AM

Hey Jim, Remember me? I'm Ben. I came up your way once for a open box tourney, and played with you a few times when you came down to fallston. So is Tom looking for a new spot in the Balt area? It seemed like there was a pretty good group going there for the time that I played with them before I deployed. Also, are you still holding a group on saturdays in PA? I'm not 100% sure what my schedule is going to be like when I get back, but would love to start playing again. I had a lot of fun before.
Darth_Jim
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 11:06:06 AM

Yeah, Ben, I remember you. Well, to be honest, I remember we'd played, I remembered that you were going into the service and would be away from the game for awhile, I just couldn't remember your name. Sucks to get old. I'm drinking green tea and everything to avoid memory loss lol.

Our Saturday schedule is sporadic. Sometimes we meet at my house, once a month we meet at the store. So, feel free to BM me when you get situated so we can coordinate our schedules.

Tom has been busy with work, but yes, he was looking to get a location for a group there. It's a shame that so many kids that went to that store can't be contacted... there was an enthusiastic core of players there.

Good to hear from you.
Jedicartographer
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 10:43:01 PM

Looks like I won't be there, now. I'm sorryCrying
Demosthenes
Posted: Thursday, September 23, 2010 12:40:30 PM

UPDATES!

Format updates: Rounds will be 45 minutes each. For the 200 tournament we'll play 4 rounds of Swiss, then determine a winner. For the Tiered Tournament, we'll play 1 round of 100, 1 round of 150, and 2 rounds of 200, then determine a winner for that. These changes were made so we could fit both events within the time allotted.

Cost Update: $5 per person, and this will cover you for both events. There won't be a ton of prize support, as I'm expecting a more experienced crowd to be coming to this event, but there WILL be a Map Pack 4 as a prize for the Tiered Tournament, donated by Jedi Cartographer so that's certainly something!
Darth_Jim
Posted: Thursday, September 23, 2010 8:46:14 PM

Thanks for the clarification...that should work. Allowing even 15 minutes between matches we should be able to get everything in.