RegisterDonateLogin

Smoother than a Twi'lek's dance moves.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

New Vassal League Options
cicrush13
Posted: Tuesday, December 7, 2010 3:49:09 AM
Groups: Member

Alright guys (and girls) the holiday season is upon us and I would like to start another league once the holidays are done. I'm looking for some ideas on what we could do.

So far the options are:

-repeat of Tile Wars Booster League
-renew the Bloomilk Booster League
-start Dynamic Duo League (would require selecting DD ahead of time)
-Fantastic Four (or as I like to say Fearsome Foursome) (would also require selected pieces)
-DOTF Boster league (would include DOTF pieces in place of some figures in booster)
-OTHER???

I'm open to suggestions and would love to get something going with 8-12 players in the league.

Please feel free to shoot me a BM or post on here any ideas. I just want some committed players in the league, that's all I ask.
Segastorm
Posted: Tuesday, December 7, 2010 11:53:24 AM

A dynamic duo league sounds good
buttcabbge
Posted: Tuesday, December 7, 2010 1:04:48 PM

Duo sounds a little thin for me for a league--I mean, it's always a bit of a hassle to find the time when both guys can play, and then once you do, to have it just be a duo game that's over in 15 minutes might seem like a bit of a letdown. That said, I do enjoy the duo format, so I'm not totally opposed.

I guess I'd just like to see another booster league of some sort. If it's a booster league that incorporates DOTF, then all the better.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Tuesday, December 7, 2010 10:25:44 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

DOTF league would be nice to help kick off the set and get people up to speed on the characters.
cicrush13
Posted: Tuesday, December 7, 2010 11:02:18 PM

I'm trying to think of how you can do booster of DOTF. Unless I hand pick the figures going out, there's no easy way to do that. Since DOTF doesn't follow the normal distribution of rarity it makes it hard to dish out figures in "booster" format.

So let me throw a couple of options out there:

1. Pick boosters initially, once boosters have been selected and opened by moderator, they will select (at random) 2 DOTF pieces to add to that person's collection.

2. Pick boosters initially. Play first week with currect figures and have the option of a real booster or a random assortment of DOTF figures (3-5) in place of the booster. You will still receive 7 figures, the remaining pieces would be existing figures from random sets to fill in the rest of the booster. (So you could possibly get 2 rares, but no more that 2 UC and 4 C).

3. Pure DOTF league. This would require that players will draft figures into their team. The best way to do this is to literally have everyone on Vassal at the same time and we roll to see who would get the first roll to pick. There would be 3 rounds, each containing 20 figures. Each person would roll the dice and would get the figure which has the number they rolled. Could be interesting to say the least.

What do you guys think?
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Tuesday, December 7, 2010 11:56:47 PM

I guess you would have to wait and see the whole set before you could figure out what the breakdown of the characters is going to be like. Not much else you can do if you want to treat them like boosters.
cicrush13
Posted: Wednesday, December 8, 2010 12:28:59 AM

From what I already know this will not follow the regular distribution. Most of the previews have been uniques (or only allowed to use 1 yammosk). It could be interesting to "build" boosters from figures from every set.
wannabe mexican
Posted: Wednesday, December 8, 2010 3:57:45 AM

I was under the impression the new minis were going to be given rarity ratings so people could do booster leagues and release events.
cicrush13
Posted: Wednesday, December 8, 2010 4:12:46 AM

wannabe mexican wrote:
I was under the impression the new minis were going to be given rarity ratings so people could do booster leagues and release events.

They will be given rarity, but it wont be the 8 VR, 8 R, 12 UC and 12 C. I don't remember what the distribution was for 60 character sets, but it will not follow that.
buttcabbge
Posted: Wednesday, December 8, 2010 9:10:58 AM

I believe I read on Gamers that someone was working on developing rules for how to build your own boosters. And really, if they're assigned rarities, all you have to do is assign each piece a number from 1-whatever within each rarity group, and then use a D20 to roll out 1 R/VR, 2 UC's, and 4 C's, and boom, you've got a booster. Obviously there's a bit of work up-front, but once you've got the chart built, it wouldn't take that long to do.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 4:30:53 AM

They will have assigned rarities for booster leagues - hopefully they get into the booster generator here. I wouldn't play DOTF on Vassal until after it's loaded in the BM database, though.

My vote would be for a booster league or for Fantastic Four.

Or for "Surprise Synergy" or whatever it was called. Each person brings 2 100-pt squads. Simultaneously each person selects one squad from the opponent's 2 options. Then you use the squad you selected from your opponent combined with the leftover squad that you brought. So you could bring 2 crappy squads or 2 great squads - as long as they're even it should work out. If you bring 1 great one and 1 crappy one, of course you'd get stuck with your crappy one.
cicrush13
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 5:31:32 AM

I'm thinking we do either a straight up booster league with current figures only (no DOTF) or we go towards a booster league that has boosters randomized. The boosters would include figures from every set including DOTF. This will take some more time on my end to put the boosters together, but will be quite a change from the norm.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 5:40:44 AM

cicrush13 wrote:
I'm thinking we do either a straight up booster league with current figures only (no DOTF) or we go towards a booster league that has boosters randomized. The boosters would include figures from every set including DOTF. This will take some more time on my end to put the boosters together, but will be quite a change from the norm.

One thing you could do for boosters randomized across sets...

For each of 7 figures, roll for a set, get a random booster, take the appropriate figure from that booster (R/UC/C). That's 14 times more per booster, but it might be easier than setting something up offline - depends on how many boosters you end up passing out.
creme_brule
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 3:11:55 PM

as a general suggestion im not trying to be offensive or mean or anything but i would consider for whatever league you decided that you take players that are truly commited to playing their games...from my own experience as both a league master and player ive found that un-commited players (again; no offense meant) usually disrupt the whole league. A player that i know is commited personally is SuperYodaMan; R5Don4; and wannabeemexican. Demothesnes too. Just a thought
EmporerDragon
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 3:20:07 PM

creme_brule wrote:
i would consider for whatever league you decided that you take players that are truly commited to playing their games...from my own experience as both a league master and player ive found that un-commited players (again; no offense meant) usually disrupt the whole league.

Agreed. Everything simply runs smoother when both players are actively trying to communicate and get their game in.

Anyhoo, as for the next league, I'd like to see a peasant or Dynamic Duo league.
wannabe mexican
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 6:37:31 PM

creme_brule wrote:
as a general suggestion im not trying to be offensive or mean or anything but i would consider for whatever league you decided that you take players that are truly commited to playing their games...from my own experience as both a league master and player ive found that un-commited players (again; no offense meant) usually disrupt the whole league. A player that i know is commited personally is SuperYodaMan; R5Don4; and wannabeemexican. Demothesnes too. Just a thought

It is a shame about your OSBL Creme. I was really enjoying playing it.
TheStarkiller
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 11:38:34 PM

As you can probably tell, I have a couple of events created for Friday and Sunday (Since I get off of work on friday, and I wanted to run a couple of events). I am testing out a theory of getting people together all at once to play instead of going through a hundred e-mails (bloomails) to set up a time and a date.

My point. I would love to see a Booster league where everyone could just agree on a time during the week (or bi-weekly, or whatever) to get online and play out their games. Not only could you then play 2 or 3 games in a week (since everyone is right there at the same time), but there would be absolutely no confusion of missing games. I understand that we all have different schedules and live all around the world, but I do this with my RPG group every saturday night, and not only is it great to have the whole group be able to talk to each other (on skype, or vent, or whatever) but it also feels much more like an in-person tournament.
creme_brule
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2010 12:02:01 PM

wannabe mexican wrote:
creme_brule wrote:

It is a shame about your OSBL Creme. I was really enjoying playing it.

ya, i know. Bored Bored I guess live and learn is what I learned, lol
cicrush13
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2010 1:47:11 AM

I wish the world was in such a way that we all lived in the same time zone and had the same free time where we could play 3-4 games at a time. Sadly that can't be.

@ED - Dynamic Duo would be fun, would def need some more support from the community in order to go this route though.

Can I just get a feeling of where everyone stands?

Please reply with what type of league you would most likely participate in.
buttcabbge
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2010 8:23:33 AM

Honestly, Crush, whatever you run I'll play in it. That said, I really like booster league formats, so I'd probably be most excited about that.

@creme: I hear you on that--it is annoying to have a league with people who don't play. It seems, though, that the only ways to address the issue are to do an invitational league (which has the problem of not really giving new people a chance to get involved) or to refuse to let past offenders into a league (which requires a commish who is willing to be the bad guy). I'm not saying that we shouldn't necessarily do one of these things, but there is a trade-off involved.