RegisterDonateLogin

Caamasi Noble: "Im in ur Gambit Zone, scoring ur Victory Points."

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

New Vassal League Options
TheStarkiller
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2010 8:36:44 AM
Groups: Member

cicrush13 wrote:
I wish the world was in such a way that we all lived in the same time zone and had the same free time where we could play 3-4 games at a time. Sadly that can't be.

@ED - Dynamic Duo would be fun, would def need some more support from the community in order to go this route though.

Can I just get a feeling of where everyone stands?

Please reply with what type of league you would most likely participate in.

Of course we don't live in the same time zone. In my RPG group, only 3 of us live in eastern. 3 live in the pacific time zone and 2 people live in Japan.
And of course we wouldn't spend 4 hours online, that takes friendship much closer than a bunch of people who only know each other through the internet.

My point is to meet for your 1 game at a set time each week (no need for the scheduling nightmare that is most Vassal tournaments). If somebody doesn't show up, then there might be a person who would have gotten a bye or whose partner also didn't show up that you can play with.

The most annoying thing for vassal tournaments for me was getting to the place on time, waiting for 30 minutes, and not getting to play my game of Star Wars Minis after I specifically scheduled my day to allow me time to.
EmporerDragon
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2010 2:26:56 PM

TheStarkiller wrote:

My point is to meet for your 1 game at a set time each week (no need for the scheduling nightmare that is most Vassal tournaments). If somebody doesn't show up, then there might be a person who would have gotten a bye or whose partner also didn't show up that you can play with.

The problem with a setup like that is it prevents anyone with a variable schedule from playing. It'd also prevent anyone in Europe from playing unless they gamed in the middle of the night.

If the games were set up like that I'd miss out half the matches minimum simply because my availability varies drastically from week to week (Full-time retail).
cicrush13
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2010 10:49:35 PM

EmporerDragon wrote:
TheStarkiller wrote:

The problem with a setup like that is it prevents anyone with a variable schedule from playing. It'd also prevent anyone in Europe from playing unless they gamed in the middle of the night.

If the games were set up like that I'd miss out half the matches minimum simply because my availability varies drastically from week to week (Full-time retail).

I'm with ya there. I typically have a few nights free, but may need the flexibility to move my game nights around.

wannabe mexican
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2010 11:26:14 PM

EmporerDragon wrote:
TheStarkiller wrote:

Yeah I played one of my games at 2am my time because we had trouble finding times where we were both available and considering time difference.

If there were to be a set time for games I would recommend friday nights, or at any time on saturday or ealier on sunday, thus enabling people in Europe to be involved as much as possible.
cicrush13
Posted: Monday, December 27, 2010 8:01:58 AM

Merry CHRISTmas to all!!!

While we still have some time and no one has posted here in almost 2 weeks, I thought I would ask all of you again, what type of league should we do next?
cicrush13
Posted: Monday, January 3, 2011 2:15:56 AM

Alright no feedback yet. I will offer this up again to see what type of league people would like to do next, if I don't see any replies by next week I will drop the league I would like to create.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, January 3, 2011 2:43:04 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Here's a thought... a constructed league where you're forced to rotate factions from week to week. For example, you can't use a faction that you used in any of the 3 previous weeks. Or a 9-game league where you use each faction exactly once.

That would give people a chance to try out competitive DotF combos but force some variety as well.
Darth Percocet
Posted: Monday, January 3, 2011 8:26:16 AM

Im down to get in a league, i just wanna be a player this one though, id help out if you need me too, lol but i dunno demos looked kinda stressed from the one we did lol, but yea count me in.

Id deff be down for just a regular draft league like before, i think they're the funnest. Dynamic duo im interested on how that would go, same with the F4. DOTF booster league would be cool too.

But yea let me know what your doing im down, id like to be just a player but if you need any help from me you know i got ya man.

P.S. also my cpu is soooooo slow & crashes alot, so might be times i cant play cuz of it, & it becomes a pain when people can schedule right either, i think best way to do around this problem is people who dont wanna be in the league but like playin on vassal & like tryin different ways of playing, have a second sing-up list & subscribe people who dont wanna be in the booster league to people in the league for when a person cant play the backup players can play for them that week untill they come back.

Basically would give the back up players a chance to play with a team of specific mini's to pick from so basically a new type of way to play to get that newer feel etc. Dunno how good this would work but just a suggestion.
cicrush13
Posted: Monday, January 3, 2011 8:59:14 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Here's a thought... a constructed league where you're forced to rotate factions from week to week. For example, you can't use a faction that you used in any of the 3 previous weeks. Or a 9-game league where you use each faction exactly once.

That would give people a chance to try out competitive DotF combos but force some variety as well.

So build your own squads for each faction using whatever meta you want and then having people forced to all play rebels in week 1, imperials week 2, NR week 3, OR week 4 and so on?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, January 3, 2011 1:49:13 PM

cicrush13 wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:

So build your own squads for each faction using whatever meta you want and then having people forced to all play rebels in week 1, imperials week 2, NR week 3, OR week 4 and so on?

Not everyone playing the same faction at the same time, but randomly assigning them so Player A has Vong and Player B has Mandos for example. And new random assignments the next week.

Or pick your own each week, but you have to rotate so you don't use the same faction twice.

Or pick your own but you can't use the same faction back-to-back.

Something like that... I don't think the goal should be to make every match the same faction facing itself, but at the same time having enough restriction to make sure it's not the same 2 factions going every time. Although with the new Vset, I don't think you'd see the same factions all the time anyway.
cicrush13
Posted: Thursday, January 6, 2011 12:59:43 PM

alright I think the best possible thing for us to do is still go with a regular booster league. Shinja has added DOTF to the open boosters section, so we can run that.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 1:05:25 PM

What happened to the thread for the new league? It said 1/30 start-up. I'm still thinking about it...
paul75
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 7:21:21 AM

I would like to join if its a booster league. I know almost the game but combined fire and am a good learner. I am free saterday nights I beleave. (I am 13 so my scheduale is kinda haywire and not all my choice) Is there still a spot open though? I also vote in favor of using DOTF boosters. Note: I have never been in a league before but its where you get random boosters and compete in a tornament with them, right?
cicrush13
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 12:58:39 PM

Hey guys,

Well I got no one to sign up and got no feedback on the league I proposed except for TheStarkiller and I have quite a bit going on right now in my job hunt. So for the time being, we can discuss what type of league we wanna see and once things settle down on my end (no idea when) I can manage the league. Or someone else can run it. But for right now I pulled it down since I won't be able to run it.

Steve
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2011 6:00:31 AM

paul75 wrote:
I would like to join if its a booster league. I know almost the game but combined fire and am a good learner. I am free saterday nights I beleave. (I am 13 so my scheduale is kinda haywire and not all my choice) Is there still a spot open though? I also vote in favor of using DOTF boosters. Note: I have never been in a league before but its where you get random boosters and compete in a tornament with them, right?

Have you installed and run Vassal?

The booster league works pretty much like you described it. You get 2 or 3 boosters to start, and over the course of the 'season' (6 weeks or so) you build up a virtual collection. You build squads using only the pieces you get in the virtual boosters (generated from the 'open boosters' option in the menu above).
cicrush13
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 1:25:25 AM

a long overdue BUMP!

I'm back and would love to start a league. Let me know if you're interested. I'd like to start sooner rather than later.
Terrence Withers
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 3:12:49 AM

I am new and am down. I have no idea how a league would work.
cicrush13
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 3:23:33 AM

Terrence Withers wrote:
I am new and am down. I have no idea how a league would work.

First question is do you have vassal?

The league would be scheduled so you would have 1 week to play against an opponent (pre determined). You would choose your boosters and the person running the league will send you the boosters and you will assemble the squad however you like (faction rule typically doesn't apply; typically 200 point games). You play and get more figures and there is a season and possibly playoffs to go along with it.
Sashlon
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 6:14:52 AM

I'm very interested in a booster league, particularly if we're using DOTF
cicrush13
Posted: Friday, April 1, 2011 5:55:54 AM

ok so far we have a few people interested...who else is game for a DOTF booster league?