RegisterDonateLogin

Warning: Do not drink within 1 hour of using Sith Rage.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Destiny of the Force - Community Gallery Options
LeftiesWillRule
Posted: Wednesday, February 9, 2011 12:05:19 PM
Groups: Member

Sora Bulq

YVH 1

Mandalorian Bounty Hunter

Battle Droid Lieutenant
To give this one a unique pose, I took a Rocket Battle Droid, cut off the jetpack, and gave it the head from a Battle Droid Sniper.

Salacious Crumb
I made this miniature totally out of epoxy, and it looks better than the one off Jabba RS.
qvos
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2011 5:53:45 AM

Wow? that Salacious looked incredible. Can I ask a totally ignorant question from a beginner Customizer. ? Do you just use the epoxy, then use a carving knife to carve the mold. Then Paint it using a base color or wash? Ya, I'm new to customizing and this thread has been great. About 5 or 6 years ago I used to cut lightsabers off and glue and do repaints, but nothing like this. Great Job!
LeftiesWillRule
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2011 7:56:48 AM

qvos wrote:
Wow? that Salacious looked incredible. Can I ask a totally ignorant question from a beginner Customizer. ? Do you just use the epoxy, then use a carving knife to carve the mold. Then Paint it using a base color or wash? Ya, I'm new to customizing and this thread has been great. About 5 or 6 years ago I used to cut lightsabers off and glue and do repaints, but nothing like this. Great Job!

Nah, you just mould him one simple shape at a time, giving it a little time to dry before adding the next piece. First I sat his hunched over body on the base, then added the arms, legs, head, then tail. The fingers/toes I put on individually, and were a bit tricky because gravity pulled them together and they would get stuck if I was not vigilant. The hair I did after everything else was totally done and dried solid. I added bits of epoxy, then poked and twisted them with a small metal pick. The paint I use is doesn't like special painting techniques, and Crumb was too smooth to wash anyways, so I just painted a few coats with various shades of skin to get the right effect. It looks a little odd on the camera, but it looks great to the eye.

Greenstuff epoxy is too expensive to sculpt like a stone statue, and it wouldn't look smooth anyhow. Its kind of like modeling with bubblegum, except its a little more stable.
wannabe mexican
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2011 9:20:16 AM

LeftiesWillRule wrote:
qvos wrote:

Nah, you just mould him one simple shape at a time, giving it a little time to dry before adding the next piece. First I sat his hunched over body on the base, then added the arms, legs, head, then tail. The fingers/toes I put on individually, and were a bit tricky because gravity pulled them together and they would get stuck if I was not vigilant. The hair I did after everything else was totally done and dried solid. I added bits of epoxy, then poked and twisted them with a small metal pick. The paint I use is doesn't like special painting techniques, and Crumb was too smooth to wash anyways, so I just painted a few coats with various shades of skin to get the right effect. It looks a little odd on the camera, but it looks great to the eye.

Greenstuff epoxy is too expensive to sculpt like a stone statue, and it wouldn't look smooth anyhow. Its kind of like modeling with bubblegum, except its a little more stable.

Hold up, when you say epoxy, you mean green stuff? So you made him entirely out of green stuff?
qvos
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2011 10:42:23 PM

LeftiesWillRule wrote:
qvos wrote:

I am Impressed to say the Least! If I may ask, Since you don't usegreenstuff, Is there a specific type of epoxy(molding material), and paint that you use? Thanks for the Info Lefties.
markedman247
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2011 2:42:58 AM

Unsure what is happening as I have posted these before but they seemed to be eaten. Maybe they are being under review as being too provocative.
Darth Bandon

Jedi Seer

Mandalorian Counter-Intelligence

qvos
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 12:20:44 PM

Excellent MArkedman, they look incredible!
Darth Loch
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 1:27:41 PM

Got some more done...

YVH 1

Rebel Commando Munitions Expert (The arm is from a Warhammer 40000 Space Marine)

Nen Yim

Bastila Shan, Jedi Master

Imperial Knight Master

wannabe mexican
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 7:52:12 PM

Darth Loch I like your Nen Yim. How did you make her/what mini is she?
LeftiesWillRule
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 1:45:43 AM

qvos wrote:
LeftiesWillRule wrote:
qvos wrote:

I am Impressed to say the Least! If I may ask, Since you don't usegreenstuff, Is there a specific type of epoxy(molding material), and paint that you use? Thanks for the Info Lefties.

I do use greenstuff. I just refer to epoxy/greenstuff the same way.

@ Markedman: Those customs are great, and the CIO is brilliant. For the hood on the Jedi Seer, may I reccommend the Jedi Watchman? I've used some lightsabers from those guys, and cutting off their hoods are a great way to use the leftover parts.
markedman247
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 7:32:09 AM

@ Lefty

Yeah, I thought about that after the second Jedi Seer. I wanted to see how it would turn out with an epoxy hood. One turned out ok (the pictured one) and the other turned out... meh. But, I do have a few watchmen and I want to use them for other things. Working on turning the EJA (Surprise!) into a Jedi Demolitionist. Something about his position and his 2 for 1 lightsaber screams making him into another piece.

Working on a double mini if I can find enough pieces. One is the inspiration for the other. I want to do a Master Treis Sinde but also make him distinct from him being the Imperial Knight Master, which would be the non-Unique form. Much like Atris, now, versus what she was before.
Darth Loch
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 10:55:03 AM

wannabe mexican wrote:

It's a repaint of Mage Knight - Mending Priestess
adamb0nd
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 2:51:29 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I'm on awe at this craftsmanship.

BlooMilk BlooMilk BlooMilk BlooMilk
qvos
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 10:50:57 AM

LeftiesWillRule wrote:
qvos wrote:
LeftiesWillRule wrote:
qvos wrote:

I do use greenstuff. I just refer to epoxy/greenstuff the same way.

@ Markedman: Those customs are great, and the CIO is brilliant. For the hood on the Jedi Seer, may I reccommend the Jedi Watchman? I've used some lightsabers from those guys, and cutting off their hoods are a great way to use the leftover parts.

Gotcha, Thanks
qvos
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 10:52:11 AM

Darth Loch wrote:
wannabe mexican wrote:

Excellent Job on Nen Yim. Most Impressive!!!!!
Darth Loch
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 12:30:55 PM

qvos wrote:
Darth Loch wrote:
wannabe mexican wrote:

Excellent Job on Nen Yim. Most Impressive!!!!!

Thanks.
wannabe mexican
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2011 6:57:35 AM

I just attached Jaina's Light (Dunder Mifflin is a part of) Sabre. Going out tomorrow to try and get my hands on some paints. Green stuff and some Weequays are in the mail on there way to me. So I should have some of my DOTF custom photos up soon. Sora Bulq and my Tusken Chieften at least. My Jaina is just a copy of the one already here so I won't waste time putting her here.
Lily_Wan
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2011 9:41:05 AM

wannabe mexican wrote:
My Jaina is just a copy of the one already here so I won't waste time putting her here.

You're welcome to post it if you change your mind. :)
wannabe mexican
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 12:01:12 AM

Right, here are my first three ever customs. Congratulations DOTF.

Jaina Sword of the Jedi, heavily inspired from one I saw here, just perhaps slightly different colours. I like brown boots...

Tusken Chieften, inspired by billiv15's creation. I just didn't want to risk moving his arm, so threw the shield behind him and repainted it.

Jedi Seer. I had been meaning to do this to an Aqualish Warrior, and means they might make it out of my box once in a while. You can still see where I cut away the bottom part of his original weapon. I couldn't be bothered to paint it because you can't really see it anyways.

qvos
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 2:41:38 AM

wannabe mexican wrote:
Right, here are my first three ever customs. Congratulations DOTF.

Those look really good WM.
I like the Jaina Solo Especially.. Nice work!