RegisterDonateLogin

Isn't too proud of this technological terror it has constructed.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Galactic Escalation Tournament information/sign up thread (Spring of 2024) Options
Mando
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2024 8:24:03 AM
Groups: Member

Looks like a majority of people are ok with going with 2 games being played at 350ots. I'll update the first post accordingly.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2024 5:19:27 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Are the BC rulings now in effect?
Mando
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2024 8:19:52 AM

Thanks for bringing this up Laura! I'm deciding that the BC rulings won't be in effect this tournament since people might have built their escalation squads prior to the tournament starting without the knowledge that their characters would change. I don't want to punish people for choices on how they wanted to plan out their squads since they might have had those characters previous designs in mind for their squad synergy. Future Escalation tournaments will have the BC rulings in effect however since people will have had the opportunity to see it and plan accordingly.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2024 8:53:22 AM

Makes sense. Thanks!
Mando
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2024 10:04:27 AM

talking with DarthMaim today, I thought maybe to encourage people who haven't gone undefeated to have a shot at getting into the finals, we could have the top 2 players of each division face off against each other in the playoffs to determine the division winner, then the winner of each division then would face off against the other division winner for the finale. My thought process behind this was that in a regular 10 person tournament with swiss, we'd cut to the the top 4 to go into playoffs to ultimately determine a overall winner. This has 2 divisions of 5 people but it is essentially 10 total people, so a top 4 makes sense i feel. Would everyone else be ok if we had the top 2 people of both divisions after 5 rounds face off against each other to determine who goes to the final match?
spryguy1981
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2024 10:52:32 AM

I was thinking Core Worlds #1 plays Outer Rims #2

and Outer Rims #1 plays Core Worlds #2.

Or just go full March Madness lol

Top 3 from each division get a bye.

Game A
CW #4 plays OR #5

Game B
OR #4 plays CW #5

Game C
CW #1 plays winner Game A

Game D
OR #1 plays winner Game B

Game E
OR #2 plays CW #3

Game F
CW#2 plays OR #3

Game G
Winner Game C plays Winner Game F

Game H
Winner Game D plays Winner Game E

Game I
Winner Game G plays Winner Game H

Or just rank everyone 1-10

R1 7 plays 10 8 plays 9
R2 1 plays 8/9 2 plays 7/10 3 plays 6 4 plays 5
R3 1/8/9 plays 4/5 2/7/10 plays 3/6
R4 1/4/5/8/9 plays 2/3/6/7/10 for the title

Yes I know that's a lot but I was bored at work lol.
DarthMaim
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2024 11:13:14 AM

Mando wrote:
talking with DarthMaim today, I thought maybe to encourage people who haven't gone undefeated to have a shot at getting into the finals, we could have the top 2 players of each division face off against each other in the playoffs to determine the division winner, then the winner of each division then would face off against the other division winner for the finale. My thought process behind this was that in a regular 10 person tournament with swiss, we'd cut to the the top 4 to go into playoffs to ultimately determine a overall winner. This has 2 divisions of 5 people but it is essentially 10 total people, so a top 4 makes sense i feel. Would everyone else be ok if we had the top 2 people of both divisions after 5 rounds face off against each other to determine who goes to the final match?

+1.

I would ask that we slightly alter this a little? Instead of 2 games at 350, play just 1, then the top 2 in each division play @ 350, then, the top ones from each division play the championship @ 350. Then the 2nd place players in each division will play each other @ 350, for 3rd place.

An Imperial credit for everyone's thoughts.....................................
DarthMaim
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2024 8:45:36 AM

Mando wrote:

What does everyone think of Mando's idea of the top 2 in each division facing off to start the playoffs?
UrbanShmi
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2024 9:01:11 AM

It sounds fine to me.
thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2024 9:38:27 AM

I prefer the Top 4 idea much more than the Top 2 idea. A larger playoff pool is always better than a smaller one, IMO.

How about this: The top player of the Core Worlds division plays against the 2nd-place player from the Outer Rim division, and vice versa (the 2nd-place from Core plays the top from Outer Rim). This will prevent a rematch and instead provide more variety in the playoffs.

DarthMaim
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2024 9:53:33 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
I prefer the Top 4 idea much more than the Top 2 idea. A larger playoff pool is always better than a smaller one, IMO.

How about this: The top player of the Core Worlds division plays against the 2nd-place player from the Outer Rim division, and vice versa (the 2nd-place from Core plays the top from Outer Rim). This will prevent a rematch and instead provide more variety in the playoffs.

+1.
N3rdSl4y3r
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2024 12:23:33 PM

thereisnotry wrote:

Top 4 sounds good to me
DarthMaim
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2024 12:55:07 PM

thereisnotry wrote:

What do you guys think about a 3rd place match between the 2 that lose in the first rnd of the playoffs?
spryguy1981
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2024 2:35:50 PM

DarthMaim wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:

What do you guys think about a 3rd place match between the 2 that lose in the first rnd of the playoffs?

That's one where I'd let them decide.
thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2024 5:41:39 PM

Having a match to determine 3rd and 4th sounds like a good idea, if those players are up for it.
DarthMaim
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2024 10:23:45 PM

thereisnotry wrote:
Having a match to determine 3rd and 4th sounds like a good idea, if those players are up for it.

ThumpUp
DarthMaim
Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2024 12:11:16 PM

Mando wrote:

Has a decision been made on this? If so, would there still be 2 games at 350, before the playoffs start?
Mando
Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2024 12:50:44 PM

Yes, 2 games at 350
DarthMaim
Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2024 2:14:23 PM

Mando wrote:
Yes, 2 games at 350

How about the decision of the top 4 playing in the playoffs? If so, would it be as Tint had suggested, with 1 vs 2 from opposite divisions squaring off?
Mando
Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2024 7:44:31 PM

DarthMaim wrote:
Mando wrote:
Yes, 2 games at 350

How about the decision of the top 4 playing in the playoffs? If so, would it be as Tint had suggested, with 1 vs 2 from opposite divisions squaring off?

Yeah, I liked tints idea of top from each division going against the 2nd place team from the other division.