RegisterDonateLogin

Will train this boy.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Championship updates Options
Darthbane53
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 5:32:46 AM
Groups: Member

thereisnotry wrote:

Congrats on making the finals, Ricky! I've been there twice, and if I could offer some advice, it would simply be this: Treat it as just any other game. It's far too easy to psyche yourself out, thinking, "OMG! It's the FINALS!!" Scared Just relax and enjoy the game, stay focused, and BELIEVE THAT YOU CAN WIN. Cheers!

And above all just keep in mind that we play this game for the love of star wars and for fun. And that you want to win and choose Darth Bane as the figure you design when you win for the next V-Set!
UrbanShmi
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 9:27:43 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

After a tense match, Ricky Heck is the 2013 GenCon SWM Champion! Congrats to Ricky and everyone else in the top 8, as well as everyone who participated in one of the most exciting and unpredictable championships in recent memory!
jhc36
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 9:34:39 AM

Awesome! !! South domination! Congrats Ricky! !
thereisnotry
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 12:41:48 PM

Wow, congrats Ricky! That's the first NR Championship win, so great job!
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 12:48:12 PM

Is this the squad - Ricky's Bloomilk handle is sephiroth99is, right?

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/126639/professor-lukes-art-class

--Professor Luke's Art Class--
48 Luke Skywalker, Galactic Hero
29 Ganner Rhysode
27 Lobot
23 Anakin Solo
23 Jarael
21 Marn Hierogryph
9 General Dodonna
8 R7 Astromech Droid
6 Mouse Droid x2
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
(200pts. 12 activations)

Congratulations everyone (especially Ricky) - a nice diverse top 8, and some quite different things than what have been doing well in Regionals in a lot of cases.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 1:06:23 PM

That's a lot of door control without even touching Lobot's reserves or Marn's bribery. That means he could tailor his squad to his opponent for 30 points every single match.
DieAndBeMetal
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 1:14:27 PM

Congrats Ricky! I know I've had some intense games with you in the past, you play lancer very well lol so that experience musta helped in the final match. I do have to say though. What makes the squad so powerful? Like, Gencon winning powerful? I just don't seem to see it i guess? Con Artist is a great ability, and it's a wonderful use of Jarael with Luke. But, is there a certain strategy with the squad that I am missing? I must be, since it just won Gencon lol. Just curious.
swinefeld
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 1:45:03 PM

I'm guessing Marn gave him some bombs to use against Tim. Pretty handy.

Eh, wait, don't think it works that way...
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 1:46:32 PM

swinefeld wrote:

Wow - I never ever thought of that for Marn - that's SO cool. So he can bring in 3 Ugnaughts and give them self destruct?
Echo24
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 1:48:04 PM

swinefeld wrote:

It does. He brought in a Felucian and an Ugnaught and gave both of them (plus Marn and Jarael) Self Destruct 20. It was very, very significant in his win.
swinefeld
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 1:52:08 PM

Echo24 wrote:
swinefeld wrote:

It does. He brought in a Felucian and an Ugnaught and gave both of them (plus Marn and Jarael) Self Destruct 20. It was very, very significant in his win.

Yeah, I had to go look. Was mixing it up with the Yammosk > faction thing.

Nice. Smile
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 4:34:56 PM

Looking at the finalists, they're both built largely around pre v-set pieces.

I'm assuming the Separatist squad had Darth Sidious and San Hill along with the Lancer, and maybe some IG-86s and Whorm too?

The New Republic squad, like most New Republic squads, is built around Ganner and Dodonna, and the only v-set pieces are Marn Hieroglyph and Luke Galactic Hero.

Obviously the OR squad in the top 4 is almost entirely v-set, but that's because the Old Republic were terrible before the v-sets. While the Rebel squad in the top 4 is similar to the Rebel commando/Han cannon squads that won in 2009 and 2010, just with the addition of one v-set piece (Ackbar).

It's three and a half years since Wizards ended, and it really looks like the good Wizards pieces haven't been superseded - just augmented with a lot more good options. Seven different factions in the top eight is great. Looks like you can turn up with something you really like, and do well, as long as you have an efficient squad that you know how to run.
Galactic Funk
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 4:49:31 PM

TheHutts wrote:
Looks likey you can turn up with something you really like, and do well, as long as you have an efficient squad that you know how to run.

This is what I love the most (in the context of what you said of course).

I mean, its 2013 and Jarael was in a Gen Con championship squad. That's crazy.

Galactic Funk
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 4:52:34 PM

Echo24 wrote:
swinefeld wrote:

Going in I was thinking that while Marn and Jarael could con artist the self destruct that it may not have a significant impact. I completrly forgot that Marn's bribery additions would get it as well. That starts to be a much bigger deal.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 4:53:33 PM

Jarael was in the runner up squad in 2010 too. She is a pretty cool piece, but I wasn't expecting her to be part of a GenCon 2013 winning squad. That winning squad this year is cool - not a whole lot of top end power, unless Luke really gets his Ataru going, but lots of options and flexibility.
DARPH NADER
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 6:21:01 PM

Too tired to post much but I will simply say for now....

Sharing a room with Weeks, Graham, that other guy (sorry Daniel), Hinkbert and of course my bunkmate and new crowned champ Ricky made my trip! Guys you are the best, I thank you all for a great time and the comradeship but most of all congrats to Ricky on the victory, as his was the most clever squad by far in the tourney.

Oh and one more thing....

CHICKEN LIMO!!!
Sithborg
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 6:29:09 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Both squads were very Vsets. While Tims did actually have few Vsets, the entire concept revolves around one key Vset piece. I would say the same about Ricky's.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 8:44:43 PM

I probably exaggerated somewhat, but I get reactionary against perspectives that the v-sets have altered the game negatively and I jump on any piece of evidence that shows power creep hasn't been too significant. That's just my perspective - I see both squads as following patterns that were established before the v-sets. I think a lot of the most powerful abilities in the game came in through Wizards - both squads had tempo control, both had mass killers, and both had a lot of movement - all of those things come from the Wizards pieces in the squads, and are still very powerful. The v-set pieces do bring in some extra dimensions to both squads in the final, but a lot of what makes those squads strong was already there from the Wizards pieces.

Without having seen the Sep squad, I assume that you're talking about Poggle as the key v-set piece? He obviously does change up things significantly - if nothing else, the ability to turn off San Hill and the MTB is very helpful, and the direct damage from the bombs and the cheap activations are both significant. But the Lancer/Sidious/San Hill was successful before Poggle - having Poggle in there just makes them more well rounded.

The two v-sets pieces in the NR squad are significant, but it still feels like the squad follows the basic template of NR squads established before the v-sets - a bunch of unique heroes, primarily force users, with Ganner and Dodonna as the ubiquitous tech choices. It's great that there are a more squad building choices for NR now - but at the same time it feels like a continuation of what was there already, rather than a complete reinvention.
jhc36
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2013 4:38:15 AM

Any chance we can see what everyone ran and their place at the championship?
Echo24
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2013 7:01:26 AM

jhc36 wrote:
Any chance we can see what everyone ran and their place at the championship?

I played this squad and placed 6th: http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/126362/luke-gh

--Luke's Heroes--
48 Luke Skywalker, Galactic Hero
31 Kyle Katarn
29 Ganner Rhysode
27 Lobot
22 R2-D2 and C-3PO, Galactic Heroes
18 Jan Ors
10 Jagged Fel
9 General Dodonna
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

(200pts. 10 activations)

It's the same thing I played at the Atlanta regional. I liked it a lot, and it's very much my playstyle.