RegisterDonateLogin

Now with 15% less sand in every glass.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

The (Rebel) elephant in the room Options
adamb0nd
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2011 4:13:45 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

First off, i feel like the rebels should always be competitive. The big 4 are the soul of the entire existence of star wars, and I feel like this game should reflect that.

That being said, while I would love new renditions of the main characters from the original trilogy, I would also really like to get some use out of the less than competitive versions we already have. Luke Cotf and Jedi are two of my favorite versions, that just can't stand up. You'd be crazy to chose either of them over Luke Commando in todays competitive play. I wish there was a way to get more use from the alternate versions. As it stands, you use Han Smuggler, Princess Leah, and Luke Commando... forget chewie or any other variation. So, it would be nice to get these guys back on the map... I'm just not sure how one would go about doing this, or if its even feasible.

I thing as suggested, they are just one good SA away from being a threat again. Han scoundrel, for one, is a fantastic piece, and I could see making a huge comeback now that reeikan has lost his throne.

One thing that irks me is that the power level of the main 4 are so much lower than many of the power houses of the other eras. I understand that Luke was not a "proper jedi" in the sense than obi-wan was in his youth, but remember, in the end, Luke did defeat vader... a significantly more powerful jedi. I'm not speaking either about his ability to "beat" him because he did not fall to vader's lure to the dark side... i'm referring to the fact that he kicked the crap out of him and took his hand.

I feel like, while luke should not be a powerhouse in the same way a mace windu piece is, i do think he should be able to compete against the big guys. If we do get a new luke, i'd like one that maybe has access to bravado, or other abilities that let him function as a threat to the high cost jedi, but not make him ungodly in comparison to all other pieces.
Mando
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2011 8:29:45 AM
Groups: Member

I agree that the rebels need new representations of Luke,Han,Chewy and Leia. Heck, they even need a Lando since the last one WotC made isn't all that great. I'd like to see a chewy that gets played competively. I'd like to see a new luke with Accurate shot (or some way to give him accurate shot which would make the old Lukes playable such as Luke of Dagobah with Blaster barrage) I like the idea of SA's that give bonuses to the Rebel heroes and this would help in getting around the Bastilla shutdown. Maybe a bew SA called Rebel Hero and then new Luke,Leia,Han, and Chewy (maybe even Lando) with the new ability and Special abilities that grant those with Rebel Hero better stats and abilities. It would ahve to be well thought out and I would prefer it to be balaced since if only one of them is good, the opponent will just gun for that one and then the team just suffers as a result. I want all 4 of them to be a threat, not just one or two of them. Good discussion so far. This is definetly a topic worth discussing at length!
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2011 3:46:00 PM

The more I think about it, the more I really like the idea of each of the main 4 (or 6, really, with the droids) each getting a new "signature" ability. And then using a pattern like this:

Say Han's new ability is "I'll Bet You Have".
Say Chewbacca's new ability is "Fly Casual".

Make a new Han piece w/ "I'll Bet You Have" that also grants any allied Chewie "Fly Casual"
Make a new Chewbacca piece w/ "Fly Casual" that also grants any allied Han "I'll Bet You Have"

This gives new versions of each but makes it impractical to play the two together... so it makes you play one of the older versions to get the most out of the new piece. Do something similar with Leia/Luke or with R2/3PO. To help boost only the weaker pieces, you could for example.... for Luke and Leia, you could make it so that Leia's only apply to a follower Leia (so it doesn't boost Princess Leia) and Luke's apply to a non-melee Luke (so it doesn't boost Luke RC). Otherwise, Luke RC and Princess Leia would continue to be the top choices of the older pieces.

(This idea was suggested by Lord Ball back on page 2.)
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2011 4:15:48 PM

More suggestions for "signature" abilities:

Han
I'll Bet You Have: If this character is the first character to activate in a round and does not move this turn, +4 attack +20 damage versus enemies within 6 squares.

Chewie
Fly Casual: If this character has not attacked or damaged an enemy this skirmish, this character gains Stealth.

Luke
There is Good in You: When this character is targeted, cancel an attack (or special ability that replaces attacks) by an enemy within 6 squares, save 11. The enemy's save is reduced by 1 for each ally that counts as Leia, Han, or Chewbacca.

Leia
Protective Friends: For each ally who counts as Luke, Han, Chewbacca, R2-D2, or C-3PO, this character gains +2 Defense.

R2-D2
Extended Sensor: Replaces attacks; select an enemy within line of sight. Allies may target the enemy until the end of the phase.

C-3PO
Cultural Sensitivities: Replaces attacks; touch, target may not attack or damage another character this round, save 11.
adamb0nd
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2011 3:25:05 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
The more I think about it, the more I really like the idea of each of the main 4 (or 6, really, with the droids) each getting a new "signature" ability. And then using a pattern like this:

Say Han's new ability is "I'll Bet You Have".
Say Chewbacca's new ability is "Fly Casual".

Make a new Han piece w/ "I'll Bet You Have" that also grants any allied Chewie "Fly Casual"
Make a new Chewbacca piece w/ "Fly Casual" that also grants any allied Han "I'll Bet You Have"

This gives new versions of each but makes it impractical to play the two together... so it makes you play one of the older versions to get the most out of the new piece. Do something similar with Leia/Luke or with R2/3PO. To help boost only the weaker pieces, you could for example.... for Luke and Leia, you could make it so that Leia's only apply to a follower Leia (so it doesn't boost Princess Leia) and Luke's apply to a non-melee Luke (so it doesn't boost Luke RC). Otherwise, Luke RC and Princess Leia would continue to be the top choices of the older pieces.

(This idea was suggested by Lord Ball back on page 2.)

That could work... but i'd love to get Luke COTF and Luke, Jedi on the map as a playable piece. They're both melee, but don't see light over commando... and i'd hate to see them get the shaft over a wording like that.

I understand you were just giving an example, but i just want to make sure whatever the end result is that the v-set team goes with, that it applies to all lukes who are just collecting dust.
Sashlon
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2011 8:48:43 AM

For Han:

Quick Draw (Whenever this character is targetted by an enemy within 6 squares, he makes a save of 11. On a success this character makes 1 attack against the attacker before they make their attack roll. This attack does not benefit from Commander Effects or Special Abilities that grant extra attacks.)
Sashlon
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2011 8:55:37 AM

For Leia:

Inspiring Leader (This character's Commander Effect can not be disrupted by Special Abilities or Force Powers.)

Skywalker Heritage (If your squad contains a character whose name contains Luke Skywalker, this character gains 2 Force Points and is considered to have a Force Rating for the rest of the skirmish.)
Sashlon
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2011 8:58:21 AM

For Chewie:

Han's Co-Pilot (Allied character whose name contains Han Solo gains Pilot)

Protective +20 (+20 Damage while a wounded ally whose name contains Solo is within 6 squares)
Sashlon
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2011 9:01:13 AM

For Luke:

Redemption (If an unique enemy with a Force Rating misses all of their attacks against this character in a turn, they are considered to be Redeemed and join this character's squad, save 11.)
R5Don4
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2011 10:39:33 AM

Sashlon wrote:
For Luke:

Redemption (If an unique enemy with a Force Rating misses all of their attacks against this character in a turn, they are considered to be Redeemed and join this character's squad, save 11.)

LOL

I knew a Darth Maul once that would never attack this Luke as he had a severe tendency to miss a lot.
Sithborg
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2011 10:08:36 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Lord_Ball wrote:
Sithborg wrote:

Some, but Synergy isn't really to be used for anything than a stat bonus. And it doesn't allow for some truly creative options.

Before the Vsets I probably would agree that Synergy was reserved for strickly stat bonuses, but when Jaster Mereel's Synergy added Jango-specific Mandalorian Conscription to the ability the game changed and I see no reason why synergy couldn't be used to grant an SA or Force Power or even a CE (though that would be kind of goofy IMO).

They could create a new ability, but if it can be handled with creative use of an existing ability then why not go with the existing one.

Edit: Just looked at the CW WOTC rulebook and it says +4 Attack - well WOTC itself changed that when they added + to Defense (which oddly enough was in the CW set...) so the inclusion of gained abilities is just a natural step in the abilities evolution.

But again, that is still limiting it to mere "Gains X". You can get so more creative than that. The stuff I posted was spur of the moment stuff. I would like such SA's to be a bit more complex than Synergy.
Lord_Ball
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 12:00:48 AM

Sithborg wrote:
I would like such SA's to be a bit more complex than Synergy.

That is the key point in which we differ - I feel simplicity is the way to go. At any rate I'm all for this hypothectical new big 4 NOT being played together (encouraging the use of the older pieces).
CC-23478
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:17:34 PM

I really don't like the idea of designing pieces to be tier 1 just because.....

The rebels had the upper hand in most tournaments for most of SWM's run, I think their glory is over

Old Republic and Vong have just been made competitive, and you want to take that away from them?

I think players simply need to adapt.....if you expect to see Bastila then don't be CE heavy.....after awhile your opponent won't see the need for Bastila if her battle meditation isn't needed.....so he'll adapt to you.....and then after a few matches you adapt to him and start playing more commanders.....its a give and take

As an example, my best friend used to play magic the gathering competitively, and he had a squad with a 91% win rate because it was designed to kill all the other tier 1 squads

He openly admitted that if he had played his thousand dollar kill squad against my 10 dollar noob deck he would have lost because his squad was not adapted to mine, all his counters would have been useless

It's all in how you play, and learning to adapt to each other, and accepting that you can't win every game
CC-23478
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:24:25 PM

As an example, someone previously mentioned that Han Scoundrel will be played more again because he already has the abilites that Reikan normally granted and doesn't rely on a commander.
That's ADAPTING

to quote Thrawn,
History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.
Sithborg
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 3:09:32 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

CC-23478 wrote:
Old Republic and Vong have just been made competitive, and you want to take that away from them?

No one is saying that. Rebels aren't in a terrible position, people just need to remember other pieces they have. That said, another point of this thread was to get opinions on putting some more focus on the main characters of the Rebels. Rebels will get more pieces. Some of them will be good, and geared toward top level pieces. Han, Leia, Luke, and Chewie should be a force to be reckoned with when played together, something that is a bit tough to do at the moment.
CC-23478
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 3:56:49 PM

Sithborg wrote:
CC-23478 wrote:

No one is saying that. Rebels aren't in a terrible position, people just need to remember other pieces they have. That said, another point of this thread was to get opinions on putting some more focus on the main characters of the Rebels. Rebels will get more pieces. Some of them will be good, and geared toward top level pieces. Han, Leia, Luke, and Chewie should be a force to be reckoned with when played together, something that is a bit tough to do at the moment.

I do agree that they need updates (lets face it, the fringe han wasn't a force to be reckoned with) I'm just saying that they shouldn't be designed to counter Bastila which is what some people are suggesting

Of all of them we need a new Chewie that can really beat the poodoo out of people in melee
CC-23478
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 4:01:33 PM

I think a Chewie with Impulsive Savagery, Impulsive Momentum, Impulsive Reprisal and impulsive advance would be great

Take away all his usual melee abilities and make him a So-so shooter that goes nuts

Maybe also add an ability that specifies what characters can trigger that impulsive arsenal.....because I don't think Chewie would give a dewback's cloaca if Ponda Boba died, but he certainly would if han or Luke or leia did
countrydude82487
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 11:19:23 PM

CC-23478 wrote:
I think a Chewie with Impulsive Savagery, Impulsive Momentum, Impulsive Reprisal and impulsive advance would be great

Take away all his usual melee abilities and make him a So-so shooter that goes nuts

Maybe also add an ability that specifies what characters can trigger that impulsive arsenal.....because I don't think Chewie would give a dewback's cloaca if Ponda Boba died, but he certainly would if han or Luke or leia did

Make it a unique rebel ally that way it isn't too lengthy a definition and i thin k it works. It just wouldn't affect the fringe Han
CC-23478
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 1:39:22 AM

countrydude82487 wrote:
CC-23478 wrote:

Make it a unique rebel ally that way it isn't too lengthy a definition and i thin k it works. It just wouldn't affect the fringe Han

Maybe a new ability like this:

Vengeful Wookiee (if an allied rebel character would be defeated, for the rest of the skirmish this character gains savage, momentum, cleave, and +4 attack and +10 damage)

You could use it on other Wookiees and specify a different faction for each.....or just put in non fringe and make it work for all

Even just call the ability "berserker" so it could possibly be used by non Wookiees