RegisterDonateLogin

Is braver than I thought.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Poll Question : How do you feel these changes affected your games? (Poll is closed)
Choice Votes Statistics
10PG and 3-2-1 positively impacted my games 8 50.000000 %
10PG positive/3-2-1 negative impact on my games 0 0.000000 %
10PG negatively/3-2-1 positively impacted my games 0 0.000000 %
10PG and 3-2-1 negatively impacted my games 0 0.000000 %
10PG had little/3-2-1 positively impacted my games 2 12.500000 %
10PG positive/3-2-1 had little impact on my games 5 31.250000 %
10PG had little/3-2-1 negatively impacted my games 1 6.250000 %
10PG negative/3-2-1 had little impact on my games 0 0.000000 %
10PG and 3-2-1 had little impact on my games 0 0.000000 %

Gencon- 10 point gambit and 3-2-1 scoring Options
atmsalad
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 2:05:06 PM
Groups: Member

It is time for the conversation we have all been waiting for. (No, we won't be talking about daala here Flapper)

Obviously Gencon is over and done with and I am curious what everyone's take on the scoring system and the higher point gambit was and is. I will weigh in later once I have more time on my hands.

And of course no good conversation is complete without a poll.(that's actually false, but I like polls, so I am putting in a poll regardlessThumpUp, lol) I would like to hear reasons for your opinion though. Feel free to elaborate and as always keep it kosher. ThumbsUp
jak
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 2:10:44 PM

I liked the new system, it is more like the old way, when points killed counted.
Then you got something for a loss.
jak
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 2:12:52 PM

atmsalad wrote:

Obviously Gencon is over and done with

WHAT!! it's over!? dam! I better leave Indy, and head for home.
atmsalad
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 2:21:03 PM

jak wrote:
atmsalad wrote:

Juice man leave you at the hotel again? I know that feel bro... Crying
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 2:42:42 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I think that the standing should be based on record first with points as the tiebreaker. Especially with the addition of 1 point losses. The effect on individual games is fine though. 10 point gambit forced quicker engagement, which was good.
countrydude82487
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 2:57:26 PM

the 10 did have minimal effect on my games. Though i was playing a squad that most of the pieces could get gambit anyway. The 3-2-1 however did effect me positively . IT made me think about some of my moves more. Even if i was in not in the lead. So many times, when you think you may have lost, you end up just playing terribly so it made me think a bit more about my moves.
juice man
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 5:17:20 PM

atmsalad wrote:
jak wrote:
atmsalad wrote:

Juice man leave you at the hotel again? I know that feel bro... Crying
Couldn't leave him. His car.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 6:31:56 AM

I found both changes to be positive. To be honest, I needed an incentive to keep better track of scores while the game was going on, and the 3-2-1 scoring did that. I actually did score a 1 point loss against Les, so it also helped my standing. As far as the 10-point gambit, there were a few minor snags with forgetting that you could no longer just run an R7 into gambit and be done; however, once that was ironed out, it certainly helped both with engagement and with getting to the build total (or half the build total, as the case may be).
pegolego
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 6:35:47 AM

Where's the 'this loser couldn't make it to Gen Con/negatively impacted my week' button? Flapper
DarthJoe8
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 6:19:30 PM

May seem like a dumb question but what is the 10PG and 3,2,1, about? I'm guessing that the 10PG is a 10 pt gambit instead of the 5pt gambit. Not sure about 3,2,1.
urbanjedi
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 6:23:18 PM

the 3-2-1 got me an extra point, which put me squarely in the top 8. However, without it, I might have still made it as some of the people with 3 wins would have had 8 points, and I would have had 9.

I did feel that overall there was more engagement of armies which IMO is good. Otherwise it didn't have much impact in my games.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 6:39:05 PM

DarthJoe8 wrote:
May seem like a dumb question but what is the 10PG and 3,2,1, about? I'm guessing that the 10PG is a 10 pt gambit instead of the 5pt gambit. Not sure about 3,2,1.

10pt gambit is just that. You get 10 points for being in gambit at the end of a round instead of 5, but you have to have a 10 point piece in gambit to gain gambit points.

In tournament scoring, you get 3 points if you reach 200 (as a combination of pieces defeated + gambit scored). You get 2 points if you are ahead when time runs out but you didn't reach 200. The new thing was the addition of getting 1 point if you reach a score of 100.

3-2-1 scoring didn't affect me at all. I was just trying to win, not thinking about reaching 100. I guess if at the end I knew I would lose but had the chance to reach 100 I might go for a high-point soft target (e.g. Lobot) instead of a military target like I normally would.

10 point gambit made me rush the center more quickly because my opponent often was gaining gambit while I wasn't.
atmsalad
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2014 11:32:05 AM

I know that some people feel one point losses reward a player for losing and can bite the player that won in the butt. I feel that the game should be played to a conclusion personally. 2 point wins don't conclude in my opinion. Neither player met the victory conditions and they ran out of time to get to them. So now you have to go down to tie breaks in order to figure out the victor.

Personally I think 1 point losses encourage engagement and faster play, both things I think are good for the game. They devalue 2 point wins and are going to start forcing players to either play lower act squads, speed up or play a mass killer squad like Durge, Thon or the like. I think we may see different squads no longer played because they have a difficult time getting 3 point wins. Either that or players are going to have to get faster.

I love 10 point gambit. It actually has an effect on games now! It gives the game a king of the hill aspect that I enjoy. Also it helps more games to finish on time, but not before the outcome would otherwise have been unknown in most cases. As far as I know there were no lockout wins or loses this gencon. I think 10 point gambit makes lockouts more prevalent in players minds. That way they can blow doors before that even becomes a possibility. A lockout loss won't take you by surprise as much as it may have used to.
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 7:31:14 AM

atmsalad wrote:
As far as I know there were no lockout wins or loses this gencon.

I kinda had one. I was playing against Zannah. I killed everything but Zannah, and then just locked the door.

Shame on anyone playing that crap-ass piece. Why would I risk killing myself just by attacking her? I was happy to lock her out.
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 7:40:56 AM

These changes do change the meta. I decided not to play my Vong squad that is very strong but plays slowly (no movement breakers) the day before the champs. I figured my Vong could have gone 4-1 with 8-9 points before the changes, but both changes hurt it. So I swapped, taking a squad that finished every game, and went 3-2 with 9 points. Luke and Leia on speeder was an extreme scissor squad, so it all came down to match-ups. Both Daala players in the top 8 acknowledged that they were glad they didn't have to face my squad, since it's nearly an auto-loss to both of them. I had bad luck and ran into the top 8 finishing rock squads in round 1 and 3 (and they both played brilliantly on top of it being a bad matchup for me), and it left me out.

So perhaps it pushes the meta toward what some people LIKE more, but it does restrict the meta.

I'm still a big believer that faster does not equal better. I don't like the fact that people with worse records can surpass people with better ones. It used to only be in extreme cases, but now it's much more possible.
atmsalad
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 3:00:31 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
atmsalad wrote:

I kinda had one. I was playing against Zannah. I killed everything but Zannah, and then just locked the door.

Shame on anyone playing that crap-ass piece. Why would I risk killing myself just by attacking her? I was happy to lock her out.

+1+1+1+1+1+1......

I once though about playing her with dessel and some gloom walkers. I think that between soresu and avoid defeat my opponents head would explode.
DarkDracul
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 5:45:29 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
These changes do change the meta. I decided not to play my Vong squad that is very strong but plays slowly (no movement breakers) the day before the champs. I figured my Vong could have gone 4-1 with 8-9 points before the changes, but both changes hurt it. So I swapped, taking a squad that finished every game, and went 3-2 with 9 points. Luke and Leia on speeder was an extreme scissor squad, so it all came down to match-ups. Both Daala players in the top 8 acknowledged that they were glad they didn't have to face my squad, since it's nearly an auto-loss to both of them. I had bad luck and ran into the top 8 finishing rock squads in round 1 and 3 (and they both played brilliantly on top of it being a bad matchup for me), and it left me out.

So perhaps it pushes the meta toward what some people LIKE more, but it does restrict the meta.

I'm still a big believer that faster does not equal better. I don't like the fact that people with worse records can surpass people with better ones. It used to only be in extreme cases, but now it's much more possible.
Or you just made changes based on an expected meta and you were wrong. It happened to a lot of us.

With your matchups, (2 Rock squads?) IMHO you smash those squads (3pt wins) and make top 8 with Vong.
Even your projected 4-1 with 9 points with Vong would have gotten you into this years Top 8. I don't how your Vong handles the Top 8 sqauds but I bet you would have made Top 8. And once you make Top 8 it's win or lose and points don't mean squat

With my matchups I could have made Top 8 with Master Thon. I can beat Kybuck, Talon, Durge, & Naboo with Thon. I just can't beat Daala with Thon. Diplomats pinning Thon in a Force Bubble is depressing. So I switched to Bastila with Rangers because I knew Daala variants would be at the final tables. I wanted a better chance against Daala. Sadly, like you I had bad match ups and the only Daala I faced was Atmsalad who knows my squad well.

With FlyingArrow's matchups he would have been better off running Barebones Daala. TJ has a better chance against Mandos, Mace and Durge with Barebones. But he was afraid of Yobuck so he decided last minute not to run Barebones.
He got all the way to 5th place without ever playing against Yobuck. He regrets not running Barebones.

DarkDracul
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 6:41:50 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
atmsalad wrote:

I love that you hate Zannah with such a passion. It shows just how much different playstyles create different perspectives on the game. Seriously??? You run Gha Nachkt, Lobot, 10 mice, or mice with MTB constantly and get mad cause someone gets a "chance" with Zannah? Sorry, but that is too funny bro!LOL
billiv15
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 8:50:01 PM

I didn't think either one made much of a difference on the meta. I didn't see a single person tell me that they changed some piece in their squad because of 10 point gambit.

As for the scoring system Tim, you know that we simply disagree. I don't consider a 2 point win a win. It's a win on a tie breaker :). I have no problem with a person with 3 complete victories being ahead of another person with 4 tie breaker wins on points or whatever. It makes the game more enjoyable for the most people, which is what we've always tried to do with the rules.

3-2-1 only had a very minor affect on my games. atmsalad and I were both tied after 4 rounds with 11 points and the two playing at table 2 each had only 8. We quickly figured out that if we each got to 100 we were assured 1st and 2nd in the swiss, so I played it that way to ensure getting over 100. It wasn't a make or break thing, but I did hear a lot of others saying the possibility of a 1 point loss was a positive motivation and experience. So overall I think most people liked it.
DarkDracul
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 10:39:59 PM

billiv15 wrote:
3-2-1 only had a very minor affect on my games. atmsalad and I were both tied after 4 rounds with 11 points and the two playing at table 2 each had only 8. We quickly figured out that if we each got to 100 we were assured 1st and 2nd in the swiss, so I played it that way to ensure getting over 100. It wasn't a make or break thing, but I did hear a lot of others saying the possibility of a 1 point loss was a positive motivation and experience. So overall I think most people liked it.

Chris and I were at table 2 with 8 points each. I saw Cad BH, got scared and brought in a Bith BSV instead of Buzz Droids. Duh..
It got ugly for me quickly but we both played fast and engaged and I reached 100 at the same time he reached 200.
It's embarrassing to admit but after my game with Chris I actually thought I had made Top 8.
I was 3-2 with 9 points and my only losses were to Etienne and Chris so figured my strength of schedule got me there.
Jim was 3-2 with a bye and I didn't see how he could pass me. Trevor was 3-2 with 9 points and I assumed my strength of schedule put me over him. Then I realized Trevor was 3-3-2-1-0 to my 3-2-2-1-1. He had more 3pt wins and was above me. Then I was surprised to learn that Jim was above even Trevor! People have tried to explain it to me but I still don't 100% understanding how a bye is calculated. Apprently, a bye is calculated in such a way that it does not penalize the player who gets one. That only seems fair.

So I came to the realization that under the old system my losses would have been two fat 0s. I'm fortunate to make 10th place.
My 2 point "wins" kept me out of the top 8. No, they don't really deserve to be called wins anymore.