RegisterDonateLogin

Wars not make one great. (But Bloo Milk does.)

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Obselete Minis? Options
dalsiandon
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2009 5:49:50 AM
Groups: Member

kenred2 wrote:
Your right that the battle droid on STAP is iffy on the low HP side. And the only help to boost it's attack is up to +9 (+4 from BDO, and 4 from GG,DAC). But for damage-wise and cost is still pretty good. This non-unique piece just makes a very good distraction, because while strafing and twin from GG,DAC dealing that 60 damage would cause your opponent to react towards this piece (and you want your opponent to attack this piece so your support can eliminate what's left), diverting their attack from hitting your main forces. You mainly want this piece to strafe and take care of grunts (or supporting pieces), you don't expect this piece to do more than that. If that's not enough, you can use Darth Sidious's Pawn of the Dark Side to target your Battle droid on stap to strafe again for another 60 damages before it dies. It's well worth it.... it just takes time to adjust your gain/lose situation.

It sounds like you've tried to get this piece out of the box a few times. Because I heartily agree with your thinking here. The stap hard to use because of his 10hp. If it was a 30hp piece it would be used more often and have a regular nitch in droid squads. And as a shooter it isn't subject to some of the dangers that lancers are
kenred2
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2009 6:17:39 AM

dalsiandon wrote:
kenred2 wrote:
Your right that the battle droid on STAP is iffy on the low HP side. And the only help to boost it's attack is up to +9 (+4 from BDO, and 4 from GG,DAC). But for damage-wise and cost is still pretty good. This non-unique piece just makes a very good distraction, because while strafing and twin from GG,DAC dealing that 60 damage would cause your opponent to react towards this piece (and you want your opponent to attack this piece so your support can eliminate what's left), diverting their attack from hitting your main forces. You mainly want this piece to strafe and take care of grunts (or supporting pieces), you don't expect this piece to do more than that. If that's not enough, you can use Darth Sidious's Pawn of the Dark Side to target your Battle droid on stap to strafe again for another 60 damages before it dies. It's well worth it.... it just takes time to adjust your gain/lose situation.

It sounds like you've tried to get this piece out of the box a few times. Because I heartily agree with your thinking here. The stap hard to use because of his 10hp. If it was a 30hp piece it would be used more often and have a regular nitch in droid squads. And as a shooter it isn't subject to some of the dangers that lancers are

Lancers and Battle Droid STAP is definitely no comparison. Lancers have survivability that Battle Droid on STAP lacks. But for Lancers costing 31, I would have that, plus add 2x-Battle Droid on Stap for more activations. It's tough to say if the Stap droid is obsolete, but it's how you run with it. It has it's particular uses in a certain area, which doesn't make this piece entirely obsolete in my opinion.
11MB StarWalker
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2009 9:22:38 AM

I would defend Darth Vader (Revenge of the Sith or Starter, whichever you prefer). I think it is a viable piece. Certainly, it is not the best Vader, but I don't think any of the Vaders are totally useless, although Vader (Dark Jedi) comes close, but at least the mini looks nice. I could live with Luke (Jedi Master) if he had Master of the Force 2. CS Darth Maul might not fit into a competitive squad but is fun to play. I don't mind CS Count Dooku. Not tier-1, but another fun piece to play; only 10 builds with that piece on bloomilk! The game needs to be fun sometimes:)

I think the Heavyweight Champion of Unusable Minis hasn't been named yet:

Luke Skywalker, Rebel

I don't think I've seen anything beyond theme squads with that piece, certainly not anything recent. I made a squad with Luke (Rebel) on swshoebox as part of a pieces-that-aren't-used series. I'd like to see what was constructed with Luke. He remains the Champion in my view.

RS Lando Calrissian has to be considered a contender for the title. Jabba the Hutt is another that I've struggled with since Rebel Storm. It just might be a lack of creativity on my part, but that is a hard piece to work with. I'd like to search and inspect the 57 squads Jabba is in on bloomilk.

--11MBStarWalker
Zaphod
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 6:32:24 PM

Hey. Honestly. How about Durge?

I'm sure there are uses for him - but new Durge makes him look pretty pathetic.

EmporerDragon
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 6:51:01 PM

CS Durge is still a good, solid attacker. While weaker than Durge, JH in a straight up fight, he's more maneuverable thanks to flight, and he has one of the better CEs in the game, especially since the mouse droid was released.

Combine him and Xizor and you can have Aqualish Assassins slamming into things at 19 attack/40 damage.
ken_watson76
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 2:46:21 AM

I generally think that most pieces are not obsolete, especially when they seem to do a pretty good job of coming out with CEs and SAs that bring back the usefulness of old pieces (per the comment from imyurhukaberry). In fact, I disagree with most of the pieces that have been named in this thread. That's not to say that a lot of pieces don't suck (I'm looking at you, Klatooinian Enforcer).

To EmporerDragon, I wholeheartedly agree about Durge (CS). I think he's still an awesome and totally viable character.
Lyrek_Galstan
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 8:18:26 AM

In defense of Nute Gunray, yes, droids aren't affected. You'd have to be either trying hard for a Maul/Sidious strategy or filling up with fringe in order to be running a separatist squad without droids. especially since GGDAC+Gha Nackt+GDO+BDO means only one character subject to the slowdown and inefficiency. I'm hunting for a Gunray simply to put the droid hurt on one of my friends 'instaspawner' type squads...
MarkIV
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 10:08:55 AM

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/obsolete

I'm surprised I haven't seen some of the big ones that should be on this list:

Aurra(CS)
Boba (RS)
Han(RS)
Princess Leia - Senator, Rebel Hero
Vader(UH)
Yoda (CW)
Ishi Tib scout
Darth Sidious (CW)
Dooku(CW,RoTS)
ewok
bespin guard
probe droid
stormtrooper
Nightsister sith witch
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Storm Commando
JWM (yes I know some of you want to lynch me for that)
Darth Bane
Exar Kun
Boba BH (yes, i know what I'm saying)
R2po(this seems to be a recent development, but with rebels ganing evade, it seems like juno is showing up more and he's kinda fading away)
swmimperial130
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 12:49:14 PM

Isn't it funny that NONE of you have mentioned C3P0, Ewok Diety?????LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
EmporerDragon
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 3:47:49 PM

There's a difference between obsolete and useless.
swmimperial130
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 3:49:40 PM

Good point, WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IG-108
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2009 12:03:46 AM

MarkIV wrote:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/obsolete

I'm surprised I haven't seen some of the big ones that should be on this list:

Aurra(CS)
Boba (RS)
Han(RS)
Princess Leia - Senator, Rebel Hero
Vader(UH)
Yoda (CW)
Ishi Tib scout
Darth Sidious (CW)
Dooku(CW,RoTS)
ewok
bespin guard
probe droid
stormtrooper
Nightsister sith witch
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Storm Commando
JWM (yes I know some of you want to lynch me for that)
Darth Bane
Exar Kun
Boba BH (yes, i know what I'm saying)
R2po(this seems to be a recent development, but with rebels ganing evade, it seems like juno is showing up more and he's kinda fading away)

Okay, over half of the ones you just listed, are still in heavy use and very useful. CS Aurra, Exar Kun, GA Thrawn, Darth Sidious, Dooku, CW Yoda? In fact, I see only two or three that might be considered somewhat obsolete.
Unless you're being sarcastic. In which case, I retract my statement. It's hard to tell when someone's sarcastic in a forum.
kenred2
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2009 1:36:11 AM

EmporerDragon wrote:
There's a difference between obsolete and useless.

Not quite, it's actually a similarity:
Obsolete - no longer in general use; fallen into disuse: an obsolete expression...
Zombieboy
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2009 9:22:33 AM

The way the game and the pieces evolve Id say no pieces are really obsolete you never know when you put something on a squad to confuse your opponent or a new CE comes along and makes that old and busted fig into new and shiny
mercenary_moose
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2009 9:47:51 AM

OK, you nerfed me on the Nute CE one. I still won't pay 10 points to cripple my otherwise-decent GGDAC, though, to hope for a init roll that I have a 5% chance of getting.

Also, the only truly obsolete piece in the game is the OR Recruit. OR Guard is equal to or better than him in every way, shape, and form for the same price. Go to Compare Characters and check it out.
Darth O
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2009 1:17:42 PM

dalibins wrote:
Rebel Commando...because the Veteran Commando is the same points and just better in every way. 10 more hp, 1 more attack, 1 more defense, 10 more damage and has all the same abilities PLUS mobile attack...The rebel commando is completely useless now.

You seem to be forgetting the [Rebel Commando Strike Leader]'s ce. I agree the veteran is way better, but all rebel commandos are good with the leader's ce.
Darth O
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2009 1:19:33 PM

I hate the Dark Hellions. Mostly cause they suck. The end.
Sithborg
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2009 1:35:29 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

General Obi-wan Kenobi. Flapper