RegisterDonateLogin

Search your feelings. You know it to be Bloo.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

CCC Week 93 - Custom Character with Custom Abilities Options
General_Grievous
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2018 8:35:06 AM
Groups: Member

CHS, invasion is fantastic and creative and warrior's pride is super outside the box while being easy to understand, great theme

Shmi, a new Droid! Fantastic and extra points for great simple abilities and having a battle Droid in the NR

LB, very interesting piece and still not sure how I feel about starting in your opponents start up area or untargetable door lockers but the theme is sound.

Swine, biggest concern is the unkillable Gambit getter but tracker is super interesting and fits the hunter assassin theme well

Alex, shoot I missed yours during the normal critique period sorry. Isn't their armour the same as normal dark armour? Pike is great though! And these guys are beefy hard to take down. But looking at your other abilities, Lightsaber Pike is a clever way to handle double claw attack/Melee reach. But your real shining star is eternal empire. Such a simple idea I don't know why it hasn't been done before, but this could be the answer to all of the "number of characters/interactions creep" that has gone on since we aren't making any new factions. Absolutely fantastic idea.

Jen, excellent design and probably what cloaked should have been from the start haha

Jak, you sure built a beefy new character here. I think the changes to make him immune to only blasterfire are good enough and may actually allow us to start seeing more secondary weapons like missiles, razor bugs, cannons and the like instead of just a sea of guns. And I think the game could really use that, plus these guys were huge parts of Star Wars. Another awesome thing you did was the independence SA, such a simple thing but so epic in potential.
Only thing is should they have some sort of drain health/body? Or was that just their tech?

Surf, interesting theme piece with some Clever interactions (supplies thief! Madness!)

Newguy, very interesting piece and unlike any maul or piece we have seen before your new abilities are great and thematically appropriate and would be a cool fit for the game.

Blem, could probably just have called him Veteran Commander and saved yourself the trouble haha. New abilities are great! And VI should be available to all factions! Bring back Huges!

Incredibly hard week to vote as everyone each made a solid entry and showcased their custom creation skill. Since the characters were generally equally balanced and creative I had to help sway my votes by focusing on the two new abilities themselves and what they add to the game. So in that end here are my top three:

3rd CHS, squad-building bonus for swarms and self Death twin
2nd Jak, possible solution to all sorts of CE boost interactions
1st Alex, clever SA and new squad building idea!
shmi15
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2018 9:17:18 AM

General_Grievous wrote:

But your real shining star is eternal empire. Such a simple idea I don't know why it hasn't been done before, but this could be the answer to all of the "number of characters/interactions creep" that has gone on since we aren't making any new factions. Absolutely fantastic idea.

I just want to single this statement out, and reiterate that this is a brilliant idea. We did this in the TN version of SWM, when we had a subfaction, we made it require only characters like that. SO MUCH EASIER with play testing and character creations!
AlexTheGreat
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2018 9:32:53 AM

3 CHS

2 jen ari

1 Blemelisk

And thank you GG and shmi for your kind words guys!!!
NewGuy117
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2018 9:42:42 AM

1. CHS

2. Surf

3. GG

Thanks for comments guys sadly this will be my last CCC for about a month or so heading to Japan!ThumbsUp ThumbsUp Hope everyone the best for further CCC's.
General_Grievous
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2018 3:04:20 PM

NewGuy117 wrote:
1. CHS

2. Surf

3. GG

Thanks for comments guys sadly this will be my last CCC for about a month or so heading to Japan!ThumbsUp ThumbsUp Hope everyone the best for further CCC's.

There's totally internet in Japan I promise hahaha. But seriously be safe and have a fun time!
surf_rider56
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2018 3:15:00 PM

I seem to be suddenly pressed for time and need to be places. Apologies to those waiting for something long winded.

3rd Place - Jen

2nd Place - NG

1st Place - swine

Lots of constructive critique and interaction. One of the more enjoyable ones and everybody had some fun interesting ideas.

cheers,

surf
swinefeld
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2018 3:22:31 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I'll be voting in a little while when I get home from work!
blemelisk
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2018 4:16:43 PM

1: Swine
2: jen'ari
3: Lord ball I want to see what this guy can do when you get him in the enemies starting location turn 1. This has me VERY curious.

I like a lot of the others, but some just felt maybe....under priced. (i know, im guilty of doing that often myself).
jen'ari
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2018 6:29:35 PM

1. Jak - needs a tiny polish but really enjoying the species build

2. Shmi15 - came together well. ARMS is cool

3. Surfrider - the 16 cost is great and the independent outfit trick makes it cool. Also the chevin flavor is great, had to look into them more.

swinefeld
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2018 7:43:57 PM

Comments, with votes to follow...

In reverse alphabetical order, for no reason at all...

Surf: Yes, we needed another Chevin! Thief is cool (very situational, wording needs a bit of work). If you're not out trying to steal abilities, this guy would make a decent 'protector' for a backfield commander. Base + Collaborator +Opp (or Cunning from Jabba CL) = +12/30, with potential Twin from Czerka. Also gets Hand of Judgement IO boosts (also pretty situational). Anyway, cool low-key flavorful piece.

shmi15: I don't know this guy's story, but he looks like he would be fun to play. Considering how fast he can get shot up, ARMS helps him have a chance to do something. Unique blade-wielding droid sidekick with sweep? Why not?! :)

NewGuy117: I like this Maul. I like the Holo Seeker ability. Sith Holo can reroll the 'betrayal' save via Sith Pawn (Sith Recruit) which is cool, but if it's in Imps or Seps, not sure there is any/easy way to reroll in either of those factions. I usually get tense about a character being able to drag another character into any faction they want, but for some reason, I don't have that sense of dread here. Probably because there is no faction change. And then, no uber-Ezra character... yet! (there's the dread coming back ;)

Lord_Ball: His backfield setup trick is intriguing, and he's useful even if you just run him up with your squad. Didn't need much work from where it started, that's for sure!

jen'ari: Solid piece, decent enough on her own with DW, could get much stronger, but you'll have to spend for it as always. Could slot into at least 4 factions somewhere without trying too hard, nicely done!

jak: Your Dino with Blaster started out kinda(!) nuts, but you scaled him back nicely. Chomp! is great 'add insult to injury' flavor. Too late for contest purposes but if you continue working on him, adding Rend +10 would make sense and further the flavor, IMO. :)

GG: Clever that you thought to go the other direction from Neural Mapping (SAs) with Villip (CEs). Vong is quite the puzzle, even before you drag Fringe into it. I'm not sure what kind of mess one can create with all the weirdness available, this included. I really didn't have time to analyze it much. ;)

CorranHornsux123: Great flavor. If I understood your last comment to my last question in the thread, Warrrior's Pride allows your guy to make the 'death shot" against any legal target enemy, regardless of what caused it's defeat. I could be mistaken, but in any case that wording could be more clear.

Blemelisk: I appreciate your goal of making some rather difficult to use character classes more viable. It gets a bit wordy in places, but I think the jist is understandable enough. Him being a follower for CEs is interesting considering he doesn't have any of the most used keywords for his factions, but could give him some measure of extra utility depending on what you build the squad towards. There is potentially a lot going on here, not sure I've wrapped my head around all of it yet. :)

Did I miss anyone?
swinefeld
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2018 9:08:59 PM

Voting is always difficult. Some folks bring fairly complete designs from the start. Some create from scratch. In any case design discussion and alteration is crammed into 1 week (and limited as to when anyone finds time to comment, much less follow up). The results may not be perfect for any of the entries in any given week, but considering the time window CCC works in, imagine how good some this stuff could be if we spent 3-4 months hammering it out. BlooMilk

(not a dig against v-set design, I'm part of that too, and it's not quite the same, so please don't go there) Smile

1. I'm gonna give this one to jak, for drastically altering an insanely strong piece at inception, down to a reasonable, but still flavorful and interesting piece, even though jak can be a curmudgeon at times. (I'm used to it) :D

2. shmi15 I may just be infatuated with the idea of a murderous modified battle droid in NR. Don't judge me!

3. Lord_Ball Least work needed to complete, and easily one of the simplest/cleanest designs.

Every other entry had something cool going on and could've easily placed. We never know how many people will participate from one week to the next, but it would be interesting too see how voting would work out with tie-breakers if we did top 4 in stead of 3. (keeping it simpler is good, I'm just saying...it's hard to decide, and inherently subjective)

Great work, all. BlooMilk
Also, thanks to Surf for taking on the topic in my stead. Of course, I lucked out on jury duty and was excused on day 2, but things had to get started, so... Surf, I owe you one. BigGrin
surf_rider56
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2018 9:25:56 PM

swinefeld wrote:
... even though jak can be a curmudgeon at times. (I'm used to it) :D

Ahhh! Now I understand. I thought that "I" was being the crotchety one. ThumbsUp

swinefeld wrote:
... Surf, I owe you one. BigGrin

You ever come out west to play against Maim & me .... I'll take a cold 16 oz sudsy brew ... I'll even buy the second round!
surf_rider56
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2018 9:35:49 PM

Well, I haven't got a vote count, but there were 11 entries and 9 have voted; MIA so far is CHS and the unofficial always last jak (nothing personal jak, but it seems you're Always last in. Cool )

Anybody actually count the votes yet?

EDIT

Now that I'm home & unwinding .... with jak & CHS still to vote

jen & jak 8 pts each

swine 7 pts

shmi 6 pts

alex & chs 5 pts each

NG & ble 4 pts each

General_Grievous
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2018 10:17:38 PM

Jak you can't win if you don't vote hahaha
shmi15
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2018 10:19:01 PM

surf_rider56 wrote:
Well, I haven't got a vote count, but there were 11 entries and 9 have voted; MIA so far is CHS and the unofficial always last jak (nothing personal jak, but it seems you're Always last in. Cool )

Anybody actually count the votes yet?

EDIT

Now that I'm home & unwinding .... with jak & CHS still to vote

jen & jak 8 pts each

swine 7 pts

alex & chs 5 pts each

NG 7 ble 4 pts each

I have 3 2nd place votes so far(6 total points)... So I'm a dark horse still in this!
spryguy1981
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2018 3:24:14 AM

1. Jen
2. Shmi
3. NG
jak
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2018 5:41:26 AM

newguy-1st
blem-2nd
alex-3rd

guess i just a lazy voterThumbDown
surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2018 7:14:01 AM

jak wrote:
newguy-1st
blem-2nd
alex-3rd

guess i just a lazy voterThumbDown

As my wife likes to say, "Always late but worth the wait!" Cool

Bad as I am at math (ask shmi) if I counted correctly RollEyes

Jen wins with 11 pts in a tight race.

Congrats to all and especially to jen - for the win!

Your move jen, what'll it be?
jen'ari
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2018 7:40:53 AM

Thanks guys, I have not thought about (since I win once a blue moon) so I will have it up hopefully during my lunch.