Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

CCC Week 93 - Custom Character with Custom Abilities Options
Lord_Ball
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 6:52:57 PM
Groups: Member

surf_rider56 wrote:
Lord_Ball wrote:

Lots of Imps coming out to play...

Some interesting ideas, but I couldn't see investing the points in him when there are options more likely suited for the squad. As a Fringe I could see it having a place more so, but as imps, maybe drop Dishonest altogether (even though it helps add some flavor to the character) in favor of a cost reduction?

.... and here we have my first example of what is it, fun, playable, thematic, or world changing.

Thematic - Yes
Meta - He1l No :)
Payable - Possibly if for no other reason than its something different and like Ehpant, maybe situational
Fun - Its a Chevin! Have you Ever played one?

Now, would it be worth it if it costed 16? I went with the upper end, should I have costed him at 16?

As I said my issue with it is probably more the faction, as in he'd be hard to throw into a squad over the other options available. Even if just for fun he probably wouldn't feel quite right in the squad.

Just straight dropping the cost is certainly an option, especially considering Dishonest being very circumstantial, but erring on the side of caution was certainly a wise choice.

surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 7:45:25 PM

swinefeld wrote:
surf_rider56 wrote:
shmi15 wrote:

I'm confused on Dishonest right now. Could you clear up what it actually does for me?

Example: An enemy Rodian Trader (or anybody else who has a Supplies ability) is within 6 squares of you; you can gain Grenades 10 or Heal 10 from him without actually being part of his squad or being adjacent; once each turn. Could have called it Thief I suppose.

That's helpful info, thanks! I thought maybe he was gaining the actual 'Supplies' ability, not what it was giving out.

Thief sounds better in context, but I certainly don't expect you to redo the card for our purposes here. :)

Edit: Wait, so is it 'on his turn' or any turn? Most stuff would only be usable on his turn. Relay Orders is a bit of an outlier there. I don't think it's a problem necessarily, but could a bit complicated to keep track of. (ie declare each turn).

Frankly, I saw the word Dishonest in the Chevin Wook article; I'd be ok with Thief as an SA name. Would "Usable only on this characters turn; If an enemy ...." be better?

FlyingArrow wrote:
Rules-wise, you want Move in for the Kill to say "loses Speed 4" instead of "gains Speed 6". Speed 4 is a penalty, so it would override the higher Speed.

Makes sense.

Lord_Ball wrote:
surf_rider56 wrote:
Lord_Ball wrote:

Lots of Imps coming out to play...

Some interesting ideas, but I couldn't see investing the points in him when there are options more likely suited for the squad. As a Fringe I could see it having a place more so, but as imps, maybe drop Dishonest altogether (even though it helps add some flavor to the character) in favor of a cost reduction?

.... and here we have my first example of what is it, fun, playable, thematic, or world changing.

Thematic - Yes
Meta - He1l No :)
Payable - Possibly if for no other reason than its something different and like Ehpant, maybe situational
Fun - Its a Chevin! Have you Ever played one?

Now, would it be worth it if it costed 16? I went with the upper end, should I have costed him at 16?

As I said my issue with it is probably more the faction, as in he'd be hard to throw into a squad over the other options available. Even if just for fun he probably wouldn't feel quite right in the squad.

Just straight dropping the cost is certainly an option, especially considering Dishonest being very circumstantial, but erring on the side of caution was certainly a wise choice.

Hmmm Consensus seems to be 16 cost .....
swinefeld
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 7:45:55 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

FlyingArrow wrote:
Rules-wise, you want Move in for the Kill to say "loses Speed 4" instead of "gains Speed 6". Speed 4 is a penalty, so it would override the higher Speed.

^ Derp, on my part. That is correct.
CorranHornsux123
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 9:01:30 PM

surf_rider56 wrote:
So, a lil background to my character.

Last week, as I was creating the Custom Card Making FAQ, I wanted to include an example of how to create characters from scratch; kinda what custom mini creating is like in that you can swap body parts around or repaint various mini's. One illustration was colorizing a grey-scale pic. My example was this Chevin

Now, the only Chevin in the game is Ephant Mon; nice sculpt but almost useless unless the perfect situation arises. Now I've made a few Chevin cards, but they all seem to be the same type of character, some Fringer or Slaver. But this guy seemed to be a younger, more energetic type, so what would a younger Chevin feel like in the game?

Chevin Collaborator

Not much on Chevin's in Wook; they had " a poor reputation in much of the galaxy, partly due to their involvement in unsavory activitie like slaver and smuggling." But thats it? No, "During the Imperial era, most Chevin supported the Empire" they saw "themselves as opportunistic realists interested in self-safety" and "could walk or run almost as fast as more nimble-looking humanoids." They "could smell out their prey" but I already had a sense of what I could do, and limited ability requirements, hence Collaborator, Dishonest, and Move in for the Kill.

Peace,

surf

PS - Thats five colors in the colorizing (and not as easy as you might think!) BigGrin

I really like this guy Surf makes me auctually wanna play empire lol! (i only play Mando, Sith, Old Rep, and Fringe hahaLOL )
jak
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 4:26:59 AM

made this dude a few days ago, but he fits the parameters of this week's contest.
the last 2 SA were create by meCool

http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/30773/ssi-ruuk-warrior
surf_rider56
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 8:00:59 AM

Updated ....

Well, since I wasn't entirely sold on the original cost and some wordage needed to be revised

Chevin Collaborator 2.0

shmi15
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 10:16:49 AM

surf_rider56 wrote:
Updated ....

Well, since I wasn't entirely sold on the original cost and some wordage needed to be revised

Chevin Collaborator 2.0

Better costing... But it still doesn't make me want to play him. He doesn't do enough in a faction that has everything, and then some. And no Chevin's to go along with him.

Thematic - Yes, but not much on them like you said to begin with.
Meta - Nope, not in the slightest.
Payable - Nope, to many better options for any scenario
Fun - No, as Jenari said, unless your playing a Chevin Theme squad, I dunno why I would have fun playing him. I play for fun, but winning is fun, and if I have no chance of winning, than I doubt I would use it at all

1/4 from me. And its not a knock on the design. I don't find anything wrong with it at all, other than complete lack of playability.
surf_rider56
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 11:17:18 AM

shmi15 wrote:

1/4 from me. And its not a knock on the design. I don't find anything wrong with it at all, other than complete lack of playability.

... and this is where we continue to agree to disagree. Many of the CCC pieces are either not even close to tier one or would be rarely playable; I sometimes get the feeling that you misunderstand the "fun" of CCC; creating characters.

Week One of this round of the CCC (This is CCC v2) I won with a Jedi Master, Plo Koon that was soooo over the Top as to be probably broken; it was Never meant to be taken seriously or be playable. We had a contest 6-8 months ago with Plants and Trees as the topic. Playabiliy and Top Tier-edness was never a criteria. Don't like it fine, but just because it doesn't meet your criteria of worthiness doesn't mean it isn't a decent character. The V-Set has turned out enough clunkers yet as always, don't like it/have no use for it, don't play it.

Since you like asking questions, on the ratings scale, what would You rate this character?
jen'ari
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 5:41:32 PM

I think the piece is playable in a "known" casual game and would be fun.

If I was playing semi-serious I don't think I would play it. But there are lots of times when i want to play Casual fun stuff.
For instance I played The Jedi Exile the other day even though it can't really be played seriously.

Heck Darth Sidious, Sith Master 57 points was taken to Gencon.

there are times it is fun and has a tiny trick. this one's trick is being flavorful, you would need to buy into the chevin flavor for it to be fun, which is fun in its own right.

at 16 points this is. Higher than 18 I couldn't play it on pure principal.

Right now it is a "fun, casual, flavorful game" like someone using Gamorrean bodyguards with Bib Fortuna.

With that in mind, I might do one of those "what are you playing?" before the match to make sure it would not just get blown out of the water.
shmi15
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 8:52:53 PM

surf_rider56 wrote:
shmi15 wrote:

... and this is where we continue to agree to disagree. Many of the CCC pieces are either not even close to tier one or would be rarely playable; I sometimes get the feeling that you misunderstand the "fun" of CCC; creating characters.

Week One of this round of the CCC (This is CCC v2) I won with a Jedi Master, Plo Koon that was soooo over the Top as to be probably broken; it was Never meant to be taken seriously or be playable. We had a contest 6-8 months ago with Plants and Trees as the topic. Playabiliy and Top Tier-edness was never a criteria. Don't like it fine, but just because it doesn't meet your criteria of worthiness doesn't mean it isn't a decent character. The V-Set has turned out enough clunkers yet as always, don't like it/have no use for it, don't play it.

Since you like asking questions, on the ratings scale, what would You rate this character?

I honestly used your 4 criteria you used talking about your piece, which is where I got these 4 things from.

Thematic - On thematics I can honestly say I don't even know where in the EU this guy was from. So other than Wookiepedia, which is kinda a broad they can be anything type thing. I won't knock it for anything. It seems they were more on the trader side, so I get the "buying" ability off the enemy. I would give it a 9 out of 10 here

Meta - This guy would never be in a Tier 1 squad. So its not even a question. He gets a 2/10 here.

Payable - Playable, again, I feel is a personal opinion question, but to me, I don't find him playable. As of now there is no "Theme" squad for him to be apart of. So unless you created some scenario where this guy just happens to be there, and even then, he wouldn't be a prominent part of the scenario. I play for fun a lot with Jenari, but even then, we both play to win... Even if were running Tier 2 or higher. This guy falls on the Tier 3 spectrum, in my eyes. 3/10

Fun - Again, depends on your definition of fun. Would I play a bad squad that I knew I was going to get destroyed playing? Nope. But if someone were to play me, and we both said, " Lets use something that never makes a regional" Then I could see myself playing this guy. His tricks are so specific, and even then 1 of his tricks just rids this guy of Speed 4. If I took a few shots of Svedka I would probably try and make a squad with this guy. But I would be generous and say its a 4/10, because it has some slight fun potential.

So tallying those 4 up, and dividing by 4, he is between a 4/5.

It is not a knock on the design at all. I think you designed what you were designing. And I think you did good with that. But I guess I am confused.... Am I suppose to give this guy a better grade, because you wanted him to be this way? Or do I give him a grade based on the 4 things, and how I interpret them? The Meta one I understand shouldn't have a huge impact, and, if your intent is for him to not have table time, then I guess he should actually get a 10/10 for that.

I am a little lost in how to grade people this week... Are they suppose to let us know" Hey this guy is not suppose to see any table time except in random, and rare Fun matches?" In which case I judge him based on that? Maybe I am misinterpreting how were actually suppose to grade this guy?

If its on your intentions then bam, you get a 8/9. Because you wanted an unplayable, not really fun, and not meta changing thematic piece.

General_Grievous
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 9:31:37 PM

Shmi brother, waaay overthinking it. Just create, have fun, help with friendly critiques for others and then vote on what you think the best or most accurate pieces to a week's theme. This week is just a new custom character with two custom abilities so really vote however you want. Sometimes people's pieces don't mesh with my ideals of what constitutes a "good piece" either, so we try to be unbiased and helpful in tweeking each other's designs for the better.

Anyways all that being said, wasn't sure which direction to go so entering a design I cooked up awhile back for a different week and never ended up using:

http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/28150/villip-gnullith-hybrid-stalk
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 9:54:39 PM

shmi15 wrote:

Payable - Playable, again, I feel is a personal opinion question, but to me, I don't find him playable. As of now there is no "Theme" squad for him to be apart of. So unless you created some scenario where this guy just happens to be there, and even then, he wouldn't be a prominent part of the scenario. I play for fun a lot with Jenari, but even then, we both play to win... Even if were running Tier 2 or higher. This guy falls on the Tier 3 spectrum, in my eyes. 3/10

He could be cool in a Talon/ Jabba CL squad with Mara Jade, HoJ (or Daric) so he can get Talon's CE and the synergy with Imp commanders at the same time. +16 for 40 is nothing to scoff at, and the added (though situational) boost of Imperial Hunter, and Agile to help get around faster. Not Tier 1- but not Tier 3 either, and playable IMO. Of course there's always Daala as well. She can make just about anything playable, if barely.
NewGuy117
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 9:55:45 PM

Here's my entry still have some touching up but here's a rough draft guys

www.bloomilk.com/Custom/30782/maul
swinefeld
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 10:18:58 PM

General_Grievous wrote:
Shmi brother, waaay overthinking it. Just create, have fun, help with friendly critiques for others and then vote on what you think the best or most accurate pieces to a week's theme. This week is just a new custom character with two custom abilities so really vote however you want. Sometimes people's pieces don't mesh with my ideals of what constitutes a "good piece" either, so we try to be unbiased and helpful in tweeking each other's designs for the better.

Ninja'd, so +1 BlooMilk
Lord_Ball
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2018 5:16:00 AM

I have to say surf with a cost under 20 I'm definitely liking it a lot more, and as Gandalf pointed out, it could be quite a potential threat. Unfortunately such a squad also helps cater towards my original feeling of not really an Imperial Faction, but then again Mara ends up fitting that bill too in that case, oh well. Even if it was justa cost reduction, it's evolved nicely.
shmi15
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2018 8:24:09 AM

General_Grievous wrote:

Anyways all that being said, wasn't sure which direction to go so entering a design I cooked up awhile back for a different week and never ended up using:

He asked me for this information. I was only letting him know how I rated it.

And its all friendly, hopefully no one has a bad day because their CCC was critiqued a way they didn't like.
shmi15
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2018 8:26:49 AM

swinefeld wrote:
General_Grievous wrote:

Ninja'd, so +1 BlooMilk

Ninja'd back, he asked me how I would rate the piece, so I gave him the answer. Would you two preferred I ignored his question? Or lied about how I felt?
surf_rider56
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2018 8:28:03 AM

shmi15 wrote:
General_Grievous wrote:

He asked me for this information. I was only letting him know how I rated it.

And its all friendly, hopefully no one has a bad day because their CCC was critiqued a way they didn't like.

No Big Deal, its just one of those discussions where we're seeing apples/oranges and I'm fine with agreeing to disagree on approach. World would be awfully dull if we all thought the same ... couldn't play a game if we all made the same moves predictably ....
surf_rider56
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2018 3:04:40 PM

Must say, lots of people have been commenting on lots of custom pieces, which is great for the game and a good way to exchange ideas however much we tease the crap out of each other BlooMilk

High fives to one and all. ThumbsUp

Cheers

s
swinefeld
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2018 5:57:04 PM

surf_rider56 wrote:
Must say, lots of people have been commenting on lots of custom pieces, which is great for the game and a good way to exchange ideas however much we tease the crap out of each other BlooMilk

High fives to one and all. ThumbsUp

Cheers

s

BlooMilk