RegisterDonateLogin

So uncivilized.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

CCC Week 93 - Custom Character with Custom Abilities Options
surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 9:25:42 AM
Groups: Member

Emergency Topic #1. Wasn’t planning on this, thought about what I like, what I’ve seen lately.

Shmi came up with an interesting thought on another thread.

shmi15 wrote:
Out of curiosity, how do you rank the CCC? Do you look at being thematically correct? How fun the piece will be? How competitive it is? Whats your criteria for a good piece?

History lesson. For those unawares, the Original CCC meant “Custom Character Creation” but it seems we’ve each developed unique perspectives to its meaning (Nothing wrong with That.) Is it meant to be competitive, playable, fun, or thematic? I believe, IMHO, that it should be always thematic in that it should be star wars-like (for the purposes of our game,) but after that, as long as it’s at least one of the other, it’s your creation.

This week, create a character; any faction, 25 points max, unique or non-unique, no more than six abilities (Melee counts as an ability, Force X doesn’t) with at least Two (2) custom abilities created by you.

I’m not a meta-changing guy and I’m not worried, again IMHO, whether it will fit into X Tier. Your creation, Create! Play on.

1. You may update any existing versions you already have and/or create a new one. You may update/create several versions of the character but you must ultimately select 1 you wish to run with. (this must be done by the schedule below)

2. Place a hyperlink in this forum to make it easier to find your character. You can just post the stats or image here but if changes are needed it would be easier (and save space) if you just used a Hyperlink (If you don't know how to post Hyperlinks in a forum setting please ask and we will help you. It's not hard )

3. Voting works as follows, pick your three favorite customs based on accuracy to the character, design, balance or whatever you decide makes the best incarnation of the challenge character. First place receives 3 points, 2nd place receives 2 points, and 3rd place receives 1 point.

4. You do not have to enter the contest in order to vote. But unless you enter you must have at least 10 forum posts.

5. To make things fair you must vote in order to win the contest. Try to give feedback if possible to help designers out. You must choose three characters entered in the contest and you may not rate or vote for your own character.

6. The winner will be decided by how many points they receive. Ties will be broken by most 1st place votes, then if still tied, 2nd place votes and then 3rd place votes. If still tied, then the outcome is a tie.

7. You may not change or update the entered character AFTER the deadline.

You will have until Sat, Feb 24th, 2018 @8pm EST to get your submissions in. Anything submitted after this point will not be included in the voting.

Voting will start at 8pm on Saturday evening and end at 11pm EST on Monday, Feb 26th, 2018..
At the conclusion of the voting the scores will be tallied and the winner will start a new topic with their choice of theme.
CorranHornsux123
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 9:36:58 AM

Heres one ive been working on the past few years

http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/24127/mandalorian-invasion-trooper
shmi15
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 10:11:10 AM

Here he is... May end up changing characters completely, but wanted to see if I could do anything with this guy. I liked him in the books, but it may be hard to catch the character in this.

His "ARMS" system helped him reassemble himself even after losing all his arms and legs, and in the books he charges in and kills a lot of people with his weapons. Some of the names I'm not sold on, but I wanted to get something up to see what people thought.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/30775/mr-bones
Lord_Ball
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 11:00:14 AM

Well you asked for it!

Rebel Turncoat
swinefeld
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 11:08:05 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/11075/x-7

Another old one (2012!) that I never fully finished. Obscure character.

I changed him up quite a bit, removed 4 abilities to fit the requirements. Not really a full representation of him, so I may go with something else if I have time.

I assumed Unique does not count toward number of abilities.
surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 11:45:59 AM

swinefeld wrote:

I assumed Unique does not count toward number of abilities.

Excellent assumption BlooMilk
AlexTheGreat
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 12:55:11 PM

surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 1:11:35 PM

So, a lil background to my character.

Last week, as I was creating the Custom Card Making FAQ, I wanted to include an example of how to create characters from scratch; kinda what custom mini creating is like in that you can swap body parts around or repaint various mini's. One illustration was colorizing a grey-scale pic. My example was this Chevin

Now, the only Chevin in the game is Ephant Mon; nice sculpt but almost useless unless the perfect situation arises. Now I've made a few Chevin cards, but they all seem to be the same type of character, some Fringer or Slaver. But this guy seemed to be a younger, more energetic type, so what would a younger Chevin feel like in the game?

Chevin Collaborator

Not much on Chevin's in Wook; they had " a poor reputation in much of the galaxy, partly due to their involvement in unsavory activitie like slaver and smuggling." But thats it? No, "During the Imperial era, most Chevin supported the Empire" they saw "themselves as opportunistic realists interested in self-safety" and "could walk or run almost as fast as more nimble-looking humanoids." They "could smell out their prey" but I already had a sense of what I could do, and limited ability requirements, hence Collaborator, Dishonest, and Move in for the Kill.

Peace,

surf

PS - Thats five colors in the colorizing (and not as easy as you might think!) BigGrin
jen'ari
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 1:17:34 PM

http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/30777/shadow-killer

Flavor text
Mother Talzin ""A skilled shadow killer can vanish from sight.""
jen'ari
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 1:28:51 PM

surf_rider56 wrote:

Chevin Collaborator

PS - Thats five colors in the colorizing (and not as easy as you might think!) BigGrin

Pretty sweet! the way it was made and things.

I dont know if it should cost that much. 60 HP, no defense, and max 30 damage output. The Speed 4 hurts it and one special ability gets him to "normal speed" (move in for the kill) and the other is only going to be used very very rarely (Dishonest).
i can see him costing 16 and being just fine.

For a long time I have thought that it might be fun to have "equipment" as a glossary term and put things under it.
Things like grenades, darts, etc. that way you could say "If an enemy within 6 squares has equipment this character may use that ability once...."

It seems like Dishonest could have something more to it to make it more desirable
surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 1:36:11 PM

jen'ari wrote:
surf_rider56 wrote:

Chevin Collaborator

Pretty sweet! the way it was made and things.

I dont know if it should cost that much. 60 HP, no defense, and max 30 damage output. The Speed 4 hurts it and one special ability gets him to "normal speed" (move in for the kill) and the other is only going to be used very very rarely (Dishonest).
i can see him costing 16 and being just fine.

For a long time I have thought that it might be fun to have "equipment" as a glossary term and put things under it.
Things like grenades, darts, etc. that way you could say "If an enemy within 6 squares has equipment this character may use that ability once...."

It seems like Dishonest could have something more to it to make it more desirable

Well, with three custom abilities, I erred on the side of caution; Kill Does let him move quicker, Dishonest Could be quite useful and the possibilities are pretty big; with Collaborator + Opportunist he could get a +12/30 shot off and multiple attack possibly from Independent ... so 22 was a shot in the Dark. I figured 16-22 and went cautious.
Lord_Ball
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 2:23:05 PM

surf_rider56 wrote:

Chevin Collaborator

Lots of Imps coming out to play...

Some interesting ideas, but I couldn't see investing the points in him when there are options more likely suited for the squad. As a Fringe I could see it having a place more so, but as imps, maybe drop Dishonest altogether (even though it helps add some flavor to the character) in favor of a cost reduction?
surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 2:33:48 PM

Lord_Ball wrote:

Lots of Imps coming out to play...

Some interesting ideas, but I couldn't see investing the points in him when there are options more likely suited for the squad. As a Fringe I could see it having a place more so, but as imps, maybe drop Dishonest altogether (even though it helps add some flavor to the character) in favor of a cost reduction?

.... and here we have my first example of what is it, fun, playable, thematic, or world changing.

Thematic - Yes
Meta - He1l No :)
Payable - Possibly if for no other reason than its something different and like Ehpant, maybe situational
Fun - Its a Chevin! Have you Ever played one?

Now, would it be worth it if it costed 16? I went with the upper end, should I have costed him at 16?
jen'ari
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 2:44:48 PM

Not neccesarily, but fun is also about a certain possibility of winning. Like it or not winning is fun.
If this piece is costed too far away from helping you be able to win, than I think it is not playable and not really fun.
If you think 16-22 and everyone is saying around 16 is fine, than maybe 18 to not rock the boat?

Like the Noghri Commando. good fun looking stats and abilities but it is never played.
surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 3:07:53 PM

jen'ari wrote:
Not neccesarily, but fun is also about a certain possibility of winning. Like it or not winning is fun.
If this piece is costed too far away from helping you be able to win, than I think it is not playable and not really fun.
If you think 16-22 and everyone is saying around 16 is fine, than maybe 18 to not rock the boat?

Like the Noghri Commando. good fun looking stats and abilities but it is never played.

Noghri - good example; a stealth piece that in the right situation, could, on its own without help, double +12/30 and yet he's never used. We've become so ingrained that a piece rated at 7.78 by the community 5 years ago is now .... unworthy. Somehow it makes me feel its not the Meta but the games broken. Probably +1700 mini's and only about 200-300 ever really see use if that. Something not right; no wonder so many want to play themed and not competative games now.

I almost made "non-human" as a contest requirement this week too .....
jen'ari
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 3:13:37 PM

surf_rider56 wrote:
jen'ari wrote:

Noghri - good example; a stealth piece that in the right situation, could, on its own without help, double +12/30 and yet he's never used. We've become so ingrained that a piece rated at 7.78 by the community 5 years ago is now .... unworthy. Somehow it makes me feel its not the Meta but the games broken. Probably +1700 mini's and only about 200-300 ever really see use if that. Something not right; no wonder so many want to play themed and not competative games now.

I almost made "non-human" as a contest requirement this week too .....

the nature of the beast without a cycling system. to cycle we would have to play test 3 or 4 sets and than make a "all-star list" would be a fun endeavor though.

shmi15
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 5:19:06 PM

surf_rider56 wrote:
So, a lil background to my character.

Last week, as I was creating the Custom Card Making FAQ, I wanted to include an example of how to create characters from scratch; kinda what custom mini creating is like in that you can swap body parts around or repaint various mini's. One illustration was colorizing a grey-scale pic. My example was this Chevin

Now, the only Chevin in the game is Ephant Mon; nice sculpt but almost useless unless the perfect situation arises. Now I've made a few Chevin cards, but they all seem to be the same type of character, some Fringer or Slaver. But this guy seemed to be a younger, more energetic type, so what would a younger Chevin feel like in the game?

Chevin Collaborator

Not much on Chevin's in Wook; they had " a poor reputation in much of the galaxy, partly due to their involvement in unsavory activitie like slaver and smuggling." But thats it? No, "During the Imperial era, most Chevin supported the Empire" they saw "themselves as opportunistic realists interested in self-safety" and "could walk or run almost as fast as more nimble-looking humanoids." They "could smell out their prey" but I already had a sense of what I could do, and limited ability requirements, hence Collaborator, Dishonest, and Move in for the Kill.

Peace,

surf

I'm confused on Dishonest right now. Could you clear up what it actually does for me?
surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 5:40:38 PM

shmi15 wrote:

I'm confused on Dishonest right now. Could you clear up what it actually does for me?

Example: An enemy Rodian Trader (or anybody else who has a Supplies ability) is within 6 squares of you; you can gain Grenades 10 or Heal 10 from him without actually being part of his squad or being adjacent; once each turn. Could have called it Thief I suppose.
swinefeld
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 6:16:41 PM

surf_rider56 wrote:
shmi15 wrote:

Example: An enemy Rodian Trader (or anybody else who has a Supplies ability) is within 6 squares of you; you can gain Grenades 10 or Heal 10 from him without actually being part of his squad or being adjacent; once each turn. Could have called it Thief I suppose.

That's helpful info, thanks! I thought maybe he was gaining the actual 'Supplies' ability, not what it was giving out.

Thief sounds better in context, but I certainly don't expect you to redo the card for our purposes here. :)

Edit: Wait, so is it 'on his turn' or any turn? Most stuff would only be usable on his turn. Relay Orders is a bit of an outlier there. I don't think it's a problem necessarily, but could a bit complicated to keep track of. (ie declare each turn).
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 6:35:35 PM

Rules-wise, you want Move in for the Kill to say "loses Speed 4" instead of "gains Speed 6". Speed 4 is a penalty, so it would override the higher Speed.