RegisterDonateLogin

Is more powerful than any Jedi!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

The game could use a Lobot-omy Options
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2021 6:11:46 PM
Groups: Member

adamb0nd wrote:
I question if all this effort is enough to get the desired results. It was mentioned 100 pts is still enough to hard counter most things. Would an even smaller pool be be advised? If MTG has 15 side cards, that's 25% of a deck. 50 pts in our SWM.

You bring up a very good point. I would be all for 50, but I thought most people would be against that strict of a reinforcement limit.

With 100 points you definitely have more flexibility. 50 points allows you 2 and a half groups of counters since reinforcements tend to come in groups of 20. While 100 points allows you 5 groups of reinforcements. Granted you can mix and match depending on the cost of each piece and what you need to counter.

--Fringe Reinforcements--
19 EV-9D9
15 Momaw Nadon
15 Ponda Baba, Galactic Criminal
12 LIN Demolitionmech
10 Treadwell Droid
8 Muun Tactics Broker
6 Buzz Droid
9 Mouse Droid x3
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
2 Kneesaa, Ewok Princess

(99pts. 12 activations)

In the above list I am able to counter a number of squads and hard counter a few. Strafe, diplomats, swarms, stealth, tanks, deep strikes and init control. Of course I can hard counter BX's and also have a hard counter to strafe.

--Reinforcements--
12 LIN Demolitionmech
10 Treadwell Droid
8 Muun Tactics Broker
6 Buzz Droid
9 Mouse Droid x3
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
2 Kneesaa, Ewok Princess

(50pts. 9 activations)

With 50 points in the above list I am forced to focus only on either my biggest NPE's or my squads biggest weaknesses. I think if we limited it to lower than 100 though it would be best to do in multiples of 20. So perhaps 60 points of reinforcements might be the sweet spot. That would be 15 points to build with per 50 points of the build total at 200. That would provide you with 3 groups which would be nicer for some of the less competitive reinforcement options.
DarkDracul
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2021 6:29:55 PM

adamb0nd wrote:
Rob ( I think you're right on that name) also wasn't ever too concerned (or calculating) with balance or mechanics. I remember him saying there was no formula to point costs. He just went with his gut. Lobot might work the way he does because it was Rob's first idea and no one challenged it until this thread.

I question if all this effort is enough to get the desired results. It was mentioned 100 pts is still enough to hard counter most things. Would an even smaller pool be be advised? If mtg has 15 side cards, that's 25% of a deck. 50 pts in our SWM.

Rob Watkins of Wizards of the Coast

Here's mine. I think 100pts is as low as I would want to go.

--100pts of Reinforcements--
13 Czerka Shield Technician
10 Defel Pirate
10 Droopy McCool
8 Muun Tactics Broker
16 R7 Astromech Droid x2
6 Buzz Droid
5 Salacious Crumb
4 Gran Raider
8 Prowler 1000 Seeker Droid x2
12 Mouse Droid x4
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
2 Kneesaa, Ewok Princess
(100pts. 18 activations)
adamb0nd
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2021 6:50:18 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Prowlers got low caste

Id throw in wicket/teek.
DarkDracul
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2021 7:27:22 PM

Oops! Yeah we wouldn't need to use low caste so much with a cap on reinforcement options. Characters like Unkar Plutt would be fine too as a Reinforcement. Because your 100pts of reinforcements would reflect the meta and your personal NPEs. Instead of the all you can eat buffet we have today.

Oh yeah, Kneesa and Teek should be like there everytime.
adamb0nd
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2021 7:31:42 PM

I would think players would just have a 100pt line up they use 99.9% of the time, with the occasional swap out. We all probably already do this, just not officially or under requirement by threat of death.
DarkDracul
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2021 8:00:56 PM

adamb0nd wrote:
I would think players would just have a 100pt line up they use 99.9% of the time, with the occasional swap out. We all probably already do this, just not officially or under requirement by threat of death.

Ehh. . . threat of death?! LOL
Most of us don't even want to play using Reinforcements. We just want to build cool squads and beat everyone with them.
When we do use Reinforcements we only have what we intend to bring and a couple of options in our squad box.
The change really only affects players seeking to break the game as we often see at Gencon or whenever Etienne plays.Flapper

Your Reinforcement Pool would change depending on your squad. Some characters you may only need in certain builds.
Hutt Cartel: Sy Snootles, Dug Thug, Teek,
Black Sun: Dug BSV, Twi'lek BSV, Bith BSV
Pilots: Klat Capt., Rio Durant, Young Anakin Skywalker,
Pirates: Warbird Gang Pirate, Ponda Baba, Galactic Criminal
Force Users: Loth-cat
Low Activations: Porgs
Crimson Dawn: Qi'ra
Ewoks: Teebo, Ewok Sentry

FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2021 8:11:48 PM

imyurhukaberry wrote:
I've always wondered why the characters brought in by Reinforcements are not simply worth their points...and instead you have to track down a 27 pt character and drop kick him once to get those points.

Is there an old game mechanic that WOTC (Rob was it?) wanted for that?
The glossary on here didn't help much.

I know that won't help much with the counter availability, but that's inherent with an old ability that has lasted thru how many sets in a game where competitiveness has created lower and lower costed characters to counter winning combos/squads.

But maybe changing that one thing will help a bit...

The original logic was (I think) to make Reinforcements weaker... all those extra guys you brought in? Your opponent doesn't actually have to kill them to win because they're just "extra". In a kill-em-all format, it's an advantage to not have to kill the Reinforcements to win. But then the logic (or lack thereof) carried over to the points-based game that those things you don't have to kill aren't worth points.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2021 6:04:50 AM

Total defeat versus points based victory does make sense for the original intent to what we have now.
Perhaps that's a good reason to just transfer the points from the character with Reinforcements (Lobot, etc) to the characters brought in by the SA...?

As for side boards, you guys are already helping people with those. Wink
DarkDracul
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2021 9:08:16 PM