RegisterDonateLogin

If you strike Bloo Milk down, it shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

The Mouse Droid Madness is No More! Options
billiv15
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 12:29:51 AM
Groups: Member

Sinister wrote:
I know it is not policy of WotC to comment on Spoilers but this was just way too big. Especially with all the money involved on the secondary market (and i know that Wotc does not care about the secondary market but this could have cost them players).
It isn't about policy per se, it's about contractual legality. Further, there really is no reason for WotC to do so from a business side of it anyways.
Mickey
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 11:51:54 AM

@dalsiandon: Yes I do think of evade as dodging a ranged attack. That is why I think an emplacement such as the Golan Turret should not be allowed to have it. It makes no sense. However, from a game mechanics standpoint it would be hard to separate all CE's that are given and not given to emplacements.
billiv15
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 12:47:29 PM

Mickey wrote:
@dalsiandon: Yes I do think of evade as dodging a ranged attack. That is why I think an emplacement such as the Golan Turret should not be allowed to have it. It makes no sense. However, from a game mechanics standpoint it would be hard to separate all CE's that are given and not given to emplacements.

And while I am aware that there are a few abilities that fit the following, having to have multiple names for the same ability makes the game more cumbersome, and more difficult to approach for the newbie. It might not make sense, but a Golan getting evade, vs getting some other more logically named ability keeps the game simpler over all (perhaps not in the particularly odd cases like this one, but I am speaking about the game as a whole).

In the end, abilities and powers are nothing more than an abstraction of that word that grants a particular game mechanic. Evade as a name, actually means nothing. Only under the game rules does it mean anything. Under the rules, it does not mean the target gets to try and weave around the attack. It simply means the target gets a save 11 vs non adjacent attacks.
Mickey
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 11:50:42 PM

In purely game mechanics terms yes. But there are tons of duplications at this point. Look at every jedi fighting style. All of those have meanings. I just like to see where something is coming from is all. To me evade is dodging an attack. A fig with a 0 attack means it has no weapons to launch an offense thus it should not be able to attack--ever. That's just my opinion anyway and not some petition to try to get some rules changed or errata added.
swmimperial130
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 11:59:19 PM

I don't care, my school will let it happen (no one has more than 2 mousies anyway.....)
Sithborg
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 1:43:52 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

billiv15 wrote:
Finally, understand this. Peter Lee did not work on this set. This was Rob's doing, and he left the company last April. Peter is fixing something that in the past, likely would never have been touched, and did so in a time frame that we have not seen with this game ever before. That has to be seen as a positive.

I want to say, this does give me a lot of hope about Peter Lee as a designer.
Millertime
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 2:44:34 AM

swmimperial130 wrote:
I don't care, my school will let it happen (no one has more than 2 mousies anyway.....)

So you are knowingly going to break the rules in a DCI sanctioned tournament? good luck with that one.
Mandelmauler
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 4:44:36 AM

Mickey wrote:
In purely game mechanics terms yes. But there are tons of duplications at this point. Look at every jedi fighting style. All of those have meanings. I just like to see where something is coming from is all. To me evade is dodging an attack. A fig with a 0 attack means it has no weapons to launch an offense thus it should not be able to attack--ever. That's just my opinion anyway and not some petition to try to get some rules changed or errata added.

Just for clarification:
I really think that you mean 0 damage. There are lots of pieces with 0 attack and 10 damage.
Mickey
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 6:53:54 AM

Doh yes LOL I do mean 0 damage.
Sithborg
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 12:54:04 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Millertime wrote:
swmimperial130 wrote:

So you are knowingly going to break the rules in a DCI sanctioned tournament? good luck with that one.

He isn't breaking DCI rules. He is breaking the GAME rules, as the rules insert is official.
Millertime
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 5:02:36 AM

Sithborg wrote:
Millertime wrote:
swmimperial130 wrote:

He isn't breaking DCI rules. He is breaking the GAME rules, as the rules insert is official.

yea thats what meant thank you.ThumpUp