RegisterDonateLogin

Has the high ground.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Last Call ... surf_rider56's Customs Options
surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 8:24:59 PM
Groups: Member

Why Gw, I didn't even think you peeked in here, although I've always valued your opinion. I've never been as scientific in my evaluations as you; I admittedly have been pretty much a strictly by the mini calculator guy and never looked at the synergy meta-wise. You're most likely right; I thought my comparison with the OR Trooper was valid Except for the Twin. Then again, this thread is my laboratory for trying things out.
kobayashimaru
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 2:49:16 AM

Many many thanks Surf!
Thats a perfect picture for the fettman survivor. BigGrin
He's actually something of a glass cannon; lord ball tested him out and thought so back in the day.
After having played Survivor for a while, I can agree. Its worth it for the look on an opponents face though, and his flexibility makes him pretty handy in 100pt games.
I think i'll need to put a CE on him though, just to make him not count as a follower (i can see some broken potential there...)
Jango Survivor was more than a match for GOWK any day! Direct damage always took GOWK's out! BigGrin

I think that Tsui Choi (which Lord Ball and myself nutted out over a few days) was the better piece to be honest. That, and in Dynamic Duo Tsui + Yoda GM made for a nasty pair!

I'm looking forward to more vehicles next, its been a while since you did the N1 and Bomber stats. Theyre actually what I was hoping for with SSB - same format and layout of the cards but maybe a different movement system and scale for the SSB game itself?

gwek
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 6:23:51 AM

surf_rider56 wrote:
Why Gw, I didn't even think you peeked in here, although I've always valued your opinion. I've never been as scientific in my evaluations as you; I admittedly have been pretty much a strictly by the mini calculator guy and never looked at the synergy meta-wise. You're most likely right; I thought my comparison with the OR Trooper was valid Except for the Twin. Then again, this thread is my laboratory for trying things out.

Hey, Surf, how's it going? Yeah, I do peek in here from time to time, although I don't often log-in. Still, you know a conversation about an Old Republic piece is often too much for me to resist. :)

I fully agree that the comparison to the OR Trooper is valid "except for Twin," but the value of Twin Attack is often underestimated, especially these days, with so many different options to get additional attacks (the Old Rep has at least the Jedi Exile and the OR Senator). Your Rusk can put out 120 in a single activation on his own; add the OR Rep (14 points?) and it gets up to 180. By comparison, the OR Trooper is half that.

I'm not saying you're doing the same thing here, but I've seen many times the issues with comparing to a single figure with threads that included "I priced the piece based on the Jedi Weapon Master."

If you're using a price calculator, especially if it's one that's been recently updated, I'd love to get my hands on it. Mine is woefully out of date (and was even out of date when WotC was still making minis), so, for example, Twin Attack is really priced for Twin Attack with Melee (whereas Twin Attack without is a whole different ballgame.

When I'm pricing, I WILL often start with the calculator anyway, but then I do a search on bloomilk for characters with a similar "core structure." My search criteria go like this:

1) Try to match attack type/frequency. If this is a Melee Attack character with Double/Twin, what other Melee/Double/Twin characters exist?

2) Similar stats? I try to match damage exactly, then get a range of maybe plus/minus 20 for HP, plus/minus 20 for Attack and Defense.

3) Droid? Savage? Unique?

Since you can run a search in seconds on bloomilk, I play with these criteria (and also look at faction--especially Fringe--and patterns) until I can see sort of a range of costs... then I hope for the best. It is, after all, both a science and an art, right?

Out of curiosity, I did a search "based on Rusk":

Hit Points: 40-80
Defense: 16-20
Attack: 8-12
Damage: 20
Has Twin Attack; Does not have Melee Attack

Those criteria produced 18 unique results, the majority of whom did not have iterative (Double or Triple) attacks, and the majority of whom were priced at 30+. In the broad results, 2 pieces for comparison jumped out at me: Argyus (who shares many of Rusk's abilities) and Carth Onasi, Old Repbulic Soldier (who shares a faction). Both are 29... but neither has iterative attacks or damage output that can match Rusk. (If I were really trying to price Rusk, I would look at the entire set of results, and possibly tweak the results to look for similar "builds").

Since I already know there's no Triple/Twin except GMLS, for example, I might look at Double/Twin/no Melee. There are three pieces with similar stats, the most expensive of which is Cad Bane at over 50. I would also look closely at Twin shooters in the faction (such as Mira, who shares Twin and Splash, and has similar stats, but no iterative attacks and clocks in at 40+).

surf_rider56
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 9:09:17 AM

gwek wrote:
I fully agree that the comparison to the OR Trooper is valid "except for Twin," but the value of Twin Attack is often underestimated, especially these days, with so many different options to get additional attacks (the Old Rep has at least the Jedi Exile and the OR Senator). Your Rusk can put out 120 in a single activation on his own; add the OR Rep (14 points?) and it gets up to 180. By comparison, the OR Trooper is half that.

I'm not saying you're doing the same thing here, but I've seen many times the issues with comparing to a single figure with threads that included "I priced the piece based on the Jedi Weapon Master."

If you're using a price calculator, especially if it's one that's been recently updated, I'd love to get my hands on it. Mine is woefully out of date (and was even out of date when WotC was still making minis), so, for example, Twin Attack is really priced for Twin Attack with Melee (whereas Twin Attack without is a whole different ballgame.

.... until I can see sort of a range of costs... then I hope for the best. It is, after all, both a science and an art, right?

Out of curiosity, I did a search "based on Rusk":

Hit Points: 40-80
Defense: 16-20
Attack: 8-12
Damage: 20
Has Twin Attack; Does not have Melee Attack

Those criteria produced 18 unique results, the majority of whom did not have iterative (Double or Triple) attacks, and the majority of whom were priced at 30+. In the broad results, 2 pieces for comparison jumped out at me: Argyus (who shares many of Rusk's abilities) and Carth Onasi, Old Repbulic Soldier (who shares a faction). Both are 29... but neither has iterative attacks or damage output that can match Rusk. (If I were really trying to price Rusk, I would look at the entire set of results, and possibly tweak the results to look for similar "builds").

Since I already know there's no Triple/Twin except GMLS, for example, I might look at Double/Twin/no Melee. There are three pieces with similar stats, the most expensive of which is Cad Bane at over 50. I would also look closely at Twin shooters in the faction (such as Mira, who shares Twin and Splash, and has similar stats, but no iterative attacks and clocks in at 40+).

You know, I wondered why I came out low; even I thought 27 was low. I redid the calculator and saw something; my mini calculator has two Twin Attack settings, a "single" Twin Attack and a Double, or multiple Twin Attack. I hit the singular one and it gave me 27; you use the Double and it came out 32. Now, as you said, this isn't rocket science so I always went with the idea of +/- 2, so it could have very easily been 34.

I looked at Carth, Mira and even Bao and frankly I always thought they'd been over costed by 2-3 so the comparison's now much closer. Also, the reason I added Splash was that Rusk was a bit of a wild card in that he didn't seem to worry about "collateral damage" as long as he got his target; hence the Splash idea.

As for the Calc I use, I haven't "updated" it in a year. It's an Excel program that I found on WOTC 4-5 years ago. When a new ability that's not listed is used, I try to find a comparable ability/cost and use it. It seems to work pretty decently, especially in the 20-40 range. It's a little easy going on the upper range and harsh below 15, then easy going again below 8. I try to use my best judgement then. Still when I update I'll send it on if you want it.

Again, this is why I have this thread, to give me a place to bounce ideas off of others. I don't see my group often enough. Although interestingly enough, I get as many RPG'ers as I do SWM people. Oh well, you can't please them all.
Deus Sol
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 1:49:47 PM

Maybe kick him to 32 and drop to double attack. He's still useful (i.e. exile, bastilla, senator) and not crazy op?
surf_rider56
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 8:56:32 PM

Deus Sol wrote:
Maybe kick him to 32 and drop to double attack. He's still useful (i.e. exile, bastilla, senator) and not crazy op?

Yes, but if I reduce Triple to Double I think he'd only be 28-29 .... I may do the Double strictly because I don't know enough about the character to justify it otherwise; he's not a "Hero" level player, just a dangerous companion.
gwek
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2012 6:44:40 AM

I'm not saying to get rid of Splash, but if you're looking to go with a bit of an "unpredictible" vibe, have you considered an Impulsive ability (the idea of sacrifice and benefiting from it is sort of a sub-theme for the Old Rep already). Maybe knock him to Double, give him Impulsive Twin? Or Implusive Double Attack... or Impulsive something else...

Another option for unpredictible would be flurry...

On the other hand, I know you do a ton of pieces, so perhaps this is too much discussion for just a single one. You know I'm at the other end of the spectrum and have been discussing and honing Gryph for five years now. :)
surf_rider56
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2012 7:57:51 AM

gwek wrote:
...on the other hand, I know you do a ton of pieces, so perhaps this is too much discussion for just a single one. You know I'm at the other end of the spectrum and have been discussing and honing Gryph for five years now. :)

You're probably right about overthinking my pieces; .... and speaking of Gryph isn't he coming out in the next V-Set or so? I'm sure you had a few things to say about him! BlooMilk
SquelchDog
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2012 4:47:43 AM

Hey surf, loving the latest cards! Woot Those are some really sweet pic's you found. Nice job on the cards! ThumpUp
surf_rider56
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2012 3:19:38 PM

SquelchDog wrote:
Hey surf, loving the latest cards! Woot Those are some really sweet pic's you found. Nice job on the cards! ThumpUp

Thanks Squelch. Long time no see. Anything in particular that you liked or just a general BlooMilk

Been busy with another birth in the family. Maybe by mid week I might have some more cards.
SquelchDog
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2012 3:43:43 PM

surf_rider56 wrote:
SquelchDog wrote:

Thanks Squelch. Long time no see. Anything in particular that you liked or just a general BlooMilk

Been busy with another birth in the family. Maybe by mid week I might have some more cards.

Your welcome. Ya, I've been out of the loop for a little while. Been working and busy at home. Well I glanced at some of the last card posts you had up. Didn't get a chance to read much on them yet. I bet you have quite a bit up that I haven't seen yet so gimme a little bit to go through them better and I'll let ya know dude. Smile

ThumpUp Cool beans, congrats on the new youngling.BlooMilk

I should have time tomorrow after I go golfing with my brother to catch up on your latest stuff.
surf_rider56
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2012 6:00:12 PM

Well, It's been a busy week and I have my next batch done; just have to prep them for upload; maybe by tomorrow night. Got , as usual, some new species and new ideas and a few interesting Jedi pieces. We'll see what the public has to say, yay or nay ..... BigGrin
surf_rider56
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2012 7:09:14 PM

Well, it’s been a busy couple of weeks to say the least and even though I’ve had most of these done for quite awhile, well, life happens. Yet again, some new ideas, new species, new generic Jedi species and a few rarely seen species. All in all, a little of everything. Comments always welcome, mistakes cheerfully reviewed and corrected. BigGrin

Agent Provocateur An idea and a rare Bith.

Barabel Hunter A Barabel probably doesn’t need blades of any kind, but I liked the pic.

Devaronian Tracker Another infrequent species.

Draethos Militia Wook doesn’t have much on this species, so again I’m just guessing at abilities.

Geonosian LR1K Sonic Cannon I don’t remember where I bumped into this but I thought it was an interesting idea.

Houk Bodyguard Wook says they’re as big & mean as Wookies.

Hysalrian Jedi Master A new species. Brownie points for those who know, without looking it up, who he is as a unique.

Impulsive Young Padawan Saw the pic and this is what popped into my head.

Kage Warrior I’m catching up on my Clone Wars TV characters; I might even get to all the bounty hunters I’ve collected from the show.

Kel Dor Explorer I liked the pic, which was originally a Jedi. Just wanted him to be a wandering galactic explorer.

Miraluka Thug I’m not even sure but most Miraluka seem to be Jedi. Here’s someone who isn’t.

Myneyrshi Warrior A new species. These guys apparently didn’t get along with the Vong at all.

Outer Rim Intelligence Broker A strange sci-fi pic that I’ll call “unidentified” and therefore throw into the Outer Rimm sub faction. The ability is a combo of the MTB and Dodonna’s CE. It was an idea. Interested in if/how well it works.

Outer Rim Pickpocket We have Trader’s that give abilities, so why not a thief that diminishes or takes abilities? Another “unidentified” species. Hey, like the pic, as usual.

Quarren Nomad An old Quarrren Jedi that’s decided to follow the flow of the Force, sorta like Master Zao.

Rattatakki Gunslinger A rarely seen species; otherwise just another gunslinger.

Revered Yuuzhan Vong Warrior Well, I’m not a Vong kinda guy, but I bumped into the pic .

Rodian Clansman Another Rodian to add to their Clans ….

Sakiyan Trooper I’ve had him for awhile; never been able to figure out what to really do with him, but hey, always room for another trooper.

Sith Foot Soldier A Brotherhood of Darkness type of soldier. Maybe I’ll change him to “Brotherhood of Darkness Foot Soldier.

Taris Undercity Refugee I remember reading somewhere that not everybody turned into a Rakghoul when infected; so, why not a Disease carrier. I’m still not sure of the wording. Suggestions?

Vultan Jedi Knight A new Vultan this week; an interesting mix of abilities off my random FP generator.

Wroonian Fringer A low cost common.

Yuzzem Spacer Not too many Yuzzem, so here you go …..

Zabrak Jedi Knight I liked the pic; another mix from the random FP generator.

Well, some new ideas and again, comments, corrections and such welcome.
Happy Memorial Day. BlooMilk
Bob Chizo
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 7:48:51 AM

Hey surf, how does your random FP generator work?
surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 8:41:53 AM

Bob Chizo wrote:
Hey surf, how does your random FP generator work?

My "Generator" isn't a program in and of itself, it's a dice program and my lists of Force abilities.

Padawan = 1-2 Force Powers, or FP
Knights = 3-4 FP
Masters 4+

All depending on how powerful you perceive the character ....

1. I use a Dice computer program to create however many sided dice I need.

If interested ... http://www.bigjoe666.com/index.php?menu=5

2. I've listed all force powers, by alpha, into 4 columns of ten, all lightsaber abilities into
one column of ten.

3. One roll to determine which columns I use (example, 3 FP, roll a 5 sided dice 3 times. Numbers coming up, 3,5,1
In order, use columns 3, 5, and 1.

4. Roll 3 ten sided dice; ex. random numbers 5,3,9 come up.

5. This character has whatever FP is in column 3, #5, column 5, #3, and Column 1, #9.

In my Generator, this character now has

Illusion

Lightsaber Defense

Force Cloak

I automatically give Masters Lightsaber Defense and roll for Knights. Padawan's usually get Deflect. You can create your own way or use this as an outline. A firce power that's too esoteric (Flowwalking) is left out; a force power to advanced for the level (a padawan would never have Force Repulse 5) is adjusted as I go. It all works for me.

It's an idea and you can use it or invent your own. BlooMilk
surf_rider56
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 7:27:19 AM

Depending on the wife's Honey Do list, I may have a set's worth by tomorrow night. No promises!

Especially if Bloo won't let me post anything over a sentence ....
surf_rider56
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 10:04:26 AM

Well, I took a break for awhile. End of the year activities, grading papers, etc. I actually had most of these done a month ago but hey life happens. I hope these go over better than the last set did. BigGrin

Comments, as usual looked for as well as corrections and questions ……

Bith Bounty Hunter A pic I created with a head swap. Always good to have more Bith ….

Darth Nihilus, Lord of Hunger I always thought the WOTC version was underpowered. I mean, the guy sucked a whole planet dry …. Apologies to the wording from Thought Bomb which I sorta borrowed …..

Taung War Chief Just trying to create some cheap Mando’s and some synergy for them with these two ….

Elite Taung Warrior

Feeorin Trooper Not much on Feeorin in Wook, but always welcome.

Galactic Alliance Heavy Trooper Everybody seemed to have a heavy weapon except the NR.

GenoHaradan Acolyte I thought that the GenHaradan must have a tiered order like everything else, so here’s their entry level killer.

Gungan Jedi Knight A generic Jedi and a strange mix of force powers.

IG-100-C Magna Commander First, I liked the pic ... second, if Grievous isn’t everywhere, shouldn’t they have their own commander? Just an idea …..

Jedi Holocron Someone asked and even though I’ve seen other people’s versions (and nice one’s at that, I thought I’d throw mine out here.

Kitonak Fighter Found the pic, said “Oh, New Species!” and then looked them up … useless because they’re so slow, but I figured, maybe if he gets you …. Hey, it’s a new species …..

Mirialan Smuggler I know, I know, but I liked the pic …. What the heck, she’s a pilot.

Mon Calamari Jedi Master Nahdar Vebb as the only Mon Cal Jedi doesn’t seem right.

Nar Shaddan Slum Dweller Wouldn’t this guy be the definition of Scum and Villiany?

Nautolan Jedi Knight I thought the Nautolan’s should have someone besides Kit.

NR-1100 Slicer Droid Athought about adding Master Slicer but since it’s not offensive in any way I didn’t see the point.

Outer Rim Mercenary Continuing my Outer Rim tendencies for making some nasty stuff from the outer regions, a mercenary with cloaked. He may not move if he’s engaged, but you can’t see him either. Brownie points if you recognize the species; yea, I liked the pic too ……

Outer Rim Thug I’d always wondered why A of O’s weren’t just called Backstab, so I created the ability; Quick Reactions boosts Attack, my Backstab boosts Damage.

Paigun Weapons Tech A new species with a shot at boosting Mounted Weapons.

Rakatan Warrior I had to work on this pic. The Infinite Empire seems to be popping up more so here’s another Rakatan in my mini Rakatan Faction.

Sith Commando He’s a little baby faced, but I thought the Sith needed commando’s and who said all killers need to look grubby?

Tatooine Moisture Prospector Another entry in my Tatooine sub faction. Not entirely happy with the name of the Jundland Waste ability, but until I or someone else comes up with something better …..

Veteran ARC Trooper A mini that combines the ARC with the ARC Sniper …..

White Maw Technician Not much on this TOR group yet, but hey, it’s a Duros that’s more offensive.

Zabrak Chief Bosun's Mate A Zabrak Pirate that bring’s the lookout/spotter ability into play.

Comments and discussions welcomed as always.
SquelchDog
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2012 8:08:15 AM

Blink Blink Blink Oh My Gosh!!! surf do you have any idea how far back I had to go to find where I last left off checking out your cards??? Dude........Page 6.........of this thread. December last year. Scared I have a lot of reading to do. Crying Your killing me surf.......your killing me. Unsure

lol Laugh Do you have ANY idea how long this is gonna take me to catch up?!?!?!?! ThumpUp

BlooMilk
surf_rider56
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2012 8:12:54 AM

SquelchDog wrote:
Blink Blink Blink Oh My Gosh!!! surf do you have any idea how far back I had to go to find where I last left off checking out your cards??? Dude........Page 6.........of this thread. December last year. Scared I have a lot of reading to do. Crying Your killing me surf.......your killing me. Unsure

lol Laugh Do you have ANY idea how long this is gonna take me to catch up?!?!?!?! ThumpUp

BlooMilk

I'd rather congratulate you on how busy your life has been that you had no time for your hobby. Im afraid to go back that far to see what I myself was thinking. Tell me what you think, good and bad. BlooMilk
SquelchDog
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2012 8:16:38 AM

surf_rider56 wrote:
SquelchDog wrote:

BlooMilk

I'd rather congratulate you on how busy your life has been that you had no time for your hobby. Im afraid to go back that far to see what I myself was thinking. Tell me what you think, good and bad. BlooMilk

Thanks buddy. Smile It's actually going pretty well. I can't complain. Other than how much catching up I have to do on your cards. LOL I'll let you know what I think, but don't expect that anytime soon. Flapper

Sigh.................my eyes hurt already.