RegisterDonateLogin

Is your only hope.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Last Call ... surf_rider56's Customs Options
qvos
Posted: Friday, March 2, 2012 11:59:24 PM
Groups: Member

The Cards look great! I love the Chevin! The CA would be awesome. Hope to see more.
Neifi
Posted: Saturday, March 3, 2012 6:16:03 AM

yeah, the cards are awesome, and I love the simplistic designs of so many of the pieces. And I wanna know where you get all the pics! (I have a heck of a time finding pics most of the time, you seem to have a never-ending supply!)

As far as this question posed:
Quote:
Neimoidian Ground Commander. Help for Neimoidian troops, and a lil nod to Nute with the new special ability. Curious about this one. Is he still worth playing or is the SA too scary.

I would have to say Cowardice (if 3 allies are not within 6, this character must retreat 6 squares) is kind of a cool idea, but it is probably a bit much in needing 3 allies - after a couple rounds, he could become pure hindrance to the user instead of help. In the least I would drop it to 2 allies, and would probably just go with 1. I also think more detail might be needed in the description as its difficult to tell what needs to be done as is. Maybe something like:

Cowardice (At the start of this characters turn, if there are no allies within 6 squares, he must retreat at least 6 squares away from the nearest enemy in the direction of an ally)

The problem will come in his being one of the last pieces on the board for your team though - he will constantly be running around the board aimlessly; unable to actually do anything else until someone just puts him out of his misery.

So maybe go really simple with a reverse Savage type ability:

Cowardice (This character must end its turn within 3 squares of an ally, if possible)

That way, he would still be able to attack if he is left so far out in the open (15+ squares away from an ally) that he was forced to fend for himself, but would also become useless if his nearby allies were taken out and he was left 9-15 away from another (he would be forced to move 7-12 squares to get within range of that next nearest, leaving him unable to attack that round)

I think that is the set-up which would make such a character the most interesting without limiting it completely. The character would have to bring something really important to the table though, as otherwise no one would want to use him Smile

That said, such an ability probably shouldn't be on a Commander though ~ you don't get such a rank if you are a coward, ya know.
surf_rider56
Posted: Saturday, March 3, 2012 8:44:53 AM

Neifi wrote:
yeah, the cards are awesome, and I love the simplistic designs of so many of the pieces. And I wanna know where you get all the pics! (I have a heck of a time finding pics most of the time, you seem to have a never-ending supply!)

As far as this question posed:
Quote:
Neimoidian Ground Commander. Help for Neimoidian troops, and a lil nod to Nute with the new special ability. Curious about this one. Is he still worth playing or is the SA too scary.

I would have to say Cowardice (if 3 allies are not within 6, this character must retreat 6 squares) is kind of a cool idea, but it is probably a bit much in needing 3 allies - after a couple rounds, he could become pure hindrance to the user instead of help. In the least I would drop it to 2 allies, and would probably just go with 1. I also think more detail might be needed in the description as its difficult to tell what needs to be done as is.

Thank you for the comments on the cards first of all. I try to keep them simple; I want to avoid the tendency to create fanboy uber pieces. The pics are part 1 of my hobbie (surfing the net for ideas and pics of species.) and of course part 2 is creating the cards themselves. Sometimes the pic gives me an idea, sometimes its reading something (like the Plagueis book.)

As to the Cowardice SA, I entirely see your point and I made a change to its wording. If you read this, an opinion on the new wording would be appreciated.

qvos wrote:
The CA would be awesome.

Thank you for the comments on the cards and the Chevin, but what did you mean by the "CA?"
Neifi
Posted: Saturday, March 3, 2012 6:51:16 PM

surf_rider56 wrote:
As to the Cowardice SA, I entirely see your point and I made a change to its wording. If you read this, an opinion on the new wording would be appreciated.

Of course! But huh, not sure I see the change... Where's it at?
surf_rider56
Posted: Sunday, March 4, 2012 3:00:40 AM

Neifi wrote:
surf_rider56 wrote:

Of course! But huh, not sure I see the change... Where's it at?

I changed the card to read

Cowardice (If at least 3 allies are not within 6 squares of this character, this character must end its move adjacent to an ally if it can (if it can’t reach an ally, it moves normally.)

I take it you didn't reread the card. BigGrin
Neifi
Posted: Sunday, March 4, 2012 6:57:29 AM

hahaha, nah, it didnt change:

so there Flapper

Anyway, much better though - can better understand the ability without confusion after the change.
surf_rider56
Posted: Sunday, March 4, 2012 2:00:57 PM

@Neifi Well, if you think it's more clear (in your roundabout way,) I guess that's what I was aiming for.

I've been thinking sub-factions. Both the V-Sets and I have done Tyber Zann, Silri, and a Defiler, and I've also done a Urai Fen, an Ewok Bomb and an Ewok Bomb Handler. I've done several Rakatan pieces from the Old KOTOR game (I want to see more of the Dawn of the Jedi before I do more) and I've definitely made a large dent in Fringer, Pirate and Spacer groups. I've also done a few generic Black Sun pieces and of course my own generic Jedi Order.

I've done the occasional Chiss piece and released a few of them. I've had some Hapan pieces that have been on the backburner since last summer so I suppose I could release them out. I've boosted the Tuskens, Bespin, started on more Naboo ... I'm not sure what other sub-factions I could work on? More of all the above? Maybe Point Nadir, White Thranta, Crimson Nova, Nym's Pirates, Czerka, Genoharadan, Imperial Remnant ... any ideas or opinions would be great ... otherwise I'll just continue to doodle along ......
Neifi
Posted: Monday, March 5, 2012 11:51:47 AM

lol, just to be clear this is the change I think is much clearer for all

Quote:
Cowardice (If at least 3 allies are not within 6 squares of this character, this character must end its move adjacent to an ally if it can (if it can’t reach an ally, it moves normally.)

(I just don't see it on the card; maybe I need to refresh my browser or something?)

As far as other sub-sets; yeah, you have bitten off a ton already and have done a great job touching so many with solid pieces. Eventually I am going to at least have to go through and print out all your Pirate's for some play, as it would be cool to run Hondo with a few more of the options you have provided.
surf_rider56
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2012 3:16:03 AM

Neifi wrote:
lAs far as other sub-sets; yeah, you have bitten off a ton already and have done a great job touching so many with solid pieces. Eventually I am going to at least have to go through and print out all your Pirate's for some play, as it would be cool to run Hondo with a few more of the options you have provided.

Actually, Pirates are another sub-faction I haven't hit as hard as I could .... hmmmm. Lots of Pirates out there.
surf_rider56
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 2:25:10 PM

Well, all I can say is I may have another batch this weekend and I've been thinking sub-factions ..... I've also got some fun ideas that have popped into my head .....

By the way, I've lost track of what generic Jedi I've tossed out; any particular species request? Right now I'm leaning towards a Quarren, Bith, or Cerean Jedi.
surf_rider56
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2012 4:11:26 PM

I’ve noticed I’ve been leaning towards sub factions a lot more lately. The Imps, Rebel’s and Republic have never really needed help, the Old Republic, Separatists and Mandalorians have been given a lot of love post WOTC, the Sith and New Republic seem to always veer towards unique’s, I’ve never been much of a Vong scholar so I bow to the V-Set experts in that one and the Fringe are the Fringe … and the safest and best place to create new sub factions.
The Chiss, Black Sun, and Zann Consortium have either already gotten some good pieces going or are in the process of it. I’ve tossed out a fair number of generic Jedi, Tusken, Bespin, Naboo, Fringer, Spacer, and Pirate pieces in the last few months; I’m waiting for more Dawn of the Jedi Rakatan info and I’m working on another new sub faction I’ve recently examined more closely. So, in alpha order just because …… BigGrin

Antarian Ranger Commander. I saw this pick when I was researching Rangers; I said why not so he’s one of my token Republic pieces this time around.

Black Sun Leader Alexi Garyn. He was the leader before Xizor ,so I guess he’s a slightly different take on a Black Sun Head.

Borstel Ion Cannon Emplacement. There’s been talk of more vehicles so I thought while a planetary Ion Cannon is too big, why not something like an Ion Gun emplacement. Curious to see how it would last in a fight with an AT-AT; bet it could take out an AT-ST before it gets killed … may have to try this one next week.

Calo Nord, Exchange Bounty Hunter. I always thought he had potential but the mini Just missed. I started researching him to get a better feel and discovered the Exchange; for want of a better description the Old Republic equivalent of Black Sun.

Czerka Corporate Administrator. Another addition to my Czerka sub faction, along with a Czerka droid.

Czerka Security Droid.

Dantooine Pirate. Only so much you can do with scum … or villainy. Still, we have no one from Dantooine.

Echani Warrior. Since the Echani were a warrior race I thought I’d create a Melee Echani.

Elite Bando Gorda Killer. Another take on the Bando Gorda.

Espo Trooper. The Corporate Sector was rather large in the early Star Wars books centered on Han and Lando so here’s an Espo; worthy of a sub faction? Probably not, but a nuisance piece definitely.

Exchange Assassin. The Exchange is the new sub faction that I’m creating. It first popped up in the old KOTOR game; I never played it but it sounded fascinating enough, as a Black Sun precursor, to be worth the effort. Got the pic from one of the RPG books.

Exchange Crime Boss. This is supposed to represent a Quarren, Loppak Slusk, but I decided to opt out of making it unique.

Exchange Enforcer. An Exchange Quarren thug.

Exchange Smuggler. An interesting pic I used as an Exchange smuggler.

Gamorrean Pirate. I believe this guy’s name in the EU is “Tront” but I didn’t think he was worth making as a unique. Still, another Pirate for the mix.

GO-TO. The Exchange head in this story. I think there’s someone higher up but they didn’t say much in Wook. Not sure if I got the “flavor” of this one but hey it’s a crapshoot making amateur stats anyway.

Hapan Investigator. I’ve already got a Tenel Ka, so I thought I’d whip up a Hapes Consortium sub faction. Again, not much from Wook about the Hapan military; Names of units/parts of the military but not much detail so I winged it on some things.

Hapan Royal Agent. So what’s the difference in an Agent and an Investigator? The Agent is pretty offensive minded and the Investigator is more of a sneak.

Hapan Royal Bodyguard. A Hapan Force user.

Hapan Security Technician. An interesting item about the Hapan’s is their use of Personal Shield’s. So someone’s got to supply them.

Hapan Select Commando. One of the few named/described Hapan military.

Minelayer Droid. The Chameleon droid intrigued me and with the V-Set Proximity Mine abilty, I thought I’d try an offshoot.

Naa'leth, Nightsister. The growing Nightsister faction needed another unique besides Mother T and Ventriss.

Naboo Bomber. Another piece for my Naboo group.

Outer Rim Emissary. I wanted to create an unknown diplomat that was reasonably immune, a mysterious character that was slightly dangerous and just defensive enough that he would require a concerted effort to kill and not “accidently” die.

Rodian Pirate Captain. Someone other than Hondo to command the Pirate’s and a slightly different option from the Theelin Pirate's First Mate from my last set.

Separatist Stealth Scout. The only access to Recon that the Sep’s have is Nym and Lobot, CLO. So why not; made the piece a sentient rather than a droid for fun.

Trianii Ranger. A new Trianii for fun. I’m intrigued by the Ranger category.

Vestara Khai. Haven’t read the last Fate of the Jedi book, but I thought I’d try her. Had to work to create an acceptable pic that I liked. Slightly more experienced than Ben so slightly more powerful. I’m sure he’ll be stronger as they get older … he IS a Skywalker after all. Vestara is my token Sith.

Ysalamir. Not sure how a group of these would work, creating the supposed Immunity Bubble a group would make so I ignored that. Not sure how to cost him so …..

Actually a lot of these just came to me. I tried to make a concerted effort creating the Hapan, Pirate, and Exchange factions. I didn’t include any generic Jedi because no one spoke up so …. Hope these are acceptable. Comments always welcomed. Enjoy. BlooMilk
Neifi
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2012 9:16:42 AM

Awesome as always!

That Exchange Crime Boss looks really close to the Quarren Assassin mini we have already too, so added bonus for having a pre-existing stand-in that is so perfect!

And while its not a big deal, you may not have spotted that "Exchange" is missing the C on the Calo Nord.

surf_rider56
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2012 9:25:02 AM

Neifi wrote:
Awesome as always!

That Exchange Crime Boss looks really close to the Quarren Assassin mini we have already too, so added bonus for having a pre-existing stand-in that is so perfect!

And while its not a big deal, you may not have spotted that "Exchange" is missing the C on the Calo Nord.

I actually wonder about the Quarren Assassin; might have been they wanted him in there but as a non-unique. I thought he was a little underpowered for a "Boss" so I gave him some umph. Good catch on the Exchange; I guess I go brain dead at night ... my wife would agree.
Neifi
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2012 9:32:26 AM

surf_rider56 wrote:
Good catch on the Exchange; I guess I go brain dead at night ... my wife would agree.

Lucky; spelling is my 24-hour Bane Unsure
surf_rider56
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2012 9:47:42 AM

Neifi wrote:
surf_rider56 wrote:
Good catch on the Exchange; I guess I go brain dead at night ... my wife would agree.

Lucky; spelling is my 24-hour Bane Unsure

I fixed the card. What do you think about the Exchange as a mini sub faction? I never played the KOTOR game.
Neifi
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2012 9:54:04 AM

either have I, so beats me BigGrin

Your minis ideas look cool though, and one can never go wrong with more sub-sets!
surf_rider56
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2012 9:11:00 AM

Well, back from my Spring Training Baseball, so I may have some new ones next weekend. Any preferances on generic Jedi species that I haven't done yet?
Derf
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 1:05:53 AM

Wow ! Exchange and hapan characters are awesome !
I'd like to see some Nar Shaddan characters and new bounty hunters from TCW.
:)
Generic Jedi Species : Lepi, Chagrian, Zelosian, Celegian, Colicoid :) :) :)
kobayashimaru
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 6:49:07 AM

Big second on the Collicoid both for generic jedi and as smugglers/fringe pieces...
I dont think Bothans have been made as a jedi yet... they might be interesting.

Things like blaster turrets, traps and other types of interest also make for exciting cards. Maybe terrain cards? maybe a droid dispenser?
I just saw a repeat of TCW; where Obi Dooku and Ani are imprisoned by Onaka; I love the R5 with a machinegun bolted to its head! BigGrin

Looks like my R1-G "Gray" 5 will be hunting for an upgrade soon in RPG, im thinking of custom fitting a miniaturised concealable repeating blaster on the little guy, but it would take away the mechanic skill set (and most of the usefulness of the character)... unless I make the R1-G5 character have a 'wardrobe" of interchangeable chasis... sorta like the Thunderbirds hangar and pods for TB2 (for fans of that show).
surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 5:37:28 PM

Derf wrote:
Wow ! Exchange and hapan characters are awesome !
I'd like to see some Nar Shaddan characters and new bounty hunters from TCW.
Generic Jedi Species : Lepi, Chagrian, Zelosian, Celegian, Colicoid

Glad you liked the Exchange and Hapan; I wanted another small sub faction. I did a Chagrian Jedi awhile ago. Not sure about a Celegian Jedi; The OR Celegian Jedi is basically a Telekinetic/Battle Meditation piece; not sure its worth it. A Lepi ... possible. Zelosian very possible.

I've done a few Nar Shaddan characters and already had a piece in the next batch. I have pics for the latest CW BH's but was sorta waiting for hopefully a little more info.

kobayashimaru wrote:
Big second on the Collicoid both for generic jedi and as smugglers/fringe pieces...
I dont think Bothans have been made as a jedi yet... they might be interesting.

Things like blaster turrets, traps and other types of interest also make for exciting cards. Maybe terrain cards? maybe a droid dispenser?

I've got a Collicoid pic I like ....I've also got a Bothan already made. Didn't I release that?? Just did a big Ion gun; not sure about other structures/gimmicks. Hmmmmmm. Still on your never ending quest for more droids huh? BigGrin I may already have 1-2 more ready ....